Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Glacie NP and Banff

Started by hogfan870, October 04, 2016, 02:12:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfan870

I am about to start planning a family trip (kids will be 14 and 16) to Glacier National Park and Banff for next July.  Thinking we will fly to Calgary, rent a car, spend 2 or 3 days at Banff, drive to Glacier, spend 5 or 6 days there, then drive back to Calgary and fly home.  May have some other family meet/join us.  Any and all suggestions welcome and appreciated. 

Atlhogfan1

October 04, 2016, 02:30:25 pm #1 Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 02:47:55 pm by Atlhogfan1
Been to Glacier.  Some of my favorite hikes I have been on in any NP.  Beautiful of course.  BUY BEAR SPRAY.  Not kidding.  I've been to other parks in the West like Yellowstone, Tetons and in California.  You will see bears in Glacier- grizzlies and black bears.  The grizzlies are amazing in the wild but also terrifying when you think about what could happen.  Hike on popular trails especially with the kids.  Trails like the Hidden Lake Overlook aren't too bad if you are in decent shape and safe.  Kids and old people go on it.  And the view from the top is amazing.  Now if you decide to go on down to the lake, this is where you will get into Grizzly country.  Not a bad hike if you are in shape though. Grinnell Lake Hike is cool too.  Again, grizzlies are seen around these trails though.

July will be crowded.  Parking will be at a premium so you will probably have to get going early.  Where are you staying?  We stayed in Kalispell.  Whitefish is another great option with restaurants and nightlife.  You can probably get a condo/townhome around Whitefish if you book early.  The park lodges are in beautiful settings.  Just too rustic for us especially the wife.  Saw the Many Glacier and McDonald lodges.  Good restaurant/bar in McDonald Lodge and you can relax in the back of it and enjoy the lake view.  Didn't ride the red bus tour or the boat on Lake McDonald.  Hope to get up to Banff someday.  Speaking of Canada, Glacier draws a lot of Canadians.  The East side of the park where you will come in from Canada doesn't have a lot of civilization.  The towns are on the West side. 

Kalispell has a nice airport for a region like that if you don't want to go back to Calgary. 

One last thing, hope some idiot or storm doesn't start forest fires in Washington, Idaho or Montana.  Last couple of trips out that way, had to smell smoke and deal with some hazy days due to fires out there. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ur

October 05, 2016, 07:51:17 pm #2 Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 08:53:04 pm by ur
My son worked this summer in Yosemite. Saw 7 bears while hiking. All brown. He was considering Glacier or Yellowstone but after experiencing bears on a trail and then seeing and hearing what grizzlies will do, he wouldn't hike either park without a large group or gun. Earlier this summer a US Forest Service officer near Glacier surprised a grizzly while on his mountain bike and it killed him. Here is the most recent attack.

kodiakisland

I've hunted on the southwest border of Banff several times.  Beautiful country.  Tons of grizzlies.

My 25th wedding anniversary is this winter.  My wife and I were going to go to the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, but decided to go to Italy instead.  Maybe next year.  I really want to be there when the lake is frozen.

You should have a great time.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Jek Tono Porkins

Went to Glacier over July 4. Camped at 2 car campgrounds and 1 backcountry campground at kintla lake on the northwest side of the park. Was awesome. It was summer but night lows were still in upper 30's at night so bring warm stuff. We went rafting with glacier raft company. Highly recommended. They also rent camping gear. Are you planning on camping at the car campgrounds or backcountry camping?
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on November 10, 2016, 07:17:36 pm
Went to Glacier over July 4. Camped at 2 car campgrounds and 1 backcountry campground at kintla lake on the northwest side of the park. Was awesome. It was summer but night lows were still in upper 30's at night so bring warm stuff. We went rafting with glacier raft company. Highly recommended. They also rent camping gear. Are you planning on camping at the car campgrounds or backcountry camping?

We stayed in Banff while skiing Lake Louise several years ago. Beautiful place in the winter.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

kingoftherapids

Bump Heading to Banff this July for my honeymoon

ridgehog88

We took the kids to Banff a couple of years ago and they were about the same age as your kids.  We went the first week in July which happens to be their Fourth of July season as well.  We stayed at the Fairmont Chateau in Banff.  There is also a Fairmont Chateau at Lake Louise.  I believe the one at Banff is the original.  The hotel at Banff is within walking distance from the town.  We ate a couple of meals on the back veranda of the hotel and the views are awesome.  Banff is a cool ski town with lots of good restaurants and shopping places for the women. 

We did a lot of hiking around Lake Louise.  I think it is about 30-40 minutes from Banff. We went on one long hike from the around the Lake and made it way up to one of the hiking stations (thought I was going to pass out!) and ran into some Hog fans.  Heard a big Woo Pig as we were walking up.

We also did some white water rafting while we were there.  It wasn't crazy dangerous but a lot of fun.  The whole area is just beautiful.  You can take a picture from just about any direction. 

We flew in and out of Calgary and the Calgary Stampede rodeo was going on while we were there so we spent one day there too.  That was pretty cool.  Ate a lot of Poutine.  In general we enjoyed the whole trip and would go back, the kids loved it.  It didn't hurt that it was about 70-80 degree highs during the days and jacket weather at night. 

ridgehog88

whoops, just saw he original post was over two years ago.  getting old.