Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sanibel Island

Started by HawgWild, March 02, 2015, 05:12:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgWild

Thinking about going. Never been. Any travel tips for me from previous visitors?

TIA

Boarcephus

We went several years ago after seeing a segment on it and Captiva Island on the old Run Away With the Rich and Famous show,  so I'm not sure I can help out much.  The thing I remember the most is the amount of people out before dawn with flashlights looking for shells.  There were so many broken shells on the beach you had to wear shoes or you'd cut the heck out of your feet.    I'm sure you'll have a good time. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

HawgWild

I'd read somewhere that it was the number 1 beach for shelling. I'm just looking for a cottage that's on the beach to kick back and relax for a week. Don't need a lot of stimulation at my age.  :)

Boarcephus

Quote from: HawgWild on March 03, 2015, 01:41:43 pm
I'd read somewhere that it was the number 1 beach for shelling. I'm just looking for a cottage that's on the beach to kick back and relax for a week. Don't need a lot of stimulation at my age.  :)

It's called "The Sanibel Stoop".  Everyone walks bent over looking for shells.  But you know when you have that many shells you've got somewhat of an odor and the beaches are not as pristine as other places in Florida but if you're going for shells, you won't find a better place.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Reservoir Hogs

We went a few years back, really enjoyed it.  Not nearly as crowded as the "gulf beaches"...
Water is nice not perfect but again much better than the gulf coast.
The shells are everywhere but take flip flops to the beach and you are fine. 
Sanibel and Capitiva both have really cool little town feels, doesnt feel too much like a tourist trap at all, thats what I liked about it.
Fly into Ft Meyers and its about a 45 min trip to the island.

HawgWild

Thanks for the info. Sounds good to me. I've booked a 9 night stay this coming fall.

Reservoir Hogs

Quote from: HawgWild on April 03, 2015, 10:17:26 am
Thanks for the info. Sounds good to me. I've booked a 9 night stay this coming fall.

Where you staying at?
We got a really cool beach cottage from sanibel island inn I think it was

HawgWild

We're staying in one of the beachfront cottages at the Waterside Inn. When you going?

Reservoir Hogs

Quote from: HawgWild on May 04, 2015, 04:42:04 pm
We're staying in one of the beachfront cottages at the Waterside Inn. When you going?

we were there last summer... late july

cpohog

I have been to Sanibel/Captiva Islands no fewer then say a dozen times. I like getting away from the hustle and bustle of city life and getting on the Island and JUST CHILLIN!!!

Great food, RC Otter's, Lazy Flamingo, Jacaranda and Matzaluna just to name a few and no trip is complete without a night at The Bubble Room where the deserts are so big you will have to get a to go box for half of it.

I always use a couple of websites:

VRBO.com
Homeaway.com

Last time I was there I rented a 2 bedroom house right across from the beach. It was part of the Sunset Captiva properties. They have a lot of rentals and the one I had was directly across from the beach. On the backside of the property was the bay so there was a dock to fish from. There is also a pool so when my daughter and I got finished in the hot sun at the beach we headed to the pool to cool off.
There are realtors on the Islands you can contact and they will assist if needed in finding you a place.

I live in Jacksonville Florida and when I need a quick getaway this is where I head.
If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.
Good luck and enjoy!!!

HawgWild

Thanks for the tips. Chillin is exactly what I'm looking for. We used to take vacations that I'd return from worn out. Not any more. I like to go some place without an itinerary and just hang out with the locals. Seems like the folks that go to Sanibel really like it and return often from the threads I've read on Trip Advisor. We've got a cottage right on the beach.

What if I wanted to take a day trip to the Everglades. Is that doable in a day?

cpohog

HW

Of all the questions you would have to ask the one I do not have an answer for, LOL!!
I have never been to the Everglades so I am not sure if it can be done in a day trip or not.

Lando Calrissian

You may not be able to make it to the Everglades proper in a day, there are many other swamps and such that are much closer that offer hiking, airboat rides, and stuff like that.

We're going in a month and I can't wait.  Like cpohog, I've probably been down there about a dozen times.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

HawgWild

Do you rent a bike while you're there? Got some restaurant tips for me? Secret shelling spots to share? Tip on which bug spray to use? I hear those noseeums can be brutal.

bplease

We stopped at Sanibel on the way down to Marco Island over christmas and it seemed like a nice place to just relax for a week or so.
Quote from: Feralhog on April 09, 2012, 07:30:33 pm
Didn't respond to the poll.  If a football coach is responsible for teaching my son morality, I'm not much of a Father.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: HawgWild on June 02, 2015, 12:12:53 pm
Do you rent a bike while you're there? Got some restaurant tips for me? Secret shelling spots to share? Tip on which bug spray to use? I hear those noseeums can be brutal.

We've biked around the island before.  Alos the Ding Darling nature walk is worth checking out if you want to kill an hour or two.  It will be very hot so be prepared. 

There's not really any secret shelling spots.  You'll see when you get there.  I do recommend beach shoes, especially if you are taking children.  This isn't warm, powdery sand beach.  It's shells...nothing but shells, but you'll find/see some interesting stuff.

They've added many more restaurants to the island since I spent regular time there (this is a good thing).  Back 10-15 years ago there wasn't much to choose from.  My favorite is the Bubble Room.  It has been there a long time.  The google reviews (as with most things in the world) do not do it justice and IMHO is a definite *must* if you are spending any amount of time on Sanibel/Captiva.

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

HawgWild

Thanks for the info. I ordered a pair of beach shoes after reading this recommendation from others. My wife's a big seashell fanatic and I'm guessing she's really going to enjoy shelling here. We're going in late October/early November so I'm hoping it won't be as hot. I'll make sure the Bubble Room in on my list.

I've read some really good things about the Farmer's Market. Have you ever been to that?

Lando Calrissian

I have not.  There is a welcome center as soon as you get on the island that will get you info on just about everything.

I also recommend going to Ft Myers to see Edison's winter home if you can spare the time.  Same goes with a trip to Ft Myers Beach and the pier (it's more a traditional Florida beach and a nice change up from the shells of Sanibel).

You picked a great place to go and you will not run out of things to do.

HawgWild

Information on Sanibel Island has the island at 3 feet above sea level. Irma storm surge predictions are for 10 - 15 feet. That places the entire island under water. How do you survive that?