Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

IRL Barber

Started by 2FNFST4U, January 03, 2013, 01:45:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

2FNFST4U

Anyone been to Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham? Was thinking of going for the IRL race first weekend in April. We have some friends that live there so we can hang out and catch the race.

Was curious best places to sit to see the most action.

10thPlanet

Quote from: 2FNFST4U on January 03, 2013, 01:45:15 am
Anyone been to Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham? Was thinking of going for the IRL race first weekend in April. We have some friends that live there so we can hang out and catch the race.

Was curious best places to sit to see the most action.
I have been there on a lapping day about 7yrs ago. I sold a RD350 roadrace bike to a guy from New Zealand. He paid me more than it was worth to haul it there. Tornado sirens went off twice that day and the guy was going nuts, thinking he was going to die. I became a weatherman. Ok, back to your question it's beautiful there, elevation changes are awesome, especially for bikes. You will have free roam of the property for the most part. With the IRL there they may put up bleachers, hopefully keep people away from the guardrails, any other time you can get too close. For bikes and sports car events people sit on the hills, turns 12, 13, 14, 15, and 16 are after a long upward straightaway. Turn 16 is a 2nd gear turn for 600cc bikes and people get off all the time into the sand traps. Lots of braking, shifting after high speeds, plus I don't know if they will come off the ground like bikes over the elevation changes, but it's awesome. Take time to head over to the museum it's worth it, even if you don't like bikes. It's every bit as nice as Sears point, and cleaner than Daytona(bikes). Have fun!

2FNFST4U

Quote from: dkwvike on January 03, 2013, 01:27:42 pm
I have been there on a lapping day about 7yrs ago. I sold a RD350 roadrace bike to a guy from New Zealand. He paid me more than it was worth to haul it there. Tornado sirens went off twice that day and the guy was going nuts, thinking he was going to die. I became a weatherman. Ok, back to your question it's beautiful there, elevation changes are awesome, especially for bikes. You will have free roam of the property for the most part. With the IRL there they may put up bleachers, hopefully keep people away from the guardrails, any other time you can get too close. For bikes and sports car events people sit on the hills, turns 12, 13, 14, 15, and 16 are after a long upward straightaway. Turn 16 is a 2nd gear turn for 600cc bikes and people get off all the time into the sand traps. Lots of braking, shifting after high speeds, plus I don't know if they will come off the ground like bikes over the elevation changes, but it's awesome. Take time to head over to the museum it's worth it, even if you don't like bikes. It's every bit as nice as Sears point, and cleaner than Daytona(bikes). Have fun!

I have sat in the infield at Daytona to watch the bikes race. Great action all day.

SC-RAZOR

Quote from: 2FNFST4U on January 05, 2013, 03:08:02 am
I have sat in the infield at Daytona to watch the bikes race. Great action all day.
Me too. What a rush! Barber is beautiful. I am thinking about going to the race myself. My son goes to school in Birmingham so it would be a chance to see him too.

TorsinAHog

January 08, 2013, 08:20:15 pm #4 Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 05:46:17 am by TorsinAHog
Porsche driving school here. Not much passing for Indy cars until last year. You must go to the museum. Lots of lotus and cycles

I meant that I did the Porsche driving school at the track.
To borrow from Mark Twain, there are three kinds of lies:
lies, darned lies, and the UA Athletic Department.

http://foas.us/images/sigs/hamilton.jpg

SC-RAZOR

Quote from: TorsinAHog on January 08, 2013, 08:20:15 pm
Porsche driving school here. Not much passing for Indy cars until last year. You must go to the museum. Lots of lotus and cycles

I meant that I did the Porsche driving school at the track.
I'll bet that was a friggin blast!

TorsinAHog

Quote from: SC-RAZOR on January 09, 2013, 02:27:39 pm
I'll bet that was a friggin blast!

I've been lucky. Won the school at the dealership. It was a blast. Did the 2 day course. Autocrossing was the most fun. The museum is just amazing and there is nothing like it ...anywhere ..
To borrow from Mark Twain, there are three kinds of lies:
lies, darned lies, and the UA Athletic Department.

http://foas.us/images/sigs/hamilton.jpg