Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is it possible that the powers that be are waiting ......

Started by hogfanmd, November 23, 2017, 08:39:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfanmd

To see if Guss or another primary target such as Norvell will come and if can't get a good candidate keep Bielema another year to decrease the buyout and hope better situation for coaching candidates next time around. ???

I believe he will be let go tomorrow or Saturday but I'm just wondering if it's 100%

KCRazorbackfan

Quote from: hogfanmd on November 23, 2017, 08:39:11 pm
To see if Guss or another primary target such as Norvell will come and if can't get a good candidate keep Bielema another year to decrease the buyout and hope better situation for coaching candidates next time around. ???

I believe he will be let go tomorrow or Saturday but I'm just wondering if it's 100%

Yeah, that what I thought in the post "Tomorrow it's Over".  Just have this funny feeling that it may not be over for another year.
Life took me to Central Florida, but I'll always be a Razorback.

HoginIllinois

I don't understand the waiting till next year argument. Is there going to be a whole new pool of candidates available next year that aren't available this year? If they all get hired this year they sure as heck won't be available next year.

Großer Kriegschwein

No.

Bret has been notified.

The team suspects it is going to happen shortly after the game.

He's out Saturday.

Monday at the latest.

This is my non-signature signature.

Arkansas Fan

I just don't see how they let Bielema stay another year for terrible football and an empty stadium just because they couldn't hire someone else.

Forget Gus, Norvell would come here in a heartbeat.

jgphillips3

Whether it is a hope or a fear that leads some to this Bret in 2018 thing...let it go.  He's done.  We are just doing the classy thing and letting him coach his kids AND hunt for a job before being let go (which is always easier).  However, as others have stated, sometime between Saturday and Monday he will either resign or be fired. 

bphi11ips

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on November 23, 2017, 08:51:18 pm
I just don't see how they let Bielema stay another year for terrible football and an empty stadium just because they couldn't hire someone else.

Do you know that?  He'd be fine with me, but do you know who is on the list and in what order?

No one here knows what is going to happen or when.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

HogPharmer

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 23, 2017, 08:57:33 pm
Do you know that?  He'd be fine with me, but do you know who is on the list and in what order?

No one knows anything if you ask me.

hogfanmd

I don't want Beliema another year
I also don't want a mediocre candidate for 5 yrs
My personal thought is that
The job is Gus till he refuses it
Then Norvell
Then -------gets more complicated

BigoBoys

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on November 23, 2017, 08:50:32 pm
No.

Bret has been notified.

The team suspects it is going to happen shortly after the game.

He's out Saturday.

Monday at the latest.

This is correct

RockyMtnHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 23, 2017, 08:57:33 pm

The order is:

1) Gus
2) Norvell
3) Leach

It is Gus's to turn down.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

Danny J

Also what may be a very real possibility especially with a interim AD is that we may wait a while before anything official is mentioned. The AD situation can be used as a reason for not hiring/firing immediately after the Mizzou game. This does 2 things...it allows CBB to find another job before he resigns or is fired AND it allows more time to pass in regards to waiting on Gus and his exit from Auburn.

I think they beat Bama and we will likely name him coach after he loses his next game whether it be to UGA or in the playoff. That gives CBB plenty of time to find another job and us to settle on an appropriate AD.

Just my $.02

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: BigoBoys on November 23, 2017, 09:03:10 pm
This is correct

The only question is what Bret's mechanics will look like notifying the team.

1) Tell then after the game.

2) Have a 7am meeting to get out in front of them splitting to the winds for the holiday weekend.

3) Send an email.

4) Send a text.

This is my opinion and has not come from anyone else:

The holiday weekend is a terrible time to properly notify the team if you are being canned on Saturday. They COULD postpone announcement until Monday when Bret can have a meeting with all the players outside of a locker room. But then again, they may not.

RockyMtnHog

I am pretty sure that the team is already aware of what is going on and it will not come as a big surprise.  Too many press articles with the coaches comments and player comments are out there.  Those are pretty big hints.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

BigoBoys

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on November 23, 2017, 09:15:49 pm
The only question is what Bret's mechanics will look like notifying the team.

1) Tell then after the game.

2) Have a 7am meeting to get out in front of them splitting to the winds for the holiday weekend.

3) Send an email.

4) Send a text.

This is my opinion and has not come from anyone else:

The holiday weekend is a terrible time to properly notify the team if you are being canned on Saturday. They COULD postpone announcement until Monday when Bret can have a meeting with all the players outside of a locker room. But then again, they may not.

One thing is probable is that he will cry at the post game press conference on Friday

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: BigoBoys on November 23, 2017, 09:28:11 pm
One thing is probable is that he will cry at the post game press conference on Friday

Is that even in question?

WilsonHog

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hawginbigd1

It may have happened before but i can't recall a  coach being hired and then an AD being hired, so time is starting to be a bit of an issue if we don't get an AD lined up.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 23, 2017, 09:41:21 pm
Relax. Enjoy Brunch Saturday morning.

Make sure you've already had your second cup of coffee and make sure you're watching SEC Nation at about the halfway point.

If you get impatient, add Bailey's.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on November 23, 2017, 09:57:35 pm
It may have happened before but i can't recall a  coach being hired and then an AD being hired, so time is starting to be a bit of an issue if we don't get an AD lined up.

I don't think that's gonna happen.

TeufelHog

-IF- WE REALLY WANT GUS BAD ENOUGH, it makes sense to leverage our "timing position" by keeping our options open to keep CBB for another year.  THAT IS -IF- GUS turns us down this year because he "beats Bama, beats Georgia again, and takes Auburn to the CFP."  HUGE IFs, BUT HERE'S THE LOGIC . . .

Gus is in the perfect position.  I personally think he comes "home" this year.  Here's why . . . one way or the other (this year or next year), he could accept Arkansas' HC offer and reset his "head coaching clock" at a "new school."  IE, sign another 5 year contract with Arkansas for ?$25M? and performance bonuses.  If he does well, FANTASTIC, continue to build the program he's "dreamed of coaching" and take it to the next level.  If he doesn't do well, NO BIG DEAL, he'll retire in 5 years $25M+ richer . . . no worse for the wear.  Why would he want to stay at Auburn continually riding the "coaching carousel hot seat" game after game because of fickle Auburn fans with unrealistic expectations?  Just doesn't make sense to stay in Auburn when he could come home, still make millions, and be close enough to family to take care of his/his wife's "aging parents."

-IF- he does stay at Auburn for one more year to ride the roller-coaster and then decides to bail, we can still remove CBB after whatever mediocre year he will have next season.  If we hire a Norvell/Leach/Strong/????? this year, that timing opportunity no longer exists.  Yes, I understand attendance would plummet next season if we keep CBB another year.  "Some" of that financial loss would be offset by CBB's buyout reduction after next year.  My biggest concern is our competition this year for hiring a head coach . . . UCLA, aTm, FL, Ole Miss, Tenner, Nebraska, ?other programs? all are great programs to fill. 

Piggfoot

The players know how some fans feel from social media but they have not been told definitely. If they knew it would be out. They realize their losing record is not all on the coaches. It is true the coaches are responsible for recruiting and perhaps if they had recruited better, those playing now may be sitting on the bench.
Many on here talk about lack of development and that may be true but I don't think the coaches are totally responsible for that. The coaches may be responsible for some of the players development but the major responsibility is on the players themselves.
The coaches do not have the time to give individual instructions to players everyday.
I don't know why we didn't have a better record under Bielema. I do believe he is a good man and hope in the future things improve for him and for us.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

BOAR_N2BWILD

Quote from: RockyMtnHog on November 23, 2017, 09:10:41 pm
The order is:

1) Gus
2) Norvell
3) Leach

Don't be surprised if Skip Holtz name is not in that mix.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

Tusker4life

According to one source, CBB has been notified and will not even return to his office after the game.
Cheering for Alabama because they are in the SEC is like cheering for the Devil because he is in the Bible...

go hogues

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on November 23, 2017, 10:16:27 pm
Can you imagine? All this hullabaloo, only to end up with Skip Holtz?

Gracious
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: TeufelHog on November 23, 2017, 10:04:24 pm
-IF- WE REALLY WANT GUS BAD ENOUGH, it makes sense to leverage our "timing position" by keeping our options open to keep CBB for another year.  THAT IS -IF- GUS turns us down this year because he "beats Bama, beats Georgia again, and takes Auburn to the CFP."  HUGE IFs, BUT HERE'S THE LOGIC . . .

Gus is in the perfect position.  I personally think he comes "home" this year.  Here's why . . . one way or the other (this year or next year), he could accept Arkansas' HC offer and reset his "head coaching clock" at a "new school."  IE, sign another 5 year contract with Arkansas for ?$25M? and performance bonuses.  If he does well, FANTASTIC, continue to build the program he's "dreamed of coaching" and take it to the next level.  If he doesn't do well, NO BIG DEAL, he'll retire in 5 years $25M+ richer . . . no worse for the wear.  Why would he want to stay at Auburn continually riding the "coaching carousel hot seat" game after game because of fickle Auburn fans with unrealistic expectations?  Just doesn't make sense to stay in Auburn when he could come home, still make millions, and be close enough to family to take care of his/his wife's "aging parents."

-IF- he does stay at Auburn for one more year to ride the roller-coaster and then decides to bail, we can still remove CBB after whatever mediocre year he will have next season.  If we hire a Norvell/Leach/Strong/????? this year, that timing opportunity no longer exists.  Yes, I understand attendance would plummet next season if we keep CBB another year.  "Some" of that financial loss would be offset by CBB's buyout reduction after next year.  My biggest concern is our competition this year for hiring a head coach . . . UCLA, aTm, FL, Ole Miss, Tenner, Nebraska, ?other programs? all are great programs to fill.

You can't "name" a search committee without an opening.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on November 23, 2017, 10:16:27 pm
I don't think anyone will be surprised when Skip Holtz's name is not in the mix.

hogfanmd

Quote from: go hogues on November 23, 2017, 10:25:00 pm

Gracious

If it came down to skip holtz or similar caliber candidate vs one more year of
CBB what would you choose

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Großer Kriegschwein

arcowboy

CBB is gone, his tenure here has been downhill each year. There is no way the program can survive another year of decline.

HoggyCat

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on November 23, 2017, 08:51:18 pm

The empty stadium is the only reason.  They won't keep commitments on he NEZ expansion if he stays, and that would be catastrophic.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: arcowboy on November 23, 2017, 10:40:16 pm
CBB is gone, his tenure here has been downhill each year. There is no way the program can survive another year of decline.

Not really downhill but kinda rolling prairie......

Awe to hell with it....

moses_007

Quote from: go hogues on November 23, 2017, 10:25:00 pm

Gracious
I'd be for Skip if he was as good as his dad was here.  I'm afraid he wouldn't be.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: HogPharmer on November 23, 2017, 08:58:15 pm
Why fire Jeff then keep Bret?

I have no idea what is going to happen, but the argument can be made
"Why fire the AD an have no AD to hire the head coach?"  The timing and sequence in which things have transpired has been poorly managed by the university.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Kevin

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 24, 2017, 04:28:47 am
“Why fire the AD an have no AD to hire the head coach?”  The timing and sequence in which things have transpired has been poorly managed by the university.

not if the ad told his boss he would not fire the coach. it was poorly managed if we go two more weeks without an ad, or coach then it will be poorly managed.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

MC_Hog

Quote from: RockyMtnHog on November 23, 2017, 09:10:41 pm
The order is:

1) Gus
2) Norvell
3) Leach

Gus isn't coming. He will either still be at Auburn next year or Texas A&M

hogfanmd

Quote from: HoggyCat on November 23, 2017, 10:52:23 pm
The empty stadium is the only reason.  They won't keep commitments on he NEZ expansion if he stays, and that would be catastrophic.

I purchased a loge box, I know that fact alone probably drops my sanity and credibility level, but had to sign a legally binding contract by July 1.  I'm guessing the suites are the same.   They have to be paid off by march 2018 so sadly they already have a lot of the money, or at least mine, either way. 
Not sure if they would really sue you if you backed out but who knows.

On a different note, I'm hoping a new AD will bring about a more personalized athletic dept.  I've never met or talked with Jeff Long.  But I have felt like my experience has been like dealing with a time share organization.   Pressured to donate and spend more and more to keep what you have yet the product placed on the field has been so poor.

Scott7703

Quote from: MC_Hog on November 24, 2017, 06:56:24 am

Gus isn't coming. He will either still be at Auburn next year or Texas A&M

Gus isnt going to Texas a&m. Zero chance that happens. Gus is still the top choice be it's his job to turn down.

Also, just know that if skip holtz is hired we were turned down by the top 7-10 targets.

hogfanmd

Quote from: Scott7703 on November 24, 2017, 07:05:58 am

Also, just know that if skip holtz is hired we were turned down by the top 7-10 targets.

This is where I was going on my OP,  with all the vacancies and No athletic director, is there a chance to get so far down the wish list that one more year of Beliema is less risky then 5 years with less then ideal new candidate.

RazorChuck

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: arcowboy on November 23, 2017, 10:40:16 pm
I am certain CBB is gone.
I don't want another bad year.
But the team can survive one.

EFBAB

go hogues

Quote from: moses_007 on November 23, 2017, 10:53:47 pm
I'd be for Skip if he was as good as his dad was here.  I'm afraid he wouldn't be.
His overall record is 124-99 in crappy conferences. Might as well keep CBB
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Hoggie17

It would cost more to keep CBB than to get rid of him.  Revenue will go up way more than what we would save to keep him.

a0ashle

He can't stay now, a lame duck season would be a disaster for recruiting. An argument could be made that the impact to recruiting, would be worse then 3 years with a new, but mediocre coach.

Tony Perkis

Quote from: Hoggie17 on November 24, 2017, 07:22:07 am
It would cost more to keep CBB than to get rid of him.  Revenue will go up way more than what we would save to keep him.
Here's your answer.

duckman

Quote from: Hoggie17 on November 24, 2017, 07:22:07 am

Ding... Ding... Ding....

The second his buyout became 1 dollar less than the money being lost at the turnstiles he was gone...

It is ALWAYS about the money.

online-with-swine

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 24, 2017, 04:28:47 am
"Why fire the AD an have no AD to hire the head coach?"  The timing and sequence in which things have transpired has been poorly managed by the university.

It depends, was he fired specifically to get rid of CBB or as some rumors have been around, was he fired for some yet undisclosed nefarious reasons.  If he refused to fire CBB in the face of dwindling donations and fan support, they had to wait and see if Bret could turn it around and instill a little more excitement for next year.  This could be the cause of our late jump.  Or, there may some issue with stadium upgrades, financing and other shenanigins that simply came to a head this late in the season.  We simply don't know enough at this time to say this has been poorly managed or not.