Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What happened to this team

Started by razorpimp, January 31, 2018, 02:12:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorpimp

I know we have discussed this in partial threads but what do you truly think happened to this team?

Don't say CMA stinks, etc because the team was winning, playing well, etc and now we have this...

I say they started believing the hype that they were/are better than they really are combined with Barford/Macon trying to carry the load to up their draft status.  I think Mike lost the team by not keeping them grounded

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: razorpimp on January 31, 2018, 02:12:57 pm
I know we have discussed this in partial threads but what do you truly think happened to this team?

Don't say CMA stinks, etc because the team was winning, playing well, etc and now we have this...

I say they started believing the hype that they were/are better than they really are combined with Barford/Macon trying to carry the load to up their draft status.  I think Mike lost the team by not keeping them grounded
Barford is just struggling and Thompson/Thomas are trying to shoot way to much, gotta win on Saturday and then I see two straight wins at home in a row
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

USChog

It is several things. I think mainly the grind every single game is what is wearing them down. That, and a lack of inside out play.

LJHOG

Boardon Hamsay

Team chemistry took a hit after the pk80. Just not the same dynamic and the body language and attitudes are telling. We're aren't a team, we are 5 individuals on a court with no leadership, seemingly playing with two factions: upperclassmen vs underclassmen. Coaching and output is unorganized. Whether that is due to lack of leadership, poor chemistry, or directionless "coaching" is semantics. We have two teams on our team which means we have no team.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Danny J

Same as last year until after Vandy loss at home. We stopped pressing/trapping as much on the road and stopped doing as much switching plus the SEC is just better overall this year. We aren't IMO gonna be a 8 seed like last year but more like a 11 seed. I think Barford is flat wore out. Notice last night he played well for most of first half then had 2 straight turnovers, lane violation and a missed point blank layup. We are only going to go as far as Barford and Macon take us. We need to stop pressing as much so that our best players can get some rest.

ICEman

No mature skilled big on the blocks.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

onebadrubi

We have not learned what rotations play well, what rotations are awful, and so on.  We continue to put on the floor for long periods of time line ups that get destroyed.   Mike hasn't learned from this

Rooster Hogburn

We started out hot this season and cooled off lately. Might heat up to close season, might not
To forgive is to set a pisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.-Lewis B. Smedes

GuvHog

Quote from: razorpimp on January 31, 2018, 02:12:57 pm

Too much "Street Ball" mentality. Go watch a bunch of teens playing asphalt court basketball and you'll see what I mean.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hogs run wild

Quote from: GuvHog on January 31, 2018, 08:58:50 pm
Too much "Street Ball" mentality. Go watch a bunch of teens playing asphalt court basketball and you'll see what I mean.
Bingo! and it starts with the coach who recruits these types of players. i don't want to bash any of our players, but the street balling has got to stop. we need guys with higher basketball IQ.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

hog47

We will never, I repeat never be a team like Sutton had or Nolan had..never. I like coach Anderson and a true gentleman but as a big time division 1 coach he will never reach championship level we all want so much. I will not repeat many of the comments in this thread because they are all true. Coach Anderson will have to leave if we ever want to reach the heights of Coach Richardson . It's just a fact!!

razorpimp

Quote from: Hogs run wild on January 31, 2018, 09:07:35 pm
Bingo! and it starts with the coach who recruits these types of players. i don't want to bash any of our players, but the street balling has got to stop. we need guys with higher basketball IQ.

I agree that Mike values athleticism over skill....I wonder if he thinks he can teach skill

Letsroll1200

January 31, 2018, 09:43:31 pm #13 Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 09:58:49 pm by Letsroll1200
It's a dogfight in the SEC. We want panic. We're still right in the hunt of things.

9 of the 14 SEC teams have at least 5 losses. Fire them all!

onebadrubi

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 31, 2018, 09:43:31 pm
It's a dogfight in the SEC. We want panic. We're still right in the hunt of things.

This kind of thinking always sinks you to the level of just mediocrity. 

3of5-2

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 31, 2018, 09:43:31 pm

A-V-E-R-A-G-E

Hogsolo

Barford is probably worn out and our bench isn't adding enough value in SEC play.   Thompson seemed to go into a funk after losing his starting spot.  Seems to be back now, but Gafford may be hitting the freshman wall.  Hate to say it but I think this team is done.  It was fun to watch in 2017 though.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: 3of5-2 on January 31, 2018, 10:30:50 pm
A-V-E-R-A-G-E

This Average conference just won the Big 12 challenge. However, the Big 12 is praised for being so good.

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 31, 2018, 10:37:03 pm
This Average conference just won the Big 12 challenge. However, the Big 12 is praised for being so good.

Think that was a reference to the current razorback basketball team, not the SEC conference.

3of5-2

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 31, 2018, 10:37:03 pm
They won by a whopping 6-4 or 60%, and a couple of missed tip ins against us in the last second, or it would have been 5-5 or 50%=A-V-E-R-A-G-E

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on January 31, 2018, 10:38:34 pm
Think that was a reference to the current razorback basketball team, not the SEC conference.
so we are average in a good conference? So we are like Texas, Wisconsin, Georgia, Alabama? States that are a lot bigger than us. Yes I guess we are bad shape.
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Letsroll1200

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on January 31, 2018, 10:38:34 pm

I'll take average if we're dancing in March. Just keep watching

Letsroll1200

Quote from: 3of5-2 on January 31, 2018, 10:40:20 pm
They won by a whopping 6-4 or 60%, and a couple of missed tip ins against us in the last second, or it would have been 5-5 or 50%=A-V-E-R-A-G-E

What ifs... We took care of business. We're going to beat LSU Saturday.

hogsanity

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 31, 2018, 10:43:32 pm

They better. LSu is playing horribly right now.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

3of5-2

I fully expect them too, but I also had them beating the Aggies. Maybe they are better when their back is against the wall.

Tick Hog

Quote from: ICEman on January 31, 2018, 07:44:11 pm
No mature skilled big on the blocks.
I think it's this simple for the offensive side of the ball. When you take away having the option for a big to score you're left with what we see. I get tired of watching Barford and Macon have to create everything we do but there isn't any other consistent options. As far as defense, go watch a team that really puts it first and you'll quickly see that we don't.

Darren DeLoach

They HAVE to beat LSU, and I get no positive vibes in thinking they will. I like Coach. I want him here. But he owns this fully. If this team misses the NCAA tourney(which means a massive meltdown occurs), he must be replaced. Zero excuses for this teams inability to play moderately effective defense or to continue to refuse to go inside out. We will see.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

niels_boar

The SEC seems to be happening to everyone but Auburn lately.  Who had Bama losing in Tuscaloosa to Mizzou a few days after shutting down OU or USC losing at home to MSU after winning at UF?  UF won at Rupp and destroyed Baylor and then lost their second in three games by double digits at Athens where Arkansas just won a game.  UK is 6-3 but would be no better than 5-4 and maybe 4-5 if LaChance were not 0-4 at the FT line in the last minute against them and Vandy doesn't foul with 2 seconds left and a lead.  UF would probably have joined the four-loss club if they hadn't played A&M with their second-string backcourt.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: 3of5-2 on January 31, 2018, 10:40:20 pm
the word "IF" means this in sports...."The winner counts his chips and the loser says deal damnit deal"
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

3of5-2

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on February 01, 2018, 02:20:07 am
the word "IF" means this in sports...."The winner counts his chips and the loser says deal damnit deal"
Where is "IF"?

(notOM)Rebel123

A couple of player's egos are getting in the way...that's the scuttlebutt coming from BWA.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Letsroll1200

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on February 01, 2018, 05:43:40 am
A couple of player's egos are getting in the way...that's the scuttlebutt coming from BWA.

Now this guy is in the know. I would say it has improved and the team is starting to understand It's not about me.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hogs run wild on January 31, 2018, 09:07:35 pm

I don't blame the players. It's obvious that the guards in particular, haven't been taught to play "Team ball". They try to go one on one too much.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

The_Iceman

Talent is not able to overcome Mike's lack of coaching.

Athog

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 31, 2018, 10:42:00 pm
so we are average in a good conference? So we are like Texas, Wisconsin, Georgia, Alabama? States that are a lot bigger than us. Yes I guess we are bad shape.

Poor pitiful Arkansas! Yes we are very average! We have been exposed in the worst way! We have no inside presence and when we don't hit 3s we are beat!
Our guards are good but wearing down so until Mike recruits some true inside strength we will see the same results!

Nickle-Pig

Quote from: Athog on February 01, 2018, 07:01:34 am
Poor pitiful Arkansas! Yes we are very average! We have been exposed in the worst way! We have no inside presence and when we don't hit 3s we are beat!
Our guards are good but wearing down so until Mike recruits some true inside strength we will see the same results!

I agree our weaknesses are easy to see. I agree we have no inside game and when we try it is a failure. I think this season has turned into a coaching challenge for Mike. He has to figure out now how an inside game if we can establish one, fits into the picture going forward. The minute we go from run and gun to a post up attempt the score starts going backwards. This is a learning experience for Coach A.
Social sites are where cowards go to get a cup of courage.

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: hog47 on January 31, 2018, 09:32:33 pm
We will never, I repeat never be a team like Sutton had or Nolan had..never. I like coach Anderson and a true gentleman but as a big time division 1 coach he will never reach championship level we all want so much. I will not repeat many of the comments in this thread because they are all true. Coach Anderson will have to leave if we ever want to reach the heights of Coach Richardson . It's just a fact!!

There's one thing that MA could still do that Nolan didn't:  retire gracefully.

If he has to be fired he'll be fired as a failure.  If he steps down he'll be thanked for his time and everybody will move on.

jkstock04

What evidence is there of this?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Mr. Porkleone

No true point guard continues to haunt this team. Lack of FT shooting not helping either

Atlhogfan1

Some of what happened was we entered conference play.  Different level of intensity from opponents.  Certainly better scouting and preparation for us.  Comparable athletes in many instances just varying degrees of basketball skill and depth.  What we try and do is no surprise in this conference.  Opponents understand how to defend and how to attack us.  They know to get in the officials' ears and perpetuate our reputation as foulers resulting in some anticipation calls. 

Some of it is the s o s with Mike and not having rotations figured out, roles not being filled well yet and the team not playing well together.  We've gone into every SEC season with this issue.  Sometimes it takes longer to figure it all out.  They figured it out a half of a game before disaster last season.  Still a few games away from getting that deep into this season. 

The SEC is certainly better than it has been as it doesn't have multiple awful teams.  The conference has had 3-4 bottomfeeders a season where they weren't really competitive.  AU, Miss St and Mizzou have been in the group and have all pulled themselves way up.  LSU was there last season and are obviously turning it around quickly.  UGa is its normal middling selves.  SC is back to middling.  Ole Miss and Vandy aren't awful.  Not what we have seen in bottom level teams in past seasons. 

If you look at kenpom, 1/2 the SEC is from 58 UGa to 87 Vandy.  1/2 the B1G is below Vandy.  1/3 of the Pac 12 is below Vandy.  Then in the SEC you have 5 more from 28 UK to 50 Hogs.  This is why the conference feels so tough this season and better - parity among mediocre to above average teams without the awful at the bottom and without a UF and UK with F4/NC caliber teams at the top.  Not saying some SEC team can't go on an NCAAT run. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

elksnort

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on January 31, 2018, 11:52:26 pm
They HAVE to beat LSU, and I get no positive vibes in thinking they will. I like Coach. I want him here. But he owns this fully. If this team misses the NCAA tourney(which means a massive meltdown occurs), he must be replaced. Zero excuses for this teams inability to play moderately effective defense or to continue to refuse to go inside out. We will see.
This is about as well as I could have stated it. I know that the Razorbacks don't have to beat LSU for mathematical reasons, but for the sake of momentum I think they do have to beat the tigers on Saturday. I also like CMA. But to not make the tournament in year 7 with a roster full of seniors, when you have shown that the team is capable of doing so, should be cause for dismissal.

elksnort

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on February 01, 2018, 07:25:08 am
There's one thing that MA could still do that Nolan didn't:  retire gracefully.

If he has to be fired he'll be fired as a failure.  If he steps down he'll be thanked for his time and everybody will move on.
THIS. I meant to add this to my last post. I like CMA enough that I would hate for their to be any disgrace. Just quietly go away if the team does not make the NCAAt.

Hawg Red

Quote from: LJHOG on January 31, 2018, 06:54:49 pm
Competition got better.

This is basically it. The SEC is just a lot tougher from top to bottom. Auburn at 20-2 and 8-1 in the SEC stands above everyone. But after them? The best overall record is 17-5 and the best conference record is 6-3. So many posters are attempting to pain this picture of collapse, but we're not that far off from contending for 2nd place in the conference due to the parity we're seeing this season. Almost half the league is 4-5 just like the Hogs.

Just relax and take it a game at time and let the Hogs work their way through this would be my advice to people that don't actually have an agenda but are concerned. A road win Saturday at LSU would be huge and then we get South Carolina and Vandy at home.

ParkerSchnabel

Gafford was playing well at the start of the season. Like I said before. He found out how physical things are in the SEC. The Aggies are finally starting to play like the team they were supposed to be now that all of the pieces are in place. In the second half they came out hot and was knocking down their shots.

Sometimes its just that simple. Its not always coaching. That doesn't fit the mob agenda here though. So smite away simpletons.

Dirty

Gafford needs to get the ball more but needs to kick it out when he gets doubled.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: elksnort on February 01, 2018, 09:28:06 am
This is about as well as I could have stated it. I know that the Razorbacks don't have to beat LSU for mathematical reasons, but for the sake of momentum I think they do have to beat the tigers on Saturday. I also like CMA. But to not make the tournament in year 7 with a roster full of seniors, when you have shown that the team is capable of doing so, should be cause for dismissal.

We'll make the tournament barring injury or long term suspension to Barford or Macon. 

Not quite must win but Hogs need to win at least one of @LSU and @OM.   May be a good time to be playing LSU with the rap video drama going on. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Letsroll1200

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 01, 2018, 07:32:42 am
What evidence is there of this?

We beat Georgia and had a solid first half against A&M. Coach made a bad decision and stuck with Beard and Cook too long.

jm

I think fatigue has crept in a little bit. Just the grind of the tough games twice a week plus a couple of overtime games have taken a toll. We lack scoring depth and that forces some guys to play more minutes than might be ideal.

jkstock04

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 01, 2018, 09:43:01 am
We beat Georgia and had a solid first half against A&M. Coach made a bad decision and stuck with Beard and Cook too long.

I watched LSU absolutely dismantle us in Bud Walton, wasn't close coaching wise or matchup wise. I just don't see much to believe we are going to go on the road on a Saturday and beat them.

For this team to win just almost any game we need to score at least 80 points...we can't/won't play defense or rebound. Our best chance is to shoot lights out and put up 80-100 points.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

elksnort

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 01, 2018, 10:39:50 am
I watched LSU absolutely dismantle us in Bud Walton, wasn't close coaching wise or matchup wise. I just don't see much to believe we are going to go on the road on a Saturday and beat them.

For this team to win just almost any game we need to score at least 80 points...we can't/won't play defense or rebound. Our best chance is to shoot lights out and put up 80-100 points.
Agree. Macon, Barford and/or maybe Jones need to hit the 3s early, late and often. Frankly, I would like to see Jones get more minutes.