Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It’s been a long 3 weeks.

Started by FANONTHEHILL, September 29, 2017, 12:49:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

woodrow hog call

Quote from: lakecityhog on September 29, 2017, 03:44:18 pm
Fan, my problem is similar to another poster, it seems like certain players are "allowed" to make the same critical mistakes game after game with no recourse and others never see the field for practice mistakes. And pardon me but BB sure did NOT seem to have any issue whatsoever throwing the kicker under the bus and then backing it over him!

I do find it hard to believe that every team in America except for Tulsa failed to see that Ty Clary is a better O'Lineman than Shawn Andrews, Dan Skipper, Frank Ragnow, Denver Kirkland and a MULTITUDE of other O'Linemen across the nation. NOT ONE of those guys started game 1 of their career, again NOT ONE!!!! Please understand that I have no issue with Clary at all, he is simply doing as asked by the staff. Think about this for a moment or two, let's just say that your son started 10 games last year and this year cannot see the field AT ALL? Would you not wonder why just a little??

I think that you sometimes fail to see your own bias, or personal investment in this coaching staff. And believe it or not I can fully understand that and would probably feel the same way if I were in your shoes.
Evidently Zack Rogers' dad doesn't completely share your opinions, maybe because he is seeing things from a different perspective??

And here is more of the hogville stupidity, Ty is not competing for playing time against any of those players that you mentioned from past teams. Some of you people are so convinced that you know everything, you are unable to be educated in the slightest about what is going on.

You and 64, and the pygmaillin guy should go start a team somewhere.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Wild Boarnado

Thank you FANONTHEHILL. I really appreciate your perspective and insights. I have no doubt that the coaches and players are doing everything they can do to be successful. I believe constructive criticism with a positive attitude is essential to success. I believe in our team and I will never quit on them. I care about them and will continue to do everything I can to support them. Please let our coaches and players know we are pulling for them. Thank you again, FOTH. WPS!!!!!

P.S. I agree with clew - "This post should be stickied."
"Cry 'SOOIE!,' and let slip the Hogs of War!" ~William ShakeSqueal

When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself. ~Dr. Wayne Dyer

TeufelHog

Great post FOTH.  Appreciate that perspective and insight.  Think you put you finger right on it . . . it's a lack of discipline across the board.  I think that's what frustrates everyone and that comes from/is instilled by the coaching staff.  Bottom line . . .

PygmalionEffect2

QuoteSome of you people are so convinced that you know everything, you are unable to be educated in the slightest about what is going on.
Quotewoodrow hog call

Go back to the a&m game.  Go to the first quarter, the first 3rd down we tried a pass on, it was 3rd and 8.  The pass was incomplete.  Go educate yourself as to why.

Go to the next 3rd and 10 pass play.  We completed it and got a first down because AA got rid of the ball very quickly even though Clary's man was bearing down on him.

Go to the 2nd qtr, 2nd and 8.  Educate yourself as to why AA had to scramble outside and throw ball away.

Go to the last offensive play of the half, 3rd and 5, close to mid-field.  Clary has just come back into the game.  Educate yourself on why AA rushed his throw and was lucky it wasn't intercepted.

3rd qtr, 1st and 17.  Go educate yourself on why AA had to scramble out of the pocket for a gain of 3.

3rd qtr, 3rd and 14.  Go educate yourself on why AA threw the ball incomplete.

Evidently Anderson or CBB at some point had educated themselves as Clary wasn't back on the field after that.

Are you claiming that it was a mistake for CBB to pull Clary?  Are you claiming to know more than the coach?

Did you even watch the game or were you cutting cards with Laurie again?
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

cjack

I haven't been on Hogville in years, and my post number would dictate to some that my opinion doesn't matter, but this is it. 

There are dozens of reasons that can be argued about what is missing, what is wrong, why are we losing, players fault, coaches fault, etc.  To me,  CBB has reached his potential at Arkansas.  His teams aren't steadily getting better and they aren't steadily getting worse.  I believe the win/loss record he is producing is what he will always produce.  It comes down to if that is acceptable or not. 

In my opinion, Arkansas should be a top 25 team every year.  Some  years we may creep up to the top ten and some years we may be in and out of the top 25 from week to week, but I believe Arkansas should be one of the 25 best football programs in the country.  CBB is being paid a top 25 salary and he has had time to deliver.  He hasn't.
Woooo Pig Soooie!

AirWarren

What a great feeling to step away from HV for a week.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: lakecityhog on September 29, 2017, 03:44:18 pm
Fan, my problem is similar to another poster, it seems like certain players are "allowed" to make the same critical mistakes game after game with no recourse and others never see the field for practice mistakes. And pardon me but BB sure did NOT seem to have any issue whatsoever throwing the kicker under the bus and then backing it over him!

I do find it hard to believe that every team in America except for Tulsa failed to see that Ty Clary is a better O'Lineman than Shawn Andrews, Dan Skipper, Frank Ragnow, Denver Kirkland and a MULTITUDE of other O'Linemen across the nation. NOT ONE of those guys started game 1 of their career, again NOT ONE!!!! Please understand that I have no issue with Clary at all, he is simply doing as asked by the staff. Think about this for a moment or two, let's just say that your son started 10 games last year and this year cannot see the field AT ALL? Would you not wonder why just a little??

I think that you sometimes fail to see your own bias, or personal investment in this coaching staff. And believe it or not I can fully understand that and would probably feel the same way if I were in your shoes.
Evidently Zack Rogers' dad doesn't completely share your opinions, maybe because he is seeing things from a different perspective??
In Ty's case, he was overlooked by several teams.   When Fayetteville went to the hurry up no huddle after Ty's sophomore year, he wasn't able to display his skills.  Everyone makes a big deal about him being a walk on.  He and his family are in a position where where he was able to gray shirt.  There was never a doubt Ty would play at Arkansas and end up on scholarship.  Ty has what the coaches call "heavy hands". He is incredibly strong in the wrists and forearms.  He has great punch and good feet.  That's why he is starting.  It has more to do with Johnny being needed at tackle than Ty taking someone's spot. Don't get me wrong, it would be better if every incoming freshman on the OL redshirted, but until they bring in 3-4 solid Olineman in every class, they don't have that luxury.  They had to raid Jucos to bridge the gap after Pittman left. Raulerson and Ramirez were brought in. They were able to redshirt Heinrich, and will hopefully be able to redshirt Clenin, Wagner, and Adcock.  That's how you build for the future. 

As far as Zac's Dad, I can't compare my situation to his.  Zac was a highly sought after recruit.  My son showed them some tape and was allowed to walk on. I have been around enough to know that whether I praise or criticize the staff, it means nothing.  I hope in time my son sees more game time.  It's been very limited so far.  If he plays, he plays.  If he doesn't make the rotation, his job is to work on scout team and get the defense ready.  In the big picture, what parents think doesn't matter.  When you kids sign on, they belong to the program.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Danny J

elksnort

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on September 29, 2017, 03:25:19 pm
Yes it does.  Football is not the complicated sport that dull people that played it think it is.  Dull ex football players always talk like there is no way you can understand the game if you never played it.  That might be correct for them.

Smart football players never seem to have that opinion.  They understand that the basic concepts of football can be understood by someone who has never played, if they are willing to take the time to study it.  That's why many Hall of Fame coaches weren't Hall of Fame players.  Ability to play the game at a high level and ability to understand the game at a high level are two different skill sets.

It's very easy to see on most protection breakdowns who made the mistake or who got run over or run around.  It's not always easy in real time, but with the video and slow motion - stop motion we have access to as fans today, it's fairly easy for someone willing to take the time to look at it.

I looked at it.  Saying only 1/3 of the protection breakdowns were due to the offensive line it's just a laughable comment.  It causes you to lose credibility with you audience that you seem so intent on impressing.

I'm not trying to get in a tit for tat with you, I just can't let you come on here and make stupid statements like that and get away with it.

See, I don't care if you have a family member playing.  This is my field of play and I don't let that crap get past me.
Good post.
We did score 43 points. I think the biggest problem is on the defensive side and special teams. And furthermore the head coach and his staff are not getting it done.

KennyForAD

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on September 29, 2017, 01:47:38 pm
It's the "coach speak" that so many detest, but it's actully accurate.  There are just a handful of breakdowns that make all the difference.   Playing within the system and doing the little things are preventing them from reaching their potential.  Eliminate those and it's a different team.  When Coach Bielema says that they are so close, he's right.   Throw out FAMU.  TCU is a much better team than most thought.  They just beat a Top 10 Ok State team in Stillwater.  Texas A&M is a very talented team that had been underachieving.  They had them and made a handful of costly mistakes.  This team needs a solid win against NMSU and them the have to go in the road and beat South Carolina.  They are capable, they just need to eliminate the small mistakes that when piled on top costly mistakes which when added up have cost them ballgames.  As I said in the original post, they've got more talent than they've showed.

Wishful thinking, but wrong.  You just cant win with a line as weak as ours.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: BadHog on September 29, 2017, 03:38:48 pm
FOTH please respond to this as you see it:

Like it or not, right or wrong, people are judged on their appearance (clothing, physical appearance, demeanor, mannerisms, etc). Appearance is very important in my profession as well as others. HR hiring personal are trained to judge appearance as it can indicate a person's level of discipline, trustworthiness, emotional stability, and other issues. As for Bielema, I see a man who is undisciplined, sloppy and lazy. To me, this reflects in the performance of his players on the field week after week.

Also, you stated that the players practice their assignments over and over. If so, what percentage of times during practice are the plays executed successfully and on target? After a game and review of the poorly executed performance, what is the strategy to correct an individual's faulty performance? Perhaps the quality of practice is not at the level it should be to be competitive in this very high performance conference.

These are just observations and I would like to hear your perspective.

I agree, people who are fat or dress sloppy can never be good football coaches

PygmalionEffect2

C Jackson has the strength to pass protect and run block.  He's not as agile as you would want in a tackle but he's not terrible.  Most of the problems on his side have been from him being out of position.  He doesn't seem to have a natural grasp of what is going on in front of him and so he gets fooled easily by stunts and delayed blitzes. He has a tendency to slid to the inside where he is not needed.
You would hope this is something that is correctable and will improve over time.

Ragnow and Froholdt are playing winning football I think.  That's the foundation to start with.

Gibson has looked ok in limited action at RG, and is definitely better at G than T.

If that is the case, then we are really just a RT away from having a solid line.  Surely between Raulerson, Ramirez, and Wallace, someone can start stepping up.

I'm still pretty sure we can get better, I just think the original starting line up was a head scratcher.

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

Danny J

Quote from: elksnort on September 29, 2017, 04:45:51 pm
Good post.
We did score 43 points. I think the biggest problem is on the defensive side and special teams. And furthermore the head coach and his staff are not getting it done.
I agree...the aTm game was all on the defense and special teams. The TCU game was all on the offense and special teams.

We are inconsistent since CBB stepped foot on campus whether it's game to game or half to half or offense good one game and defense bad the next. The one consistency has been bad specials team except for our punters. Just bringing special teams up to average likely gives us 1-2 more wins a year based on years past.

lakecityhog

Talk about stupidity! No he is not competing against those guys, my analogy probably went right over your head. None of those guys were good enough to start from Game 1 of their career yet this kid is THAT good? And no team but Tulsa figured that out??? Get it??? Shawn Andrews a MULTI year NFL Alll-Pro did not start his first game as a Razorback!!! Think about that for just a minute.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on September 29, 2017, 04:35:04 pm
Go back to the a&m game.  Go to the first quarter, the first 3rd down we tried a pass on, it was 3rd and 8.  The pass was incomplete.  Go educate yourself as to why.

Go to the next 3rd and 10 pass play.  We completed it and got a first down because AA got rid of the ball very quickly even though Clary's man was bearing down on him.

Go to the 2nd qtr, 2nd and 8.  Educate yourself as to why AA had to scramble outside and throw ball away.

Go to the last offensive play of the half, 3rd and 5, close to mid-field.  Clary has just come back into the game.  Educate yourself on why AA rushed his throw and was lucky it wasn't intercepted.

3rd qtr, 1st and 17.  Go educate yourself on why AA had to scramble out of the pocket for a gain of 3.

3rd qtr, 3rd and 14.  Go educate yourself on why AA threw the ball incomplete.

Evidently Anderson or CBB at some point had educated themselves as Clary wasn't back on the field after that.

Are you claiming that it was a mistake for CBB to pull Clary?  Are you claiming to know more than the coach?

Did you even watch the game or were you cutting cards with Laurie again?

I never cut cards with Laurie, that was Gus.
No I don't think I know more than the coaches, I just don't think you do either .

They had to pull Ty, because he was getting blown up, but notice the penalties when they did?

All I'm saying is they know much more about what to expect from these guys than we do, you have a lot of knowledge about the game that's obvious, you have probably coached or maybe still do but until you get in the meetings or the practice field with these guys, your knowledge of them is limited.

Agreed?
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Hoginsavga

Fan, I have a lot of respect for you and your son. I can only imagine the thrill of watching your son be a part of the Hogs. Congratulations!!

However, if I may correct you on your thread subject I would say " It's been a long five years"

oldhog63

Quote from: cjack on September 29, 2017, 04:37:42 pm
I haven't been on Hogville in years, and my post number would dictate to some that my opinion doesn't matter, but this is it. 

There are dozens of reasons that can be argued about what is missing, what is wrong, why are we losing, players fault, coaches fault, etc.  To me,  CBB has reached his potential at Arkansas.  His teams aren't steadily getting better and they aren't steadily getting worse.  I believe the win/loss record he is producing is what he will always produce.  It comes down to if that is acceptable or not. 

In my opinion, Arkansas should be a top 25 team every year.  Some  years we may creep up to the top ten and some years we may be in and out of the top 25 from week to week, but I believe Arkansas should be one of the 25 best football programs in the country.  CBB is being paid a top 25 salary and he has had time to deliver.  He hasn't.
My thoughts exactly. Anything else is unacceptable.

gchamblee

FOTH deserves more respect than he has been getting in this thread. You dont owe it to him to agree with him, but he has done nothing to deserve rude responses.

PygmalionEffect2

QuoteI never cut cards with Laurie, that was Gus.

Right, darn it.  Can't believe I got the characters mixed up on one of my favorite westerns.

QuoteAll I'm saying is they know much more about what to expect from these guys than we do, you have a lot of knowledge about the game that's obvious, you have probably coached or maybe still do but until you get in the meetings or the practice field with these guys, your knowledge of them is limited.

There would definitely be more insight for anyone of us that could be in meetings or in practice.  I'm not sure that watching practice from the stands is more valuable than actually watching the performance in games though, where it's recorded so we can watch it back in slo-mo. 

I think I could get more info from watching the replay in slow motion than watching practice or the game for that matter from the stands.  It just happens too fast to watch all 22 players. 

It's interesting how you will change your mind about what happened on a play once you watch the replay vs live action.,

island hog

Uh no... it's obvious we did not have speed at the lb position and that doomed us against 4 or 5 wides and our CBs couldn't keep up nor tackle. This 3-4 scheme will work with time ... we have to recruit to the LB position and maybe turn some SSs into fast LBers ala Bama.   

ricepig

Quote from: gchamblee on September 29, 2017, 06:03:02 pm
FOTH deserves more respect than he has been getting in this thread. You dont owe it to him to agree with him, but he has done nothing to deserve rude responses.

Message board tough guys.

JaketheSnake

Amazing the amount of posters that feel they know more than someonein the know.  There is absolutely no way a person that isn't involved in a play in some form other than watching on TV (even if you are passionate enough to replay it) to know what each players assignment is.  Then their pre snap reads, then their snap responsibilities, etc.  Come claim you watch it 50 times a day and you will still not know what a player was supposed to do. 

Kevin

nice post,

FOTH, do we have a player discipline problem, and doing their assignments?
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

FANONTHEHILL

Gschamblee, I appreciate the sentiment, but I really don't mind.  This is a typical thread.   It's about frustration.  There are a lot of things more important than anyone going after me on a message board.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

jst01

Agree, I don't get the rude responses. I also think FOTH brings good points and it makes sense and has merit. If this was year three after 3 games and this stuff was explained, I'd understand it and feel it was totally appropriate at the time. However, year five after 3 games I think the fact that these rebuilding, growth, "figuring it out" issues are still popping up is the problem in itself.

lakecityhog

I don't think any of us intend to be rude to FOTH, but we may have different opinions than him and that should be ok. He does have a very unique perspective and that very uniqueness lends itself to him having a tiny bit of bias and a totally different perspective than other people.

The very bottom line is this we are heading into game 4 or 1/3 of the season with a pretty unsettled O'Line and after the TCU/ATM games teams have the book on the RG, bull-rush him and push him back into the QB. Why, because he is still basically a HS player without the strength and maturity needed to play O'Line in the SEC. Think about the D tackles from Bama, Auburn, LSU and Miss St, all of them are BIG and STRONG!!!

farmhawg

Quote from: Redhogs on September 29, 2017, 02:15:30 pm
Like your post but let's face it, same song and dance, different day, week, month, year. Bret's ability to win HERE is missing something and I am tired of him trying to find it. I'm sure he's a great person and it's not personal. Thanks for your post.
5 years of the same misses.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

FOTH, I don't know you but I have developed a deep respect for you and wouldn't ever start to disagree with your opinion mostly because you are far closer to this team than I.  I will stick to the things I note. When a well meaning Kid comes off the field after a costly mistake that you say they've been coached on, why doesn't one of the coaches meet that Kid at fields edge and have a coaching chat with him, a real training chat and maybe a diagram.  Not a butt chewing, a training moment.  You mentioned something I haven't noticed happening much, when a players isn't playing well, pull him.  For all time, the fear of losing playing time is an incentive to keep your head, heart, body and soul in the game.  Somehow, i am missing this but more important, the Kid with the mental lapse and realizing he wan't be replaced, has little to worry about.  T J Hammonds must have a problem because when he is on the field, he usually performs decent.  In my opinion, if we have a Kid with the speed he has, I would see to it that he gets coached on whatever he is missing, early on it was carrying the ball too loose. 

I will shut up with this opinion.  If you are not reaching potential and you are doing everything correctly, that is in direct opposition to the rules of competition.  I have wanted BB to be successful if for no other reason than how he goes, so goes my Hogs. 

doc53

My reasons.....we rarely have a SEC caliber defensive front 7 and the offensive line talent and coaching has diminished with the leaving of Pittman......IMO
I was THERE for the Pooch Kick

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: 12247 on September 29, 2017, 08:19:16 pm
FOTH, I don't know you but I have developed a deep respect for you and wouldn't ever start to disagree with your opinion mostly because you are far closer to this team than I.  I will stick to the things I note. When a well meaning Kid comes off the field after a costly mistake that you say they've been coached on, why doesn't one of the coaches meet that Kid at fields edge and have a coaching chat with him, a real training chat and maybe a diagram.  Not a butt chewing, a training moment.  You mentioned something I haven't noticed happening much, when a players isn't playing well, pull him.  For all time, the fear of losing playing time is an incentive to keep your head, heart, body and soul in the game.  Somehow, i am missing this but more important, the Kid with the mental lapse and realizing he wan't be replaced, has little to worry about.  T J Hammonds must have a problem because when he is on the field, he usually performs decent.  In my opinion, if we have a Kid with the speed he has, I would see to it that he gets coached on whatever he is missing, early on it was carrying the ball too loose. 

I will shut up with this opinion.  If you are not reaching potential and you are doing everything correctly, that is in direct opposition to the rules of competition.  I have wanted BB to be successful if for no other reason than how he goes, so goes my Hogs. 
You will get no arguement from me.  Playing time is the kids most precious resource.  Part of what is so frustrating as I mentioned in the original post is the fact they know their mistakes before they even get to the sideline.  That's what's maddening.  It's like what we all referred to as a lack of mental toughness last season has manifested itself another way.  Again, I've seen the coaches all over the guys about things like this.  THtebguys have been coached.  That's why I came to the coaches defense. 

LZH

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on September 29, 2017, 12:49:41 pm
I haven't posted much in the last few weeks, but I've read a lot.  Like Yogi Berra said, " you can observe a lot by watching."   I am the biggest sunshine pumper on this message board.  I am always positive.  I've gotten to know these players and coaches and I've had the opportunity to attend practices as well as the games.  I see what effort is being out into the program.  So why aren't they more successful?  There is no good explanation for the first three weeks of the season.  There is no right answer.  It's simply frustrating.

The question is, who should we as fans be frustrated with?  Coaches, the AD, the players, who??  I have my opinion and you have yours, but for me, I'm  frustrated with just about everyone.  Players, coaches, fans, and media.  As a player parent, I'm disappointed for simply one reason.  The kids aren't performing up to their capabilities.  I've seen countless posts blaming Coach Bielema and his assistants.  That is fair.   They are the adults.  But at the same time, I've seen practice and seen the coaching.  Not the first 15 minutes the media sees, but the entire practice.  The coaches stress over and over that players have to focus in and do their assignments.  Take the A&M game for example.  21 points are scored when a DLineman takes the wrong gap and doesn't do their assignment.  A DB comes up instead of staying home on a scramble and they score an 80 yd TD.  Some say, they should be coached better.  How do our coaches do better than to run the play 5 times on Thursday emphasizing that you have to stay home?

How do you justify your coverage team having two guys get out of their lanes and it leads to a 100 yd KO return?  They were coached to be in their lane.

Those who don't know any better, whether they be on a message board or in the media see the OL give up 6 sacks.  The film is evaluated and 2 are on the OL, 2 on RBs missing blocks, and 2 on holding the ball too long.  If all 11 guys aren't in the same page, things break down.  They are taught better than they've showed.

I heard someone on the radio complaining about Rhoads saying that there were "5 or 6 breakdowns" that we need to coach up.  There said were tired of excuses.  Well the alternative is Rhoads saying, "I've told them better and they screwed up".  If he said that, he's the crappy coach that throws his kids under the bus.  He had every right to say it, but didn't.  That's why his kids respect him.  Same with Coach Enos, Coach Anderson, and Coach Bielema.  The kids and the coaches are underperforming.  You know it, I know it, but most importantly, they know it. 

I'll finish where I started.  I'm frustrated and I know you are too.  If I felt this coaching staff didn't know what they were doing and if I thought these players didn't have the talent to succeed, I wouldn't be frustrated.  I would accept the fact they weren't very good and not post.  The issue is I know that they are capable of being better than they've shown.  I know that they are coached better than they've shown.  I've seen it with my own eyes. 

People can post what they want.  We see that every day.  People have encouraged others to stay home to show their displeasure with the coaches and administration while at the same time saying that they still support the players.  That's BS.  If you support the players, go to the game.  Be loud when we are on defense and quiet before the snap on offense.  Show these kids you care.  The coaches are trying to coach them up and build them up.  I hope you build them up as well.  The players and coaches won't quit on the fans and the fans shouldn't quit on them.

Good job. You've always been respectful and polite....and not overly rah-rah even though you have every reason to be. Your perspective here brings up a good point for us "fire them damn coaches" fussy types.

Is there any reason to believe that these coaches just aren't relating to some players? Or more directly, are they the by-God demanding personalities that a lot of kids respond to?

I'm just curious as to how hard they are coached. That's isn't intended as an accusation, btw...as in BB doesn't expect the best effort. But it is something I've wondered for several years now, because he has come across as a 'player's coach'. A big brother type as opposed to a hardass who will push, push, push.

And if you'd rather not wade off too far into that, I understand completely.

Ironhawg

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on September 29, 2017, 12:49:41 pm
I hope you build them up as well.  The players and coaches won't quit on the fans and the fans shouldn't quit on them.

Thanks for the info FOTH.  I hope the O-line can figure it out.  We may struggle on defense this year, but if the offense can figure things out, we have a puncher's chance.

PossumFan

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on September 29, 2017, 03:01:29 pm
So your offensive lineman son is telling you that only a third of the protection breakdowns is the fault of the offensive line?

That's great that you have a family member playing for the Razorbacks and that allows you to bring some insight to this board that most of us aren't exposed to.

Why don't you use that access to give us information that is valid and accurate instead of coming on here to push your biased agenda?

I spent 2 hours this week watching every pass play in slow motion, over and over again.  I also caught Chill's post that was very informative in showing root causes of protection breakdowns.

I've got every pass play documented on a tablet from the two hours of video I watched of all the pass plays of the a&m game.  And although I'm very embarrassed to admit that, it at least shows that I'm not talking off the top of my head like you are.

Man, this post is reeking with disrespect. And that's all I've got to say about that.

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

LZH

Quote from: PossumFan on September 29, 2017, 10:05:49 pm
Man, this post is reeking with disrespect. And that's all I've got to say about that.

Damn right.  FOTH has been nothing but easygoing and respectful.....not to mention informative. That's way out of line. Prick.

greenie

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on September 29, 2017, 03:25:19 pm

Smart football players never seem to have that opinion.  They understand that the basic concepts of football can be understood by someone who has never played, if they are willing to take the time to study it.  That's why many Hall of Fame coaches weren't Hall of Fame players.  Ability to play the game at a high level and ability to understand the game at a high level are two different skill sets.

How many HOF players do you know that wanted to follow their playing career with a coaching gig?  Not many.  More likely, they got into coaching because playing for a living wasn't an option...those who can't do, teach.  Are you a teacher?

FOTH, I hope keep posting. Your perspective and positive nature are appreciated.

PonderinHog

Quote from: island hog on September 29, 2017, 06:10:50 pm
Uh no... it's obvious we did not have speed at the lb position and that doomed us against 4 or 5 wides and our CBs couldn't keep up nor tackle. This 3-4 scheme will work with time ... we have to recruit to the LB position and maybe turn some SSs into fast LBers ala Bama.

Yeah, they all make mistakes.  How fast you can make up for those mistakes is the difference between an eight yard play and an eighty yard touchdown.

Speed kills - welcome to the SEC, where the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

LZH

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 29, 2017, 10:54:13 pm
Yeah, since practices have been closed, FOTH is really our only remaining source of inside information.  So, what does Hogville do?  We shoot the damn messenger.  Fortunately, we're terrible shots or he'd be like...

Well, not all of us. Whatshisname was obviously  just being a dorkhead. I've never once read anything FOTH wrote that was rude or snooty.

PonderinHog

Quote from: LZH on September 29, 2017, 11:05:43 pm
Well, not all of us. Whatshisname was obviously  just being a dorkhead. I've never once read anything FOTH wrote that was rude or snooty.
Yeah, FOTH, you and I are a lot alike...

True diplomats...   8)

Hey .333 will get you into the HOF, anyway.

LZH

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 29, 2017, 11:12:37 pm
Yeah, FOTH, you and I are a lot alike...

True diplomats...   8)

Hey .333 will get you into the HOF, anyway.

Damn, then I actually have a really good shot. Can't wait to tell my Mom.

PonderinHog

Quote from: LZH on September 29, 2017, 11:17:40 pm
Damn, then I actually have a really good shot. Can't wait to tell my Mom.
We were soooooo close, mom!

LZH

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 29, 2017, 11:20:23 pm
We were soooooo close, mom!

Hell yeah! For that alone I'd get a big hug, a new Hog visor, chicken-fried steak, mashed potatoes & gravy, and turnip greens & cornbread (with real butter of course).

PonderinHog

Quote from: LZH on September 29, 2017, 11:30:54 pm
Hell yeah! For that alone I'd get a big hug, a new Hog visor, chicken-fried steak, mashed potatoes & gravy, and turnip greens & cornbread (with real butter of course).
Don't forget your prize!

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: LZH on September 29, 2017, 09:42:05 pm
Good job. You've always been respectful and polite....and not overly rah-rah even though you have every reason to be. Your perspective here brings up a good point for us "fire them damn coaches" fussy types.

Is there any reason to believe that these coaches just aren't relating to some players? Or more directly, are they the by-God demanding personalities that a lot of kids respond to?

I'm just curious as to how hard they are coached. That's isn't intended as an accusation, btw...as in BB doesn't expect the best effort. But it is something I've wondered for several years now, because he has come across as a 'player's coach'. A big brother type as opposed to a hardass who will push, push, push.

And if you'd rather not wade off too far into that, I understand completely.

I'm sure a lot of us have played for different coaches with different styles.  I've had everything from the "be your buddy" to "drill sergeant" type.  I would call coach Bielema the "father" type.  He will be supportive.  He will encourage.  But if you upset him, he's pissed off and makes sure you know it.  That's what I believe is the toughest thing about being a D1 coach.  You've got 120 kids, each from a different background.  Many times coaches are the only male role model some of these guys have ever had.  Now, they're away from home and and the coaches have to figure out if the kids personality is a needs a soft word or a kick in the pants or that they need to be screamed at to get the point across.   No two kids are the same.  One of the things that is made clear to all of the players is that the bar for expectations is set high.  No one will be given anything, except an opportunity.  Rhoads, Enos, Anderson, Hargreaves and Walker are more old school intense.  Smith, Lunney, and Scott are a mix of both.  They all have soft sides to them, but I've seen all of them on kids faces and I have no doubt that they get their point across. Hope that answers your question.

bphi11ips

Thanks for the positive post FOTH.  Don't be frustrated. Arkansas got beat by one pretty good team and one very good team.  Either or both games could have gone the other way. 

If anything is frustrating it's losing close games we had a chance to win. But that's football. The same guy who stepped on the backline against TCU made plenty of other good plays no one talks about. Just one example. Whenever a team loses a close game you can look at a few plays that made the difference where execution was a problem. 

Neither this team nor the staff should be frustrated. What they need to do is loosen up and kick someone's ass.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

FBREW000

Just a thought, I would think that getting to see practices several times a year, prior to the season, during season... Would be better than rewinding games over and over.

hmmmm....

Oklahawg

FOTH, you deserve a medal.

What is beyond too many posters (not just on HV, either) is that the coaches DO have a plan, they DO run an efficient practice, they DO have a well-conceived game plan, they DO teach top-notch technique, they DO make in-game adjustments, et al. And, at the end of the day, the players have to perform. The world is filled with great practice players who are duds in games. And, unfortunately, vice versa.

I do know this - once a leader begins doubting that what they are attempting to do might not work they are going to fail as a leader. Thus, I want CBB to be willing to lose his gig doing it his way vs. selling out to second guesses and "what the heck, see if it works" moments.

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

3kgthog

The biggest thing I took from this entire thread is that the players and assistants change, but the questions, issues, and glaring weaknesses remain the same when it comes to Bielema's version of the Hogs. The one constant is the man at the top.

I'll be there tomorrow hoping the kids can overcome their coach. Enjoy your weekend, fellas.

hogninja

FOTH, I  Really appreciate your input with an insider perspective.  I know that everyone is trying Hard.  ONE thing I saw during the TAMU game was when CBB had a huddle with his O line.  He barked and they responded.  He coached IN GAME and I don't see enough of it.  Saben is engaged the entire time and coaching on the sidelines.  My observation is that this team NEEDS fire and brimstone and the only Coach that demonstrates that is Rhodes.  Players need to know when to step it up to push to the end. That is what I think is lacking. JMHO. GO HOGS!

Deep Shoat

Quote from: 3kgthog on September 30, 2017, 12:57:05 am
The biggest thing I took from this entire thread is that the players and assistants change, but the questions, issues, and glaring weaknesses remain the same when it comes to Bielema's version of the Hogs. The one constant is the man at the top.

I'll be there tomorrow hoping the kids can overcome their coach. Enjoy your weekend, fellas.
So, what you took from this thread is that you should continue to hold the same opinion you've had since Coach B was hired?
All Gas, No Brakes!