Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs may not be that far off

Started by reptilehog, April 06, 2014, 01:02:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

reptilehog

Think about it Hog fans.  Swept UK, Should have beaten Florida, and beat 3 of the 4 teams in the NIT final 4 including Minnesota who won it.  BTW, SMU swept UConn too.  Just sayin'.  Looking forward to next year!

hvsupastar

We aren't that far off. We only had about four stinker games other than that we always competed. The light at the end of the tunnel is getting closer
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

3kgthog

You know what other coach had games like that? Nutt.

TNhawgfan

Not that far from what? If we had made it to the NCAA tournament there's not a doubt in my mind we would have lost in the first round. We did a little better away from bud this year, but the Bama game, SEC tournament, and NIT shows to me we still suck away from home. Have to fix that before we say we aren't far away
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Temprees

Quote from: 3kgthog on April 06, 2014, 04:10:36 am
Foolish comparison. 

secfan30

I don't recall Nutt ever having 3 straight seasons that his win total went up. Horrible comparison with an agenda.

labb

Need  Point guard, knock down shooter and a low block player. Those will fix a lot of the road worries. Some say the PG is on his way. Maybe Bell can be the shooter. Don't know about a low block player, but two of the three will take us a long way.

Hogarusa

The only team mentioned that we beat in a true road game is Kentucky.  1-2 in Maui, 3-6 on the SEC road, a 7 game losing streak in Atlanta, and 0-1 on the NIT road makes for a 4-10 record away from the Bud.  The road woes are far from being fixed based off the Bama, USC, and Cal games. 

Maybe next year!
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

booth1249

Agreed that we have some work to do.

But one thing that has encouraged me is the way they've let teams play in the tournament this year.  I thought with the way they've called games since the new rules that Anderson's style would never have a shot at winning anything substantial.  But after watching this tournament, I think if we could get in we could make some noise.  They are allowing a lot of contact.

Cobbler

Quote from: secfan30 on April 06, 2014, 08:00:24 am
I don't recall Nutt ever having 3 straight seasons that his win total went up. Horrible comparison with an agenda.

2000-02

HOGINTENNESSEE

April 06, 2014, 10:06:19 am #10 Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 12:36:06 pm by HOGINTENNESSEE
Quote from: TNhawgfan on April 06, 2014, 07:32:46 am
Not that far from what? If we had made it to the NCAA tournament there's not a doubt in my mind we would have lost in the first round. We did a little better away from bud this year, but the Bama game, SEC tournament, and NIT shows to me we still suck away from home. Have to fix that before we say we aren't far away

We won at UK that for sure is Improvement on the road. Had we had UT tourney schedule we could have gone to the sweet 16 as well. (Although Iowa would have be tough for us to win)

Ironhawg

Quote from: TNhawgfan on April 06, 2014, 07:32:46 am

This

Quote from: lowberh on April 06, 2014, 09:02:55 am
The only team mentioned that we beat in a true road game is Kentucky.  1-2 in Maui, 3-6 on the SEC road, a 7 game losing streak in Atlanta, and 0-1 on the NIT road makes for a 4-10 record away from the Bud.  The road woes are far from being fixed based off the Bama, USC, and Cal games. 

Maybe next year!

And this.

alaback

Quote from: lowberh on April 06, 2014, 09:02:55 am

Maybe next year!

Why did you include a 7 game losing streak in Atlanta in your argument?  One, it has nothing to do with your other metrics, and two, it's not true.  Arkansas has a 3 game losing streak in Atlanta.

Instead of wildly throwing out numbers to fit your narrative, maybe you should examine the numbers a little more closely.  How about making a similar comparison to a team that was perceived to have a "successful" season"?

Let's use Tennessee as an example only using the regular season and conference tournament record.

Arkansas was 1-2 in neutral site games (Cal, Minnesota, and Gonzaga).  All three teams were in the post season and the team we beat won the NIT.

Tennessee was 3-2 in neutral site games (UTEP, Xavier, Wake Forest, S. Carolina, and Florida), beating Xavier, Wake, and S. Carolina.

Arkansas finished 3-6 on the road in the SEC with wins against Kentucky, Vanderbilt, and Mississippi State.

Tennessee finished 4-7 on the road in the SEC with wins against LSU, Auburn, Alabama, and Mississippi State.

I'll add one more stat that you conveniently ignored.  Arkansas finished 17-2 at home with losses in OT to Florida and regulation to Missouri. 

Tennessee finished 13-3 at home with losses to NC State, Florida, and Texas A&M, yes that's right, Texas A&M.

Based on a favorable late season SEC schedule and an easier than expected path in the NCAA tournament, apparently Cuonzo Martin has it all figured out in Knoxville.  Let's talk at the same time next year and examine where Arkansas is in comparison to Tennessee.  Based on "facts", I would say the OP is correct in his assessment, but keep throwing out your talking points.  Maybe they'll stick with some, but they're not going to with those who will take the time to expose your arguments for what they truly are.

Hogarusa

Quote from: alaback on April 06, 2014, 11:27:01 am
Why did you include a 7 game losing streak in Atlanta in your argument?  One, it has nothing to do with your other metrics, and two, it's not true.  Arkansas has a 3 game losing streak in Atlanta.

My bad, should have put 7 straight losses in the SEC tourney.  It's an important
metric because it's a tournament in a neutral arena and Hogs haven't shown that they know how to win.

I don't care about all the Tennessee stats.  Arkansas isn't Tennessee

gmarv

the thing is we did improve this year we won 3 sec road games
the previous 2 years we won 1.say whatever else you want that
is improvement. that is what everyone that wants to kick us says
you have to win on the road.
next year i look for us to win 4 to 6 on the road in the sec
all of our home games.i,m thinking were gonna be top 25 good
next year,nothing ya,ll can say will change my mind.

Hawg Red

It all comes down to consistency.

How far away are we from being consistent? I don't think anyone can possibly answer that with any kind of certainty.

Hogarusa

Based on "facts", I would say the OP is correct in his assessment, but keep throwing out your talking points.  Maybe they'll stick with some, but they're not going to with those who will take the time to expose your arguments for what they truly are.

Tennessee has made the tourney 7 of the past 9 years with 4 Sweet 16 appearances and a spot in the Elite 8.  Hogs have 5 tourney wins in the past 18 seasons.  In the Hogs current 7 SEC tourney game losing streak, Tennessee has 8 wins during the span so sorry if I dont put the 2 teams in the same group even with the departure of Bruce Pearl.

Pigsear

Quote from: gmarv on April 06, 2014, 01:01:43 pm
the thing is we did improve this year we won 3 sec road games
the previous 2 years we won 1.say whatever else you want that
is improvement. that is what everyone that wants to kick us says
you have to win on the road.
next year i look for us to win 4 to 6 on the road in the sec
all of our home games.i,m thinking were gonna be top 25 good
next year,nothing ya,ll can say will change my mind.
Did we really improve or was some of the teams just not as good as they've been in the past? When we beat Kentucky they wasn't playing nothing like they are now. Your right are road record improved, but I'm not sure our team did. Ok I'm off to kick rocks.

bobcat ball

Your comments are always garbage!!!
WOO PIG

gmarv

no rocks need kicking i get the inconsistent thought,we did take a step back at the end of the season.my thinking is as our guys mature
consistency will be better.(thats my hope anyhow) for next year.

Danny J

April 06, 2014, 05:39:41 pm #20 Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 05:54:01 pm by Danny J (headhawg7)
Quote from: Pigsear on April 06, 2014, 03:58:46 pm
Did we really improve or was some of the teams just not as good as they've been in the past? When we beat Kentucky they wasn't playing nothing like they are now. Your right are road record improved, but I'm not sure our team did. Ok I'm off to kick rocks.
Why do people keep saying UK was terrible when we played them? They had won 5 straight before we beat them in BWA and one of those wins was against Louisville. They then won 9 out their next 11 including a loss to #1 Florida and a 5 point close loss at LSU before we beat them in Rupp and that was after winning 7 of their last 8(again with that only loss being against the Gators). Here is their record before playing us the first time and the second time:

Belmont W
Louisville W
MSU W
Vandy W

Then their loss to us in BWA..
Tenn W
aTm W
UGA W
LSU 5 point loss
Mizzou W
Ole Miss W
MSU W
Auburn W
Florida L
Ole Miss W
LSU W

Then their second loss to Arkansas happened at Rupp

Then they lost to USCe at Carolina in OT

Then their only other two losses were again to Florida at Florida and in the SECt

You are buying all the propaganda about UK being a terrible team all season when that is not the case. You do realize that they consider our wins against them as their bad losses don't you? Their only other bad loss was to USCe in a game where they just lost to us and that happened at USCe and in overtime.

Is UK playing THAT much better now? No....they are playing better but lets not pretend they went from complete garbage to national champs in the matter of a few games. It is nothing more than propaganda the media is using to explain their 2 losses to us and USCe. We flat out beat UK and some including myself think we broke UK for at least those two games against us and USCe. We were totally frustrating them to the point where Cal was pulling his hair out and screaming constantly at his players. Had for example Georgia played them in Rupp instead of us I bet they win that game and probably go on to beat Carolina on the road. People can't on one hand claim they were supposed to be good all year preseason #1 then go to terrible and back to national champs all within the period of a little over a month including all the post season tournaments and delays. No way a team can improve from bad to national champs within that time frame. That is absurd.

Instead we are to believe the national narrative that we didn't beat a good team twice but instead a good team playing bad lost to us and we had no hand in the outcome. That is nothing but bias and ignorance on the part of the media.

mhuff

There are a lot of things that CMA can be commended for
this year. However, you can not commend him for getting his teams ready for the away games. I just wish him luck for next year. The NIT was an embarrassment.

bobcat ball

Quote from: mhuff on April 06, 2014, 06:11:11 pm
The NIT was an embarrassment.

The outcome or the fact we were in the NIT?
WOO PIG

Pigsear

Quote from: gmarv on April 06, 2014, 05:28:27 pm
no rocks need kicking i get the inconsistent thought,we did take a step back at the end of the season.my thinking is as our guys mature
consistency will be better.(thats my hope anyhow) for next year.
I honestly hope your right.

Pigsear

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on April 06, 2014, 05:39:41 pm
Why do people keep saying UK was terrible when we played them? They had won 5 straight before we beat them in BWA and one of those wins was against Louisville. They then won 9 out their next 11 including a loss to #1 Florida and a 5 point close loss at LSU before we beat them in Rupp and that was after winning 7 of their last 8(again with that only loss being against the Gators). Here is their record before playing us the first time and the second time:

Belmont W
Louisville W
MSU W
Vandy W

Then their loss to us in BWA..
Tenn W
aTm W
UGA W
LSU 5 point loss
Mizzou W
Ole Miss W
MSU W
Auburn W
Florida L
Ole Miss W
LSU W

Then their second loss to Arkansas happened at Rupp

Then they lost to USCe at Carolina in OT

Then their only other two losses were again to Florida at Florida and in the SECt

You are buying all the propaganda about UK being a terrible team all season when that is not the case. You do realize that they consider our wins against them as their bad losses don't you? Their only other bad loss was to USCe in a game where they just lost to us and that happened at USCe and in overtime.

Is UK playing THAT much better now? No....they are playing better but lets not pretend they went from complete garbage to national champs in the matter of a few games. It is nothing more than propaganda the media is using to explain their 2 losses to us and USCe. We flat out beat UK and some including myself think we broke UK for at least those two games against us and USCe. We were totally frustrating them to the point where Cal was pulling his hair out and screaming constantly at his players. Had for example Georgia played them in Rupp instead of us I bet they win that game and probably go on to beat Carolina on the road. People can't on one hand claim they were supposed to be good all year preseason #1 then go to terrible and back to national champs all within the period of a little over a month including all the post season tournaments and delays. No way a team can improve from bad to national champs within that time frame. That is absurd.

Instead we are to believe the national narrative that we didn't beat a good team twice but instead a good team playing bad lost to us and we had no hand in the outcome. That is nothing but bias and ignorance on the part of the media.
All I know is their in the NC game, and we lost in the 1st round of the NIT and look bad doing it, seem pretty far apart to me.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Pigsear on April 06, 2014, 06:32:15 pm
All I know is their in the NC game, and we lost in the 1st round of the NIT and look bad doing it, seem pretty far apart to me.
So basically, you know nothing.

bobcat ball

Funny I thought we lost in the 2nd round.
WOO PIG

Danny J

We lost in the second round at Cal and Arizona also had the same problem at Cal as well. So while we looked bad most of the game it is not as though we lost again to Alabama at Alabama. The point of the thread is to show we are capable of playing with any team in the country when playing our best but our mental toughness isn't to the point where we can play that consistently. If we were at that point then we would a top 5 national team and nobody here is claiming that. We are inconsistent but guess what? So are all the other teams on the "bubble". We have not been this competitive in a long long time. We beat a national championship team twice and once in Rupp, took the Gators to OT, beat 3 of the 4 NIT final four teams as well. We are not that far away. Just a little mental toughness will get us back to the NCAAt and a couple of good guards away from making a run to the sweet 16.

rude1

I just don't get trying to use teams you have beaten success and translate it onto yourself. Guess SC is not that far off either, they got a win against Ky. and us.

Pigsear

Quote from: PonderinHog on April 06, 2014, 06:35:17 pm
So basically, you know nothing.
Yep just like 99.9% of posters on here. The difference in me and you I'll admit I don't.

Danny J

Quote from: rude1 on April 06, 2014, 06:58:23 pm
I just don't get trying to use teams you have beaten success and translate it onto yourself. Guess SC is not that far off either, they got a win against Ky. and us.
How else do you measure success? I measure it by the good teams we beat. We had a much better overall record and conference record with much better wins. We finished with the most wins we have had in a long time with good quality wins. Sure we had a few bad losses but when weighing the last 5 years of basketball this was by far the best season. We finally beat Ole Miss, first time ever we swept UK(a team playing for the national title), beat 3 of the 4 NIT final four including both teams in the finals and the winner, etc......

Wichita state wasn't really able to do that this year. They were never able to claim they beat a good team all season. At least we were able to claim we won games against UK twice, SMU, Clemson, Minnesota, LSU, UGA, etc....I guess I am trying to say you can measure it both ways. In our case being a bubble team means we are right on the edge but we can point to some good wins and a couple things we haven't done in 20 years. So I think we are not that far off.

I do expect us to be more than a bubble team next year.

Pigsear

Quote from: bobcat ball on April 06, 2014, 06:39:38 pm
Funny I thought we lost in the 2nd round.
I stand corrected, but we still looked bad.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Pigsear on April 06, 2014, 07:04:47 pm
Yep just like 99.9% of posters on here. The difference in me and you I'll admit I don't.
I'll be the first to admit that you're wrong.  If you're going to make a statement negative statement like that, at least get your facts straight.  And yes, I'll admit when I've made a missteak.

rude1

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on April 06, 2014, 07:07:09 pm
How else do you measure success? I measure it by the good teams we beat. We had a much better overall record and conference record with much better wins. We finished with the most wins we have had in a long time with good quality wins. Sure we had a few bad losses but when weighing the last 5 years of basketball this was by far the best season. We finally beat Ole Miss, first time ever we swept UK(a team playing for the national title), beat 3 of the 4 NIT final four including both teams in the finals and the winner, etc......

Wichita state wasn't really able to do that this year. They were never able to claim they beat a good team all season. At least we were able to claim we won games against UK twice, SMU, Clemson, Minnesota, LSU, UGA, etc....I guess I am trying to say you can measure it both ways. In our case being a bubble team means we are right on the edge but we can point to some good wins and a couple things we haven't done in 20 years. So I think we are not that far off.

I do expect us to be more than a bubble team next year.
There is were the lines of perception and reality get blurred. We have been 10-8 in the SEC in the last two seasons. Yes we won a couple of more road games, that's the good news, the bad news is we loss two home games more than the year before........

forrest city joe

Instead of wildly throwing out numbers to fit your narrative, maybe you should examine the numbers a little more closely.  How about making a similar comparison to a team that was perceived to have a "successful" season"?

Let's use Tennessee as an example only using the regular season and conference tournament record.

Arkansas was 1-2 in neutral site games (Cal, Minnesota, and Gonzaga).  All three teams were in the post season and the team we beat won the NIT.

Tennessee was 3-2 in neutral site games (UTEP, Xavier, Wake Forest, S. Carolina, and Florida), beating Xavier, Wake, and S. Carolina.

Arkansas finished 3-6 on the road in the SEC with wins against Kentucky, Vanderbilt, and Mississippi State.

Tennessee finished 4-7 on the road in the SEC with wins against LSU, Auburn, Alabama, and Mississippi State.

I'll add one more stat that you conveniently ignored.  Arkansas finished 17-2 at home with losses in OT to Florida and regulation to Missouri. 

Tennessee finished 13-3 at home with losses to NC State, Florida, and Texas A&M, yes that's right, Texas A&M.

Based on a favorable late season SEC schedule and an easier than expected path in the NCAA tournament, apparently Cuonzo Martin has it all figured out in Knoxville.  Let's talk at the same time next year and examine where Arkansas is in comparison to Tennessee.  Based on "facts", I would say the OP is correct in his assessment, but keep throwing out your talking points.  Maybe they'll stick with some, but they're not going to with those who will take the time to expose your arguments for what they truly are.
Very good post. but why let the truth get in the way of the sky is falling folks?

Danny J

Quote from: rude1 on April 06, 2014, 07:11:32 pm
There is were the lines of perception and reality get blurred. We have been 10-8 in the SEC in the last two seasons. Yes we won a couple of more road games, that's the good news, the bad news is we loss two home games more than the year before........
True but we lost to a bubble team at home in Mizzou and Florida so we did OK. I would much prefer the road win at Rupp to beating Mizzou or Florida at home. The national narrative for several years has been our inability to beat quality or even average teams away from BWA but we could beat any team in BWA so beating UF in BWA and losing to UK in Rupp would just be the norm and would not have helped change our perception as a terrible road team. We went from being a terrible road team to about average. I still think its progress even though our record remained the same.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on April 06, 2014, 07:29:39 pm
True but we lost to a bubble team at home in Mizzou and Florida so we did OK. I would much prefer the road win at Rupp to beating Mizzou or Florida at home. The national narrative for several years has been our inability to beat quality or even average teams away from BWA but we could beat any team in BWA so beating UF in BWA and losing to UK in Rupp would just be the norm and would not have helped change our perception as a terrible road team. We went from being a terrible road team to about average. I still think its progress even though our record remained the same.
Danny, which announcer during the Ole Miss massacre said, "If Arkansas keeps playing like this, they can beat any team in the country?"  When's the last time we heard that said about Arkansas?

mtnmusic

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 06, 2014, 03:03:33 pm
It all comes down to consistency.

How far away are we from being consistent? I don't think anyone can possibly answer that with any kind of certainty.
I don't think consistency is as much of a factor as persistency. This is a team that explains away losses by comments like "I guess they wanted it more than us." Somehow they managed to get up for some games but went almost lackadaisical for others. I wish that Mike was the same caliber of motivator that Nolan was because this team's attitude seems to be "you win some.. you lose some." These kids need to realize that the only thing worse than losing is facing coach in the locker room knowing that you didn't give 110% effort every minute. And now.. bring on the smites!!!

rude1

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on April 06, 2014, 07:29:39 pm
We loss our last three games played away from home, and all were very poor performances. I hesitate to say the road woes have been addressed. To be a good team you have to beat the bad teams no matter where you play, we have yet to show we can do that.

Danny J

Quote from: PonderinHog on April 06, 2014, 07:56:44 pm
Danny, which announcer during the Ole Miss massacre said, "If Arkansas keeps playing like this, they can beat any team in the country?"  When's the last time we heard that said about Arkansas?
If I remember correctly it was a ESPN3 game and I was at the game and re-watched it later the next day and I can't honestly remember who did the game.

Danny J

Quote from: rude1 on April 06, 2014, 08:42:48 pm
We loss our last three games played away from home, and all were very poor performances. I hesitate to say the road woes have been addressed. To be a good team you have to beat the bad teams no matter where you play, we have yet to show we can do that.
I agree and I think that(consistency) will come with some mental toughness. I am not intentionally player bashing but Scott, Wade and Gulley were not the type of guards we need as far as mental mindset goes. I wish Haydar had half the ability the aforementioned players had and he would have been a starter. Listening to and watching Beard and Babb I think we get that next year. I think or at least hope that Durham can offer the same. I still think it will be at least late January before we see what this team can be. I hope our current guards are able to step up until that happens and deliver.

mhuff

Quote from: PonderinHog on April 06, 2014, 07:56:44 pm

Ponderin, that would be Bobby Knight. It is my opinion that you can get football teams up emotionally for maybe three games a year. In BB, I think because you have more games ....maybe five. The rest of the time you had better have good fundamentals. Obviously, our team does not have good fundamentals nor is there high quality coaching going on. Things go bad and CMA doesn't seem to be able to right the ship. I just hope he does better next year. My patience for good coaching is running out. I don't have anything to do with what MA does or does not do..... But I won't watch bad BB. Some of the games were absolutely as horrible as it gets.

Danny J

Quote from: mhuff on April 06, 2014, 09:30:35 pm
Ponderin, that would be Bobby Knight. It is my opinion that you can get football teams up emotionally for maybe three games a year. In BB, I think because you have more games ....maybe five. The rest of the time you had better have good fundamentals. Obviously, our team does not have good fundamentals nor is there high quality coaching going on. Things go bad and CMA doesn't seem to be able to right the ship. I just hope he does better next year. My patience for good coaching is running out. I don't have anything to do with what MA does or does not do..... But I won't watch bad BB. Some of the games were absolutely as horrible as it gets.
Thats right. He said that when we played at Rupp during the first half. I still can't remember who did the Ole miss game.

Hogarusa

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on April 06, 2014, 09:39:21 pm
Thats right. He said that when we played at Rupp during the first half. I still can't remember who did the Ole miss game.

Talent: Dave Weekley (P-B-P) & Daymeon Fishback (Analyst)

Danny J

Quote from: lowberh on April 07, 2014, 12:10:29 am

Talent: Dave Weekley (P-B-P) & Daymeon Fishback (Analyst)
Now that you mention it I remember seeing Fishback there because he and Scotty spent a good portion chatting pre-game.

LZH

Quote from: reptilehog on April 06, 2014, 01:02:21 am
Think about it Hog fans.  Swept UK, Should have beaten Florida, and beat 3 of the 4 teams in the NIT final 4 including Minnesota who won it.  BTW, SMU swept UConn too.  Just sayin'.  Looking forward to next year!

Yeah, that's wonderful, fantastic.....and I have a date with Scarlett Johansson.  Well, she doesn't actually know it yet, but if she ever opens one of the 6,847 emails I sent her, I just know she'll say yes!