Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Benintendi in the Minors...Majors Now

Started by JHicks3636, April 05, 2016, 10:42:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JHicks3636

Quote from: mrp on August 24, 2016, 08:17:39 pm
Looked like his knee to me. Hopefully it looked worse than it is.
Replay showed him rolling the ankle. Even with that it could cause a knee injury. He was in great pain.

hoglady

Quote from: JHicks3636 on August 24, 2016, 08:18:54 pm
Replay showed him rolling the ankle. Even with that it could cause a knee injury. He was in great pain.

Hate to hear that.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hoglady

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

JHicks3636

Have a couple of photos but cant get them to link. I'll keep trying.

PintailKiller

Quote from: JHicks3636 on August 24, 2016, 08:14:46 pm
Benintedi had doubled in the 7th. Then made a bad base running mistake on a groundball to ss. In trying to get back to 2nd, he badly rolled his left ankle. he had to be helped off the field. Did not look good.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2016/08/24/red-sox-rookie-andrew-benintendi-injured-helped-off-field/1flyaON1kJkgU2vQjiGLgI/story.html
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Rookie left fielder Andrew Benintendi, one of the Red Sox' best players since he was called up on Aug. 2, left Wednesday's game against Tampa Bay in the seventh inning with what appeared to be a significant injury.

Benintendi was on second base when Dustin Pedroia hit a soft line drive up the middle. Benintendi started to break for third base then darted back to second fearing he would be doubled off.

His left leg awkwardly turned and the 22-year-old had to be helped off the field. No announcement has come from the team yet. Benintendi has hit .324 with an .850 OPS in 21 games.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

JHicks3636

JHicks3636

Early diagnosis is left knee sprain. More test tomorrow. May see his first visit to the DL.

WBOBO

My  diagnosis is a hyperextended knee.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

Maddhog

"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

WBOBO

I've watched it about 30 times and that a hyperextension I think happened.  I've seen that in the NFL and that is what they usually diagnosis.  I think they say 4-6 weeks but I could be wrong.

WBOBO

I listened to Beni's  interview and man he is Bradyesque.  Confident yet a little scared.
He tried to deflect the whole thing to his error running the bases.  A true Professional.
He seemed a little scared in his voice but hell who wouldn't be.

Maddhog

"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

WBOBO

So do I.  I got tickets for the Sat game with the Blue Jays the last weekend of the regular season behind the 3rd base dugout 18 rows up.  I wanted some Beni ball.
And still may get it.  He said we will wake up tomorrow and see how it feels.

jbell96

Hoping a hyper extension is all it is, but it looked really really bad.

PintailKiller

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2016/08/25/benintendiupdate/Rljh5a2SFOvRqe6f4BiWxL/story.html?s_campaign=bostonglobe%3Asocialflow%3Atwitter

15 day DL, MRI still being evaluated.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

hoglady

Well - my bubble is burst.
I just hate this for him. I've so enjoyed watching his success so far - playing for the team I've loved for over 50 years. My relatives up there (lifelong Red Sox fans) have fallen in love with him.
I can't imagine the disappointment he feels.

JHicks3636

Hoping for the best. It has been fun following him this year.

razorbackfan4life

It's a lot easier to tear your acl than most of you would think. 

I tore mine with a similar movement to Andrews knee. 

You never know until the  MRI confirms it.

Hopefully it's something minor.    He was playing amazing baseball. 

hoglady

Good Lord - I've been reading some Sox message boards.
They are talking about career changing or ending injury if ACL tear - loss of speed and power.
I think that's a little over the top. If a running back can come back from a ACL injury - I don't see why a baseball player can't.
Of course, at this point we don't know whether it's an ACL or not.

WBOBO

I'm not having good vibes waiting this long.  Does anyone know anything new?

JHicks3636

Quote from: WBOBO on August 25, 2016, 08:26:38 pm
I'm not having good vibes waiting this long.  Does anyone know anything new?

Boston said they would not have more information until Friday.

WBOBO

I'm going to stay positive on this one.  I still say hyperextension.  And say a prayer tonight.

BentonvilleJeff

Quote from: hoglady on August 25, 2016, 01:16:26 pm
Good Lord - I've been reading some Sox message boards.
They are talking about career changing or ending injury if ACL tear - loss of speed and power.
I think that's a little over the top. If a running back can come back from a ACL injury - I don't see why a baseball player can't.
Of course, at this point we don't know whether it's an ACL or not.
Got a friend that lives in Maine. Die hard Red Sox fan. First day of season one time he said that the season is over. Looked terrible. That fan base is good people but very much glass is half empty.

JHicks3636

The news is better than it could be. No structural damage to the knee. It will take time to heal but could play before the end of the regular season. Source: Manager John Farrell per ESPN. Diagnosis made after another MRI, x-ray and a CT scan.

hoglady

Quote from: BentonvilleJeff on August 26, 2016, 12:01:28 pm
Got a friend that lives in Maine. Die hard Red Sox fan. First day of season one time he said that the season is over. Looked terrible. That fan base is good people but very much glass is half empty.

The Red Sox oldtimers are ingrained with that attitude - I include myself in that statement as I've been a fan for over 50 years. Although I have overcome a lot of that doomsday attitude.
Prior to 2004 - no matter how good they looked - you just waited for the other shoe to drop. You knew in your heart they would find a way to lose the games that meant the most, the games that could get them to the World Series or win the World Series.
The disappointment at times was hard to take. So I understand the attitude.
But things changed in 2004 and they are a different organization now.

hoglady

Quote from: JHicks3636 on August 26, 2016, 03:37:20 pm
The news is better than it could be. No structural damage to the knee. It will take time to heal but could play before the end of the regular season. Source: Manager John Farrell per ESPN. Diagnosis made after another MRI, x-ray and a CT scan.

That is wonderful news.

hoglady

Quote from: BentonvilleJeff on August 26, 2016, 12:01:28 pm

I've got a step-brother that lives in York Beach, Maine.
He appears to love it up there.
Too darn cold for me.

Dropkick

BentonvilleJeff

Quote from: hoglady on August 26, 2016, 03:49:11 pm
I've got a step-brother that lives in York Beach, Maine.
He appears to love it up there.
Too darn cold for me.
Agree. Way too cold. I didn't even want to swim in the ocean when I was there in summer time.

Awesome news on no structural damage!!

JHicks3636

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Hogs run wild

so glad it's just a sprain. such a good character guy.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

Razorbacks#1

Quote from: JHicks3636 on August 26, 2016, 03:37:20 pm
Encouraging news for sure, as it could have been a lot worse.
"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

hoglady

Quote from: mrp on August 27, 2016, 11:34:49 pm
Andrew has already proven that he is the greatest razorback baseball player of all time.

Are you talking college only?

hog.goblin

Quote from: hoglady on August 28, 2016, 10:38:08 am
Are you talking college only?

I'm with you on this.  I can agree with this at the collegiate level.  But for an overall career, college and pro career, he's got several people in front of him.

hoglady

Quote from: hog.goblin on August 29, 2016, 09:56:00 pm
I'm with you on this.  I can agree with this at the collegiate level.  But for an overall career, college and pro career, he's got several people in front of him.

Yep - like a couple of Cy Young winners.

flippinhogmana

and all stars, Kevin McReynolds, Jeff King among others a couple before them...a long while back
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

jesterzzn

I don't think Randy Jackson should count since he transferred to Texas.  McReynold's while definitely one of the greatest in Razorback history, really wasn't the undisputed greatest Razorback of his era.  I think that Johnny Ray has a very compelling argument.  Whichever of those two you favor they both were better than the next best to come along, Tom Pagnozi and Jeff King.

Of course, Cliff Lee redefined the conversation with his 3-4 year stretch as the best left handed pitcher in baseball.  I think he is currently the undisputed greatest Razorback of all time in terms of overall career.  He's definitely the only former Razorback to come within mention of potential Hall of Fame honors. 

jesterzzn

Quote from: mrp on August 30, 2016, 09:40:44 pm
Not talking pitchers. Players only.  Not talking years in MLB or realized potential.

Based on pure talent it's AB.

Well, if you were talking accomplishments (and I understand you are not), then Benintendi is still at the top of the list for Razorback players through their 23rd birthday.  Meaning that he's far more accomplished than any other former Razorback to equivalent points in their careers.

But since you mean talent only, well, I think that Eibner was the most purely talented razorback baseball player I've ever witnessed personally.  The guy could hit a moonshot homer in the same game he was striking out 10+ while throwing 99mph.  That's pure talent.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: jesterzzn on August 31, 2016, 11:12:48 am
Well, if you were talking accomplishments (and I understand you are not), then Benintendi is still at the top of the list for Razorback players through their 23rd birthday.  Meaning that he's far more accomplished than any other former Razorback to equivalent points in their careers.

But since you mean talent only, well, I think that Eibner was the most purely talented razorback baseball player I've ever witnessed personally.  The guy could hit a moonshot homer in the same game he was striking out 10+ while throwing 99mph.  That's pure talent.

But, sadly, can't hit for average to sustain an MLB career to this point.

flippinhogmana

For me only, I would just say that at this point in his career, AB is the most accomplished.  But injuries do factor.  Both King (back) and McReynolds (knees) had their careers limited and shorted by injuries.  Lets hope AB's isnt similarly affected.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

PorcineSublime

Quote from: hog.goblin on August 30, 2016, 09:55:59 pm
Definitely the greatest left handed razorback non-pitcher to play in the outfield with the initials A.B.

Any other new qualifiers?

Don't get me wrong, if he stays healthy I think he'll be the greatest position player of razorback history, and will have a shot at it including pitchers.  I'm certainly rooting for him.
For sure hard to compare across decades. Jeff King was the #1 pick overall and had a decent pro career, but was injured a good bit of the time. Batted behind Bonds, Bonilla, and Van Slyke which make you wonder how he could have stood out at all against that backdrop. Johnny Ray had the longer career, but then the Pirates were not relevant(even when they were winning) so he got little press. I am hoping Andrew gets healthy and stays that way. He is in a place where they get press even when the team is not that good.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

JHicks3636

One of the first articles that I have been able to find with any update on Benintendi. Sounds like pretty good news.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/mlb/red-sox-andrew-benintendi-seen-running-well/ar-AAir7Fw

rhog1

Quote from: JHicks3636 on September 04, 2016, 11:38:03 am
One of the first articles that I have been able to find with any update on Benintendi. Sounds like pretty good news.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/mlb/red-sox-andrew-benintendi-seen-running-well/ar-AAir7Fw
Great to see. Hopefully he is back soon.

hoglady

JHicks3636

JHicks3636