Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is College Football becoming a "Professional Sport"?

Started by Rooka, January 10, 2015, 01:12:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rooka

It's a slow Saturday, at least until the Hogs play later on, but I just wanted to gauge what you guys think of what college football is turning into. We are not quite to the point of it actually being a "professional sport" because the players are not compensated with cash. They do, however, receive a scholarship in which they are granted a free ride to whoever will offer it to them.

While I believe that receiving a free college education is a HUGE compensation for playing, it seems to have lost it's value to the players. Why do we believe that is? For me, it's because players no longer pick schools based on academics. They pick a school based on the football program, coaches, starting time, promises made to them, draft stock, location, etc. Now that is a huge generalization, because I know that not ALL players disregard it, but I think it is safe to say a healthy majority don't choose a University based on academics so in their minds they might ask "why is a scholarship enough?"

Players that choose Alabama in Football are not choosing the University of Alabama, players that choose Kentucky in Basketball are not picking the University of Kentucky, players that choose Arkansas in Track are not picking the University of Arkansas. Again, a generalization, but I think you get my point.

I look at it from my personal perspective as a fan of the Hog teams. I have no vested interest in the University itself, because I never attended (as badly as I wished too, but that is covered in other threads.) Arkansas has always been the state's "pro" team. Why? because they represent more than a University, they represent the state as a whole. When most people think of the Hogs, I have found most think of the sports teams themselves not the University. (This takes nothing away from Alumni and the proud connection they have, because it's something I know all fans long for if they don't have it.)

So when these players, inevitably, get what they want and get compensated for their time at a University would you look at it different? Would these teams really be more "semi-pro" teams rather than teams that represent a University? I believe that no matter what the Razorbacks will always represent a University and a state, but does paying the players take away from the connection to the University? They will always be student athletes, but how much are they really students? and how much are they really athletes? It's just a long, drawn out thought, but if you read this mangled up/scatter brained mess I call my thoughts, then kudos to you.

GO HOGS  :razorback: