Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Better start or finish?

Started by vbgonz46, December 11, 2014, 09:15:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

vbgonz46

I get the feeling the finish will not match the strong start to this recruiting class?   I don't see the heavy hitters being brought in on OV's late in the process .  There isn't anything wrong with that IMO, but it will be the difference between a top 30 and top 15 class. 
Date Registered:  December 10, 2004, 12:43:54 AM

Scott7703

Most of our recruiting guys are predicting a strong finish. We have the makings of a top 15 class with a quality finish.

vbgonz46

What do you think we need to make this class over the top.  I feel like we need big time LB and Secondary player and possibly another "stud" Rb to put them over . 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Scott7703 on December 11, 2014, 09:28:27 pm
Most of our recruiting guys are predicting a strong finish.

When does that not happen?  And we'll need more than a quality finish to make top 15.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: vbgonz46 on December 11, 2014, 09:36:14 pm
What do you think we need to make this class over the top.  I feel like we need big time LB and Secondary player and possibly another "stud" Rb to put them over . 

That is your top?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 11, 2014, 09:37:20 pm
When does that not happen?  And we'll need more than a quality finish to make top 15.

Last year Ole Piss finished 15 th with the same number of 4 stars we currently have (247 composite)

Scott7703

No we really won't need much more than a quality finish to move finish top 15. We are ranked between 15-20 now. Add let's say Merrick, Redwine, Haughton, and a couple others and we will be there.

While there generally always is a buzz from the recurring guys about how we'll finish it's different this year. We have actually turned away some quality guys as this point and not taken commits from some that were ready to commit. That tells me we have a good feeling about some of the other more highly ranked guys.

HOGINTENNESSEE

This staff has finished strong the last 2 years. That being said our start has been so strong it would be hard to match

Music City Hog

We have never finished in the top 15 in our history.  This year will not be in different.  However, we do have some nice pieces and its a solid class.

Music City Hog

Quote from: Scott7703 on December 11, 2014, 09:41:58 pm
No we really won't need much more than a quality finish to move finish top 15. We are ranked between 15-20 now. Add let's say Merrick, Redwine, Haughton, and a couple others and we will be there.

While there generally always is a buzz from the recurring guys about how we'll finish it's different this year. We have actually turned away some quality guys as this point and not taken commits from some that were ready to commit. That tells me we have a good feeling about some of the other more highly ranked guys.

If we added Merrick, Haughton, and Redwine tonight, we wouldn't move a single spot.  We would still be ranked 20. 

redeye

Is all this recent negativity due to Barnett, alone?  I realize we had our hopes set high on him committing to Arkansas, but he's just one player and we don't even know what happened.

We're still in on several great players, and even more then most years, I suspect there are more we still don't know about.  We've heard several stories of recruits interested in committing, who were told to hold off, and that's not something we're used to hearing.  If we'd accepted their commitments, this probably isn't a topic, but it appears that we have our sights set higher, to the dismay of some around here.

Even if we miss on all our remaining big targets, I still think we finish with a very good class, but just a couple of surprises could turn it into a great one.  Not sure where all the worrying is about?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Scott7703 on December 11, 2014, 09:41:58 pm

We always start hearing about turning away recruits this time of year and interpret as we must be on several bigger fish.  Never really seen it finish that way. 

And we aren't operating in a vacuum.  If we get Merrick, Redwine and Haughton, that doesn't mean top 15, because there are plenty of teams that will pick up a handful of players equal to that too.  The distance between 15 and 20 is quite large.

But there's always a first time for everything.

Scott7703

Quote from: Music City Hog on December 11, 2014, 09:45:38 pm

If we added Merrick, Haughton, and Redwine tonight, we wouldn't move a single spot.  We would still be ranked 20. 

Which recruiting site do you reference? Also where do you see us finishing come feb 5th or whatever that first Wednesday is?

Scott7703

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 11, 2014, 09:50:40 pm
We always start hearing about turning away recruits this time of year and interpret as we must be on several bigger fish.  Never really seen it finish that way. 

And we aren't operating in a vacuum.  If we get Merrick, Redwine and Haughton, that doesn't mean top 15, because there are plenty of teams that will pick up a handful of players equal to that too.  The distance between 15 and 20 is quite large.

We may not finish in the top 15 (I actually think we have a chance to) but unless we whiff entirely down the home stretch this will be one of if not the best classes we've signed in the last 20 years.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Scott7703 on December 11, 2014, 09:55:02 pm
We may not finish in the top 15 (I actually think we have a chance to) but unless we whiff entirely down the home stretch this will be one of if not the best classes we've signed in the last 20 years.

I agree.  I just find it hilarious that recruiting rankings never matter around here...until they do matter.  I don't expect we'll get top 15.  I expect about 20ish, which would be terrific for this program. 

This time of year, we always hear that we must be on some behind the scenes studs, because we always hear that we're turning down all these recruits who want to commit.  Is there truth in those annual claims?  Probably, but I bet it's on a much smaller scale than suggested.

Regardless, Recruiting is looking good right now, no doubt.

greenie

December 11, 2014, 10:11:48 pm #15 Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 11:57:48 pm by greenie
Quote from: Scott7703 on December 11, 2014, 09:55:02 pm

We're going to have a great class.  No doubt.  And this staff will build a competitive team out of them. 

redeye

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 11, 2014, 09:50:40 pm

We may hear a little about turning away recruits, but we've heard more of it this year.  We also know we have good recruiters and could very well see surprises like we saw in 2012, with Collins and Kirkland.

Yea, we probably won't finish in the top-15, but that really shouldn't be much of a surprise, because that's not something easy to do.  Also, several of our higher rated commitments have gone from higher 4-stars, to lower 4-stars throughout the year, and that really hurt our chances of finishing in the top-15.

This is still a great class, regardless of what the rankings may say, so I won't get too caught up in where we finish ranked.  Just because we finish behind LSU doesn't mean we'll lose to LSU, just as we won't beat Missouri simply because we finished higher.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: redeye on December 11, 2014, 10:13:13 pm
We may hear a little about turning away recruits, but we've heard more of it this year.  We also know we have good recruiters and could very well see surprises like we saw in 2012, with Collins and Kirkland.

Yea, we probably won't finish in the top-15, but that really shouldn't be much of a surprise, because that's not something easy to do.  Also, several of our higher rated commitments have gone from higher 4-stars, to lower 4-stars throughout the year, and that really hurt our chances of finishing in the top-15.

This is still a great class, regardless of what the rankings may say, so I won't get too caught up in where we finish ranked.  Just because we finish behind LSU doesn't mean we'll lose to LSU, just as we won't beat Missouri simply because we finished higher.

I agree except your first sentence.  We heard it profusely when BP was here.  It was comical.  Always turning kids down.  Always backing off the recruit, never vice versa.  Silent commits galore. 

That's recruiting.

carolinahogger

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 11, 2014, 10:04:23 pm
I agree.  I just find it hilarious that recruiting rankings never matter around here...until they do matter. 

Burlsworth was a walk on, you know.   ;)

redeye

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 11, 2014, 10:25:18 pm
I agree except your first sentence.  We heard it profusely when BP was here.  It was comical.  Always turning kids down.  Always backing off the recruit, never vice versa.  Silent commits galore. 

That's recruiting.

Yea, we did hear it some back then, but I just don't remember hearing it as much.  Maybe I just didn't buy into it back then, as I do today?  Not sure, but I don't think it's the same.

Just because we're asking players to hold off before committing, doesn't mean we'll get better players, though.  It simply means that we think we have a shot at getting better players.  I don't think either of us would prefer them to pass on that shot.

vbgonz46

Stability and development probably plays more of a role in a program than recruiting ranking .  If you can't keep a class intact for 4 years then it wouldnt matter how highly rated.  I believe Cbb will provide good enough good classes to go along with keeping players from transferring and falling out.  As long as he stays sharp on the Xs and Os we should be fine.

The real Hogules

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 11, 2014, 10:25:18 pm

That's recruiting.
Believe what you want, but CBP and his staff did turn recruits away, although they weren't always 4-5 star types our staff did their own evaluations and recruited accordingly.
CBB has stepped it up a little in recruiting in his first two seasons at Arkansas and appears poised to knock it out of the park - by Arkansas standards. He and his staff are recruiting a balanced class, looking to add quality depth at almost every position on the field.
This staff is recruiting a wonderful class and I for one expect a stronger than normal finish at the UofA.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Music City Hog

Quote from: Scott7703 on December 11, 2014, 09:53:27 pm
Which recruiting site do you reference? Also where do you see us finishing come feb 5th or whatever that first Wednesday is?

247.  Using their class calculator and adding those three players doesn't move us a single spot from 20.  And that's with nobody else adding any commits.

At this point when everyone has close to a full class, adding a commit doesn't move the needle too much in regards to rankings.

However, I think this is a very good class for Arkansas. We have a few more needs to fill and hopefully that gets done too.

lefty08

Quote from: Music City Hog on December 12, 2014, 06:01:54 am
247.  Using their class calculator and adding those three players doesn't move us a single spot from 20.  And that's with nobody else adding any commits.

At this point when everyone has close to a full class, adding a commit doesn't move the needle too much in regards to rankings.

However, I think this is a very good class for Arkansas. We have a few more needs to fill and hopefully that gets done too.

I can't use my class calculater on my phone, but this is hard to believe. We are getting penalized right now for not having 20 committed, so adding 3 guys should give us a bump. Are you saying we as so far behind 19 we don't move at all? Doesn't sound right
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

alwaysnextyear

Mike_e

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 11, 2014, 10:04:23 pm
I agree.  I just find it hilarious that recruiting rankings never matter around here...until they do matter.  I don't expect we'll get top 15.  I expect about 20ish, which would be terrific for this program. 

This time of year, we always hear that we must be on some behind the scenes studs, because we always hear that we're turning down all these recruits who want to commit.  Is there truth in those annual claims?  Probably, but I bet it's on a much smaller scale than suggested.

Regardless, Recruiting is looking good right now, no doubt.

Specific rank really doesn't matter, being in a range does.  If stars were all it took Mack Brown would still be coaching in Austin.

Feeding the need is what gets you where you want to go.  Positions, character, ability to stay in school and thus on the depth chart and and being able to grow into a star.
Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

Tim Harris

Quote from: redeye on December 11, 2014, 10:13:13 pm

Collins was only a new name to Arkansas fans.  Bielema and Partridge had been recruiting the kid for years before they came here.

trashcan maN

Quote from: alwaysnextyear on December 12, 2014, 07:21:37 am
Cue secret visitor talk
We're heavy on a couple of unnamed Running Backs.

...Just putting it out there ;)

Razinhail

Quote from: Mike_e on December 12, 2014, 07:32:52 am
Specific rank really doesn't matter, being in a range does.  If stars were all it took Mack Brown would still be coaching in Austin.

Feeding the need is what gets you where you want to go.  Positions, character, ability to stay in school and thus on the depth chart and and being able to grow into a star.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this post. The last two classes we've seen this staff take a couple of chances on some guys who they knew might not be there in the end (Pruitt, Marshall, etc) because the numbers simply weren't there. It takes time to build relationships and now they have the opportunity to take 25 guys who they feel will best serve the program for the long term. If there are questions about character or grades, those guys can be eliminated, but the point is, they now have options where they haven't in the past.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

ldfergu

That would be awesome, I'm just not sure it'll happen

Music City Hog

Quote from: lefty08 on December 12, 2014, 06:23:07 am
I can't use my class calculater on my phone, but this is hard to believe. We are getting penalized right now for not having 20 committed, so adding 3 guys should give us a bump. Are you saying we as so far behind 19 we don't move at all? Doesn't sound right

Currently Oregon is #19 with 225.32 points.  Arkansas is #20 with 212.44 points

If we add Merrick, Haughton, and Redwine then we have 225.10 points, still #20 behind Oregon.

So yes, adding those three doesn't move us up a single spot in 247 rankings.

And again, I feel like I have to make this disclaimer.  I love this class regardless of where it's ranked, but it will not be ranked in the top 15.

Music City Hog

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on December 12, 2014, 07:54:14 am
That would be awesome, I'm just not sure it'll happen

Would be very awesome.

trashcan maN

Quote from: Music City Hog on December 12, 2014, 08:01:23 am
Currently Oregon is #19 with 225.32 points.  Arkansas is #20 with 212.44 points

If we add Merrick, Haughton, and Redwine then we have 225.10 points, still #20 behind Oregon.

So yes, adding those three doesn't move us up a single spot in 247 rankings.

And again, I feel like I have to make this disclaimer.  I love this class regardless of where it's ranked, but it will not be ranked in the top 15.
I'm pretty sure Rivals takes the top X number of recruits in a team's class and their class is ranked based off of those numbers, so if new commits don't break into the top 15 or so in your class, they don't move your needle. I'm not sure how 247 does it.

lefty08

Quote from: trashcan maN on December 12, 2014, 08:50:47 am
I'm pretty sure Rivals takes the top X number of recruits in a team's class and their class is ranked based off of those numbers, so if new commits don't break into the top 15 or so in your class, they don't move your needle. I'm not sure how 247 does it.

I think it's standard to take best 20
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: redeye on December 11, 2014, 09:46:04 pm
Is all this recent negativity due to Barnett, alone?

No... It's always rampant this time of year.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

moto625

Jim Harris

Quote from: Scott7703 on December 11, 2014, 09:28:27 pm
Most of our recruiting guys are predicting a strong finish. We have the makings of a top 15 class with a quality finish.

Have they ever NOT predicted a strong finish? Even in 2000, which was Houston Nutt's worst recruiting class in his 10 years here. Beat Texas in the Cotton Bowl, was going to be a great finish, and it was nothing but a fizzling firecracker dud.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Scott7703

Quote from: Jim Harris on December 12, 2014, 12:59:16 pm
Have they ever NOT predicted a strong finish? Even in 2000, which was Houston Nutt's worst recruiting class in his 10 years here. Beat Texas in the Cotton Bowl, was going to be a great finish, and it was nothing but a fizzling firecracker dud.

There is always talk of a strong finish but this year seems different to me. We may not sign anyone else that ever contributes but again the talk is different this time around.

scruf

From top to bottom this could be the best signing class ever at Arkansas. I don't see one single "reach" among the current commits. This class might have the most mid-term guys as well. If you want consistent "Top 15" recruiting finishes then follow a different team - it's not happening at Arkansas.

The Razorbacks have a small recruiting base and will always have to rely on player development and stronger than average in-state hauls to be competitive. A strong walk-on and redshirt program will always be critical in providing quality depth. Not every HS senior will be completely physically mature at age 18. The Hogs must continue to find and develop those kids along with finding talented kids who are ready to play sooner than later.

AugustaHog

Screw the rankings, if we're 20th or 12th this has the makings of a really good class.  If we finish with guys like redwine, merrick, and haughton, it will be one hell of a class. 

pfrg999

Need a few more players but this is a Solid Top 20(ish) class... Need to fill a few holes but I am sure the dudes making the big bucks will get a few more players to round out this class... I would like to get one of those 5 star flips.. But... We need depth as well... 
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

Pig in the Pokey

16 right now on scout. Or were 3 days ago at least. You are using a site that doesn't count all our recruits. Sounds like an agenda.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

18th on Scout but there are 7 teams ahead of us with just more commits but with lower star averages. We finish strong, we'll be top 15 on scout.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Razinhail

I think we finish with 2 OL- either Merrick & Howell or someone we're not privy to know at this point, 1 RB or WR depending on JWill's decision to stay or go pro, 1 DL- probably T.J. Smith, 2 LBs- a lot of names here beginning with Gustin, a CB- Redwine, Dinson, or Dalton & a S- hopefully Haughton.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

redeye

Quote from: Tim Harris on December 12, 2014, 07:33:06 am
Collins was only a new name to Arkansas fans.  Bielema and Partridge had been recruiting the kid for years before they came here.

True, but I kind of think that's the point.  There may be players we're not familiar with right now, too.

Jim Harris

Quote from: Scott7703 on December 12, 2014, 02:24:18 pm
There is always talk of a strong finish but this year seems different to me. We may not sign anyone else that ever contributes but again the talk is different this time around.

you're right, and finishing 6-6 and making a bowl this year, instead of 4-8 or 0-8 in the league again, has been a big plus. Guy I always trusted about recruiting said it never fails that a program's class is only as good as the last five guys signed. If you're just giving away scholarships at that point (which we tended to do with past coaches), it's not a good class as it should have been. Bielema's last five or so in each of his classes, I think, have been good gets, give or take one player at the most (maybe one not making it academically like last year).
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Jim Harris on December 15, 2014, 01:38:48 pm
you're right, and finishing 6-6 and making a bowl this year, instead of 4-8 or 0-8 in the league again, has been a big plus. Guy I always trusted about recruiting said it never fails that a program's class is only as good as the last five guys signed. If you're just giving away scholarships at that point (which we tended to do with past coaches), it's not a good class as it should have been. Bielema's last five or so in each of his classes, I think, have been good gets, give or take one player at the most (maybe one not making it academically like last year).
exactly. Haughton, Mbanasor, Weathersby, Merrick, and Gustin, please. Plug those 5 in the ole class calculator and tell me we aren't right there around #15, MCH.
@Slackaveli

LJHOG

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 15, 2014, 06:24:19 pm
exactly. Haughton, Mbanasor, Weathersby, Merrick, and Gustin, please. Plug those 5 in the ole class calculator and tell me we aren't right there around #15, MCH.

two down

wachhog

The title of this thread must be a joke.  Wasn't that long ago some of you guys had the Hogs finishing in the top five.   We have not done badly, but when you set such unrealistic expectations...and post such hyperbole...
Happy holidays, team.  You did great!

Music City Hog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 13, 2014, 05:10:00 pm
18th on Scout but there are 7 teams ahead of us with just more commits but with lower star averages. We finish strong, we'll be top 15 on scout.

Was this a serious post?   Is scout even a thing anymore?   And 247 doesn't count all our commits? That's incorrect.   I have no agenda, I was simply stating a fact. 

This is a great class but it has 0% chance of being ranked in the top 15.