Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

More on last week's visit with Gustin and his parents

Started by The Recruiting Guy, December 11, 2014, 10:53:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

greenie

ldfergu

What position does he project to and what's the probability he'd receive playing time his freshman year?

forrest city joe

Quote from: greenie on December 11, 2014, 11:12:10 am
We've gotta get that visit!
Why is it so hard to even get a visit from him? this late in the game if a guy still does not know that he wants to visit. the chances does not look good. at best this is a longshot.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on December 11, 2014, 11:20:16 am
What position does he project to and what's the probability he'd receive playing time his freshman year?
DE most likely.  I'd like to see him get a shot at MLB before we move him though.

And I imagine.  He's a pure beast.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Bad News Boar

My only worry with Gustin is, did we get in on him too late? If you give Coach B and that staff 2 years at this guy, I think we would've had a strong shot. Let's not forget where our focus is on this recruit right now. We aren't hoping he commits to Arkansas... We are just hoping for a visit. Don't allow yourself to get too caught up on this one. Long-shot. But who am I kidding Hogvillians, we love to get all caught up in "it".

Continue on as normal.
Some of the greatest poetry is revealing to the reader the beauty in something that was so simple you had taken it for granted.

AugustaHog

I think the great thing is that there is interest here.  He has obviously grown up in Pac12 country so there is obvious familiarity with schools like USC, ASU, and Oregon.  Notre Dame is a national brand and that draw is pretty apparent.  A kid in Utah doesn't typically grow up dreaming of becoming a Hog.  There has to be a sell here and that's what CBB and staff are doing.  If they didn't get a vibe that we had a shot, they wouldn't be travelling across the country over and over.  Is it a long shot, probably.  If we get PG and both parents to Fayetteville, we can really show them what this is about.  You can't tell me that a guy like Brian Kelly is going to give off the same vibe of caring about his kids that CBB does.  We have that factor going for us.  Our facilities are as good or better than anyone he's looking at save possibly Oregon.  We can do this but it is going to take some luck and certainly wowing this guy.

Hoggish1

Quote from: forrest city joe on December 11, 2014, 11:20:40 am
Why is it so hard to even get a visit from him? this late in the game if a guy still does not know that he wants to visit. the chances does not look good. at best this is a longshot.

IF you read the piece, it said he was deciding for the last two visits between several great programs.  I like that he's being that particular about which schools get what.  He's not just trying to get a trip out of it, he's trying to decide what school he wants to live at for the next three+ years.

It's refreshing that he's that way and not just wanting to "have fun."

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Hawgzinbowlz

...scholarship offers from ARKANSAS Oregon, Notre Dame, Southern Cal, Ohio State, Arizona State and Florida State. We're lucky to be under consideration.
Being late to the party, and these are a lot of good dance partners. Hope there's room on the dance card.
If CBB/Coach Smith pull this off...hats off.

" GO HOGS "

gmarv

I want this kid to be a hog,hoping we can snag one of the visits if we can do that then our chances go up not down.

Pig in the Pokey

My #1 target in this class. My #2 is Jalin. I thought Jalin was in the bag and Gustin was a long shot. Man, getting Gustin would be an instant cure to the Barnett-blues.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

redeye

Quote from: AugustaHog on December 11, 2014, 12:10:31 pm
I think the great thing is that there is interest here.  He has obviously grown up in Pac12 country so there is obvious familiarity with schools like USC, ASU, and Oregon.  Notre Dame is a national brand and that draw is pretty apparent.  A kid in Utah doesn't typically grow up dreaming of becoming a Hog.  There has to be a sell here and that's what CBB and staff are doing.  If they didn't get a vibe that we had a shot, they wouldn't be travelling across the country over and over.  Is it a long shot, probably.  If we get PG and both parents to Fayetteville, we can really show them what this is about.  You can't tell me that a guy like Brian Kelly is going to give off the same vibe of caring about his kids that CBB does.  We have that factor going for us.  Our facilities are as good or better than anyone he's looking at save possibly Oregon.  We can do this but it is going to take some luck and certainly wowing this guy.

Yea, that was my take also.  While it's still a longshot, Gustin's father shot down any idea that the visit was simply a favor to Chaney.  I never like to think we have no chance, but now think we may have a legitimate, albeit small, chance with Gustin.

We also should keep in mind that while players out West may have little interest in Arkansas, they may have real interest in our coach from his Big Ten days.  The Big Ten and Pac-12 have long been connected at the hip and I'm sure many players out West follow the Big Ten closely.

HogMantheIntruder

I think his religious views play into our favor.  The fact that he is considering going on a mission trip instead of playing football right out of high school tells me that he has a TON of character.  CBB is as much a developer of quality football players as he is of quality young men. I've said before that Arkansas needs an edge in recruiting due to our lack of home grown talent, and I think CBB's character, reputation, and the relationships he builds with parents can be that edge that sets us apart.  I think we've got a shot.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Jek Tono Porkins

Get him on a visit and anything can happen.

Even if we whiff on some recruits, the fact that Arkansas is even able to get a foot in the door with highly-rated recruits is promising...particularly after 3-9 and 6-6 seasons. Look at the other schools in play for the last two visits for this guy:
Ohio State- College Football Playoff team
Oregon- College Football Playoff team
LSU- Still a fantastic program
Florida State- College Football Playoff team, defending national champion

Coach B ain't scurred.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung