Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bball Recruitng

Started by bbbarthelemy, December 06, 2014, 03:37:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bbbarthelemy

Seems that CMA is putting all his eggs in the Kapita basket. Are we on anyone else? If we strike out with Kapita is there a Plan C (We already missed on Dime)? Also, how many will we sign in this class? 2?

CDBHawg

Will sign at least two. Possibly as many as four.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Dime is out.

I'm not sure he has all his eggs in the Kapita basket. There just aren't a lot of options out there as good a Kapita

Razorod

I'm also curious as to how the recruiting will play out in the spring.

There is always the coaching carousel and Anderson has taken a transfer three straight years (Alandise Harris, Keaton Miles and Dusty Hannahs). Anderson runs an unconventional system, follows that recruiting will also be a bit unconventional--combination of HS, JC and transfers).
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

The_Bionic_Pig

Kapita has the comitt-able offer but He is not the only one being persued.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

CDBHawg

Whitt, Kapita, Allen, & call it a day.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: CDBHawg on December 06, 2014, 06:30:35 pm

That would be a hell of a class. 

acepoker

Hawg Red

Quote from: CDBHawg on December 06, 2014, 06:30:35 pm

Not gonna happen with Allen. He won't be a Hog.

mbgrulz

Quote from: Hawg Red on December 07, 2014, 01:55:20 am
What's the story? You got any insight?

jry04

Quote from: Hawg Red on December 07, 2014, 01:55:20 am
Maybe not, but KJ coming, Beard being here, Florida struggling, and him not signing with UF yet are all good signs that we have a shot.

Hawg Red

Quote from: jry04 on December 07, 2014, 09:18:41 am
Maybe not, but KJ coming, Beard being here, Florida struggling, and him not signing with UF yet are all good signs that we have a shot.

Have to be wanted to have a shot.

Hawg Red

Quote from: mbgrulz on December 07, 2014, 09:18:17 am
What's the story? You got any insight?

Don't think the coaches are interested. Happy with Whitt and the current guards.

mbgrulz

Hmm...That's kind of what it looks like. Need to wait and see though. Long time till April's signing day. Mike may not want to come running back to him after he spurned us the first time. There is a bit of a log jam at guard right now.

Atlhogfan1

Razorod is right.  Don't leave out the possibility of JC recruits with the small So class likely getting smaller with Portis' exit and Mike's m.o. to beat the JC bushes.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: mbgrulz on December 07, 2014, 12:08:44 pm
Hmm...That's kind of what it looks like. Need to wait and see though. Long time till April's signing day. Mike may not want to come running back to him after he spurned us the first time. There is a bit of a log jam at guard right now.

It's very possible Anderson was never really that interested to begin with. And it might have nothing to do with Allen's ability as a basketball player.

mbgrulz

Quote from: Hawg Red on December 07, 2014, 12:18:20 pm
It's very possible Anderson was never really that interested to begin with. And it might have nothing to do with Allen's ability as a basketball player.
True...lots of things that are unknown to outsiders. Sometimes it's not just as simple as he's good...we should get him. He may have promised Whitt that he's be the only guard he'd sign this year for all we know.

Scott7703

Lol, if Kevaughn Allen wants to be a hog he will be.

-Blu

I've heard different things from different people about Allen, including the Arkansas recruiting guys.  At this point if I had to use my own judgement, I would think it's more likely he's not going to be a Hog, just because of how many guards we already have, and it seems there has always been a "disconnect" in his recruiting between him and the staff.  I could be completely off on that, there are some guys I trust that have said we have a legit shot at him, but it's hard for me to see him coming here. 

Also, something I haven't seen anyone mention yet, is K.J. Hill has stated that's he's talked to CMA about playing basketball, and it's a pretty good chance he'll play both sports.  Now, I don't think he'll actually play important minutes, but I think he's a guy that could help provide even more depth.  Looking at the guards next year....

Beard/Durham/Hill
Bell/Whitt/Hannahs
Qualls/Babb/Watkins

Dominicanhog

Quote from: -Blu on December 07, 2014, 02:46:12 pm
I've heard different things from different people about Allen, including the Arkansas recruiting guys.  At this point if I had to use my own judgement, I would think it's more likely he's not going to be a Hog, just because of how many guards we already have, and it seems there has always been a "disconnect" in his recruiting between him and the staff.  I could be completely off on that, there are some guys I trust that have said we have a legit shot at him, but it's hard for me to see him coming here. 

Also, something I haven't seen anyone mention yet, is K.J. Hill has stated that's he's talked to CMA about playing basketball, and it's a pretty good chance he'll play both sports.  Now, I don't think he'll actually play important minutes, but I think he's a guy that could help provide even more depth.  Looking at the guards next year....

Beard/Durham/Hill
Bell/Whitt/Hannahs
Qualls/Babb/Watkins

I think we are in real need of some guards... one that control the game and distribute and a couple that can shoot... this team is missing that ingredient sorely.

They also, need to play defense, another thing our current group lacks.

Atlhogfan1

I want KJ Hill in the football offseason program. 

But if it got him here and he was promised the chance, we have no choice but to let him play both. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Hawg Red on December 07, 2014, 09:50:23 am
Don't think the coaches are interested. Happy with Whitt and the current guards.
I am not happy with our current guards so I hope MA is not happy.

songofthesword

i've played against KJ on the Bball court. he won't touch the floor. not skilled enough.

The_Iceman

Texas a&m has 3 of their future players playing right now on ESPN2.

-Blu

Quote from: songofthesword on December 07, 2014, 07:58:42 pm
i've played against KJ on the Bball court. he won't touch the floor. not skilled enough.

Well, I wouldn't say KJ isn't skilled enough, I think if he was a full time B-Ball player he'd be like a mid-tier 3-star, he can ball.  I will agree that I don't think he will touch the floor in any significant minutes for us, but as ATL said, we really can't go back on our word, I know that was one of of the things he was talking about when he committed.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Razorod on December 06, 2014, 04:35:03 pm
I'm also curious as to how the recruiting will play out in the spring.

There is always the coaching carousel and Anderson has taken a transfer three straight years (Alandise Harris, Keaton Miles and Dusty Hannahs). Anderson runs an unconventional system, follows that recruiting will also be a bit unconventional--combination of HS, JC and transfers).

How well has Mikes transfers worked out?   Harris is ok,  Miles hasn't worked out
Quote from: Hawg Red on December 07, 2014, 09:50:23 am

R u happy with our current Guards?  Any super stars there?

nwahogfan1

Quote from: -Blu on December 07, 2014, 02:46:12 pm

Beard/Durham/Hill
Bell/Whitt/Hannahs
Qualls/Babb/Watkins

How many super stars there?  Any 1st or 2nd round NBA signees?  I am afraid we have a bunch of just OK guards.  I am hoping Whitt can deliver.  He looks great on film.  Jury is still out with Babb.  I hope he gets more playing time.

FATHAWG08

The Allen recruiting  reminds me of the same situation as when CMA was at Missouri with BJ Young.
I love off season Football!!

The_Iceman

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on December 09, 2014, 05:58:24 pm
How many super stars there?  Any 1st or 2nd round NBA signees?  I am afraid we have a bunch of just OK guards.  I am hoping Whitt can deliver.  He looks great on film.  Jury is still out with Babb.  I hope he gets more playing time.

I would say so far in 2014, Whitt looks more impressive than Allen. Whitt is dominating.

Hawg Red

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on December 09, 2014, 05:54:03 pm
R u happy with our current Guards?  Any super stars there?

It's too early to make a definitive decision there, but I think I've seen enough to say that I will be happy with them once they've developed and gotten some seasoning. I think Beard will continue to get better throughout the season. I think Babb has a ton of potential but hasn't gotten a lot of minutes so far. Whitt excites me.

But I'm also not the coach of the team and my opinion here really doesn't matter. But that thought is floating out there, that Anderson is happy with what he has on campus and signed to play.

Soooie21

Portis leaving after this year, he doesn't even look close to being NBA ready.....

-Blu

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on December 09, 2014, 05:58:24 pm

I didn't know Kevaughn was a superstar.  I thought the superstars were the McDonald's All-Americans.  And if your going by rankings Whitt is a better prospect that Kevaughn is.  Also, Beard has shown that he's going to be a very solid guard for us, Babb has shown flashes, and the sky is the limit for him, 6'5 athletic, defensive stopper, and can shoot the ball.  If Qualls stays, both he and Bell will be valuable seniors, and Qualls will definitely have a shot at making an NBA roster.

And I think your misunderstanding what I'm saying.  Just looking at the situation, we have a lot of quality guards on our roster for next year, it would make sense for our Staff to focus more on a big man than another guard.  If your the staff do you continue to recruit Kevaughn and make room for him if he wants to come?  You sure do.  But, with what we have coming back, and with Whitt coming to campus, you really don't stress about him.

TMc

Quote from: Hawg Red on December 07, 2014, 09:49:52 am
Have to be wanted to have a shot.

Well there is this side of it.., and the Arkansas side is they won't pursue him until he officially decommits from Florida- which he has yet to do. I don't know what the deal is with Allen.  I know they need him.

immahog

Quote from: Soooie21 on December 09, 2014, 06:49:43 pm
Portis leaving after this year, he doesn't even look close to being NBA ready.....

what ??? BP is gone
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

Hawg Red

Quote from: TMc on December 10, 2014, 05:13:59 am
Well there is this side of it.., and the Arkansas side is they won't pursue him until he officially decommits from Florida- which he has yet to do. I don't know what the deal is with Allen.  I know they need him.

If that's what you want to believe. I get the feeling any pursuit of Allen has been for public appearances more than anything since he's a highly rated in-state player. They've preferred their man Whitt all along and got him. I wouldn't expect much to change if Kevaughn officially decommitted.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Hawg Red on December 10, 2014, 09:10:02 am
If that's what you want to believe. I get the feeling any pursuit of Allen has been for public appearances more than anything since he's a highly rated in-state player. They've preferred their man Whitt all along and got him. I wouldn't expect much to change if Kevaughn officially decommitted.

agree.. not sure if it's attitude or something else, but imo, Mike was never that interested.

mbgrulz

Just on the fact that he's a 4 star guard in our backyard, I'd love to have him in a hog jersey, but there is more to this story from the looks of it.

I'd like to get Jaylen Fisher, who we have offered, but I have no idea of our chances. He fits a need better than Allen. CMA and staff keep it so close to the vest that its hard to know whats really going on. There was a time when people on here swore that it would be really tough for us to get Whitt, so who knows.

TMc

Quote from: Hawg Red on December 10, 2014, 09:10:02 am

You very well may be right.., I'm just passing along what I've read and heard.  I certainly have no clue about it. I hope Mike knows what he's doing.., or he won't be doing it here for very much longer here.  I like Mike Anderson, good man.., good coach- not a great coach, but good.  The thing that concerns me about he and his staff has always been recruiting.  I'm just not sure.