Wildhog

Quote from: WooPig90 on November 26, 2014, 12:16:36 pm
I can see us going hard after him if we dont get either of Merrick/Barnett
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Uncommon

Quote from: WooPig90 on November 26, 2014, 12:16:36 pm
I can see us going hard after him if we dont get either of Merrick/Barnett
Yeah.  I think we're going to try and land Jalin Barnett, Tyler Howell, and Jalen Merrick and call it a day for 2015 OL.

redeye

Bielema tweeted this yesterday:

QuoteBret Bielema @BretBielema  ·  16h 16 hours ago
Finished practice and have talked to prospects and parents in New Smyrna Beach and Titusville Florida, Indianapolis, and of course Arkansas!

New Smyrna Beach would be Merrick and Indianapolis is probably Kirkland.  Anyone have an idea who the "prospect" is in Titusville, FL?

Peter Porker

Quote from: Uncommon on November 26, 2014, 12:21:20 pm
Yeah.  I think we're going to try and land Jalin Barnett, Tyler Howell, and Jalen Merrick and call it a day for 2015 OL.

Howell won't end up here.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Peter Porker

Quote from: redeye on November 26, 2014, 12:34:13 pm
Bielema tweeted this yesterday:

New Smyrna Beach would be Merrick and Indianapolis is probably Kirkland.  Anyone have an idea who the "prospect" is in Titusville, FL?

I found a safety.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1876738/james-lowder

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

redeye

Quote from: Peter Porker on November 26, 2014, 12:43:10 pm
I found a safety.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1876738/james-lowder

While that seems like a possibility, I'm expecting a bigger name.  Unless they think he's a hidden gem, our options are allegedly improving, so I'm not sure he'd fit the profile for a new 2015 recruit.

hawgwash

Quote from: redeye on November 26, 2014, 01:06:50 pm
While that seems like a possibility, I'm expecting a bigger name.  Unless they think he's a hidden gem, our options are allegedly improving, so I'm not sure he'd fit the profile for a new 2015 recruit.
I think RD mentioned there are several highly regarded juniors in Titusville.

redeye

Quote from: hawgwash on November 26, 2014, 01:18:41 pm

I guess I missed that.

Thanks!

Peter Porker

Quote from: hawgwash on November 26, 2014, 01:18:41 pm

Coaches can talk to juniors?

TMc

Quote from: Uncommon on November 26, 2014, 12:21:20 pm

I don't think they will take all 3 even if they could. I kind of think they like Merrick and Barnett for sure.  I really don't know the plans for Howell.., if he's a must get - or plan B.

WooPig90

Quote from: TMc on November 26, 2014, 03:41:41 pm
I don't think they will take all 3 even if they could. I kind of think they like Merrick and Barnett for sure.  I really don't know the plans for Howell.., if he's a must get - or plan B.

Yeah we have more needs, dont think we would use 5 spots on OL this year.

hawgwash

Quote from: Peter Porker on November 26, 2014, 01:56:46 pm
I don't know the ins and outs of the rules, but I think there was a comment on RD's site in response to a question from a reader.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Is he allowed to talk to juniors parents? The tweet said something about talking to kids and parents. Maybe he's calling momma and getting a head start on recruiting her

Uncommon

Quote from: WooPig90 on November 26, 2014, 03:47:19 pm
Here are the 20 seniors by position:
9 Offense
1 FB Patrick Arinze
1 WR Demetrius Wilson
1 TE AJ Derby
6 OL Luke Charpentier Brey Cook Adam Deacon Cameron Jefferson Johnathan McClure Chris Stringer

8 Defense
1 DL Trey Flowers
4 LB Daunte Carr Tiquention Coleman Braylon Mitchell Martrell Spaight
3 DB Tevin Mitchel Alan Turner Carroll Washington

3 Special Teams
1 K John Henson
1 P Sam Irwin-Hill
1 LS Allan D'Appollonio

As you can see, we have a lot of numbers leaving on the offensive line.  We probably will have to sign 5 this year so we can have 3 strings.  Plus next year, 4 offensive lineman are leaving after next season (Austin Beck, Marcus Danenhauer, Mitch Smothers, and Sebastian Tretola).  That's a lot of offensive linemen to replace in two seasons.  I could absolutely see them taking 5 this year.  Which would leave the last 5 spots for defensive players.  Most likely, 1 more DL, 1-2 more LBs, and 2-3 DBs.

Better to have depth up front than at the skill spots.  A good OL with solid depth is a must in this league.

JackJohnson

Quote from: Uncommon on November 26, 2014, 10:36:24 pm
9 Offense
1 FB Patrick Arinze
1 WR Demetrius Wilson
1 TE AJ Derby
6 OL Luke Charpentier Brey Cook Adam Deacon Cameron Jefferson Johnathan McClure Chris Stringer

8 Defense
1 DL Trey Flowers

3 Special Teams
1 K John Henson
1 P Sam Irwin-Hill
1 LS Allan D'Appollonio

As you can see, we have a lot of numbers leaving on the offensive line.  We probably will have to sign 5 this year so we can have 3 strings.  Plus next year, 4 offensive lineman are leaving after next season (Austin Beck, Marcus Danenhauer, Mitch Smothers, and Sebastian Tretola).  That's a lot of offensive linemen to replace in two seasons.  I could absolutely see them taking 5 this year.  Which would leave the last 5 spots for defensive players.  Most likely, 1 more DL, 1-2 more LBs, and 2-3 DBs.

Better to have depth up front than at the skill spots.  A good OL with solid depth is a must in this league.

We absolutely need to take as many big time OL...and ESP OT as we can get.  We only signed 5 HS OL the past two years which is about half of what is needed.  Need to make sure we sign 4-5 HS OL a year and get the redshirt program going in order to play the way we want and be able to finish teams off in the 4th Q

ARtillahog

Quote from: JackJohnson on November 27, 2014, 08:13:54 am
We absolutely need to take as many big time OL...and ESP OT as we can get.  We only signed 5 HS OL the past two years which is about half of what is needed.  Need to make sure we sign 4-5 HS OL a year and get the redshirt program going in order to play the way we want and be able to finish teams off in the 4th Q
Quote from: WooPig90 on November 26, 2014, 03:47:19 pm
CBB has said before that great O-line can make a 2* skill player look great, but a 5* skill player does not make a O-line great.

scorekeeper

Quote from: Uncommon on November 26, 2014, 10:36:24 pm
9 Offense
1 FB Patrick Arinze
1 WR Demetrius Wilson
1 TE AJ Derby

8 Defense
1 DL Trey Flowers

3 Special Teams
1 K John Henson
1 P Sam Irwin-Hill
1 LS Allan D'Appollonio

Good breakdown!
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

Broadway Rob

Quote from: Peter Porker on November 26, 2014, 01:56:46 pm

Seriously?  LSU offerred an 8th grader.
Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

NLRHog92

I wonder if we've inquired about him since his decommitment and especially now since the update on Barnett.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: NLRHog92 on December 10, 2014, 10:47:30 am
I wonder if we've inquired about him since his decommitment and especially now since the update on Barnett.

But,but we told Barnett we didnt have room/need for him so that cant be true

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: ARtillahog on November 27, 2014, 08:45:40 am
CBB has said before that great O-line can make a 2* skill player look great, but a 5* skill player does not make a O-line great.

So true. Aggies and Auburns offenses looked a lot better when they had great olines.

Now they have fallen back to the pack

ARtillahog

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on December 10, 2014, 10:49:54 am
But,but we told Barnett we didnt have room/need for him so that cant be true

It will be nice to see what the actual reason on Barnett is after NSD.  Especially if other guard-esque players are actively being recruited.

outlawhogeywells

doesn't Geron's 24/7 profile now show that he has committed to L'ville

Oklahawg

We need OT, and numbers are scarce.

We are in on a lot of long-term defensive recruits and need to maximize any offensive slots that we can.

Barnett appears to be "let go" (who really knows the true story) because, despite his ability, we need players who are natural OT. We won't chase OL who aren't capable of fitting that description.

Cannot lose a valuable slot for defense or other positions just to grab someone HV loves. Hey, I love this kid and find him quite talented. But, we've had a good OG already signed, sealed and delivered, and able to be on campus in January getting ready to contribute.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra