Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Josh Allen released by UNC...

Started by The_Boot_stops_here, August 19, 2014, 10:11:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

redeye

August 20, 2014, 06:40:15 pm #50 Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 08:56:52 pm by redeye
Quote from: Wildhog on August 20, 2014, 11:25:29 am
As high as my hopes are for Williams, Allen is a much more highly regarded prospect.  There are teams that have room.  I do have faith in Pittman, though.

I think we'll find that Williams should have been recruited harder.

Quote from: Music City Hog on August 20, 2014, 08:16:41 am
Good news.  I like the OL being built.

Good news, indeed!

wachhog

Quote from: FaytownHog on August 20, 2014, 02:05:25 pm
Grades? Are UNC's standards higher than SEC standards?
After the scandal, ugh, yeah.

Prior to the scandal, they didn't even have to know how to read or find their way to class. A departed department chairman of phantom studies saw to that.

alwaysnextyear

Quote from: Hogpkins on August 20, 2014, 06:33:18 pm
Schiano said on Bo's show that spread offenses are at a disadvantage recruiting OL. Obviously that's a generalization, but it helps explain why we've recruited OL so surprisingly well.
Well, all the top OL draft picks seem to come from spread offenses. The NFL doesn't care what system you come from anymore. Players make plays.

LAGNAF

Quote from: alwaysnextyear on August 20, 2014, 07:23:29 pm
Well, all the top OL draft picks seem to come from spread offenses. The NFL doesn't care what system you come from anymore. Players make plays.

I counted 22 OL picks in the first three rounds of the latest draft not counting tight ends and by my count it was 17 non spread and 5 spread OL drafted. I could certainly be off by a couple but I'd say that all the top OL don't come from spread teams.

redeye

Quote from: LAGNAF on August 20, 2014, 08:01:09 pm
I counted 22 OL picks in the first three rounds of the latest draft not counting tight ends and by my count it was 17 non spread and 5 spread OL drafted. I could certainly be off by a couple but I'd say that all the top OL don't come from spread teams.

Isn't that because spread offenses require faster, lighter OL players?  It seems like the better OL players always wanna play in a pro-style offense.

This is good for Arkansas, because if everyone's going to the spread, that means we should have better luck signing top OL players and that gives us a chance to excel by doing something different.

alwaysnextyear

Greg Robinson, Joeckel, Matthews, OT from ND etc

31to6

Quote from: alwaysnextyear on August 20, 2014, 09:26:13 pm
Greg Robinson, Joeckel, Matthews, OT from ND etc
All of those but Robinson were recruited when those schools were running pro-style offenses.

stacking

we've already had one BIG NASTY now we are gettin the BIG NASTIES!

alwaysnextyear

Quote from: 31to6 on August 20, 2014, 09:28:55 pm
All of those but Robinson were recruited when those schools were running pro-style offenses.
So you call what Sherman ran at aTm a pro style?

intelligence

Quote from: alwaysnextyear on August 21, 2014, 05:21:31 am
So you call what Sherman ran at aTm a pro style?
Now you're splitting hairs

hogville38

Nipsey Mussle

Any update on our chances with him?

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: BBsTheMan on August 21, 2014, 01:44:36 pm
Any update on our chances with him?

I'm sure we won't hear anything until January since we can't put him on scholarship until then, but I bet he's ours.

CaseyHawgDog

Could he not obtain a scholarship at mid term for our 5th year senior kicker will be done?
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."<br />- John Wayne

ricepig

Quote from: CaseyHawgDog on August 21, 2014, 06:41:30 pm
Could he not obtain a scholarship at mid term for our 5th year senior kicker will be done?

He can get a 2015 scholarship at semester, provided he is eligible to enroll.

Oklahawg

Quote from: ricepig on August 21, 2014, 06:43:30 pm
He can get a 2015 scholarship at semester, provided he is eligible to enroll.

He could also enroll and pay his own pay this fall. He could spend a semester at a JUCO getting Gen Ed classes out of the way. He could come to UA and be a part-time student and grayshirt. Lots of options.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ricepig

Quote from: Oklahawg on August 22, 2014, 03:21:33 pm
He could also enroll and pay his own pay this fall. He could spend a semester at a JUCO getting Gen Ed classes out of the way. He could come to UA and be a part-time student and grayshirt. Lots of options.

No doubt, I was just answering the question on near-term as he will have to count against the 2015 class.

Hoggy Bear

trashcan maN

Quote from: FaytownHog on August 20, 2014, 02:05:25 pm
Grades? Are UNC's standards higher than SEC standards?
UNC is a top 30ish university in the country, including ivy league. It's got one of the lowest acceptance rates of any public school at 27.6%.

Pork Twain

Quote from: trashcan maN on August 23, 2014, 08:44:31 am
UNC is a top 30ish university in the country, including ivy league. It's got one of the lowest acceptance rates of any public school at 27.6%.
Many ACC schools are like that
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

JIHawg

It's just a state university like Arkansas. It's not like their students and professors are smarter than ours. Probably statistically insignificant IQ difference.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: JIHawg on August 23, 2014, 05:22:57 pm
It's just a state university like Arkansas. It's not like their students and professors are smarter than ours. Probably statistically insignificant IQ difference.
Link?
I know Uva is a top school as well from the ACC. I haven't seen the numbers, but I bet U of A accepts more than 27%.

Nipsey Mussle

Just looked it up, we are ranked number 149 in the nation. We accept 65% who apply. Those stats make me think our professors and students aren't "just as smart."

ricepig

Quote from: BBsTheMan on August 23, 2014, 05:55:12 pm
Link?
I know Uva is a top school as well from the ACC. I haven't seen the numbers, but I bet U of A accepts more than 27%.

UofA acceptance rate is 63%, early acceptance rate of 79%.
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/university-of-arkansas-1108

carolinahogger

Bubba's Bruisers

UNC
UVA
Mich
Illinois
Texsa
Cal

All examples of elite public universities.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

carolinahogger

Quote from: JIHawg on August 23, 2014, 05:22:57 pm

I doubt that IQ scores for admitted students are available, but the difference in SAT/ACT scores is huge.

VBMark

The middle 50% means those ranked between the 25th percentile and the 75th percentile of those admitted. Halfway between those numbers would be a good guess for an actual median.

UNC ACT composite middle 50% score over last four years 27 to 31. Verbal SAT middle 50% is 590 to 700. SAT math middle 50% is 610 to 710. SAT writing middle 50% is 590 to 690.

UofA ACT composite middle 50% score over last four years 23 to 28. Verbal SAT middle 50% is 500 to 610. SAT math middle 50% is 520 to 630. Average SAT writing is 565, but distribution is not reported.

UofA is definitely lower, but not by HUGE margins. Basically, the top half of the UofA admitted students would also get admitted at UNC fairly easily. It's the bottom 25% at the UofA that would likely not make the cut at UNC. Those in the 25th percentile to 50th percentile at the UofA would likely make the cut at UNC if they had the GPA and other things to go along with it.
John L. Smith is so bad that he will laugh himself off the field

Pork Twain

August 24, 2014, 06:59:14 pm #79 Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 07:51:32 pm by Pork Twain
Quote from: carolinahogger on August 23, 2014, 08:16:41 pm
UNC and UVA, that's it. 
Guess it depends on your definition of "several" and "like".  Be right before you try to tell someone else they are wrong.  The ACC has 5 schools in the top 100 schools with the lowest acceptance rate, SEC has 1. 
http://www.theacc.com/#!/

Duke 13%
Notre Dame 23%
UNC 28%
UVA 30%
BC 32%

Wake Forest 35%

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/lowest-acceptance-rate/spp%2B50/src%2Bstats
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Birminghog

Quote from: Pork Twain on August 24, 2014, 06:59:14 pm
Guess it depends on your definition of "several" and "like".  Be right before you try to tell someone else they are wrong.  The ACC has 5 schools in the top 100 schools with the lowest acceptance rate, SEC has zero. 

Duke 13%
Notre Dame 23%
UNC 28%
UVA 30%
BC 32%

Wake Forest 35%

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/lowest-acceptance-rate/spp%2B50/src%2Bstats

Vanderbilt 14.2%

Pork Twain

Oklahawg

UA and UNC are trying to do different things. While both are flagships for their state, NC has several other high profile universities that compete academically at a high level (Wake Forest, Duke, NCState...ACC likely has a covenant agreement on academics for the schools included). Private vs Public impacts things but they are still competing for the better in-state students.

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

JIHawg

Quote from: VBMark on August 23, 2014, 10:50:31 pm
The middle 50% means those ranked between the 25th percentile and the 75th percentile of those admitted. Halfway between those numbers would be a good guess for an actual median.

UNC ACT composite middle 50% score over last four years 27 to 31. Verbal SAT middle 50% is 590 to 700. SAT math middle 50% is 610 to 710. SAT writing middle 50% is 590 to 690.

UofA ACT composite middle 50% score over last four years 23 to 28. Verbal SAT middle 50% is 500 to 610. SAT math middle 50% is 520 to 630. Average SAT writing is 565, but distribution is not reported.

UofA is definitely lower, but not by HUGE margins. Basically, the top half of the UofA admitted students would also get admitted at UNC fairly easily. It's the bottom 25% at the UofA that would likely not make the cut at UNC. Those in the 25th percentile to 50th percentile at the UofA would likely make the cut at UNC if they had the GPA and other things to go along with it.

Oh man, facts disrupt everything.  Arkansas' top 27% would likely not be statistically any different than NC's 27%.  Arkansas' mission, as the state's flagship university, is to educate a much broader populace.  Very admirable and nothing east-coast phony about it.

carolinahogger

Quote from: Pork Twain on August 24, 2014, 06:59:14 pm
Guess it depends on your definition of "several" and "like".  Be right before you try to tell someone else they are wrong.  The ACC has 5 schools in the top 100 schools with the lowest acceptance rate, SEC has 1. 

Duke 13%
Notre Dame 23%
UNC 28%
UVA 30%
BC 32%

Wake Forest 35%

You responded to a post which referred to public schools.  I responded to your post, with public schools in mind.

I am pretty familiar with North Carolina universities, having lived here for 28 years and having kids who are graduates of Duke and UNC, as well as a 4th year medical student at Wake Forest.  So I didn't just forget about Duke and Wake.  They don't fit into the discussion because they are private schools.

My response was to a post which specifically referred to "state university" schools.  UNC and UVA are public universities, while Duke, Wake Forest, and BC are private.

carolinahogger

Quote from: JIHawg on August 24, 2014, 09:14:03 pm
Oh man, facts disrupt everything.  Arkansas' top 27% would likely not be statistically any different than NC's 27%.  Arkansas' mission, as the state's flagship university, is to educate a much broader populace.  Very admirable and nothing east-coast phony about it.

Listen, I am as big a Razorback fan as anyone but this is ridiculous.  You quote statistics which show very little overlap in the score ranges of the middle 50% of admitted students from the two schools. 

Then you pluck from the air that the top 27% are not likely to be statistically different?  That makes no sense. 

Going by the statistics you quote, the bottom of UA's top 25% has an ACT of 28 and the bottom of UNC's top 25% has an ACT of 31.  That is a big difference.

RAZORHOGG15

Would it be a stretch to think that the amount of people that apply to unc would be a lot higher and would contribute to the amount of rejections being so much different.  Freshman class can only be so big right?  Now back to the op, has anyone heard any news on this boy?
ONE TEAM ONE HEART ONE GOAL

Never make the mistake of confusing kindness for weakness

JIHawg

Quote from: carolinahogger on August 24, 2014, 10:02:55 pm
Listen, I am as big a Razorback fan as anyone but this is ridiculous.  You quote statistics which show very little overlap in the score ranges of the middle 50% of admitted students from the two schools. 

Then you pluck from the air that the top 27% are not likely to be statistically different?  That makes no sense. 

Going by the statistics you quote, the bottom of UA's top 25% has an ACT of 28 and the bottom of UNC's top 25% has an ACT of 31.  That is a big difference.

Bottom line-I don't think people in North Carolina are any smarter than people in Arkansas.  I've been to North Carolina several times, and my impression-they are just like Arkansans.  Our university seeks to educate a broader population base than NC, but if we cut our acceptance at 27% like NC, there would be no difference in the two student bodies.  We simply believe that students in a broad sense can contribute to society with a college degree.  NC doesn't have that mission.  Our mission is much more noble than NC's, IMO.

PorkiePig

Can I say, God Bless America!

Only on Hogville can you have an OP about a potential recruit turn into a discussion of a University's acceptance rate and question IQ/Test score of the students.  I will throw my 2 cents in on this one, if you guys and gals don't mind. 

A smart man would know this: It's not how you start the race, but more importantly how you finish it  ;) :D ;D 8) :P

It really don't matter what a student's test score were prior to admission or what university!  It's more important that he/she gets a degree and what they learn while there.
- Someone that scored 31 on their ACT and drops out b/c they party too much, really don't impress me much.
- Someone that scored 24 on their ACT and graduate with honor is very impressive IMO.
- And there will be some that just drops out no matter what ACT score they have; yet still be successful (I'm sure everyone can fill in the blank here of examples)

With that being said. Since this discussion is a hybrid about football players and ACT scores, I would pick my Razorbacks against any University with a lower acceptance rate, when it comes to the 3 major sports. 

And if you might like to take note: Arkansas students (average lower test scores) and athletes (average lower Star Rating) usually performs on par if not better than expected in life and sports  ;)  So please don't sell our University and it's student short!

Now Let's Call Them Hogs!!!! WPS

Go Big Or Go Home

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: JIHawg on August 24, 2014, 11:44:49 pm
Bottom line-I don't think people in North Carolina are any smarter than people in Arkansas.  I've been to North Carolina several times, and my impression-they are just like Arkansans.  Our university seeks to educate a broader population base than NC, but if we cut our acceptance at 27% like NC, there would be no difference in the two student bodies.  We simply believe that students in a broad sense can contribute to society with a college degree.  NC doesn't have that mission.  Our mission is much more noble than NC's, IMO.
Oh wow, so universities with higher acceptance rates are in actuality just being noble? So i guess junior colleges are the samurais of academia?

You are being a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge homer in this debate, even by HV standards.

Pork Twain

August 25, 2014, 08:40:44 am #90 Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 09:20:30 am by Pork Twain
Quote from: carolinahogger on August 24, 2014, 09:27:12 pm
You responded to a post which referred to public schools.  I responded to your post, with public schools in mind.

I am pretty familiar with North Carolina universities, having lived here for 28 years and having kids who are graduates of Duke and UNC, as well as a 4th year medical student at Wake Forest.  So I didn't just forget about Duke and Wake.  They don't fit into the discussion because they are private schools.

My response was to a post which specifically referred to "state university" schools.  UNC and UVA are public universities, while Duke, Wake Forest, and BC are private.

Then you should not have responded to me, because I was merely addressing ACC schools, as I stated in my post.  Just talking about acceptance rates.  ACC >>>  SEC in that category and that is significant in this thread.  For an average Joe, trying to get into a university, public versus private could matter a great deal.  For a high school athlete, recruited by several schools, the difference is much less and pretty much boils down to acceptance rate.

JIHawg

Quote from: BBsTheMan on August 25, 2014, 01:43:20 am
Oh wow, so universities with higher acceptance rates are in actuality just being noble? So i guess junior colleges are the samurais of academia?

You are being a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge homer in this debate, even by HV standards.

So you would argue that people in North Carolina are smarter than people in Arkansas?  Sounds like a "we poor Arkansas" mentality that needs updating.

Pork Twain

Quote from: JIHawg on August 25, 2014, 09:16:16 am
So you would argue that people in North Carolina are smarter than people in Arkansas?  Sounds like a "we poor Arkansas" mentality that needs updating.
I am not sure how you got that from his post.

carolinahogger

Quote from: JIHawg on August 25, 2014, 09:16:16 am

Nonsequitur.

I don't see how you can possibly link his post to this.  Nobody in this thread has expressed or implied that citizens of NC are smarter than citizens of Arkansas.

SA Hog Fan

This is to some degree a numbers issue. The UA and UNC have roughly the same enrollment, 25-30k. But the population of NC is 3x that of Arkansas. UNC has a MUCH larger population base to draw from. While the kids may or may not be any smarter, there are just more of them in NC. Therefore, your student body at UNC is made up of more upper quartile kids. NC has many more quality universities for the middle and lower quartile kids to go to, while maintaining UNC as the "flagship". I would bet that if UA decreased enrollment to 10k the demographics would be similar.  Sorry for the interruption.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: SA Hog Fan on August 26, 2014, 01:18:54 pm
This is to some degree a numbers issue. The UA and UNC have roughly the same enrollment, 25-30k. But the population of NC is 3x that of Arkansas. UNC has a MUCH larger population base to draw from. While the kids may or may not be any smarter, there are just more of them in NC. Therefore, your student body at UNC is made up of more upper quartile kids. NC has many more quality universities for the middle and lower quartile kids to go to, while maintaining UNC as the "flagship". I would bet that if UA decreased enrollment to 10k the demographics would be similar.  Sorry for the interruption.
The number of big schools in NC negates any talk of population, in my opinion. UNC simply has higher admission standards than U of A. Is it surprising some on an Arkansas message board are having trouble accepting that? Of course not. The justifications of population and even nobility (lol!) are understandable for that reason.

SA Hog Fan

Quote from: BBsTheMan on August 26, 2014, 02:49:31 pm
The number of big schools in NC negates any talk of population, in my opinion. UNC simply has higher admission standards than U of A. Is it surprising some on an Arkansas message board are having trouble accepting that? Of course not. The justifications of population and even nobility (lol!) are understandable for that reason.

Actually, no, it is a population issue. The number of big schools in NC allows UNC to have higher admission standards while serving as the state public "flagship" university while the other universities in state provide an avenue for the kids that can not get into UNC to receive a quality education, fulfilling the mission of the state university system.  This is not really my opinion, more fact like.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: SA Hog Fan on August 26, 2014, 03:31:13 pm
Actually, no, it is a population issue. The number of big schools in NC allows UNC to have higher admission standards while serving as the state public "flagship" university while the other universities in state provide an avenue for the kids that can not get into UNC to receive a quality education, fulfilling the mission of the state university system.  This is not really my opinion, more fact like.
As an exercise in futility, I'll wait for a link to those facts.

luke hawg

Not to interrupt the pissing contest but is there anything new on allen

SA Hog Fan

Quote from: BBsTheMan on August 26, 2014, 05:01:36 pm
As an exercise in futility, I'll wait for a link to those facts.

This was not meant to be an argument but you are impossible. You can google the mission statement of UNC if you like but I'm done with this thread.