Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC Inside

Started by bhogs05, January 30, 2018, 11:32:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bhogs05

Did anyone else get to see the SEC Inside on the Hogs last night? I watched it and some of LSU's Inside as well. One of my biggest problems I have with Mike is that I think he is just a roll the ball out there coach and that program last night did nothing to change my mind on that.  LSU's coach was shown breaking down film telling his players what their next opponents players had tendencies to do..such as spin left once he gets it on the block or talking about what the guard likes to do.  I'm sure each program gets to pick what they want aired but I just wonder if we even break down any film.  All Mike was shown doing is talking about energy and playing hard and together.  Same issues that some have had on his mic'd up segments during games when all he says is they punking you. They had one part where the coaches were sitting at the table and just talked about how many minutes our key guys had been playing after the LSU beatdown but didn't talk any strategy..which they may have and just didn't have it aired.  I'm sure it will air again this week so you might check it out on SEC network if you have it.  I was just curious if anyone else had any thoughts on it.  Hopefully the Hogs can get a big road win tonight!

Razorpigg

Last 4 years, 2nd highest number of wins in conference play. Go home, Mike is doing a great job.

razorpimp

Quote from: Razorpigg on January 30, 2018, 11:33:54 am
Last 4 years, 2nd highest number of wins in conference play. Go home, Mike is doing a great job.

"Great job"??? Not so much....

Breems

The results reflect the teaching. Not TV programs.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

niels_boar

Reporter to Isaiah Thomas:  What are the Jordan rules?

Isaiah Thomas:  I'm not going to give you our game plan, man.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

razorpimp

Quote from: niels_boar on January 30, 2018, 11:38:24 am
Reporter to Isaiah Thomas:  What are the Jordan rules?

Isaiah Thomas:  I'm not going to give you our game plan, man.

So Mike purposely holds back when on TV to be able to surprise the next opponent?

WOW!

You helped me see what Mike does in every game because they are all televised!!! He doesn't run a real offense or defense because he doesn't want the next opponent to be able to scout him!  INGENIUS by Mike!  I underestimated the man!

jst01

What you see with Mike is what you will get for the rest of his career.. its not bad and its not great.  I've accepted the fact that we wont ever see a structured system with Mike where you can isolate players and base your offense around one guy or another. You have to just be happy to win more than you lose and hope that the team gets hot at the right time and you could find yourself in the Sweet 16 or further. No point in expecting a new year or new players to suddenly change the way Mike has been coaching for the last 30 years. 

Breems

A better indicator is what the players say in post-game interviews.

They'll often comment on gameplans and what the coaches emphasize.

99toLife

Quote from: jst01 on January 30, 2018, 11:54:34 am
What you see with Mike is what you will get for the rest of his career.. its not bad and its not great.  I've accepted the fact that we wont ever see a structured system with Mike where you can isolate players and base your offense around one guy or another. You have to just be happy to win more than you lose and hope that the team gets hot at the right time and you could find yourself in the Sweet 16 or further. No point in expecting a new year or new players to suddenly change the way Mike has been coaching for the last 30 years.

This is what I've have posted on here over and over. Mike is Mike not bad, not great but consistently will have winning seasons with a few great games and a few stinkers and a win here or their in the NCAAT.

USChog

Quote from: Breems on January 30, 2018, 11:57:47 am
A better indicator is what the players say in post-game interviews.

They'll often comment on gameplans and what the coaches emphasize.

Get out of here with that logic, this is Hogville!

HawgsPolo

Lol sure man the players are coaching themselves and they never breakdown film in their state of the art practice facility. I'm sure the network wanted to provide a different perspective from each program.
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

KlubhouseKonnected

People who think they know what kind of coaching is going on based off of stuff like this and "mic'd up" are just like clown shoes.

I swear to the baby Jesus there was a guy calling into sports radio a couple weeks ago who refused to believe that despite being Anderson being "mic'd up" he was not hearing the ENTIRETY of Anderson talking on the bench IN REAL TIME.

Some people will always grasp at whatever they think supports believing what they want to believe.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

bhogs05

I'm sure they do watch some film but I don't think that is a high priority of Mikes and I don't think anyone could dispute that.  My point has always been that Mike is not an X's and O's coach and I think that hurts us alot of times in games.  Yes Mike has done a pretty good job(but I wouldn't say great) and I hope we finish the year strong and make a run in the tourney..although we still have alot of work to do to make sure we stay in the tourney this year. 

dsims2k3

CMA does more with less. Therefore  he must know a thing or two, right?
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

Breems

Quote from: dsims2k3 on January 30, 2018, 03:39:44 pm
CMA does more with less. Therefore  he must know a thing or two, right?

Just one thing - rolling the ball out there? Am I right?

Hog Fan...DOH!

Just more proof that MA doesn't win right.

revolution

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on January 30, 2018, 04:14:53 pm
Just more proof that MA doesn't win right.

I would definitely take winning WRONG tonight in College Station!  Last year during our mid-season funk I was really frustrated, but so far this year I have stayed relaxed and I'm trying to enjoy the season.  Obviously Coach Anderson knows so much more about coaching college basketball than I do.  That doesn't make him above questioning, but I can accept that he has his own style of leadership and it seems fairly effective most of the time.

Do I want better and more consistent results?  YES!

So do fans of Texas A&M.  And fans of KY - you know they are frustrated in 3rd place!

What about Duke fans?  All that talent and behind Virginia by 3 full games in the ACC!

How frustrated are the fans of the historic UCLA program?

Georgetown fans?  Oh boy! 

I'm hoping the HOGS make a run!  And if we fall apart and don't make the tournament or stumble around and end up losing in the first round, I'll be dissatisfied. 

If we make the Sweet 16, I'll be ecstatic and be hoping for more in the years to come!

bhogs05

Quote from: Breems on January 30, 2018, 04:12:23 pm
Just one thing - rolling the ball out there? Am I right?

What I mean by roll the ball out there is I don't think Mike is a good X's and O's guy, he's all about his system of frenetic pace and we don't deviate from that one bit.  We pretty much play the exact same way every single game. Hopefully we come out with alot of energy tonight like Mike is always preaching about and get out to a quick start.   

razorback1829

Quote from: bhogs05 on January 30, 2018, 05:00:49 pm
What I mean by roll the ball out there is I don't think Mike is a good X's and O's guy, he's all about his system of frenetic pace and we don't deviate from that one bit.  We pretty much play the exact same way every single game. Hopefully we come out with alot of energy tonight like Mike is always preaching about and get out to a quick start.

Lmao you X and O guys are hilarious man. Shows you don't know much about today's game. And that leads to bad analyzing.

greenEGnHAWGS

January 30, 2018, 05:22:08 pm #19 Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 05:36:48 pm by greenEGnHAWGS
I'm glad this was brought up cuz I was just a thing a Celtics game the other day and listened to Brad Stevens who is hailed by most as one of the top coaches in the country. They had him mic'd up and guess he was saying..."Let's pick up the intensity!", "Lets Go Go Go!", "Don't slows down, push the ball!" etc.

Coaching is done in practice. Don't tell me that in some interview for everyone to watch ANY coach is going to give relevant info. If someone is going through a play on tv, it's just an opportunity to show basketball IQ for recruiting purposes. Quit pretending that National TV is the time to talk strategy.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

FineAsSwine

Quote from: razorback1829 on January 30, 2018, 05:09:04 pm
Lmao you X and O guys are hilarious man. Shows you don't know much about today's game. And that leads to bad analyzing.

I think some of that talk is meant to imply that CMA is not intelligent and that he doesn't work hard and is lazy (as is often said about his recruiting). Almost all of this kind of talk is made without any basis in fact. It is common that even very successful black men deal with stereotypes in their professions. CMA is another example.
Hogs up! Covid down!

niels_boar

Quote from: razorpimp on January 30, 2018, 11:49:31 am
So Mike purposely holds back when on TV to be able to surprise the next opponent?

WOW!

You helped me see what Mike does in every game because they are all televised!!! He doesn't run a real offense or defense because he doesn't want the next opponent to be able to scout him!  INGENIUS by Mike!  I underestimated the man!

I have no idea what your point is.  My point was that CMA would not televise a discussion of real strategy concerning LSU when we will play them at least once more this season.  Only a complete idiot would do so or ask him to do so.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

dsims2k3

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 30, 2018, 05:48:11 pm
I think some of that talk is meant to imply that CMA is not intelligent and that he doesn't work hard and is lazy (as is often said about his recruiting). Almost all of this kind of talk is made without any basis in fact. It is common that even very successful black men deal with stereotypes in their professions. CMA is another example.

#realtalk
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

Breems

Quote from: bhogs05 on January 30, 2018, 05:00:49 pm

His system of frenetic pace is his Xs and Os. There are deviations, but he's not going to start running the Princeton offense mid-game. If your only concept of Xs and Os is a coach that runs Spider Y 2 Banana and describes his sets on TV, then yes, he just rolls the ball out there.

99toLife

Quote from: Breems on January 30, 2018, 06:30:17 pm
His system of frenetic pace is his Xs and Os. There are deviations, but he's not going to start running the Princeton offense mid-game. If your only concept of Xs and Os is a coach that runs Spider Y 2 Banana and describes his sets on TV, then yes, he just rolls the ball out there.

Banana Spiders, what you talkin bout Breems!  ;)

bhogs05

I bet Gruden could draw up some good plays.

chiti66

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 30, 2018, 05:48:11 pm
1000!

HawgsPolo

I wonder what offense Florida running tonight ??? ??? Lol
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

Breems

Quote from: HawgsPolo on January 30, 2018, 07:44:31 pm

One problem with Mike White and Florida is that they just bounce the ball out there instead of rolling it. Costing then dearly tonight.

la20688

Quote from: HawgsPolo on January 30, 2018, 07:44:31 pm
Truth! Mike sucks as a coach because he had Macon playing one on one ball down the stretch against Georgia.....just to get a double OT win, but the great Florida with their great play calling coach has barley scored in almost 6 minutes.

Atlhogfan1

Some of the basis comes from old Nolan quotes about his prep and how opponents need to prepare for him and if his team does what they are supposed to do ....  Mizzou fans fueled the rep while Mike was at Mizzou about a lack of prep for opponents. 

I'm not saying I agree.   
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Good win for Uga.  They badly needed it.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Breems

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 30, 2018, 07:56:36 pm
Good win for Uga.  They badly needed it.

Probably helps us a little too.