Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'll go ahead and call it - Les Miles

Started by BigE_23, September 17, 2017, 08:35:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BigE_23

As much as it PAINS me to admit this, IF we move on from Bert (which would require a miracle from Jeffrey in the first place), you will hear the name Les Miles mentioned and I think he will likely be the next head coach at UA.

Think back to when we hired Bert, Miles' name was mentioned then, and he used it to get a contract extension. What surfaced during that time was that Long and Miles are friends. And therein lies the problem.

Jeff Long is an narcisistic egomaniac who likes to hear in the news how great he is. It's why he fired Bobby in the first place. He saw an opportunity for the spotlight and he's been living in it ever since. When he "landed" Bert, the national media talked about what a tremendous hire it was, luring him from Wisconsin. What we really learned afterwards is that Bert wanted out of Wisky, and BECAUSE HE FLATTERED JEFF LONG WITH A NOTE, he was hired at UofA. Jeff loves to be told how great he is, and Les Miles will use his friendship and knowledge of Long to get a payday from Arkansas.

Jeff Long will go after the biggest name he can land and afford...i.e. his buddy Les Miles. Some of the coaches we could hire will go on to success other places and we will continue to underachieve.

Anyone who thinks that Jeff Long will get this right hasn't been paying attention.

Kevin

Quote from: BigE_23 on September 17, 2017, 08:35:18 am
As much as it PAINS me to admit this, IF we move on from Bert (which would require a miracle from Jeffrey in the first place), you will hear the name Les Miles mentioned and I think he will likely be the next head coach at UA.

Think back to when we hired Bert, Miles' name was mentioned then, and he used it to get a contract extension. What surfaced during that time was that Long and Miles are friends. And therein lies the problem.

Jeff Long is an narcisistic egomaniac who likes to hear in the news how great he is. It's why he fired Bobby in the first place. He saw an opportunity for the spotlight and he's been living in it ever since. When he "landed" Bert, the national media talked about what a tremendous hire it was, luring him from Wisconsin. What we really learned afterwards is that Bert wanted out of Wisky, and BECAUSE HE FLATTERED JEFF LONG WITH A NOTE, he was hired at UofA. Jeff loves to be told how great he is, and Les Miles will use his friendship and knowledge of Long to get a payday from Arkansas.

Jeff Long will go after the biggest name he can land and afford...i.e. his buddy Les Miles. Some of the coaches we could hire will go on to success other places and we will continue to underachieve.

Anyone who thinks that Jeff Long will get this right hasn't been paying attention.

this
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hoggish1

LMAO!  Would have to pull up the rug and plant grass before any discussion could start... 

But, actually Less will never coach again, especially at Arkansas.  Any coach who can't make it at LSU ain't gonna set the world on fire at a place with many fewer advantages.

BigE_23

Quote from: Hoggish1 on September 17, 2017, 08:46:57 am
LMAO!  Would have to pull up the rug and plant grass before any discussion could start... 

But, actually Less will never coach again, especially at Arkansas.  Any coach who can't make it at LSU ain't gonna set the world on fire at a place with many fewer advantages.

Not that I'm defending my hypothesis as the correct hire, I think it would be a disaster.

Having said that, the man did win a national championship...that's a far cry from "can't make it"

SDZ_Hog

How about Okie States O Cord.  Les had been put out to pasture with the likes of Tubs and Brown

BigE_23

Quote from: SDZ_Hog on September 17, 2017, 09:13:49 am
How about Okie States O Cord.  Les had been put out to pasture with the likes of Tubs and Brown

Again...not advocating for the hire. Quite the opposite.

I just am preparing my mind for our bungling AD to screw this up.

BigE_23

Quote from: theFlyingHog on September 17, 2017, 09:20:44 am
Well since Long would have to answer for his decisions to people who control the money I don't see him hiring a "used" coach.

I think perhaps you should join the rest of us 2017. You're not funny even though you're trying so hard to be.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

BigE_23

Quote from: Kevin on September 17, 2017, 09:26:04 am
does long really answer to anybody?
Supposedly the BOT and the university Chancellor...

buldozer

Kevin

Quote from: BigE_23 on September 17, 2017, 09:26:54 am
Supposedly the BOT and the university Chancellor...

that is why I said really. I don't think they bother him at all

ballz2thewall

memphis coach. venables. somebody in a similar situation as these guys.

les miles won't be hired at arkansas. he ran outta gas at lsu and isn't likely to suddenly become more energetic.

this of course assumes a new hire is on the horizon. If so, whomever it is, the optics are going to be difficult to reconcile until performance is established. 
The rest of the frog.

BigE_23

Quote from: Kevin on September 17, 2017, 09:28:07 am
that is why I said really. I don't think they bother him at all

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That's what it's all about...and if that stops coming in, he's in trouble.

Kevin

Quote from: BigE_23 on September 17, 2017, 09:28:53 am
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That's what it's all about...and if that stops coming in, he's in trouble.

it will never stop. 40 million from the sec. I could make a profit as the ad

BigE_23

Quote from: Kevin on September 17, 2017, 09:29:57 am
it will never stop. 40 million from the sec. I could make a profit as the ad

TV contracts get renegotiated all the time...and ours is coming due. With all the trouble ESPN is in financially, that number won't be the same.

Kevin

Quote from: BigE_23 on September 17, 2017, 09:31:35 am
TV contracts get renegotiated all the time...and ours is coming due. With all the trouble ESPN is in financially, that number won't be the same.

I would think fox will be a player this time around

DThog90

Les was calling the Nebraska game on Saturday and it seemed to me like he was sweet talking Nebraska fans. They might be looking for a coach soon after that loss and Nebraska wouldn't be a bad place for him to try again.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: Kevin on September 17, 2017, 09:35:35 am
I would think fox will be a player this time around

i'd bet you're right. just this year i've noticed fox suddenly appear as broadcaster of several featured games each week.
The rest of the frog.

Pecos Hog

Good point.     Like him or not,  Miles would be a huge improvement over our current mess.     And I happen to like grass turf.   If Miles could get us a few wins in BCS bowl games first, I be willing to switch back to real turf.

toxichog

I don't get it........I watched two years in a row Bret Bielema take his 3 star recruits and beat the crap out of Les Miles and his 4 and 5 star recruits.......once at night in "Death Valley "...........why would he even be on a list.

longpig

I'll see your silly Lester prediction and raise you a David Yost.
Don't be scared, be smart.

BigE_23

Quote from: toxichog on September 17, 2017, 10:17:00 am
I don't get it........I watched two years in a row Bret Bielema take his 3 star recruits and beat the crap out of Les Miles and his 4 and 5 star recruits.......once at night in "Death Valley "...........why would he even be on a list.

I guess you didn't take the time to read the post, so I'm not gonna take the time to answer your irrelevant question.

longpig

Actually, we can expect the 3rd hire in the Long era to be landmark, a woman or openly gay dude.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Bacons Rebellion

I'll take the other side of that and say "Not Les Miles."

Friend or not, Long isn't going to hire a 64 year old coach. And Long has no track record of hiring old friends.

BigE_23

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on September 17, 2017, 10:50:59 am
I'll take the other side of that and say "Not Les Miles."

Friend or not, Long isn't going to hire a 64 year old coach. And Long has no track record of hiring old friends.

Tommy Bowden says hi...didn't hire him but sure as hell tried.

idochog

You guys do remember he wasn't that great at okie st before he landed in a place that recruits itself
I love Jesus!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Yeah, He's only batting .500 on coaching hires...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

PorkRinds

If this happened I would immediately take back every nice thing I ever said about Jeff Long and move firmly into the Yankee devil camp. I'd apologize to Deltaboy.

BigE_23

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on September 17, 2017, 02:17:05 pm
Yeah, He's only batting .500 on coaching hires...

I think you missed a few at bats my friend.

PORKULATOR

See how smart Will DOESN'T look in this pic.... Thats this post. That goofy looking.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

GoHogs1091

Better hope Miles gets hired at Nebraska or Ole Miss before our Head Coach position is vacant.

Miles coaching here would be Bielema 2.0. 

Hoggish1

Quote from: BigE_23 on September 17, 2017, 08:50:39 am
Not that I'm defending my hypothesis as the correct hire, I think it would be a disaster.

Having said that, the man did win a national championship...that's a far cry from "can't make it"

He won it with Sabans kids.

LRHawg

You guys can't be serious. Les would be far worse than CBB. Remember how hard a time he had with QBs and offense? He'd fail miserably here.

RebelliousHog

Quote from: BigE_23 on September 17, 2017, 10:28:37 am
I guess you didn't take the time to read the post, so I'm not gonna take the time to answer your irrelevant question.

I think he DID take the time to read the post, and then make a RELEVANT post that CBB with lesser recruited athletes defeated Miles who had the advantage of the LSU recruiting machine.

Just because he disagreed with your astute but wrong premise, don't get prissy.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

pigskenG

No way. If he can't keep his job at LSU with all that Louisiana talent, why do you want him here ? 

kodiakisland

Les did less with more. While almost any coach is going to equal BB on the field performance, I don't think thats what we want. We want someone who does more with less.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

BigE_23

Quote from: HenduHog on September 17, 2017, 08:37:16 pm
I think he DID take the time to read the post, and then make a RELEVANT post that CBB with lesser recruited athletes defeated Miles who had the advantage of the LSU recruiting machine.

Just because he disagreed with your astute but wrong premise, don't get prissy.

First of all, no one needs you to be their defender.

Second, his post wasn't relevant to my post at all, in that he asked "why would Les be on the list" which had already been covered in the OP. He didn't disagree with my premise as his post had nothing to do with mine. My whole point was that he shouldn't be on the list...but because of Jeff Long, he would be.

Third, if you're trying to start something, try somewhere else.

goodguytex

CBB may at some point if the Hogs have a lousy season leave on his own, go to a mid major program, try to win there, then go back to a major college program. But we are one loss into the season. We may stink again, or we may look awesome Saturday. Just hard to know yet.

GuvHog

Quote from: BigE_23 on September 17, 2017, 11:00:52 am
Tommy Bowden says hi...didn't hire him but sure as hell tried.

Jeff actually DID offer Tommy Bowden the job and Bowden accepted it but Jeff was told not to bother recommending him to the BOT.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

DLUXHOG

Quote from: BigE_23 on September 17, 2017, 08:50:39 am

so did.. Lou Holtz (after he was booted from Arkansas), Barry Switzer (several and he was never ever approached with the HC opportunity), and Jimmy Johnson (who was passed over for the HC job at Arkansas)
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

jgphillips3

Oh my Lord.  If Les couldn't win at LSU, he sure as hell cant win here.  I can't see this scenario playing out but he would be Bielema part 2.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: PORKULATOR on September 17, 2017, 08:05:39 pm
See how smart Will DOESN'T look in this pic.... Thats this post. That goofy looking.

I was thinking the same thing. A doofus post by someone who uses a doofus as their avatar. Hard to take a guy seriously.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

onebadrubi

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 17, 2017, 02:40:03 pm
If this happened I would immediately take back every nice thing I ever said about Jeff Long and move firmly into the Yankee devil camp. I'd apologize to Deltaboy.

QFT

BigE_23

Quote from: GuvHog on September 17, 2017, 08:48:35 pm
Jeff actually DID offer Tommy Bowden the job and Bowden accepted it but Jeff was told not to bother recommending him to the BOT.

All of which proves the point I was making...and he was never hired.

BigE_23

September 17, 2017, 09:03:06 pm #44 Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 10:29:43 pm by BigE_23
Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 17, 2017, 08:54:18 pm
I was thinking the same thing. A doofus post by someone who uses a doofus as their avatar. Hard to take a guy seriously.  ;)

The lengths some of you will go to in an attempt to appear intelligent or funny are astounding.

I'm sure every time someone posts, the first thing you do check is their avatar for credibility. Cheers to you!

BigE_23

The lengths some of you will go to in an attempt to appear intelligent or funny are astounding.

I'm see every time someone posts, the first thing you do check is their avatar for credibility. Cheers to you!

WorfHog

Lay off the meth/weed for an evening you paranoid nut.

BigE_23

Quote from: WorfHog on September 17, 2017, 09:08:41 pm
Lay off the meth/weed for an evening you paranoid nut.

People like you are why this thread was created:

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=637614.0

You should read it.

Rudy Baylor

While Les Miles would be better than what we now have, he wouldn't be able to win like he could at LSU.  I believe he averaged 10 wins per season at LSU and he cannot recruit enough to Arkansas to win with his no QB system at Arkansas.  No to Les Miles.  Les would be a solid 7 to 8 wins per season Dude.  We wouldn't have to wring our hands to get that from him while we have to with BB and even that don't work.