Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Annual conference expansion talks heat up - Big 12, SEC adding teams?

Started by WizardofhOgZ, May 05, 2012, 04:03:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: dooley on November 29, 2012, 10:14:30 am
Academics appears to be a factor for the SEC.  Beyond to marketing potential, they liked the academics that Mizzou and aTm brought in.  Adding UNC and Duke would only increase that and market and basketball prowess, of course.  I'd like them as a pair.  Common sense, though, says one from Virginia and one from NC - the fastest two growing states in the country - in a grab for the TV sets.

The SEC liked Mizzou and A&M's academics because they bolstered the case the SEC is about to make to some Eastern schools with academic pretensions.

Slive knew all along Mizzou and A&M weren't the endgame; they were part of getting the pieces lined up for the endgame.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Lysol

I don't think it will end at 16. What's stopping the SEC and B1G from swallowing every last major program? And why wouldn't they? 18 programs is more money than 16. And 24 is more money than 18. And 32 is more than 24.

I think within the next 20 years we will begin to see major college athletics morph into something similar to the NFL and NBA.

elvis26

;D lysol i agree the sec will not stop at 16. its all about the money!!!!!! i believe no-car st and vir-tech will be the next 2 teams followed by duke and no-car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ADinWaiting

Three 24 team conferences. Split into two 12 team division, split into two 6 team divisons. So SEC (24), West (12) East (12), SE (6) NE (6) SW (6) NW (6). Each division winner gets an automatic birth to an 8 team playoff. Two at-large.

SEC

Alabama
Arkansas
Auburn
Clemson
Duke
Florida
Florida State
Georgia
Georgia Tech
Kentucky
Louisville
LSU
Miami
Mississippi
Mississippi State
Missouri
North Carolina
North Carolina State
South Carolina
South Florida
Tennessee
Texas A&M
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest

Pac-12

Arizona
Arizona State
Baylor
Boise State
BYU
California
Colorado
Hawaii
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Oregon
Oregon State
Stanford
TCU
Texas
Texas Tech
UCLA
UNLV
USC
Utah
Washington
Washington State

Big 10

Boston College
Cincinnati
Connecticut
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Iowa State
Maryland
Michigan
Michigan State
Minnesota
Nebraska
Northwestern
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Purdue
Rutgers
Syracuse
Virginia
Virginia Tech
West Virginia
Wisconsin

Maybe something like this. Pretty much the top 72 teams in FBS. The others can reclassify.
"I was not happy with the direction of the program and a change in leadership was needed."

NaturalStateReb

They're not taking more than 16.  The money's not infinite.  16 is tidy for scheduling, and at some point the conference loses any character it had and the addition of new teams reaches a point of diminishing financial return.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

rzrbackrob

Quote from: Murr on November 29, 2012, 08:32:44 am
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/feed/2012-08/firstand10/story/college-football-realignment-maryland-acc-50-million-buyout-sec-big-ten-pac-12

Hayes mentions SEC has been talking to Duke and UNC for three years per his source.

To be honest, if starting a network, adding two powerhouse academic and BB schools would greatly improve the inventory during the BB season.  I'm sure spring and early summertime programming will feature lots of baseball

Think NC State and VT would fit the current model for expansion.
If for some reason Slive goes the NC/Duke route, that would signify a significant shift in the current expand the footprint model demonstrated by the SEC with A&M/Mizzou and B1G Terps/Rutgers.
Good is the enemy of great

BuschHawg

I'd prefer to not expand any further. But, the following would make for a heck of a conference in both football and basketball.

West 1
*Arkansas
*Louisiana State
*Mississippi State
*Mississippi
*Missouri
*Kentucky

West 2
*Texas A&M
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
Kansas
Kansas State

East 1
*Alabama
*Auburn
*South Carolina
*Florida
*Tennessee
*Vanderbilt

East 2
*Georgia
North Carolina
Clemson
Duke
Florida State
Georgia Tech

Hogfaniam

ncaa should've stepped in before things got out of control and started letting the inmates run the asylum.  set up 8 twelve team conferences, each with a conference championship with the winners going to a 8 team playoff.  allow each conference to broker their own tv deal during the season, but the ncaa organize the playoff themselves.  billions and billions of dollars distributed from a playoff and each conference in control of their tv destiny.

all but for the fly in the ointment, notre dame.   :puke:
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Murr

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on November 29, 2012, 02:58:29 pm
The SEC liked Mizzou and A&M's academics because they bolstered the case the SEC is about to make to some Eastern schools with academic pretensions.

Slive knew all along Mizzou and A&M weren't the endgame; they were part of getting the pieces lined up for the endgame.
They greatly improved the SEC's academics and TV footprint and might help us land UNC & Duke if that is Slive's plan.

Quote from: Lysol on November 29, 2012, 04:33:09 pm
I don't think it will end at 16. What's stopping the SEC and B1G from swallowing every last major program? And why wouldn't they? 18 programs is more money than 16. And 24 is more money than 18. And 32 is more than 24.

I think within the next 20 years we will begin to see major college athletics morph into something similar to the NFL and NBA.

I've thought about that one too.  Let's say UNC and Duke are #15 and #16, but Slive still wants VA/DC markets and CBS is still not budging on increasing Tier 1 $$$, grab VT and FSU as best available football programs and call it a day.  The SEC would now have three national BB powers(UNC, UK, Duke) to strengthen the SEC Network's programming in the winter.  CBS would be thrilled with all the possible matchups with FSU and VT added in FB.  Probably won't happen but that's my two  cents.

From the Baylor Bear's 247 insider:
QuoteBrian Ethridge ‏@TruthOrBear247
Bowlesby reached into his pocket found a single and his ten, feels so good feelin' good again....

Seems to suggest the Big 12 now has it's 11th team, probably from the ACC.  FSU I think is still waiting on the SEC door to be slammed shut on them or they are seeing all the ACC hypocrites publicly supporting the league while working on deals in private.  The others could be Miami who might be looking for a home as the B1G seems to have cooled on them and of course Clemson who seems to be staying as loyal to the ACC as anyone could be publicly.

The West Virginia Boys think GT is next to bolt to the B1G.  GT could replace UVA as B1G's next target should UVA's president and BOT not agree to the move.
QuoteMHver3 ‏@MHver3
UVA may have missed their chance at the B1G. Sources indicating that GT have become the main target for now. Could hold at 15 for a minute

Tim Harris

Quote from: Murr on November 29, 2012, 11:57:42 pm
I’ve thought about that one too.  Let’s say UNC and Duke are #15 and #16, but Slive still wants VA/DC markets and CBS is still not budging on increasing Tier 1 $$$, grab VT and FSU as best available football programs and call it a day.  The SEC would now have three national BB powers(UNC, UK, Duke) to strengthen the SEC Network’s programming in the winter.  CBS would be thrilled with all the possible matchups with FSU and VT added in FB.  Probably won’t happen but that’s my two  cents.

I wonder if you would ever talk UNC and Duke in to splitting.  If academics is playing a big role in this you could look at UNC or Duke with Virginia being #16.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Hogfaniam on November 29, 2012, 10:34:01 pm
ncaa should've stepped in before things got out of control and started letting the inmates run the asylum.  set up 8 twelve team conferences, each with a conference championship with the winners going to a 8 team playoff.  allow each conference to broker their own tv deal during the season, but the ncaa organize the playoff themselves.  billions and billions of dollars distributed from a playoff and each conference in control of their tv destiny.

Schools join the ncaa by choice. The ncaa only has the authority given to it by its members. Forcing any particular alignment would likely result in withdrawal of the big revenue conferences.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hogfaniam on November 29, 2012, 10:34:01 pm

Many more flies than 1.  8 12 team leagues is 96 teams, that would leave 28 fbs schools out.  What do you do with them.  If they meet the requirements for FSB status, you can't kick them down to fcs. 

A much more likely scenario is 4 16 team conferences withdrawing from the NCAA for football, and setting up their own playoff setup. 

Whatever happens the current fbs schools that get left out have to be appeased somehow to keep it from getting tied up in court.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ADinWaiting

Quote from: hogsanity on November 30, 2012, 09:01:18 am
Many more flies than 1.  8 12 team leagues is 96 teams, that would leave 28 fbs schools out.  What do you do with them.  If they meet the requirements for FSB status, you can't kick them down to fcs. 

A much more likely scenario is 4 16 team conferences withdrawing from the NCAA for football, and setting up their own playoff setup. 

Whatever happens the current fbs schools that get left out have to be appeased somehow to keep it from getting tied up in court.
I think there needs to be 80 FBS teams and the rest can reclassify. Change the requirements, because in reality New Mexico State isn't going to win a championship. I'm a fan of 8, 10 team conferences. Conference champ and runner-up automatically go to the 16 team playoff.
"I was not happy with the direction of the program and a change in leadership was needed."

Murr

Here's a first:

Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS
RT @IDS_BroncoBeat: Pac-12 commish Larry Scott says league will keep its eye on Boise State, San Diego St. Wow

Remember when all those conf. bigshots talked abt how their academic standards kept them from considering some moves? Me either

elvis26

;D i believe the sec will make their move soon on conference expansion!!!!!!!!! i believe vir-tech will be our likely choices!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont believe the teams in the acc that said they are very commited to their conf. i think that is a bunch of hogwash!!!!!!!!! there will be a lot of conf realignment in the next 2 years because of the big tv contracts. let the expansions begin my friends!!!!!!!!!!!!

elvis26

ADinWaiting

fister

Quote from: hogsanity on November 30, 2012, 09:01:18 am
A lot of those teams don't meet the eligibility requirement right now. Several schools have been caught fudging their attendance numbers and some don't even bother and just report smaller numbers than are required. If the NCAA wanted to cull the herd they would only have to enforce this rule.

Quote from: hogsanity on November 30, 2012, 09:01:18 amA much more likely scenario is 4 16 team conferences withdrawing from the NCAA for football, and setting up their own playoff setup. 
This could easily happen. IF they withdraw from the NCAA the other schools don't have a legal leg to stand on to prevent it from happening.

Murr

Tons of smoke lately with ACC schools having to give the dreaded "vote of confidense" to their league.

Here is one from long time SEC target VT:
http://www.roanoke.com/sports/vtfootball/wb/317718

The conspiracy theoriest suggest that you look that the schools not giving these statements on thier own to be the ones mostly likely to bolt next.  The suggested time frame for an announcement seems to be after the bowl season.  The Big Ten has added Notre Dame on top of the wish list.  To get them, they might have to destablize the ACC and add a team or two that the Irish would find attractive.  Big Ten is rumored to have no problems going to 18 to make it happen.

Seeing more rumors that the SEC could go all in and offer UNC/Duke just to get the Heels.  You know that would greatly improve our Basketball and academics, UNC-Duke rivalry would continue and UNC would not have to let NC State collect SEC paychecks.  Negative side is this goes against Slive's mindset considering the much better $$$ option is taking one school from each NC and VA.

Still coughing on the Jeff Long HC smoke. Not sure if I'm ready to take in more realignment smoke just yet.

josh_sec33

And the next slight barrier to the "superconferences" just splintered....the Big East.

The seven non-Football Bowl Subdivision schools in the Big East have agreed to leave the conference and are debating the process of departing it, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Details are still to be determined for how the seven Catholic schools -- DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall and Villanova -- will leave the conference.

Later in the article, it states that the loss of these teams will hurt the media rights, and basically cancel out any financial gain for many of the football teams coming in from further west, especially Boise and SDSU...they may look closer to home.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8745235/seven-schools-agree-leave-big-east-debating-process-source-says
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

Dumb ole famrboy

Certainly blindsided by Maryland bolting. I really don't think at this point the ACC will convince Notre Dame to expand their membership to all sports so Plan B may be Navy. It's located in Maryland, strong academics and has a good draw in the DC the market.

Murr

Quote from: Dumb ole famrboy on December 14, 2012, 02:54:31 am
Certainly blindsided by Maryland bolting. I really don't think at this point the ACC will convince Notre Dame to expand their membership to all sports so Plan B may be Navy. It's located in Maryland, strong academics and has a good draw in the DC the market.

UConn and Cincy would need homes and are more attractive to the ACC.  USF would get in once FSU leaves

Rayzor

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on May 07, 2012, 11:21:24 am
I believe for Slive and the network it was just adding TV markets. A state we weren't in, bordered Tenn and Ark. STL and KC markets.

Aside from that I'm in the same boat as you. Didn't do much for me before, still nothing to me now.

i think your 100% correct..TV market.  I think that conference additions are almost totally about TV area.  I am sure it will be re-visited if/when the SEC looks to add 2 more teams, but during the discussion that took place in the most recent expansion, it was stated that the SEC didn't want any more "duplicity".   Clemson and FSU were the most talked about additions a few years ago, but the "duplicity" issue was brought up as possible reasons that didn't happen. 

Who knows which way they go in the next round of expansions, but my guess is that it will be which ever way gains the largest TV market????

Adam Stokes

If conferences are really all about making more money, can someone explain to me why anyone cares in the least when it comes to academics?

Murr

Quote from: Adam Stokes on December 15, 2012, 01:03:50 pm
If conferences are really all about making more money, can someone explain to me why anyone cares in the least when it comes to academics?

University Presidents vote for or against new member applications.  If the votes are not there, the commish can not hand out the invitation.  University Presidents love "rubbing elbows" with other academic insitituitions.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Murr on December 15, 2012, 03:49:17 pm
University Presidents vote for or against new member applications.  If the votes are not there, the commish can not hand out the invitation.  University Presidents love "rubbing elbows" with other academic insitituitions.

The B1G in particular is not just an athletic conference but a research consortium. The $Billions in research grants shared by those schools makes the the athletic funding look small. The SEC presidents have visions of a similar partnership. It was not an accident that the last two schools admitted were AAU members. When you read "strong academics" in these talks you need to translate that to "lots of research funding". Always follow the money.

Murr

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 15, 2012, 04:10:16 pm
The B1G in particular is not just an athletic conference but a research consortium. The $Billions in research grants shared by those schools makes the the athletic funding look small. The SEC presidents have visions of a similar partnership. It was not an accident that the last two schools admitted were AAU members. When you read "strong academics" in these talks you need to translate that to "lots of research funding". Always follow the money.

I vaguely hear that the SEC does in fact want to emulate the B1G's CIC.  The AAU additions help that, I just haven't seen many details as to how they plan to do this.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Murr on December 15, 2012, 04:42:23 pm
I vaguely hear that the SEC does in fact want to emulate the B1G's CIC.  The AAU additions help that, I just haven't seen many details as to how they plan to do this.

Mr. SEC wrote about it a couple years ago. The SECAC (SEC Academic Consortium) was started in 2005 and is modeled after the CIC (which was formed in 1958 by comparison).

http://www.mrsec.com/2010/05/expounding-on-expansion-academics-and-politics-before-specifics/

Here's a link to more info on the SECAC.
http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/AcademicConsortium

I've thought for a while that the SEC's supposed interest in NC State was a smoke screen and that the real target was UNC. Duke would most certainly be welcomed by the SEC Presidents. Adding the state of North Carolina to the SEC footprint as well as the biggest rivalry in college basketball is the best of all worlds for the SEC and its media partners.

Murr

Thanks for the links and I agree with your last paragraph.

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 15, 2012, 06:36:42 pm
Mr. SEC wrote about it a couple years ago. The SECAC (SEC Academic Consortium) was started in 2005 and is modeled after the CIC (which was formed in 1958 by comparison).

http://www.mrsec.com/2010/05/expounding-on-expansion-academics-and-politics-before-specifics/

Here's a link to more info on the SECAC.
http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/AcademicConsortium

I've thought for a while that the SEC's supposed interest in NC State was a smoke screen and that the real target was UNC. Duke would most certainly be welcomed by the SEC Presidents. Adding the state of North Carolina to the SEC footprint as well as the biggest rivalry in college basketball is the best of all worlds for the SEC and its media partners.

rzrbackrob

Just to keep everything in one thread, some old threads about the Aggies and Mizzou coming into the SEC

big 12-2-1-1+2 says LHN on hold - big 12-2-1-1+2 to be held hostage together forever
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=416649.0
Notre Dame to go to big 12-2-1-1+2 if Aggies bolt
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=417625.0
Texas legislature will save the big 12-2-1-1+2
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=417771.0
Thank you Frank for getting the Hogs into the SEC 20 yrs ago
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=417899.0
Frank's take on Aggies in the SEC
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=418473.0
big 12-2-1-1+2 wants the Hogs
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=419301.0
OU admits that if you really want to join the SEC, you can break away from little brother
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=419986.0
OU pretends to look elsewhere
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=420352.0
Aggies join SEC
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=422235.0
ACC told to take Pitt and Syracuse by ESPN
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=428703.0

Murr

Filling Delany's ark, two at a time.

Last round it was Rutgers waiting on Maryland.

This time Georgia Tech is waiting on Virginia. Boston College is standing by. Delany will wait until shortly after bowl season to see if UVA can get their ducks in a row.

Big 12 moving against Texas' wishes.  Trying to land two to four quality ACC schools; FSU, Clemson, VT, Miami, NC State.

SEC loathing over academics, basketball programing upgrades and easy football victories from UNC and Duke.

That's what I'm reading.

rzrbackrob

Looks like Cox sneaks LHN in the backdoor 

http://www.barkingcarnival.com/2012/12/13/3765324/longhorn-network-to-be-on-cox-communications-as-part-of-a-bundle

Congratulations Fayetteville and Fort Smith, you now get the LHN thrust upon you

http://ww2.cox.com/

ESPN is going to continue to divide and conquer to stave off stand alone conference networks.
Is "project X" going to be stand alone or together with ESPN?

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2012/09/17/Media/SEC.aspx

elvis26

;D murr i truely believe now it will be duke and no-car coming to the sec!!!!!!!! i believe it will be announced sometime in january!!!!!!!!!!!

Murr

Quote from: elvis26 on December 16, 2012, 11:19:12 pm
;D murr i truely believe now it will be duke and no-car coming to the sec!!!!!!!! i believe it will be announced sometime in january!!!!!!!!!!!

I truly hope so.  I'm ready for expansion talk, speculation and realignment to wrap up.

psooie

Duke and UNC would be a home run. Duke is a national school so you can't say its just a a one state pickup. So they suck in football, who cares, they bring the hoops and help the sec academic standing. Not sure what the landscape would look like after the move but the ACC would be demolished. UVA would join the big 10, unless they also joined the sec but i'm not a fan of going above 16.

Boog41

Quote from: psooie on December 17, 2012, 09:31:12 am
Duke and UNC would be a home run. Duke is a national school so you can't say its just a a one state pickup. So they suck in football, who cares, they bring the hoops and help the sec academic standing. Not sure what the landscape would look like after the move but the ACC would be demolished. UVA would join the big 10, unless they also joined the sec but i'm not a fan of going above 16.

Pretending this did happen for a moment, I wonder how the SEC would align the teams. It really doesn't seem fair to have KY, Duke & Vandy all on one side. Under this arrangement, obviously MO would come to the west.

elvis26

;D i believe the sec will go to 16 teams real soon!!!!!!! i am ready to go to 16 teams and be done with expansion!!!!!!!!!!! duke and no-car would be 2 great teams to get!!!!!!

Murr

Quote from: psooie on December 17, 2012, 09:31:12 am

I've asked the question to several insiders on the WVU boards would the SEC go beyond 16 for the right combo of schools are markets, and they keep telling me their SEC contacts are saying no.  16 is the limit for the foreseeable future whether one or two new markets are added.  If the right combo is not there, they'll make 14 workable.

Murr

Quote from: Boog41 on December 17, 2012, 09:54:34 am
Pretending this did happen for a moment, I wonder how the SEC would align the teams. It really doesn't seem fair to have KY, Duke & Vandy all on one side. Under this arrangement, obviously MO would come to the west.
Definitely the weakest pod on paper. If you replace Duke with UNC it would balance out the northern and eastern pods a little better.  UNC has a better chance at building a competetitive SEC football program in the next 5-10 years than Duke.  Duke, if it ever caught SEC fever, could strive and build its program to be the Stanford of the east.

East: UF, UGA, USC, Duke
North: Tenn, UNC, UK, Vandy

The other question is, does it matter? If we are still operating under the conference championship game model, then you would Likely form a division with another pod, everyone plays one another plus whoever their 2 permanent rivalary games are for the 9 game season.

hoosier

Murr, you think there's any chance Virginia could replace Duke if they can get UNC?

Boog41

Quote from: Murr on December 18, 2012, 10:16:59 am
Definitely the weakest pod on paper. If you replace Duke with UNC it would balance out the northern and eastern pods a little better.  UNC has a better chance at building a competetitive SEC football program in the next 5-10 years than Duke.  Duke, if it ever caught SEC fever, could strive and build its program to be the Stanford of the east.

The other question is, does it matter? If we are still operating under the conference championship game model, then you would Likely form a division with another pod, everyone plays one another plus whoever their 2 permanent rivalary games are for the 9 game season.

So you are thinking we will go to four pods rather than operating as we do now??

Murr

Quote from: hoosier on December 18, 2012, 10:24:10 am
Murr, you think there's any chance Virginia could replace Duke if they can get UNC?

UNC is the prize.  If they want Duke, we,ll bring in Duke.  If they want Rutgers, we bring in Rutgers. UNC favors the blue devils

UVA' president has to get university behind her or BC will take their B1G spot and then have to find a way to survive in a severely depleted ACC. If GT and BC go to B1G, expect UConn and Cincy to replace; watch a pissed off FSU and Miami land in B12.  UNC and Duke would then move to SEC since ACC is no longer Viable $$$$.

Murr

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on December 18, 2012, 04:35:18 pm
Is the "Big Bang" era upon us?

http://www.mrsec.com/2012/12/big-bang-theories-the-countdown-to-super-conferences-part-1/#more-260564

Mr. SEC is now drinking the cyanide laced ACC kool aid (from above link):

QuoteWe've talked to multiple sources at various SEC schools, inside the college sports industry, and inside the collegiate equipment-supply business over the past two weeks.  Of all the scuttlebutt we've heard during those talks, the two most widely held beliefs are that Georgia Tech and Virginia are already good to go to the Big Ten and that Delany and company want Duke and North Carolina, as well.  True or not, a lot of insiders believe Tech and UVA are this close to moving.

If two more ACC schools really do have their feet out the door already, then the ACC will most likely lose all of its top-shelf athletic brands.  The only reason for the delay at this point?  More than one person suggested to us that Georgia Tech and Virginia are waiting to see if Maryland has to pay a full exit fee as it departs from Swofford's conference.

Forget the "all's well" note from the ACC's presidents earlier this month.  If those presidents were serious about saving their conference, they'd merrily sign a grant-of-rights agreement as the schools in the Big XII did.  Anything short of that — and it doesn't sound like there's a strong move in that direction — suggests that multiple ACC schools are indeed ready to bolt if they feel they'll help their own bottom lines by doing so.
So, according to this domino theory, once UVA and GT leave the ACC, the Big Ten and the SEC fight over UNC and Duke.  If the SEC doesn't land Duke, they go after NC State and Virginia Tech.  If the Big Ten doesn't land UNC/Duke, they'll probably stay at 16 unless Notre Dame is involved.  Florida State and Miami could move the Big 12 at any time and it won't affect odds of UVA/GT/UNC/Duke landing elsewhere, only the timing.  The Big 12 will only expand with additions that grow the revenue pot.  Fox is footing the bill for this and Texas is fighting all expansion efforts (per ESPN/LHN according to some) despite rumored votes for expansion at 9-1 within the conference.

brewster37

The things I'm hearing from local sports talk that the ACC teams  remains strong and committed to the league. Trust me I wish North Carolina  would jump so I can see more Hog games (living in Fayetteville NC) maybe SEC network will come.
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap

Murr

Quote from: brewster37 on December 18, 2012, 10:48:04 pm
The things I'm hearing from local sports talk that the ACC teams  remains strong and committed to the league. Trust me I wish North Carolina  would jump so I can see more Hog games (living in Fayetteville NC) maybe SEC network will come.

Reread that last paragraph I quoted from Mr. SEC.  I believe it was Swarick that said FSU would be taking a pay cut if they left the ACC too.

Dumb ole famrboy

Quote from: Murr on December 18, 2012, 10:16:59 am

With 16 teams - the schedule will stay at 8 SEC games with 1 permanent opponent outside your pod. Every two years the scheduled pods rotate. Makes 3 permanent games inside your pod plus 4 games against the rotated pod plus 1 permanent opponent equals 8 games. Every school would rotate through the SEC playing everyone at least 2 times every 6 years.

psooie

Unless the ncaa changes the rules, there can't be pods. To have a championship game you must play all school's in your division. If the sec went to 16, that would mean playing 7 division games and 1 or 2 from the other division. Most likely two with one permanent and one rotated to keep some rival games. SO it would be a long time to go through the other division. I don't know why leagues think getting bigger is such  a good idea. Reminds me of this phrase:

And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul?

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.