Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fried catfish at home

Started by Tigerloather, February 15, 2016, 12:51:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tigerloather

What's your favorite batter recipe?  Home made or store bought?

Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity - Frank Leahy

PorkRinds

Fried catfish doesn't use batter!!! My favorite method is soaked in buttermilk and dipped in cornmeal/flour/spice mixture.  If it's not coated in cornmeal, it's not true southern fried catfish.  JMO of course.

Boog41

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 15, 2016, 01:32:40 pm
Fried catfish doesn't use batter!!! My favorite method is soaked in buttermilk and dipped in cornmeal/flour/spice mixture.  If it's not coated in cornmeal, it's not true southern fried catfish.  JMO of course.

This is pretty much my normal method as well. I do sometimes soak in 7-up though and sometimes put a light coating of mustard on the fish before the breading mixture. The mustard is very subtle tasting after frying, but is really good.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Boog41 on February 15, 2016, 02:47:10 pm
This is pretty much my normal method as well. I do sometimes soak in 7-up though and sometimes put a light coating of mustard on the fish before the breading mixture. The mustard is very subtle tasting after frying, but is really good.

I've done the mustard trick too, but my wife doesn't care for mustard at all, so I just use the buttermilk.

TomasPistola

Buttermilk + zatarain's southern fish fry when I'm too lazy to mix up anything myself. Bonus to use the leftover Zatarains to make fried squash to go with the fish.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 15, 2016, 03:09:03 pm
I've done the mustard trick too, but my wife doesn't care for mustard at all, so I just use the buttermilk.

You oughta try chopping up some cilantro and mixing it with the mustard.  I bet she would LOVE that. 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

PorkRinds

Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 15, 2016, 04:39:43 pm
You oughta try chopping up some cilantro and mixing it with the mustard.  I bet she would LOVE that.

Lol. Shed disown me.  ;D

Hog_Swanson

Take a drive out to the War Eagle Mill sometime.  Buy their fish fry.  It's the best stuff you will ever put in your mouth.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Tigerloather

Pardon me...what combination of meal, flour, spices do you prefer?  We call it batter, but we're pretty backwoods here.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Tigerloather on February 15, 2016, 09:00:27 pm
Pardon me...what combination of meal, flour, spices do you prefer?  We call it batter, but we're pretty backwoods here.

He thought you were talking "batter" like beer-batter or tempura or something
Like that. I'm pretty backwoods, too, and we just always called it "fishfry" referring to the mix you apply to the fish.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Tigerloather on February 15, 2016, 09:00:27 pm
I was just pokin at you.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/jacks-fried-catfish

Something like this with a little flour added and buttermilk instead of milk.

Tigerloather

I used 2 parts Louisiana fish fry, 1 part flour, 1 part white corn meal & salt/pepper to taste tonight and it turned out pretty good.

I've tried the Louisiana fish fry alone & it was just too overpowering.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Tigerloather on February 15, 2016, 09:19:08 pm
I used 2 parts Louisiana fish fry, 1 part flour, 1 part white corn meal & salt/pepper to taste tonight and it turned out pretty good.

I've tried the Louisiana fish fry alone & it was just too overpowering.

I agree with you. I've always found it too salty. That's why I go with my granny's method. The zattarains fish fry is ok in a pinch.

Tigerloather

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 15, 2016, 09:24:43 pm
I agree with you. I've always found it too salty. That's why I go with my granny's method. The zattarains fish fry is ok in a pinch.
My grandad used to mix a bunch of stuff up, throw it in a paper bag and shake it.  Best fish I ever ate, but I never asked what he put in it.  Wish I could go back & ask!

ricepig

Quote from: Tigerloather on February 15, 2016, 09:32:13 pm
My grandad used to mix a bunch of stuff up, throw it in a paper bag and shake it.  Best fish I ever ate, but I never asked what he put in it.  Wish I could go back & ask!

Good quality paper bag, unlike these days! The lady that cleaned our house growing up did the same with fried chicken, best ever.

DeltaBoy

I agree! But I do like Blacken Catfish.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Grizzlyfan

Throw a little Louisiana Hot Sauce in the buttermilk.  Just enough to make it very light pink.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on February 16, 2016, 02:19:11 pm
Throw a little Louisiana Hot Sauce in the buttermilk.  Just enough to make it very light pink.

I usually use a bit of cayenne pepper in it. I'll try the hot sauce trick.

Tigerloather

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 16, 2016, 02:20:31 pm
I usually use a bit of cayenne pepper in it. I'll try the hot sauce trick.
My brother in law adds a little crab boil, it's pretty good but salty if too much is added.

hoglady

1/2 yellow cornmeal mix, 1/2 yellow cornmeal, salt, black pepper and cayenne.
Taste your coating for salt content before putting your fish in it.
Too much or too little can sure screw up a good batch of fish.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

rcopela

Back in the day when I fished a lot, I used "Uncle Bucks" from Bass Pro, good stuff..

DeltaBoy

Quote from: hoglady on February 17, 2016, 07:43:41 am
1/2 yellow cornmeal mix, 1/2 yellow cornmeal, salt, black pepper and cayenne.
Taste your coating for salt content before putting your fish in it.
Too much or too little can sure screw up a good batch of fish.

That is the Truth, Too Salty fish is a SIN!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

theFlyingHog

Yeller cornmeal with black pepper and cayenne to taste. Sometimes will dip fish in a bowl of Louisiana hot sawce before going in the meal.

What cooker you use?
I got one of these and love it

PharmacistHog

Quote from: theFlyingHog on February 17, 2016, 01:49:25 pm
Yeller cornmeal with black pepper and cayenne to taste. Sometimes will dip fish in a bowl of Louisiana hot sawce before going in the meal.

What cooker you use?

Those are pretty sweet. We just dont eat enough fried food to justify one, though. I just use a regular fish cooker with a big cast iron pot.

Tigerloather

Quote from: theFlyingHog on February 17, 2016, 01:49:25 pm

What cooker you use?

Is that a Cajun Cooker?  I bought a Bayou Classic Cooker from Hayneedle that is very similar.  Awesome for cooking fish & deer steak!

theFlyingHog

Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 17, 2016, 06:09:43 pm
Those are pretty sweet. We just dont eat enough fried food to justify one, though. I just use a regular fish cooker with a big cast iron pot.
We don't fry often but when we do its 25-30 of us and I got sick of frying fish for 3 hours. I can knock out 15lbs of fillets, fries and puppies in <30.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Tigerloather on February 17, 2016, 08:24:59 pm
Is that a Cajun Cooker?  I bought a Bayou Classic Cooker from Hayneedle that is very similar.  Awesome for cooking fish & deer steak!
Mine is a Cajun I believe. It's actually not that pic I posted now that I've looked more. Saw it at Ft Thompson and told em to put it in my truck

pigture perfect

Try Jiffy corn muffin mix with a little salt pepper or Tony's.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

DeltaBoy

rcopela

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 18, 2016, 09:05:45 am

We did a fry last summer from fish we had caught in Florida, I used the Louisiana fish fry, found it in a gallon tub at Academy..no complaints 

DeltaBoy

This thread done flung a craving for some Catfish on me so I am going to go get some for Lunch tomorrow while the gals are out Prom Dress Shopping.