Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Blackeyed Peas NY 2016

Started by BR, December 28, 2015, 01:24:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BR

December 28, 2015, 01:24:42 pm Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 01:38:00 pm by BR
Who all does the Black Eyed Peas, Fried Taters, some greens and Jalapeno Sweet Cornbread for New Years?  Starting on mine today, need a couple of days of slo-cooking to make em right...  Got the red onions, 3 types of peppers, garlic, celery, rotel,  ham hocks, bacon and butter and BR's Rub all simmering right now..
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

HawgWild

We'll do a pot of black-eyed peas at my house. Cornbread on the side and some of Mrs. Wages bread n butter pickled jalapenos mixed in. Thanks pharm!

BR

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 28, 2015, 01:33:51 pm
You do get an early start don't you, BR?
They need to simmer a couple of days to make em right

Tim Harris

We have gone out to my Mother In Laws on New Years day since before my wife and I got married.  The first trip out there I was wondering what the big deal was.  Now a decade+ later I look forward to it.

Hog_Swanson

I use to hate black eye peas.  After years and years of being forced to eat them for good luck, I have finally started to like them.  Amazing how that works.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Boarcephus

I've never been a fan of blackeyed peas but I eat them once a year and that day is coming up.  I'll go all out and buy a can of Bush's blackeyed peas, some Petit Jean Hog Jowls and call that it. Cut up some hog jowl to throw in the peas along with some Zatarains and hot sauce (anything to disguise the taste to choke them down), fry the rest of it and force enough of the peas down to not have bad luck!  Probably be washing it down with some Jack and Coke and I'll be good to go. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

BR

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 28, 2015, 05:52:45 pm
I've never been a fan of blackeyed peas but I eat them once a year and that day is coming up.  I'll go all out and buy a can of Bush's blackeyed peas, some Petit Jean Hog Jowls and call that it. Cut up some hog jowl to throw in the peas along with some Zatarains and hot sauce (anything to disguise the taste to choke them down), fry the rest of it and force enough of the peas down to not have bad luck!  Probably be washing it down with some Jack and Coke and I'll be good to go. 
Drain the Black eye pea juice off of them.. Wash them then add a little stock to what you just said with some rotel thrown in...

Boarcephus

Quote from: BR on December 28, 2015, 05:56:23 pm
Drain the Black eye pea juice off of them.. Wash them then add a little stock to what you just said with some rotel thrown in...

Just not a blackeyed pea fan BR.  Do plan on going over to the Mexican Supermarket in Springdale with a $20 bill and head back to the meat counter and buy a pound each of 3 or 4 different meats and take them home and make some fajitas.  Man, that place smells great back there with all the marinated meats they have and they're pretty darn inexpensive. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 28, 2015, 06:12:27 pm
Just not a blackeyed pea fan BR.  Do plan on going over to the Mexican Supermarket in Springdale with a $20 bill and head back to the meat counter and buy a pound each of 3 or 4 different meats and take them home and make some fajitas.  Man, that place smells great back there with all the marinated meats they have and they're pretty darn inexpensive.
You have peaked my interest with this Mexican Supermarket.  Where in Springdale is this located?

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on December 29, 2015, 12:58:51 pm
You have peaked my interest with this Mexican Supermarket.  Where in Springdale is this located?

It's called the Super Mercado El Ranchito and it's located at 1900 West Huntsville Rd in Springdale.  It's the first exit north of the 412 exit off 49.  Turn back east and it's about a mile or so on the left.   Prices are great and you'll just find some different types of meat in there, some you'd like to try so you wouldn't.  ;)  I'll go by Saturday and pick up 2 or 3 types just to try them.

hoosier

Quote from: BR on December 28, 2015, 05:56:23 pm
I love black eye peas. I can eat them fresh out of the can. But I may try to boost the flavors some for the wife this year

BR

BR's Easy Crock-Pot Black Eye Peas...
6 cans Black Eye Peas
2 cans Rotel
2 Red Onions Diced
1 Green & Red & Yellow Peppers diced ( I love all the colors)
1 Teaspoon Red Pepper flakes
1 Tablespoon Cajun Seasoning ( I use Slap yo Mama)
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons dried thyme
2 teaspoons brown sugar
Some Garlic (I use a big heaping spoonful of the diced garlic)
1 Tablespoon Black Pepper
Some Ham Hocks or Ham.  1 pound at least (I cook a Christmas Ham, save ALL juices to add to Crock Pot) you can also throw some Bacon in there....... Put however as much as you want
2 cans Chicken or Ham Stock
If you need more Liquid you can add more stock.

Throw everything in crock pot. Cook on low for at least 8 hours, I cook mine overnight.
Serve with some Fried Taters, Spinach and some Jalapeno Sweet Cornbread.

BR

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 29, 2015, 06:30:20 pm
Dang, BR.  How many does that serve?  The Seventh Fleet?

...but damn that does sound good!
Not that many, I PIG out on em all NY Day... Then won't eat any till next NY..

Boarcephus

Hey BR!  This afternoon I bought my 1 can of Bush's Blackeyed Peas, 1 1/4 pound of Smithfield Smoke Hog Jowls, a half gallon of Jack Daniels and a 6 pack of Coke.  Good to go for New Years!

BR

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 29, 2015, 07:33:18 pm
Hey BR!  This afternoon I bought my 1 can of Bush's Blackeyed Peas, 1 1/4 pound of Smithfield Smoke Hog Jowls, a half gallon of Jack Daniels and a 6 pack of Coke.  Good to go for New Years!
Bless you my Brother....

Outoftownhog

We eat ours with rice and cabbage served with a side of beer

DeltaBoy

BEP with homemade bacon bits salt and black pepper.  Corn bread in Great grandma's 100 year old corn bread stick pans.

It was Good and I might have it again for Supper.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hog_Swanson

That recipe did it, BR.  I got the family to eat BEP's.  We had it straight up for lunch and over rice with a pork chop for dinner.  It was damn good.

By the way, it's going over scrambled eggs tomorrow morning.

BR

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on January 01, 2016, 10:41:36 pm
That recipe did it, BR.  I got the family to eat BEP's.  We had it straight up for lunch and over rice with a pork chop for dinner.  It was damn good.

By the way, it's going over scrambled eggs tomorrow morning.
Awesome............. I made a full Crockpot of them, might be a bowl left of mine..

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: BR on December 29, 2015, 06:09:18 pm
6 cans Black Eye Peas
2 cans Rotel
2 Red Onions Diced
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons dried thyme
2 teaspoons brown sugar
Some Ham Hocks or Ham.  1 pound at least (I cook a Christmas Ham, save ALL juices to add to Crock Pot) you can also throw some Bacon in there....... Put however as much as you want

Throw everything in crock pot. Cook on low for at least 8 hours, I cook mine overnight.
Serve with some Fried Taters, Spinach and some Jalapeno Sweet Cornbread.
You start out with canned peas and cook them overnight?  What is the texture like?

BR

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 04, 2016, 09:51:59 am
You start out with canned peas and cook them overnight?  What is the texture like?
They are fine, I cook them on low or warm...

DeltaBoy

Quote from: BR on January 04, 2016, 10:43:10 am
They are fine, I cook them on low or warm...

Thanks BR!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

BR

https://www.facebook.com/groups/brstikibarfoodpage/?tn-str=*F&fref=gs&dti=60665301904&hc_location=group_dialog

Almost time to start on my New Years Black Eyed Peas and Ham Hocks. With Fried Taters... Anyone else do this??? How do you cook yours?

6 cans Black Eye Peas
2 cans Rotel
2 Red Onions Diced
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons dried thyme
2 teaspoons brown sugar
Some Ham Hocks or Ham. 1 pound at least (I cook a Christmas Ham, save ALL juices to add to Crock Pot) you can also throw some Bacon in there....... Put however as much as you want

Serve with some Fried Taters, Spinach & cornbread

go hogues

I love New Years peas. I bring about 8 cups of water with 4 cut up strips of bacon to a boil, add two bags of black eye or purple hulk peas and liberally salt. I let all that boil for about 40 minutes, then simmer for a few hours. They get nice and mushy that way.

I serve over medium grain rice cooked in chicken broth.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />