Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pork Butts were on sale

Started by PharmacistHog, December 13, 2015, 02:45:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PharmacistHog

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

BR

That a boy, we got some for .99 a pound last week...   Food looks amazing..
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

PharmacistHog

They had whole pork loins on sale, too, for 1.48/lb. I bought one that was as big a loin as I've ever seen. It was 19.00 so its about 13lbs. Those pork butts may have been the best I have ever smoked and I didnt do anything much different than I ever do. The ONLY thing I did different was that I started them fat-cap up then when bottoms started getting lots of color I turned them to cut-side down to finish. Can't see where that would make any difference. Think I just got lucky.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

PorkRinds

I always do the fat cap up trick.  I figure that fat is melting down into the meat.  Then, like you, I'll flip it when the botton starts getting some color.

HawgWild

Looks like it's Bo Ssam time again!

Boog41

Daaammmmnnnn that looks tasty!! Good job Pharm!

DeltaBoy

I got one dusted with Head Country and Atkins Fatia Seasons  Browned it my Dutch oven  added onions and vel pepper some water and cooked it 2 hours at 275 covered and 1 hour at 350.  It came apart and we made pulled pork sliders with King Hawaiian Rolls.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Boog41

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 14, 2015, 10:41:32 am
I got one dusted with Head Country and Atkins Fatia Seasons  Browned it my Dutch oven  added onions and vel pepper some water and cooked it 2 hours at 275 covered and 1 hour at 350.  It came apart and we made pulled pork sliders with King Hawaiian Rolls.

Speaking of Hawaii, wonder how grilled pineapple would be on that Delta??

PharmacistHog

I intended to try something new and glaze one of the butts with some of the peach-jalapeno jelly I made this summer during the last few minutes I had them on, but I was busy mowing and burning leaves and forgot all about it.  Gotta try that next time.  I might use some of it on that gigantic pork loin I bought. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: PharmacistHog on December 14, 2015, 01:13:03 pm
I intended to try something new and glaze one of the butts with some of the peach-jalapeno jelly I made this summer during the last few minutes I had them on, but I was busy mowing and burning leaves and forgot all about it.  Gotta try that next time.  I might use some of it on that gigantic pork loin I bought.

That'd be fantastic on pork loin.  Better than on pulled pork if you ask me. 

PharmacistHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 14, 2015, 01:18:18 pm
That'd be fantastic on pork loin.  Better than on pulled pork if you ask me. 

Yeah, I have a recipe for a cilantro garlic pork loin that uses apricot preserves.  I'm gonna substitute my jalapeno/peach jelly and see how that works out.  It's bound to be better.

Boog41

Many fruit salsa's / jams are great on pork. I was asking about the pineapple for the same reason, I've just never tried it on pork. I was in Alaska once and had salmon sliders with grilled pineapple on them. They were out of this world good.

PorkRinds

Quote from: PharmacistHog on December 14, 2015, 01:29:16 pm
Yeah, I have a recipe for a cilantro garlic pork loin that uses apricot preserves.  I'm gonna substitute my jalapeno/peach jelly and see how that works out.  It's bound to be better.

Not a single chance in the world it's gonna be bad.  That sounds absolutely fantastic.  I've made some pork loin with grilled peaches on the side, and pork/peaches is a great combo.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Boog41 on December 14, 2015, 11:42:19 am
Speaking of Hawaii, wonder how grilled pineapple would be on that Delta??

We were out of Dole Sliced Pineapple this past weekend and I just did not want to run to the store to get any.

I like using pear preserves on them some times or Welchs Grape Jelly.  Fruit goes great with Pork.
I got some large cut Pork bone in Chops that are soaking since Sunday evening that weather and time premiting I will fire up the Weber and grill with some Kingsford and pecan wood.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Boog41

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 15, 2015, 09:32:44 am
We were out of Dole Sliced Pineapple this past weekend and I just did not want to run to the store to get any.

I like using pear preserves on them some times or Welchs Grape Jelly.  Fruit goes great with Pork.
I got some large cut Pork bone in Chops that are soaking since Sunday evening that weather and time premiting I will fire up the Weber and grill with some Kingsford and pecan wood.

That sounds really good...Been quite a long while since I've had a good chop.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Boog41 on December 15, 2015, 10:16:04 am
That sounds really good...Been quite a long while since I've had a good chop.

HEB been running all sorts of specials on Pork since the week before Thanksgiving so we been snapping it up cause a man can only eat so much Chicken and Turkey . 

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/market-pork-picnic-steak/372785

zane

Quote from: PharmacistHog on December 14, 2015, 01:29:16 pm

Almost always slather my pork loins with apricot jelly.

And to answer a question from above- there is nothing that grilled pineapple doesn't make better
RIP LSUfan

LSUFan

Pharm can't cook, don't let him lie to y'all.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

DeltaBoy

The wife broiled those chops last night before I got home but they were great.   

Boog41

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 15, 2015, 01:40:39 pm
HEB been running all sorts of specials on Pork since the week before Thanksgiving so we been snapping it up cause a man can only eat so much Chicken and Turkey . 

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/market-pork-picnic-steak/372785

Thanks Delta, I'll check that out.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: LSUFan on December 15, 2015, 10:44:48 pm
Pharm can't cook, don't let him lie to y'all.

Shhhhhhhhhhhh, I got 'em fooled.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: PharmacistHog on December 16, 2015, 02:41:29 pm
Shhhhhhhhhhhh, I got 'em fooled.

I tell folks I can't either that keeps the neighbors away.