Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Turkey Breast Marinade.

Started by DeltaBoy, November 30, 2015, 10:19:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

November 30, 2015, 10:19:03 am Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 12:09:53 pm by DeltaBoy
With our small family we did not do a whole bird this year but just a butterball Turkey Breast.

Since I was concerned about it drying out I gave it a 24 hour soak in Italian Salad Dressing one bottle, Water, salt pepper and 1/4 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar.
Thanksgiving day I pulled it out at 7 am and patted it dry , Oiled it and dusted it with Cavender's Greek, Poultry Seasons and Zatarain's Cajun seasoning on the Rack when I used a quart of Chicken stock , water and liquid smoke. 350 for 2 hours and I turned it half way through to get it nice and brown.  Pulled it wrapped in Foil and put in a small cooler till 11am.  We had 4 total and one slice left.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Boarcephus

Sounds good.  We went quick and easy this year.  I bought a smoked whole turkey at the Supercenter and went that way and IMO, that is hard to beat.  The flavor is great, it's moist and took a little over two hours to heat up. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Boarcephus on November 30, 2015, 11:07:40 am
Sounds good.  We went quick and easy this year.  I bought a smoked whole turkey at the Supercenter and went that way and IMO, that is hard to beat.  The flavor is great, it's moist and took a little over two hours to heat up. 

Yep now we went whole hog and did homemade Dressing, Green beans , mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce and dessert.  We were wore out.  So next year we will go to Albertsons and order our Thanksgiving meal or go to my parents.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Boarcephus

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 01, 2015, 08:44:53 am
Yep now we went whole hog and did homemade Dressing, Green beans , mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce and dessert.  We were wore out.  So next year we will go to Albertsons and order our Thanksgiving meal or go to my parents.

LOL!  Know what you mean.  The way we did it this year was easy.  Dressing is easy to put together as is the giblet gravy.  Warm up the turkey for a couple hours and we were good to go.   Will probably do it the same way next year. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

DeltaBoy

Amen My wife's family dressing is almost just like my side of the family except mine is made with more sage and a whole hen boiled and deboned mixed in. Both are a 2 day process.  So I understand that after we got married My late father in law always vetoed dressing and they made Stove Top stuffing instead.

PorkRinds

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 01, 2015, 01:23:41 pm
Amen My wife's family dressing is almost just like my side of the family except mine is made with more sage and a whole hen boiled and deboned mixed in. Both are a 2 day process.  So I understand that after we got married My late father in law always vetoed dressing and they made Stove Top stuffing instead.

Stove top stuffing would be laughed out of my family's thanksgiving.

Boarcephus

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 01, 2015, 01:52:33 pm
Stove top stuffing would be laughed out of my family's thanksgiving.

Dressing is the easiest thing to make on thanksgiving.  I just make a couple pans of cornbread, sautee onions and celery in butter, pour those in a big bowl with the crumbled up cornbread and add chicken meat, livers, boiled eggs, chicken broth and season with sage and salt and just keep adding whatever it needs till you get the taste and the consistency you like. 

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 01, 2015, 03:42:30 pm
Dressing is the easiest thing to make on thanksgiving.  I just make a couple pans of cornbread, sautee onions and celery in butter, pour those in a big bowl with the crumbled up cornbread and add chicken meat, livers, boiled eggs, chicken broth and season with sage and salt and just keep adding whatever it needs till you get the taste and the consistency you like. 
My Grandmother recipe is similar except for the eggs.

Silence O the Hams

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 01, 2015, 03:42:30 pm

Livers?  <Quivers>

DeltaBoy

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 04, 2015, 02:41:35 pm
My grandmother boiled them and ground them up!
We throw them in the gravy with the rest of the giblets and 1 hard boiled egg.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

dhornjr1

Quote from: Boarcephus on November 30, 2015, 11:07:40 am

I wondered how those pre-cooked ones were. With your recommendation, I might try one for Christmas.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on December 04, 2015, 05:48:01 pm
I wondered how those pre-cooked ones were. With your recommendation, I might try one for Christmas.

I'll be honest with you, I've smoked them on the egg and actually prefer this one over the ones I've smoked.  The only thing I'll do different next year is heat one up on the egg. 

DeltaBoy

We gotten them several times and they were all Good.

Biggus Piggus

Rub it in about 1.5 tablespoons of kosher salt plus some fresh, chopped rosemary, black pepper and sage. Put it in a plastic bag for a couple of days. Then cook it. Can't screw it up.
[CENSORED]!

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 05, 2015, 08:22:56 pm
Rub it in about 1.5 tablespoons of kosher salt plus some fresh, chopped rosemary, black pepper and sage. Put it in a plastic bag for a couple of days. Then cook it. Can't screw it up.

Sounds good.

HogCard

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 30, 2015, 10:19:03 am
With our small family we did not do a whole bird this year but just a butterball Turkey Breast.

Since I was concerned about it drying out I gave it a 24 hour soak in Italian Salad Dressing one bottle, Water, salt pepper and 1/4 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar.
Thanksgiving day I pulled it out at 7 am and patted it dry , Oiled it and dusted it with Cavender's Greek, Poultry Seasons and Zatarain's Cajun seasoning on the Rack when I used a quart of Chicken stock , water and liquid smoke. 350 for 2 hours and I turned it half way through to get it nice and brown.  Pulled it wrapped in Foil and put in a small cooler till 11am.  We had 4 total and one slice left.

Question.....I got lost where you said "rack when I used....".  Can you explain that part again? Did you actually have the turkey sitting in a pan with the chicken stock, water, smoke, etc or was that what you had in your water pan?  I'm thinking of doing something simple for just the wife and kids at Christmas since we will have several other large meals at other family members homes...

I have noticed when I do chicken on my smoker, there is so much fat that drips off that sucker, it keeps my smoker much cleaner if I just sit the bird in a foil pan.  As the fat drips off in the pan, it also keeps the bird very tasty and moist.

PorkRinds

Quote from: HogCard on December 08, 2015, 08:48:45 am

Question.....I got lost where you said "rack when I used....".  Can you explain that part again? Did you actually have the turkey sitting in a pan with the chicken stock, water, smoke, etc or was that what you had in your water pan?  I'm thinking of doing something simple for just the wife and kids at Christmas since we will have several other large meals at other family members homes...

I have noticed when I do chicken on my smoker, there is so much fat that drips off that sucker, it keeps my smoker much cleaner if I just sit the bird in a foil pan.  As the fat drips off in the pan, it also keeps the bird very tasty and moist.

I use a drip pan to keep most of the juices out of my smoker and keep it cleaner.  I've found I don't get that amazing crispy skin if I do a foil pan from the beginning on a chicken.  I've only done it once though.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: HogCard on December 08, 2015, 08:48:45 am

I bought a large turkey roasting pan with a stainless still rack about 10 years ago. It got put up one year after the holidays and I found it the week of Thanksgiving looking for something else.

I put the water and stock in the bottom of the roasting pan then set in the rack and place the turkey breast in the rack which holds the meat 3 inches above the liquid in the pan.

HogCard

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 08, 2015, 01:20:06 pm
I bought a large turkey roasting pan with a stainless still rack about 10 years ago. It got put up one year after the holidays and I found it the week of Thanksgiving looking for something else.

I put the water and stock in the bottom of the roasting pan then set in the rack and place the turkey breast in the rack which holds the meat 3 inches above the liquid in the pan.

Great.  I have a few just like that pan.  I use them to steam ribs when I am doing a quick baby back rib thingy.  I place the ribs on this rack and cover whole thing in foil.  Steam them for about an hour then throw them on a hot grill and sauce them as they finish.  Pretty tasty and tender for ribs that cook only a little over an hour.

I'm going to use your marinade and stock ideas and do a turkey breast.  Thanks

DeltaBoy

Quote from: HogCard on December 08, 2015, 02:43:41 pm

Great.  I have a few just like that pan.  I use them to steam ribs when I am doing a quick baby back rib thingy.  I place the ribs on this rack and cover whole thing in foil.  Steam them for about an hour then throw them on a hot grill and sauce them as they finish.  Pretty tasty and tender for ribs that cook only a little over an hour.

I'm going to use your marinade and stock ideas and do a turkey breast.  Thanks

Your welcome and I glad I found this pan I thought the wife had lost it or sold it in one of her Garage sales.