Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Beef tenderloin

Started by MO.Hog, November 04, 2015, 09:18:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MO.Hog

Question for you all. I've got a cook coming up and was going to try some delicious beef tenderloin. What I'm wondering is how much do these things cook down?  Also I will be doing this on my egg. Should I sear it and then use indirect heat to cook the rest of the way through?

Boog41

MO, it won't cook down a lot because there is hardly any fat in it. I would cook it just like a fillet and sear it first.  Then, finish on the egg.

PorkRinds

Two schools of thought. You could seer and finish indirect. Or you could do the reverse seer. Also called "the finney method".  Basically you cook it to 15 or so degrees under indirect and then let it rest a few minutes, crank up your heat, the seer at the end.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 05, 2015, 09:43:15 am
Two schools of thought. You could seer and finish indirect. Or you could do the reverse seer. Also called "the finney method".  Basically you cook it to 15 or so degrees under indirect and then let it rest a few minutes, crank up your heat, the seer at the end.

Reverse sear is easier to me on the egg because its WAY easier to crank up the heat rather than drop the heat. 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

HogCard

reverse sear is also easily done doing the first step in oven.  for a tenderloin, put in oven at about 275 until it gets to about 110 degrees, take out and throw on egg to sear and smoke.  Perfect every time.

PorkRinds

Quote from: PharmacistHog on November 05, 2015, 10:52:03 am
Reverse sear is easier to me on the egg because its WAY easier to crank up the heat rather than drop the heat.

This is true.  When I sear, I usually sear by dropping my direct grate over the flame pretty close, and then leave it at the higher temp to finish indirect.  I don't mess with changing temps.  But I only really do the reverse sear for thick cuts of meat.  In fact, it's the only way to go with a thick cut.  Id definitely suggest it for the tenderloin, but I'd also get a couple of thick rib eyes or something to try it first before I did it to a whole tenderloin.  That'd be an expensive mistake if it went bad...

PharmacistHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 05, 2015, 03:13:58 pm
This is true.  When I sear, I usually sear by dropping my direct grate over the flame pretty close, and then leave it at the higher temp to finish indirect.  I don't mess with changing temps.  But I only really do the reverse sear for thick cuts of meat.  In fact, it's the only way to go with a thick cut.  Id definitely suggest it for the tenderloin, but I'd also get a couple of thick rib eyes or something to try it first before I did it to a whole tenderloin.  That'd be an expensive mistake if it went bad...

I've got a 4lb boneless ribroast waiting to go on the egg when I get home from work. 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

MO.Hog

I think I will try the reverse sear.  Sounds good. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: PharmacistHog on November 05, 2015, 03:23:31 pm
I've got a 4lb boneless ribroast waiting to go on the egg when I get home from work.

That thing looked fierce.