Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tri Tip

Started by Pulled(PP)pork, December 26, 2013, 08:00:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pulled(PP)pork

Best damn slab of meat to ever grace my plate.....and can't find it anywhere other than California, @%^&&*#$&%$#$^(%%^#$#$(!!

PP

Rockpig5

wholehog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on December 26, 2013, 08:00:51 am

Best damn slab of meat to ever grace my plate.....and can't find it anywhere other than California, @%^&&*#$&%$#$^(%%^#$#$(!!

PP
Are you in NWA?  There are several places that sell it up here.

Pulled(PP)pork

in W. Tn, we can get it from a butcher, but he wants $11-13/lb and it doesn't look the same as how we buy it when in Cali

the Cali version comes already dry rubbed

PP

acxken

I buy them in conway at harps. And they are awesome
Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

acxken

Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

acxken

pigture perfect

I buy them at my Harp's as well.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

pigture perfect

Last one I bought, the wife stuck in the crockpot. She wanted to surprise me when I got home from work. She did.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

acxken

The first one I did was overcooked and tough.  I cooked it indirect. The second one I did was cooked direct like a steak to an internal temp of 130. It was great.

acxken

How do you cook yours?

cosmodrum

Quote from: acxken on January 03, 2014, 08:30:13 pm
I buy them in conway at harps. And they are awesome

Didn't know they had them. Thanks!
Go away, batin'

acxken

If you are in conway they keep them frozen in the back. You have to ask for them.

/sarcasm on

I'm glad to know harp's has them. My wife is from Cali, and one of my favourite parts of each visit is the tri tip!

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: /sarcasm on on January 11, 2014, 07:45:42 pm
I'm glad to know harp's has them. My wife is from Cali, and one of my favourite parts of each visit is the tri tip!
Tri Tip Salad, Tri Tip Sammich......mmmmmm, good

PP

Hog Without A Cause

Dear God!!! That looks good!!!   

DeltaBoy

It is good we see them some in some restaurants here in DFW!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Inhogswetrust

It is a bottom sirloin. If you can't get it try a top sirloin. Lot's of recipe's out there but usually grilled or smoked.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

zane

Quote from: pigture perfect on January 03, 2014, 08:35:54 pm
Last one I bought, the wife stuck in the crockpot. She wanted to surprise me when I got home from work. She did.

That's grounds for divorce- it's in the Bible
RIP LSUfan

cosmodrum

Quote from: acxken on January 11, 2014, 07:42:32 pm
If you are in conway they keep them frozen in the back. You have to ask for them.

They actually had them out and thawed. Bought two of them and DAMMMNNNN they were good.
Go away, batin'

Pulled(PP)pork

headed back to cali in may, will be loading up 2 thermal handbags with these beauties

PP

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

thebignasty

They're even good cut into steaks. It's a nice flavorful cheap cut of beef.

cosmodrum

I'm due for another tri tip.
Go away, batin'

Filthy_McSwine

Anyone know where to get one in Central Ark?  Kroger supposedly has them but it must be hit and miss because they've been out every time I've checked.

Break & Run

Quote from: Filthy_McSwine on April 21, 2014, 04:06:06 pm
Anyone know where to get one in Central Ark?  Kroger supposedly has them but it must be hit and miss because they've been out every time I've checked.

Where is Central Ark for you?

Harps in Conway has them in the back.

Weldon's Meat Market in Hot Springs is where I've got them in the past.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

Filthy_McSwine

Quote from: Break & Run on April 21, 2014, 04:18:29 pm
Where is Central Ark for you?

Harps in Conway has them in the back.

Weldon's Meat Market in Hot Springs is where I've got them in the past.

Maumelle.  Conway is just a short drive up the road.

Thanks.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on December 26, 2013, 08:00:51 am

PP

My tummy grumbles ever time I see this picture.

/sarcasm on

It may be something in every harps. I recently moved to bryant, and the harps on 5 in Benton has them too

DadVader1

That's good to know!  I don't have a Harps nearby in LR, so the Harps on 5 is where I go to stock up on Ozark Oak.  I'll have to look for a tri tip on my next trip too.

DeltaBoy

My HEB butcher said he would cut me some Tri tips he just needed 24 hours notice.

Dropkick

Got one at Kroger in West Memphis yesterday. Gonna grill it tonight on the egg. Any suggestions on how hot for how long?

civilHOG

Quote from: Dropkick on May 06, 2014, 01:53:51 pm
Got one at Kroger in West Memphis yesterday. Gonna grill it tonight on the egg. Any suggestions on how hot for how long?

I picked up a two pack at Sam's yesterday (first time to try them) that I'm planning on doing a reverse sear on my egg.

I'll put it on the egg at about 275-300 with some hickory until it reaches an internal temp of probably 110-115. Take it off and let it rest while I "open-er-up" then sear until it reaches the internal temp of 130-135 with the final target of 135-140 after the final rest. 

I've also read several posts that have people have cooked direct at around 400 until it reaches their target internal temp but I've had great success with the reverse sear method so I'm going to give it a shot. 

Good Luck!

PharmacistHog

Well here's my attempt ( thanks to porkryan for the tips/pointers) was also a reverse sear.

Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

PorkRinds

Quote from: PharmacistHog on May 18, 2014, 10:30:50 pm
Well here's my attempt ( thanks to porkryan for the tips/pointers) was also a reverse sear.

Your first attempt looks way better than mine did, I assure you!

DadVader1

PharmacistHog, that is a thing of beauty!  I'm going to have to try one of those soon.  I'll probably try a reverse sear about like I do with beef tenderloins.  Did you end up with any notes about what you might do the same & what you might do differently next time.  It looks like you nailed it, so I'm guessing the list of things you might do differently is pretty short!

PharmacistHog

Quote from: DadVader1 on May 19, 2014, 04:25:52 pm
PharmacistHog, that is a thing of beauty!  I'm going to have to try one of those soon.  I'll probably try a reverse sear about like I do with beef tenderloins.  Did you end up with any notes about what you might do the same & what you might do differently next time.  It looks like you nailed it, so I'm guessing the list of things you might do differently is pretty short!

I didn't know that you were supposed to cut it 3 different directions.  I let it rest longer than I intended for the sear because I got busy practicing baseball with my little boy.  It rest 45 minutes before I seared it.  Other than that, wouldn't change a thing. 
Millennials suck...

Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

Hogwop

Damn Pharm, that looks good.

Shouldn't look at threads like this when I'm hungry.
Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.
9-07-1958 - 12-2-2011 R.I.P Mom, I will always miss you and love you.

PharmacistHog

Thanks. I love cooking. My egg gets used a LOT. SOOOOO worth the money.
Millennials suck...

LSUFan

I just worchestershired
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

Tim Harris

I will be cooking up a tri tip for dinner tonight.  I'm really surprised some of you guys have so many issues getting them.  I'm in Harrison and can walk in to the local grocery store and pick one up on the way home from work pretty much any time.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Tim Harris on May 20, 2014, 09:03:07 am
I will be cooking up a tri tip for dinner tonight.  I'm really surprised some of you guys have so many issues getting them.  I'm in Harrison and can walk in to the local grocery store and pick one up on the way home from work pretty much any time.

It is strange Tim that we can not just walk in and buy them here in TX or in Ark. I am going to visit some other stores and see if they have them.  We have a Albertsons and Kroger in Town.

Filthy_McSwine

Quote from: civilHOG on May 06, 2014, 02:49:22 pm
I picked up a two pack at Sam's yesterday (first time to try them) that I'm planning on doing a reverse sear on my egg.

Do you mind telling me how it's labeled?  I saw a 2 pack of something that looked like what y'all are cooking but it did not say "tri tip".

PharmacistHog

Bottom sirloin (I think). 
Millennials suck...

PorkRinds

Quote from: PharmacistHog on May 20, 2014, 01:32:43 pm

Yep, that's another common name for it. 

Filthy_McSwine

Quote from: PharmacistHog on May 20, 2014, 01:32:43 pm

Thx.  I think that's what was on the label.

DeltaBoy

Good to know cause my butcher gave me a funny look when I asked about getting some Tri-tips!

PharmacistHog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 21, 2014, 08:22:16 am
Good to know cause my butcher gave me a funny look when I asked about getting some Tri-tips!

Find a new butcher.  Maybe you just THOUGHT you've been cooking chicken all these years..............
Millennials suck...

Pulled(PP)pork

Lo and behold, the Lord spoketh and I found one at the local grocery store. Put some dry rub on it and will cook it for Memorial Day

Thank you 8lb baby jesus in a manger

PP

DeltaBoy

Quote from: PharmacistHog on May 21, 2014, 01:17:10 pm
Find a new butcher.  Maybe you just THOUGHT you've been cooking chicken all these years..............

We do love our Bird at my Casa.  But I got dogs, pork chops, and burgers on tap for Monday.