Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pork Shoulder

Started by 3putt, May 15, 2012, 09:19:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Slacker

Quote from: Shag66 on June 24, 2012, 04:49:45 pm
please make sure she knows this..

I'm almost positive that she has a differing opinion most days...

I saw her ride a jack-a-lope once. You have some big shoes to fill.

DeltaBoy

Well boys thanks for all the free advice!  I got to get one and fire up the Weber for the 4th.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ImHogginIt

Bumping three year old thread cause there was a lot of good info in it  :razorback:

Hog_Swanson

Good bump.  I find myself searching the older pages for some ideas also.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

DeltaBoy

Pork Shoulder roast and boston butts have been on sale and we have been cooking one nearly every weekend.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

rcopela

This recipe hasn't failed me yet.. this is the pic. in my avatar

Pork Butt
Rub with Cavenders and Head Country Seasoning mixed ½ & ½
Smoke uncovered 3 hrs. around 200 – 225 degrees
Coat with ½ Head Country BBQ sauce and ½ Honey
Smoke another hour
Pull from Smoker, double wrap with foil and place in aluminum pan
Cook 2 hours in oven at 325

DeltaBoy

Quote from: rcopela on January 14, 2016, 12:57:58 pm
This recipe hasn't failed me yet.. this is the pic. in my avatar

Pork Butt
Rub with Cavenders and Head Country Seasoning mixed ½ & ½
Smoke uncovered 3 hrs. around 200 – 225 degrees
Coat with ½ Head Country BBQ sauce and ½ Honey
Smoke another hour
Pull from Smoker, double wrap with foil and place in aluminum pan
Cook 2 hours in oven at 325

Sounds good.

RazorWild

Good thread.  I've cooked a ton of Butts mainly cuz it's one of my favorites.  I use a green egg, but anyone can smoke a butt with any decent smoker.  So here's my 2 cents:

I don't inject or brine.  I feel it's a waste of time.  Pork is so fatty as is so smoking for pulled pork always produces juicy results.  I've tried both ways and see no difference.

Woods.  Wood chips are also a waste IMHO.  Wood chunks seem to work better.  I like fruit woods like apple or cherry on pork.  As for lump, I like a dense lump like Wicked Good.  I can fill the Egg up, smoke over 24 hours, and never add lump during cook.  In fact I typically have enough left for a couple steak or chicken cooks.

Rub.  I slather with mustard and rub with just about anything.  I like Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust but really anything is good.

Cook.  Indirect at 250 till you hit 190-205 (when meat feels like hot butter when probing for temp).  My low slow butts take anywhere from 18-24 hrs depending on size of butt

Turbo Butt.  Yes you cook excellent butts in 5-7 hours with hot/fast cook and foil.  Most normal people can't tell a difference, but I personally prefer a low slow butt and the tasty bark it creates.

Lastly, a butt is not the ass end of a pig.  It's a cut of of the shoulder. 🍻

I get 2 forks and shred apart

Pork Nachos is what I like

ImHogginIt

Quote from: RazorWild on February 14, 2016, 08:54:18 am
Good thread.  I've cooked a ton of Butts mainly cuz it's one of my favorites.  I use a green egg, but anyone can smoke a butt with any decent smoker.  So here's my 2 cents:

I don't inject or brine.  I feel it's a waste of time.  Pork is so fatty as is so smoking for pulled pork always produces juicy results.  I've tried both ways and see no difference.

Woods.  Wood chips are also a waste IMHO.  Wood chunks seem to work better.  I like fruit woods like apple or cherry on pork.  As for lump, I like a dense lump like Wicked Good.  I can fill the Egg up, smoke over 24 hours, and never add lump during cook.  In fact I typically have enough left for a couple steak or chicken cooks.

Rub.  I slather with mustard and rub with just about anything.  I like Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust but really anything is good.

Cook.  Indirect at 250 till you hit 190-205 (when meat feels like hot butter when probing for temp).  My low slow butts take anywhere from 18-24 hrs depending on size of butt

Turbo Butt.  Yes you cook excellent butts in 5-7 hours with hot/fast cook and foil.  Most normal people can't tell a difference, but I personally prefer a low slow butt and the tasty bark it creates.

Lastly, a butt is not the ass end of a pig.  It's a cut of of the shoulder. 🍻

I get 2 forks and shred apart

Pork Nachos is what I like

Good post.

I just put four 9 pound boston butts on the Weber Smokey Mountain. I slathered on the mustard and used a combination of Bad Byron's and Plowboys rubs. It is very windy today in the Dallas area so I'm not gonna waste time fighting temp. It will be hard to keep temp down so looking at smoking around 275 degrees for around 5-6 hrs then the temp usually starts to fall. Hope to get 7-8 hrs on smoker before temp on one load of coals drops below 225. I'll then put them in the oven with foil and finish them off at about 235 until they reach 200 internal

RazorWild

Sounds like u have a party in the works hoggnit.  Enjoy

ImHogginIt

Quote from: RazorWild on February 14, 2016, 10:21:11 am
Sounds like u have a party in the works hoggnit.  Enjoy

Nope. Just like to have a freezer full of pulled pork to eat on the next month