Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

IF you are a young up and coming HC, why would you come to Arkansas?

Started by hogsanity, November 07, 2017, 09:44:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Think about it. I have just spent 2-5 years building the program I am at now, and I am a hot name in the coaching world. Why, knowing what is readily available about Arkansas - the small recruiting base, the competition in the secw, the average tenure of a coach at AR being about 4.5 years, playing in the sec, plus all the other jobs that may be open, why would I take the AR job?

And please, do not tell me because of the great fans, great facilities, great town, lots of places have all of those things and more.

Try to take your hog glasses off for a minute and look at this from the view of someone thinking about taking the job.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

island hog

with the exception of the recruiting base note, the same could be said for most all other schools in the SEC and around the country. 

hogsanity

Quote from: island hog on November 07, 2017, 09:46:56 am
with the exception of the recruiting base note, the same could be said for most all other schools in the SEC and around the country. 

So why put yourself into tighter corner than you will a ready be in taking most other jobs?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hogsenburg

Quote from: hogsanity on November 07, 2017, 09:44:45 am
Think about it. I have just spent 2-5 years building the program I am at now, and I am a hot name in the coaching world. Why, knowing what is readily available about Arkansas - the small recruiting base, the competition in the secw, the average tenure of a coach at AR being about 4.5 years, playing in the sec, plus all the other jobs that may be open, why would I take the AR job?

And please, do not tell me because of the great fans, great facilities, great town, lots of places have all of those things and more.

Try to take your hog glasses off for a minute and look at this from the view of someone thinking about taking the job.

I wouldn't. plain and simple

ricepig

hawganatic

You have these same issues at 90% of the schools out there.  Unless  one of the elite schools has an opening, and a "young up and coming HC" catches their eye, they are probably going to have a lot to deal with regardless of what job to take.

Besides, if you come to Arkansas and get fired for not succeeding, you walk away with several million in the bank.  You either win and become a legend, or you lose and become a millionaire. 

Not rocket science here...

hogsanity

Torqued pork

Oh look everyone. Mr. I'm Going to Piss in Your Cheerios Every Chance I Get, has started another thread.

jrulz83

Because coaches believe they can succeed.

They believe their own lies. They have to.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

King Kong

Please. Sitting NFL Head coaches leave for our job. 3 time P5 conference champions leave for this job.

Coaches know they can win here, we don't expect to win the conference every year but expect to compete every few, we pay extremely, good facilities and if a coach can actually recruit LA ane TX here our recruiting base isn't that bad considering we land 90% of our top instate players.

ricepig

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Torqued pork on November 07, 2017, 09:51:28 am
Oh look everyone. Mr. I'm Going to Piss in Your Cheerios Every Chance I Get, has started another thread.
+1

hogsanity

Quote from: King Kong on November 07, 2017, 09:52:07 am
Please. Sitting NFL Head coaches leave for our job. 3 time P5 conference champions leave for this job.

here our recruiting base isn't that bad considering we land 90% of our top instate players.

90% of 5 is not many players.

King Kong

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Why not..?
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

1highhog

I wouldn't take it.  We do not have a good fan base regardless of what we may think of ourselves.  With our small recruiting base of operations compared to the rest of the SEC teams, there's just no way to consistently bring in top 20 recruiting classes and to me that's what's needed to compete for titles.

Razorbackers

It's basically the same answer as to why we haven't fired Bret yet.

First of all, you'll work for an AD that will support you. Even when you're a raging piece of crap like BP, who Long clearly didn't like, he had the full support of the Athletic department. Bielema has failed here. But the AD isn't bashing him in the press. He's letting the coach do his job, even when the coach is doing a bad job, and the department isn't caving to fan pressures to clear house while the season is still going on.

You'll get straight paid, son. Arkansas pays their coaches well, and if you can have success, even moderately, you can make the big bucks.

The roster isn't bare. Lots of young talent with experience coming back next year. Bielema will leave behind a team without an excess of off the field issues. There won't be a need for a total rebuild like after BP/JLS.

You can win here. BP showed it. Nutt showed it. Heck, even CBB kinda showed it in 2015. The west isn't what it used to be. Saban is approaching retirement. If a coach can get in here, set up shop, and be established when Saban leaves, then the west will open up for them.

There are plenty of reasons to see Arkansas as a prime spot to further a coaching career. You can get paid extremely well, and be in a fairly high profile position. 

King Kong

Quote from: hogsanity on November 07, 2017, 09:53:08 am
90% of 5 is not many players.

We have more than 5 each year.

This is a bad year and we have 7 SEC caliber players.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

You cant take that away though. Our facilities are on par with anyone in the SEC. I've been inside the athletic complex I've seen everything the players and coaches have access to. We may not have a tier 1 product on the field but we do have tier 1 facilities.

We have an administration willing to put you on par with the highest paid coaches in the country, we doubled BB's annual salary when he came here.
Were in the SEC, the most prominent conference in college football. Is it difficult to win? Absolutely, but good coaches are very confident of their abilities. They want the spotlight and the challenge so they can prove themselves to the world.
Our recruiting isn't as bad as many try to make it either. We produce several skill players in this state. There may not be very many quality linemen most years, but texas is a short drive away and should supply most of what you need if you don't go in and piss the coaches off the way bielema did

The poor little Arkansas attitude has to be challenged if we're ever going to achieve anything of note
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Razorbackers

Nafunu32

Young coaches do this for the same reason kids go to Bama knowing the competition is harder than other places. They feel that they are good enough to make it work. In my opinion, you don't get to bigger and better places without believing in yourself and the work you are able to do.

Dwillhog66

Because of ego and confidence. If a coach doesn't have those he isn't going to be successful and because he does have those he will believe he can overcome those problems you speak of.

island hog

I can see the Razorback job as being a diamond in the rough type for a coach who thinks he can pull in players from Texas and Louisiana too.  There are jobs like this around the country ( Boise State, Arizona, Okie Lite, Wisconsin, Nebraska,etc.) that have significant potential with the right combination of coach and scheme. 

Grizzlyfan

Because if you are at Memphis, SMU, Central Florida, etc. your good fortunes could turn south any time.  You can go from 10-2 to 6-6 in the blink of an eye.  So you strike while the iron is hot.  And that means taking one of the prime time jobs that are available at the time.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on November 07, 2017, 09:56:53 am
Why do fired coaches continue to live here? 

Because it is cheap to live here. Because. for someone of that age Arkansas is a great place. Because they have made relationships here, as have their wife, and their children. That is a totally different set of parameters than a 18 yr old kid looking to move away from home to play football, or  35ish yr old coach looking to make the leap to a big time p5 conference.

Ironhawg

Quote from: Torqued pork on November 07, 2017, 09:51:28 am

+1.  I don't know why he is even here.

hogsanity

Quote from: Nafunu32 on November 07, 2017, 09:58:43 am
Young coaches do this for the same reason kids go to Bama knowing the competition is harder than other places. They feel that they are good enough to make it work. In my opinion, you don't get to bigger and better places without believing in yourself and the work you are able to do.

Quote from: Dwillhog66 on November 07, 2017, 09:59:02 am
Because of ego and confidence. If a coach doesn't have those he isn't going to be successful and because he does have those he will believe he can overcome those problems you speak of.

Quote from: island hog on November 07, 2017, 10:00:04 am
I can see the Razorback job as being a diamond in the rough type for a coach who thinks he can pull in players from Texas and Louisiana too.  There are jobs like this around the country ( Boise State, Arizona, Okie Lite, Wisconsin, Nebraska,etc.) that have significant potential with the right combination of coach and scheme. 

These answers are all good. The reason for a coach taking this job have to come from within the man, he has to be willing to risk it because there are other places where it is going to be easier to win.

KennyForAD

Why do you people argue with that DBag?   Don't you know he's paid by Long to Frank with you?

hogsanity

Quote from: Ironhawg on November 07, 2017, 10:03:07 am
+1.  I don't know why he is even here.

At least I would never hope the Hogs would lose a game.....................

Wildhog

Money.

Bielema's made ~4 mil/year for five years, and will get at least another $5M in a buyout. 

People work to make money, and I have to think 25 million dollars sounds good to anyone.

Also, as you've mentioned, the cost of living in Arkansas is low. 

Obviously we aren't the only program that can offer that, but it's still an attractive position.  Attractive enough to be able to hire a good coach.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: hogsanity on November 07, 2017, 10:01:36 am
Because it is cheap to live here. Because. for someone of that age Arkansas is a great place. Because they have made relationships here, as have their wife, and their children. That is a totally different set of parameters than a 18 yr old kid looking to move away from home to play football, or  35ish yr old coach looking to make the leap to a big time p5 conference.

Is it?  You asked why an up-and-comer coach might want to come here and you don't want any answers?  And now you're talking about recruiting? 

You can win here at a level that is acceptable to the fanbase.  You will be compensated at nearly the highest level.  Fayetteville is a great town, and a great place to raise a family.  You get to compete against the best in college football.  The University continues to grow in reputation, and you can go recruit Texas (if you commit to it!).   

parallaxpig

noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

ipigsooie

You know you will get at least 5 years to build your program and the money is comparable to any other job that will be hiring and up and comer if not more. Another thing that is rarely mentioned is ego. These guys have never failed. Every job they have had they have been successful. For them, failure is not an option so they dont view a job like arkansas as an opportunity for failure . Do you want a guy that is scared to come because he is scared of failure? I think that these young coaches would see this as an incredible opportunity.  Especially a guy that has ties and a fondness for our state. From the southern tip to the northern tip of the state, allegiance to the u of a's loyalty is undivided and that is not something you see a lot of places. As you mentioned,  we do have great facilities and nwa is a great area to live.

Im not saying that every up and coming coach would choose us over another school. It has to be the right situation. For example, Frost would choose UF or Nebraska over us, and morris would choose a&m over us. I think norvell chooses us over ut ot ole miss. Each coach has his own individual situation or comfort zone, but for at least one up and comer i dont see anyway he turns down this job if it is offered (which i hope that it is).

The Hawg Marshal

hogsanity

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on November 07, 2017, 10:09:07 am

You can win here at a level that is acceptable to the fanbase.  You will be compensated at nearly the highest level.  Fayetteville is a great town, and a great place to raise a family.  You get to compete against the best in college football.  The University continues to grow in reputation, and you can go recruit Texas (if you commit to it!).   

That can be said of many places that will be hiring.

hamARchy in the USA

Sure.  They could always wait around for a job to come open at a place like Alabama where they could hope to replace a legend.

KennyForAD

Quote from: hogsanity on November 07, 2017, 10:05:20 am
At least I would never hope the Hogs would lose a game.....................

Everything you say is a lie.  Go suck Jeff Long's water hose

theFlyingHog

Why do some guys have sex with hookers? Because that's all they can get, as you well know, hogsanity. Some people aren't whiny little girls like you and want a challenge. We haven't had success in a while so some coaches see that they can be the hero if they win here. It's a small state and they'll be The Guy if they win here. You're The Guy right now here but not the good The Guy, you're The Guy everyone laughs at.

jst01

Quote from: Nafunu32 on November 07, 2017, 09:58:43 am

good as reason as any. Confidence that I can do what others cant, be a long-term success story.  If you just sit and cry about historical trends and believe that to be the fact forever, how does anything EVER improve? Because people refuse to believe that progress isn't impossible.

Dropkick

I bet Iowa State fans are glad Matt Campbell doesn't think like you.........................................

hogsanity

Some of you get it. It has EVERYTHING to do with the guy taking the job, and very little to do with the job itself.

Joe_Shmo

It's real simple....if a team like Oklahoma State can have sustained success, Arkansas sure as fvck can too. Good coaches know that and will be lining up to take this job if/when it becomes available.  Just watch and see....

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: hogsanity on November 07, 2017, 10:13:30 am
That can be said of many places that will be hiring.

Oh really?  Can that be said at UF?  Fired a 2-time division champion.  At Auburn? You can be fired for going 10-2 but losing to Bama.  How about Phil Fulmer getting fired at Tenn and the 10-year dumpster fire that's created?  Is UTenn that different than UA?   Les Miles at LSU?  They just replaced him with the exact same guy and are losing the exact same games. 

You're asking why anyone would take this job, but you don't think there are any good reasons. 

IronHog

Little man sydrome runs deep in you

Go buy a diesel pickup and get off HV
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

casken

Quote from: IronHog on November 07, 2017, 10:51:35 am

Little man sydrome runs deep in you

Go buy a diesel pickup and get off HV

...has nothing to do with it. Hold the cliches fro a moment and reflect. Post displays a bit of common sense. I suspect the answer/positive outcome would be "Arkansas ties", without which, the options may be bleak at best. That is especially so when many schools look to be in the market as well.

For the record I am hoping for a change as well but one must look (intently and honestly) before leaping!
"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

Piggfoot

$4,000,000 times 6 years. That would fix most people for life.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.