Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bud Walton Arena

Started by mizzouman, November 06, 2017, 03:29:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mizzouman

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/nov/05/cover-story-the-bud-turns-25-20171105/

Missouri was selected for the game at which Walton was honored in a pregame ceremony because he previously lived in Columbia, Mo., and attended Hickman High School.

A sellout crowd announced at 20,212 watched the Razorbacks beat the Tigers 120-68.

It was the most-lopsided loss ever for Missouri and Coach Norm Stewart, who had been 5-0 against Arkansas in Barnhill Arena.

"After the game, Norm said, 'You've either got a hell of a team or we're just awfully damn bad,' " Richardson said. "I said, 'No Norm, you've got a good team. It was just one of those nights where everything we did was right and everything you did was wrong.' "

The Razorbacks hit 42 of 71 shots (59.2 percent), including 16 of 25 three-point attempts.

"We could have kicked the ball in the basket that night," Richardson said. "Our guys were pumped up to play, and I think the fans were really pumped up as well.

"Boy, when they threw the ball up, right off the bat we went to work. Everybody we put in the game was knocking down shots."

Missouri hit 1 of 11 three-pointers and had 27 turnovers. Fourteen Razorbacks scored and seven hit at least one three-point basket. Scotty Thurman led Arkansas with 18 points and hit 4 of 5 three-pointers. Corliss Williamson scored 14 points and Roger Crawford 13.

Richardson offered encouraging words for Missouri and its fans after the game.

"Missouri was not a very good basketball team tonight, but I think they will be," Richardson said. "Sometimes the buzzsaw hits you."

Richardson was right about the Tigers. Missouri won the Big Eight championship with a 14-0 record and like Arkansas was a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament.
The Tigers almost had a rematch with the Razorbacks at the 1994 Final Four in Charlotte, N.C., but Arizona beat Missouri in the West Regional final.

A reporter found Stewart at the coaches' hotel in Charlotte to ask him about an Arkansas-Arizona matchup since the teams were meeting in the national semifinals.
"Well, it's hard for me to compare the teams," Stewart said. "Because the night we played Arkansas, the game was in Fayetteville, but our team was in Little Rock."

razorhead94

Great read.  Been a razorback fan my whole life in all sports but I'll say to this day nothing compares to a sold out BWA crowd in a big game.  Nothing
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

HawgsPolo

Epic meeting with Mr. Walton
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

TexHog188

I was there. Awesome night of Hogball.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

navyhog24

I miss those days. I really do hope MA is able to stay here and get the UA to that level again. If anyone deserves it, it's him.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: navyhog24 on November 06, 2017, 05:24:18 pm
I miss those days. I really do hope MA is able to stay here and get the UA to that level again. If anyone deserves it, it's him.
THIS
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

gmarv

Quote from: navyhog24 on November 06, 2017, 05:24:18 pm
I agree with everything you just said.

mhuff

In those days I didn't even mind sitting one row from the top. It was a happening

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: razorhead94 on November 06, 2017, 04:13:48 pm
Great read.  Been a razorback fan my whole life in all sports but I'll say to this day nothing compares to a sold out BWA crowd in a big game.  Nothing

I agree wholeheartedly! I love arkansas basketball when it's hot! I like football but when the hogs get cooking in the bud there is NOTHING like it.  Auburn 99 still gives me chills.

Hogsolo

Just an awesome experience that those that weren't around can't understand.   I never expected us to lose after the run and the crowd going through the roof!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: TexHog188 on November 06, 2017, 04:48:05 pm

One of the best games I've ever attended. There were some Mizzou fans sitting next to us. When a really loud Hog Call rang out they looked around with eyes as big and awestruck as basketballs!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: mhuff on November 06, 2017, 06:34:23 pm
In those days I didn't even mind sitting one row from the top. It was a happening
First game I ever saw in the Bud was in 1994.  Our seat were 2nd row from the top and I could see everything.  There wasn't an empty seat in the house.  I thought the crowd was going to blow the roof off of that place.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Im a year older than bud Walton, so I was a little fella when Richardson took us to the national championship. My earliest memories of Hog basketball were during the Pelphrey years. I'm ready to experience the greatness of Arkansas basketball that you guys talk about and I hope that this is the season where coach Anderson is able to get us there
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Wooderson

It was a magical night.  I was there in the nose bleed section with the most important/influential person I have had in my life, my uncle.  He was like a father to me and Razorback basketball provided so many wonderful bonding times together.  Forever grateful for that. 

If I remember right Corliss made the first bucket and at some point the lights went off briefly after the place erupted.  It was easily the biggest beat down I have seen a great team give a very good team.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

Dwight_K_Shrute

Fans got to do there part and go to the games.  Go early and often don't just sit back and wait to see if they win, help them get those wins.  Young team going to need that crowd support early.  Just got my tickets to Samford game. WPS.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 07, 2017, 02:12:30 pm
Fans got to do there part and go to the games.  Go early and often don't just sit back and wait to see if they win, help them get those wins.  Young team going to need that crowd support early.  Just got my tickets to Samford game. WPS.
In the #Fastest40 style the crowds has a huge part so yes fill the dang Bud! Starting Friday night!
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

98hogs

I was at the game and I knew that we would win the national championship.  I think everyone there did too.

hobhog

Was at last Barnhill game and first BWA game. Both places were awesome but I'd put Barnhill in first due to student section. If you ever went to game there you know what I mean.

Arky

Quote from: hobhog on November 07, 2017, 06:59:56 pm
Was at last Barnhill game and first BWA game. Both places were awesome but I'd put Barnhill in first due to student section. If you ever went to game there you know what I mean.
barnhill atmosphere was awesome

Tusks

Quote from: Arky on November 07, 2017, 07:11:11 pm
barnhill atmosphere was awesome

Robkkin helped a lot.  That was an orchestrated mad house.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

hobhog

Quote from: tusked on November 07, 2017, 08:07:37 pm
Robkkin helped a lot.  That was an orchestrated mad house.

Student section from half court all the way around to behind basket, court side to rafters. Always packed and standing.

Hawg414

Quote from: Jborohog09 on November 07, 2017, 04:53:45 pm

considering Missouri went on to go undefeated in the Big Eight at 14-0 and was also a #1 seed in the NCAAT, this is probably the most impressive beatdown in modern college basketball. 

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Hawg414 on November 08, 2017, 03:00:28 pm
considering Missouri went on to go undefeated in the Big Eight at 14-0 and was also a #1 seed in the NCAAT, this is probably the most impressive beatdown in modern college basketball.
man it's crazy how Anderson can still bring this stuff, he knows it so well, you'd think it would be so hard with the way refs call games these days

Hogwop

Quote from: TexHog188 on November 06, 2017, 04:48:05 pm

Same. One of my fondest memories, being there with my dad. It was the epitome of Hawgball
Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.
9-07-1958 - 12-2-2011 R.I.P Mom, I will always miss you and love you.

Potosihog

People stood the whole game except for timeouts back then.  I don't ever remember anybody telling us to sit down.

Been to a few games where I had trouble hearing for hours after it was over.

sage_dragoon

i was about 15 laying in my living room floor listening to the game in the dark. We didn't have cable. Fell asleep near halftime and woke up near the end thinking DAMN we took off in the 2nd half.
XBox360 - SageDragoon79

micali

I listened to almost every game that year while working on my buddies 66 chevy.  I wouldn't have had the money to go since I was still in high school but some great memories listening  on the radio. The loudest I remember was Ronnie Brewers last year when we beat Florida by 1or 2 points.  My ears rang for hours afterwards.  Great times.

BigoBoys

Was at a Bud Walton family event at Stan Kroenke's home in Columbia surrounding the funeral of Bud.  Norm Stewart and his wife were there and I ribbed him a bit about letting Tyus Edney dribble the length of the court and score in the 95 semi game ( we lost to UCLA in the final).  Stewart stared at me, reached in his coat pocket and threw me a stick of chewing gum.  Said, "chew on this a while" and walked off.  Was a real lesson to me to up my heckling game. 

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hobhog on November 07, 2017, 06:59:56 pm

Been to both since the 70's. Barnhill was awesome but still can't touch the Bud when it's a full house.

phadedhawg

That was a great game.  I was nervous we were gonna lose our first game in our new home but nope...we were on fire that night.

mizzouman

Quote from: BigoBoys on November 09, 2017, 09:58:27 pm
Was at a Bud Walton family event at Stan Kroenke's home in Columbia surrounding the funeral of Bud.  Norm Stewart and his wife were there and I ribbed him a bit about letting Tyus Edney dribble the length of the court and score in the 95 semi game ( we lost to UCLA in the final).  Stewart stared at me, reached in his coat pocket and threw me a stick of chewing gum.  Said, "chew on this a while" and walked off.  Was a real lesson to me to up my heckling game. 
He loves the chewing gum bit.  Always threw gum in the student section at Barnhill. Said "Chew on this tonight, not my ass."

BigoBoys

Quote from: mizzouman on November 10, 2017, 07:38:18 pm
He loves the chewing gum bit.  Always threw gum in the student section at Barnhill. Said "Chew on this tonight, not my ass."
When I lived in Columbia my wife worked at a bank downtown.  Routinely, Norm would come in with checks from donors/alumni and deposit into a trust he had set up.  The comment section of the checks would say "good game Norm" or the score of whatever game they were paying him for.  Norm, was always a gentleman to my wife.