Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NFL conference championship games—Jags-Pats, Viks-Eagles

Started by Tejano Jawg, January 21, 2018, 04:11:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tejano Jawg

Can the Jaguars hang on? Good game so far. I've even got my Jags jersey on at a watch party. Recognize this one?
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Buff

Odds that the Pats consider getting something for Gronk in a trade after this season?  He's out, again, due to injury.

bennyl08

If these were SEC refs, guarantee they'd protect NE and reverse that fumble call.

Nice to see quality ref play.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Buff on January 21, 2018, 04:18:13 pm
Odds that the Pats consider getting something for Gronk in a trade after this season?  He's out, again, due to injury.

Yep, out for the rest of the game. Big loss for the Pats.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on January 21, 2018, 04:11:06 pm
Can the Jaguars hang on? Good game so far. I've even got my Jags jersey on at a watch party. Recognize this one?

Yes, that would be a vintage Matt Jones jersey. Am I right? Do I win something?

Holy cow this game is awesome. Look at Brady keep doing it.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 21, 2018, 04:22:37 pm
If these were SEC refs, guarantee they'd protect NE and reverse that fumble call.

NE best plays were pass interferences.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Mo_Better_Hogs

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Mo_Better_Hogs on January 21, 2018, 04:52:20 pm
Yes, that would be a vintage Matt Jones jersey. Am I right? Do I win something?

Holy cow this game is awesome. Look at Brady keep doing it.

Just unreal. Although, it's not like you can really be surprised by it. He owns 4th quarters. But man, gotta give the Pats D credit too...they came up huge.

And yes, Matt Jones, circa 2007.

Bubba's Bruisers

No Edelman this season, no Gronk last season.  No matter for Brady.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Tejano Jawg

Well, not much to say about Vikings-Eagles. It sucked. I was pulling for the Vikings, but they weren't in it tonight. The Eagles were playing pissed...if they can do that against the Pats, they have a chance.

This game was such a disappointment because last weekend (especially Sunday) was so good. At this point, I just want entertaining football, not boring lopsided wins.

hoglady

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 21, 2018, 08:15:21 pm
No Edelman this season, no Gronk last season.  No matter for Brady.

I told my daughter it doesn't matter who they have at receiver / 12 stitches on his throwing hand , Tom Brady just continues to get it done in the 4th quarter with the game on the line. Love him or hate him - he's as good in the clutch as I've ever seen.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hoglady

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on January 21, 2018, 09:01:48 pm
Well, not much to say about Vikings-Eagles. It sucked. I was pulling for the Vikings, but they weren't in it tonight. The Eagles were playing pissed…if they can do that against the Pats, they have a chance.

This game was such a disappointment because last weekend (especially Sunday) was so good. At this point, I just want entertaining football, not boring lopsided wins.

Foles played a great game tonight.
I was pulling for the Vikings, too / but too many mistakes on offense and their defense sure didn't play like they have been playing.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

hoglady

Quote from: sowmonella on January 21, 2018, 11:21:00 pm
Like him or not Brady is the GOAT. Simply amazing.

There are 2 constants in the run of success for New England - Belichick and Brady.
How many NFL fans really thought that Brady wouldn't come back and win that game late in the 4th.
When the Jags couldn't extend their lead - most knew they were most likely done.

holeinthewall

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 21, 2018, 04:22:37 pm

Should have been a Jags TD.  He was not down when he gained possession of the ball.

EastexHawg

Quote from: hoglady on January 22, 2018, 07:50:32 am
There are 2 constants in the run of success for New England - Belichick and Brady.
How many NFL fans really thought that Brady wouldn't come back and win that game late in the 4th.
When the Jags couldn't extend their lead - most knew they were most likely done.

The Jags' coaches choked.  Late in the first half, up 14-3, they ran up the middle on both first and second down twice in a row, trying to run the clock and make the Patriots use timeouts.  Who is stupid enough to try to sit on an 11 point lead with 32 minutes to go?

I would have bet my house that New England was going to score a TD to make it 14-10.  They did.  You CANNOT give Brady even 45 seconds.

The days of "control the ball, play field position, and play good defense" are over.  Unless you have the 1976 Steel Curtain defense you're going to have to keep scoring to beat the Patriots, or really any team with an outstanding QB.  Running into the middle on first down time after time in the second half, turning first and 10 into second and 10 or second and 9, was a perfect recipe for losing.  Congratulations, Jags coaches.  Your recipe came out of the oven exactly as it should have.

Atlhogfan1

The Jags ran their offense.  Running and play action off of it. Second half the Pats decided to take away the run and grab the Jags receivers on the crossing routes that had been such a success in the first half.  Hard to succeed in that situation.  Of course the Pats were scoring before the half.  60 yards in penalties will do that. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: hoglady on January 21, 2018, 10:51:59 pm
I told my daughter it doesn't matter who they have at receiver / 12 stitches on his throwing hand , Tom Brady just continues to get it done in the 4th quarter with the game on the line. Love him or hate him - he's as good in the clutch as I've ever seen.

The Patriots machine just keeps running. What you said about their receivers, Hoglady, could be said about every position. Other than quarterback. Look at their running back position over the years. They'll have a great one, then they won't resign him. They'll find a good one and they'll get by. There is NEVER a dropoff so significant that something else, mainly Brady, won't elevate to make up for it. It just keeeeeeps goooooooooing.  :(

Eastex brings up something, and not sure what you do about it. The Jags game isn't a wild wide-open style. It's easy to say now they should have taken some more chances. But the ONE THING we knew and the Jags coaches had to know it—Brady was going to move the ball. And it did not matter how great your D was, it was going to happen. You just needed to do the math. OK, if Brady puts a couple touchdown drives together, which was certain, what does that make the score? And what do we need to do?

I can't remember the end of the first half so much. But those last several 4th qtr possessions by Jacksonville, where they were so brief, leading to quick punts, oh boy. It was so absolute that giving the ball back to NE so quickly would doom them.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 22, 2018, 09:45:12 am
The Jags ran their offense.  Running and play action off of it. Second half the Pats decided to take away the run 

As I said...keep running it up the middle in order to get to those highly desirable second and 10s and third and 7s.  Great coaching.  "We'll do what we always do.  Screw adjusting."

Has Bielema been hired by the Jags as a consultant?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 22, 2018, 10:32:19 am
As I said...keep running it up the middle in order to get to those highly desirable second and 10s and third and 7s.  Great coaching.  "We'll do what we always do.  Screw adjusting."

Has Bielema been hired by the Jags as a consultant?

When you are limited in what you can do, you are limited in how you can adjust.  For the Jags to have won, they needed some breaks.  They not only got 0 but were on the bad end of a few as well. 

EastexHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 22, 2018, 10:39:09 am
When you are limited in what you can do, you are limited in how you can adjust.  For the Jags to have won, they needed some breaks.  They not only got 0 but were on the bad end of a few as well. 

They were up 20-10 in the second half and tried to sit on the lead.  That was stupid.  Everyone in America who was watching from his recliner at home knew 20 points wouldn't win that game, not with Brady playing for the opponent.  As a coaching staff saying you are hoping for a fumbled punt or an interception return for a TD to save you is equally stupid.  "Hope" isn't an acceptable course of action.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 22, 2018, 11:23:08 am
   "Hope" isn't an acceptable course of action.

Remember Eastex.  Hope is a good thing.  Maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.