Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Goodbye to all

Started by husker71, July 19, 2017, 09:58:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

husker71

tomorrow I will be leaving for the island of Bohol in the Philippines to begin my retirement.  Will miss chatting to you about Las Vegas but hope some of you may come over for a visit.   Nice 2 bedroom 2 bathroom apartment close to the beach for about $215 per month.

grayhawg

Quote from: husker71 on July 19, 2017, 09:58:35 pm
tomorrow I will be leaving for the island of Bohol in the Philippines to begin my retirement.  Will miss chatting to you about Las Vegas but hope some of you may come over for a visit.   Nice 2 bedroom 2 bathroom apartment close to the beach for about $215 per month.
No internet?

Boarcephus

Quote from: husker71 on July 19, 2017, 09:58:35 pm

Different.  Good luck and be safe. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

ricepig

I don't think Jason Bourne told everyone where he was moving to.......enjoy your time. Is there more to the story as to why you are moving there?

ur

Boarcephus

Quote from: ur on July 22, 2017, 09:36:44 am
Good luck. Be safe.
https://www.thenational.ae/world/asia/nine-killed-after-abu-sayyaf-militants-attack-philippine-tourist-island-bohol-1.89486

That's what I was thinking.  Not sure anywhere in the Philippines is safe these days, especially if you're an American. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Torqued pork

I remember an Andy Griffith episode where Howard Sprague retired early and lived on a tropical island. He became incredibly bored and almost lost his mind. Rather than moving somewhere because it's cheap stay in a civilized country and get on a government teet if need be. There's always room for one more.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Torqued pork on July 22, 2017, 11:06:30 am
I remember an Andy Griffith episode where Howard Sprague retired early and lived on a tropical island. He became incredibly bored and almost lost his mind. Rather than moving somewhere because it's cheap stay in a civilized country and get on a government teet if need be. There's always room for one more.

Howard was a bit of a strange bird.  I wouldn't base my retirement plans on what Howard Sprague recommends.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

majestic

His wife is from the Phillipines. She'll keep him safe (or hold him for ransom). I kid, I kid. :)
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

HawgWild

husker71, why don't you blog your experiences like Dillar Dog did with his boat trip?  I'd enjoy reading about your experiences.

Boarcephus

Quote from: majestic on July 24, 2017, 05:29:52 pm
His wife is from the Phillipines. She'll keep him safe (or hold him for ransom). I kid, I kid. :)

I used to work with a guy at the VA who married a girl from the Philippines.  Periodically they'd go back and let her see her family and they always packed their suitcases with different canned foods to leave with them.  He was big guy and wherever they went they were on the lookout to protect him from just that.  He loved it over there and plans to retire there once he is able to.

husker71

not so off the grid   ate at TGIFs for dinner   had my favorite bacon blue cheese burger but it was expensive   my cable has both Fox and CNN   but Tucker Carlson is on at 8 am here   the brunt of the ISIS is farther south in Mindanao (never been there) and they still partially control the city of Marawi but getting less and less every day.  Yesterday they caught 7 rebels dressed as soldiers trying to get out of Marawi.  But weather is great and unless you go completely American  prices are lower some much lower.   I had to pay extra for my luggage because I was allowed two suitcases @ 50 lbs each and was way over weight in both     mostly chocolates for the family    buying washing machine today for them but you have to hand put in the water because they have no running water

Pigasaurus

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on July 24, 2017, 02:26:49 pm
Howard was a bit of a strange bird.  I wouldn't base my retirement plans on what Howard Sprague recommends.

Howard bowled a perfect game, with a few extra balls. Respect.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

husker71

yesterday a mayor of a city who was more than rumored to be a drug dealer was killed along with 14 others during a army raid on his home.  Not a lot of messing around over here.

DeltaBoy

Have a great retirement and keep us up todate on your adventures.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

husker71

I am in Palawan for the next 4 days and am going to the underground river today and then maybe take the 6 hour ride to El Nido.  This is the coolest island I have been on so far and apartments are around $300 per month (you can find some much cheaper but not so good)   I encourage anyone who has an extra moment to google Palawan and El Nido.  My plane fare from Cebu airport to here was $21 each way.  Some get on the ferries and boats to travel but I have not yet except for 1 1/2 hours fast boat from Cebu to Bohol.  Glad my Hogs won but no radio coverage that I could find so had to follow on Hogville which was fine with me but the 1st half some of the comments were really making me think (like them) that we were a 5-7 team. 

Wildhog

Yeah, that doesn't suck.  Just incredible, really. 

Palawan:

Underground River:

El Nido:

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

husker71

Palawan was great.  I went to the underground river and that is like 2 hours from the city and then a few minute ride by boat to that part of the island.  Unbelievable    tour is less than 45 minutes.  It is in the city of Sanday(??) and while I was there I saw a handful of expats that live there but they all looked like Dennis Hopper in Apocalypse Now.
One told me he rents a house in the town for about $200 per month just for the rent.  He says that the electricity comes and goes and I forgot to ask him about the internet.  They have resorts not far from there BUT that is not nearly the most beautiful part.  El Nido is on the other side of the island about a 6 hour bus ride and sure it is bumpy.  That is the prettiest part .  They also have tours that take you to many small islands by small boat where you can snorkel or scuba all day and stay in a Nipa hut overnight and the guide goes out and catches fish and bbqs them for you.  You have to bring your own water and beer and all that with you.  About $50 per person including guide and transportation.  My trip to Underground River was exactly $50 for everything including a buffet after the tour.  There was a american that I had to apologize to the tour guide for.  Bitched about everything from the bumpy trip to the food even bitched to the boat driver about not having a muffler on this small boat.  When we got out of the boat he starting talking to the cops about how in America you had to have mufflers.  In this country that could get you killed complaining to the police.  He was about 70 with a 40 year old bar girl (just a guess) and of course was from California.  Next month I am going south  to Oslob to swim with the whales and then spend 2 nights on an island called the island of witches.  It is small and supposed to be beautiful.   PS most of them seem to love Americans on this island.  I went to a local market and they were selling DVDs bootlegged copies and I bought copy of it for 25 pesos (about 50 cents) and I noticed that nearly all not selling foods but rather selling bags and jewelry and t shirts were wearing muslim garb.  Just an observation.

HawgWild

Enjoyed the read. Continue having a good time and stay safe.

husker71

had a couple of guys pm'd  me asking about how much to live over here and if anyone else is interested I will try and give you what I spend every month on here.

HighcountryHog

Good on ya for not conforming to the "American" retirement.  I can't wait to become an expat.

You are right about northern Palawan, it's a must see.  I was doing liveaboard on a sailboat for about 4 months there and spent less than $2000 USD for literally everything.  Lived. It. Up.  Check out https://www.taophilippines.com/ if you're the adventurous type; guaranteed to be a great experience.
no bumps, no fat chicks

Springfield_MO_Razorback

Any updates? Curious to see how things have been for you over the past few months. Be safe!

husker71

ok update   the most famous island for tourists is Boracay (but it has been overbuilt) but anyway it is still  nice.  So about 2 months ago President Duterte visited the island and said "this place smells like s--t"  He was really mad about how bad the water off shore was so he said that he will take action.  So last week he ordered the island closed for at least 6 months starting on April 26th.  They are talking about possibly having to tear down some hotels and even a mall. Wow no inaction here.

HognotinMemphis

LOL. Just seeing this thread. Hilarious.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: husker71 on September 05, 2017, 06:38:19 pm
I am in Palawan for the next 4 days and am going to the underground river today and then maybe take the 6 hour ride to El Nido.  This is the coolest island I have been on so far and apartments are around $300 per month (you can find some much cheaper but not so good)   I encourage anyone who has an extra moment to google Palawan and El Nido.  My plane fare from Cebu airport to here was $21 each way.  Some get on the ferries and boats to travel but I have not yet except for 1 1/2 hours fast boat from Cebu to Bohol.  Glad my Hogs won but no radio coverage that I could find so had to follow on Hogville which was fine with me but the 1st half some of the comments were really making me think (like them) that we were a 5-7 team.
Not a 5-7 team...a 4-8 team. But for a miracle win over Ole Miss, would have been a 3-9 team.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: husker71 on April 07, 2018, 01:56:27 am
ok update   the most famous island for tourists is Boracay (but it has been overbuilt) but anyway it is still  nice.  So about 2 months ago President Duterte visited the island and said "this place smells like s--t"  He was really mad about how bad the water off shore was so he said that he will take action.  So last week he ordered the island closed for at least 6 months starting on April 26th.  They are talking about possibly having to tear down some hotels and even a mall. Wow no inaction here.
The U.S. has always been the opposite of that because there has always been some minority group of people who block progress here. Trump trying to change that which is the main reason I love him.