Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This weekend...

Started by BigE_23, October 03, 2017, 10:24:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BigE_23

Could be the biggest game of Bret Bielema's tenure at Arkansas. Look at the schedule:

Florida A&M W 7 - 49
TCU L 28 - 7
Texas A&M L 50 - 43
NM State W 24 - 42

2-2

@ South Carolina
@ Alabama
Auburn
@ Mississippi
Coastal Carolina
@ LSU
MS State
Missouri

If we lose this game going into the Alabama and Auburn games back to back, things have the potential to get ugly. Alabama is playing angry right now, and if we limp into that game they'll smell blood in the water, and Gus would love nothing more than to embarrass Bert AGAIN especially in front of his home town friends.

If we lose this weekend, an 0-4 start in SEC play becomes highly likely. Bret knows it's now or never...and if he doesn't get it done against USC-e the wheels are going to start coming off in a hurry.

On the flip side...winning this weekend could give this team the confidence it needs to rebound and maybe sneak up on somebody (i.e. Auburn). There's a ton riding on this game...metaphorically speaking ;)

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: BigE_23 on October 03, 2017, 10:24:23 am
Could be the biggest game of Bret Bielema's tenure at Arkansas. Look at the schedule:

Florida A&M W 7 - 49
TCU L 28 - 7
Texas A&M L 50 - 43
NM State W 24 - 42

2-2

@ South Carolina
@ Alabama
Auburn
@ Mississippi
Coastal Carolina
@ LSU
MS State
Missouri

If we lose this game going into the Alabama and Auburn games back to back, things have the potential to get ugly. Alabama is playing angry right now, and if we limp into that game they'll smell blood in the water, and Gus would love nothing more than to embarrass Bert AGAIN especially in front of his home town friends.

If we lose this weekend, an 0-4 start in SEC play becomes highly likely. Bret knows it's now or never...and if he doesn't get it done against USC-e the wheels are going to start coming off in a hurry.

On the flip side...winning this weekend could give this team the confidence it needs to rebound and maybe sneak up on somebody (i.e. Auburn). There's a ton riding on this game...metaphorically speaking ;)
We went into the season with the idea that the TCU and A&M games were the "deciding" games between a 6, 7, or 8 win season.  Now that we've lost both of those I think every game from here on out is the biggest game of Bielema's career.

Next1_04

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on October 03, 2017, 10:39:14 am
We went into the season with the idea that the TCU and A&M games were the "deciding" games between a 6, 7, or 8 win season.  Now that we've lost both of those I think every game from here on out is the biggest game of Bielema's career.

And TCU is a Top 10 team and moving up. Slight over reaction to that loss.

Hogdomer

We've had so many "biggest" games of his tenure I've lost count.  Every A&M game, Virginia Tech, Texas Tech after losing to Toledo, TCU this year.  This list goes on and on. 

In year 5 you just have to look at the record, 10-23 and 26-28, and ask yourself if that is good enough? 

EastexHawg

I remember going to the fair as a kid.  The guy at the basketball booth kept yelling, "Make a basket, win a big one!"  So I made a basket and he handed me some dinky little trinket.  I asked if that was a "big one" and he said yes, then asked if I wanted to try again.  I asked what I got if I made the shot a second time and he said, "A BIGGER ONE!"

I get the same feeling from the never ending parade of "biggest games".

BigE_23

Quote from: Hogdomer on October 03, 2017, 10:53:13 am
We've had so many "biggest" games of his tenure I've lost count.  Every A&M game, Virginia Tech, Texas Tech after losing to Toledo, TCU this year.  This list goes on and on. 

In year 5 you just have to look at the record, 10-23 and 26-28, and ask yourself if that is good enough? 

Absolutely not.

And that is why this one is so big, because it could result in a domino effect that would be near impossible to recover from, even with a $15.4 million buyout.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Let's make some waves.

Inhogswetrust

I read on here that TAMU was the biggest game of the year for CBB. No wait it was TCU. No wait now suddenly it's SC.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PonderinHog

It's the next game, always.

ballz2thewall

the thing about cbb's tenure is

the number of times we've had this "critical game" discussion.......
The rest of the frog.

ballz2thewall

i jumped the gun and said the same thing prior to reading the posts. then i stumble on yours.....
The rest of the frog.

Inhogswetrust

Great post of the day candidate!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

AugustaHog

I feel like a runner in a race and somebody keeps moving the finish line on me.  Unless something flips, this team's not moving in the right direction.  We are still susceptible to big plays, do a poor job of blocking decent OLs, and find ways to lose games that seemingly should be closed out.  If we win 7 games, is it really a big deal?  What would 7 wins and a bowl really say about the quality of this team.  The 7 wins would be over 3 patsies and 4 of USC, OM, LSU, MSU, and Mizzou.  As it currently sits, those teams are not very good.  Sure it feels great to stick it to LSU and OM even in a down year.  I'm never turning that down, but it's still not impressive.  I don't know that I can convince myself any longer that we are anything more than a so-so team.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Next1_04 on October 03, 2017, 10:50:06 am
Yeah, how dare we expect to win against top 10 teams.

But I'm not sure what your point is.  At this point in the season every loss brings you closer to a 5 win season. 

hogcard1964

Florida A&M W 7 - 49
TCU L 28 - 7
Texas A&M L 50 - 43
NM State W 24 - 42

2-2

@ South Carolina
@ Alabama
Auburn
@ Mississippi
Coastal Carolina
@ LSU
MS State
Missouri

He has to muster up at the very least a 4-4 SEC record, correct?  I think if we win this week, we have lock wins on Ole Miss and Mizzou.  So our best bet for a 4th SEC win would be LSU?  They look bad.

sickboy

I think it's a big game for sure. Especially considering where the rest of the SEC is at and how our schedule looks.

SC and Arkansas are two pretty evenly matched football teams right now. If the Hogs can pull of a road win against the Cocks, then it's not out of the realm of possibility that they could end up winning four or five more down the stretch.

A win against Cocks gives us 3. Assuming losses to Bama and Auburn -- that leaves games against Ole Miss, LSU, Miss State and Mizzou. All those are winnable right now if the Hogs continue to improve. Assuming we beat Coastal Carolina, then all you're looking at is winning three out of those four to get to 7 wins.

I'm guessing we could end up anywhere from 5-8 wins when the season is over. And in true Bielema fashion, I'd be willing to bet that we'll end up only a few plays away from being either a 3 win team or a 10 win team.

Hell, with a little different mojo we could be 4-0 right now. We should have beat A&M and we could have beat TCU. Go figure. It's crazy how Bielema manages to keep things so close. You'd have to imagine with the right amount of luck, the guy could manage a 10 or 11 win season at some point.

311Hog

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on October 03, 2017, 01:03:39 pm

But I'm not sure what your point is.  At this point in the season every loss brings you closer to a 5 win season. 

i think is point is that the speculation about a TCU win as a "likelyhood" pre season has to be adjusted to account for the fact they are much better so far than anyone expected. I mean i saw where Playoff talking head Dinich? put TCU in her final 4. 

If i knew that before the season i would have never picked us to win that game.  We are obviously not on "play off " level.  But injuries etc have made USCe vulnerable IMHO and given whom our next opponents are for "this" year this is a big moment.  A Chance at salvation if you will.

SemperHawg

We don't put together a W this weekend we may not see another until Coastal Carolina... At that point bowl game is out the window and I would thing Bret's seat would be smoking. 

Hog N Bama

Florida A&M W 7 - 49
TCU L 28 - 7
Texas A&M L 50 - 43
NM State W 24 - 42

2-2

@ South Carolina
@ Alabama
Auburn
@ Mississippi
Coastal Carolina
@ LSU
MS State
Missouri

You really don't think we beat Auburn now do you?

Hogdomer

Quote from: sickboy on October 03, 2017, 01:28:19 pm
I think it's a big game for sure. Especially considering where the rest of the SEC is at and how our schedule looks.

SC and Arkansas are two pretty evenly matched football teams right now. If the Hogs can pull of a road win against the Cocks, then it's not out of the realm of possibility that they could end up winning four or five more down the stretch.

A win against Cocks gives us 3. Assuming losses to Bama and Auburn -- that leaves games against Ole Miss, LSU, Miss State and Mizzou. All those are winnable right now if the Hogs continue to improve. Assuming we beat Coastal Carolina, then all you're looking at is winning three out of those four to get to 7 wins.

I'm guessing we could end up anywhere from 5-8 wins when the season is over. And in true Bielema fashion, I'd be willing to bet that we'll end up only a few plays away from being either a 3 win team or a 10 win team.

Hell, with a little different mojo we could be 4-0 right now. We should have beat A&M and we could have beat TCU. Go figure. It's crazy how Bielema manages to keep things so close. You'd have to imagine with the right amount of luck, the guy could manage a 10 or 11 win season at some point.

We lost to TCU by three touchdowns.  We say we should have beaten A&M every single year.  The fact that we keep saying it, sooner or later, has to mean it's inaccurate.

tconey1

Quote from: Hogdomer on October 03, 2017, 03:16:27 pm
We lost to TCU by three touchdowns.  We say we should have beaten A&M every single year.  The fact that we keep saying it, sooner or later, has to mean it's inaccurate.

The score is a little misleading.  If I remember right, it was 14-7 with about 3 min left and we had the ball. two late scores by them makes it look like we were outmatched the whole game which is just not the case.  A few breaks either way and things are different.

Rayzback

Quote from: Next1_04 on October 03, 2017, 10:50:06 am

Both losses looked winnable, thus the reaction to what coulda, woulda, and shoulda been.
Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: tconey1 on October 03, 2017, 03:26:11 pm
The score is a little misleading.  If I remember right, it was 14-7 with about 3 min left and we had the ball. two late scores by them makes it look like we were outmatched the whole game which is just not the case.  A few breaks either way and things are different.

Precisely. Final score sucked but we had a chance to tie the game near the end of regulation. Also, had it Defense simply tackled the RBs on those last 2 TDs, I doubt they'd have scored again, but they all tried to strip the ball everytime and they just ran through everyone.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

East TN HAWG

Your correct.  They shot themselves in the foot multiple times or it would not have been 14-7 late.  The game was closer on the scoreboard then on the field. 

RazorWest

If you watched that game you saw that Arkansas did not belong on the field with them.  The score was misleading with three minutes left only because TCU shot themselves in the foot and didn't score more.  If you saw the game, you saw the hogs get dominated everywhere but the scoreboard

BigE_23

Quote from: Hog N Bama on October 03, 2017, 02:00:34 pm
You really don't think we beat Auburn now do you?

"...an 0-4 start becomes HIGHLY LIKELY."

"...could give this team the confidence it needs to MAYBE sneak up on somebody (i.e. Auburn)."

I don't see how one could get that from what I posted, but apparently you did.

Hogdomer

October 03, 2017, 04:08:22 pm #26 Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 04:26:36 pm by Hogdomer

They had the ball with 3 min. left up 14-7.  We had them 3rd and 12 but committed a penalty giving them a first down.  We very rarely stopped them on third down (a recurring problem).  They had 24 first downs and we had 13.  They had an unforced fumble on our two or would have had more points.  We were dominated in all aspects of the game.  TCU was a team we beat the year before at their place and, according to the experts, recruited at our level or below the last several years.  What was the difference then?  Only one explanation--coaching.

Hoginsavga

If we beat SC this weekend and I think we have at least a 50/50 chance then I can see us getting to 8 and 4 this season. Except for AL and Auburn the other teams have not impressed me thus far this season.

Actually we have looked better in our two losses than any of the other teams except the two mentioned above. I am not a fan of CBB's schemes but as a Hog Fan I am pulling for him to pull this season out. My criticism will change to joy quickly if that happens.

gchamblee

Quote from: RazorWest on October 03, 2017, 04:03:37 pm
If you watched that game you saw that Arkansas did not belong on the field with them.  The score was misleading with three minutes left only because TCU shot themselves in the foot and didn't score more.  If you saw the game, you saw the hogs get dominated everywhere but the scoreboard

There were 2 ways to see that game. They way it happened, and the way you wanted it to happen.

Next1_04

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on October 03, 2017, 01:03:39 pm

Looks like you more than likely predicted us to lose anyways, what are you so upset about?