Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Weekend Rotation Set

Started by ucahogfan, March 04, 2015, 09:27:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ucahogfan

Razorback Baseball @RazorbackBSB 
  ·  3h 3 hours ago   
Dominic Taccolini and Keaton McKinney are set to follow Trey Killian in this weekend's rotation. #WPS #OmaHogs

TikiHog

If this staff is gonna be successful in SEC play 2 things will have to change...42 walks and 11 hit batters in 76 innings wont cut it in the SEC...add 58 hits to that

SPAL

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on March 05, 2015, 12:31:30 am
Pretty much got my wish
Predicted Killian, Teague and McKinney at some point in the season. Teague was given his chance, but Taco is the one getting it done so far. Not surprised that it's Taco, but I did miss on my prediction. Hope these 3 have strong performances and leave no doubt on who should start, because conference is right around the corner.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: TikiHog on March 04, 2015, 11:39:49 pm
If this staff is gonna be successful in SEC play 2 things will have to change...42 walks and 11 hit batters in 76 innings wont cut it in the SEC...add 58 hits to that
Right on.

Likely
SEC                 
Starters:     IP       BB    HBP
Killian          0        0       0
Taccolini    16.0     5       3
McKinney   12.1     6       3

Considered:
Jackson      8.2     11      0
Teague       5.1       6      1

TikiHog

add to that
Taco 10 hits
McKinney 8 hits
Jackson 9 hits
Teague 5 hits

Kevin

it sure flipped quick. now, pitching is our weakness. who would have ever thought that.

i think we have talent, just inexperienced
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

bulldog04

Quote from: TikiHog on March 04, 2015, 11:39:49 pm
Yep we have to throw strikes and make better 2 strike pitches but I think that goes hand in hand.  Our offense and defense are solid.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on March 05, 2015, 12:31:30 am
Pretty much got my wish

Is that sorta like saying 'told ya so" ?  :)
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Kevin on March 05, 2015, 06:49:30 am
it sure flipped quick. now, pitching is our weakness. who would have ever thought that.

i think we have talent, just inexperienced

I think that is the point that Arkansas, myself and a few others have been making all along.  We just lost almost all our proven pitchers, especially starters and long relievers the last two years to not be in this place.  I for one never said we wouldn't be okay eventually, but that there would be moments of concern before the standouts emerged.  I also figured that McKinney and Tacco would be among those standouts, but figured it would take time.  Tacco for example, just didnt get that many innings last year and he didnt go great guns when he did.  He did display potential, but not top shelf performance.  Here are his stats from last year.
                  ERA  w/l app gs  cg  sho  sv  ip  hits  r   er bb so 2b 3b hr avg wp hp balk
Dom Taccolini 4.94 2-0 17  3   0   0/1  0 31.0  29  19 17 12 20  4  0   1 1.24  3 8   1

As you can see he appeared enough to have a two and oh record, but at almost a five era.  He also only pitched 31 inninngs.  That just not big enough sample to determine how well he was going to do.  He had three starts of his seventeen appearances.  He had no saves to go with his two wins.  His walks to strike out ratio looked better than I remembered but it appears he got himself in trouble by plinking guys (8 hit bats men).  On the positive side, he isnt afraid to pitch inside or he had absolutely electric stuff that either doesn't break sometimes or runs in on the hitter more than expected. 

Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

dotnet

Quote from: flippinhogmana on March 05, 2015, 07:46:17 am

ERA  w/l app gs  cg  sho  sv  ip  hits  r   er bb so 2b 3b hr avg wp hp balk
Dom Taccolini 4.94 2-0 17  3   0   0/1  0 31.0  29  19 17 12 20  4  0   1 1.24  3 8   1

As you can see he appeared enough to have a two and oh record, but at almost a five era.  He also only pitched 31 inninngs.  That just not big enough sample to determine how well he was going to do.  He had three starts of his seventeen appearances.  He had no saves to go with his two wins.  His walks to strike out ratio looked better than I remembered but it appears he got himself in trouble by plinking guys (8 hit bats men).  On the positive side, he isnt afraid to pitch inside or he had absolutely electric stuff that either doesn't break sometimes or runs in on the hitter more than expected. 

You can't scout a stat line.

The sample a lot of people are going with is bigger than that stat line you said to begin with.  There is the history of high school, summer ball, two fall seasons, etc... and the reports/stats from all of those. 

To put it in perspective, he had one more appearance and 5 less IP than TK did as a freshman.

dotnet

Assuming TK is ready to pitch well in his allotted time - the real question is who starts the mid week games?

southarkhog06

Quote from: dotnet on March 05, 2015, 09:47:58 am
Assuming TK is ready to pitch well in his allotted time - the real question is who starts the mid week games?
At this point I dont think even DVH knows the answer to that. My WAG would be Patten and Teague

flippinhogmana

Quote from: dotnet on March 05, 2015, 09:47:07 am
You can't scout a stat line.

The sample a lot of people are going with is bigger than that stat line you said to begin with.  There is the history of high school, summer ball, two fall seasons, etc... and the reports/stats from all of those. 

To put it in perspective, he had one more appearance and 5 less IP than TK did as a freshman.

True, but I was simply citing the stat line as a performance measure that is more on point with the competition he will face going forward, and his most recent test. 

I didn't cite his high school stats or McKinney's either, because it shows potential at a lower level.  But then so does Bonfield's, but the potential is not being proven yet in Bonfield's case (but is more in McKinney's case).  You simply don't know for sure either with scouting or stats from a lower level if the performance there will translate to equal results at a more advanced level.  A trained eye, I will concede, dotnet, is accurate a lot of the time, but not always.

There comes along all the time a pitcher who cant miss (like Rick Ankiel) who cant miss but does, a hitter cant miss but spends his entire career in the minors.  Some people with a ton of potential don't always cut it.  I am persuaded of better for Bonfield, (as I was for Tacco and McKinney), but despite my confidence and DVH's, yours and everybody else s, they still have to prove it on the field.  Nobody will just give us Omaha, or at least they haven't yet. 

And concerning TK, there are still questions on TK isn't there (like can he true around all those quality appearance but a negative won/loss record into a positive one; secondly is he again fully healthy).  We assume the answers to those questions are self evident, but we DON'T KNOW.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: southarkhog06 on March 05, 2015, 10:16:53 am
At this point I dont think even DVH knows the answer to that. My WAG would be Patten and Teague

You pose two of the likely characters if Jackson is entirely reserved for weekend long relief.  I would say that Pate and Fant may be tried occasionally, especially if anyone of the three weekend starters falter, otherwise, I guess we are just going to be a righty dominated pitching staff, especially among starters.  Besides Patten and Teague, Jackson Lowery may also be given a shot as midweek starter.

ricepig

I hope Trey is truly healthy, and not rushing back.

TikiHog

that's my biggest concern on Killian

flippinhogmana

Quote from: ricepig on March 05, 2015, 11:00:26 am
I hope Trey is truly healthy, and not rushing back.
Quote from: TikiHog on March 05, 2015, 11:04:50 am
that's my biggest concern on Killian

You two and the whole of the baseball hog nation!

BroyledNutts

Quote from: TikiHog on March 05, 2015, 02:00:46 am
add to that
Taco 10 hits
McKinney 8 hits
Jackson 9 hits
Teague 5 hits

I would think the new ball is contributing some to that - I've watched a lot of hits this season get through that would've been infield grounders last year...yes, the staff needs to fine tune control - but we may have to get used to more hits than we're used to simply because of the spring on this new ball...

Knot2brite

Quote from: dotnet on March 05, 2015, 09:47:58 am
I expect a lot of staff it games.....TK, Taco, McKinney can give us 15 -18 innings combine in a weekend (at least I hope) leaving 12 or less innings for Teague, Stone, Sanburn, alberius, Chadwick, ZJ, and the others to pick up. Patten, Fant ( still betting he is being held onto until we absolutely have to have him...if not RS) Pâté, Phillips they can grab some innings in the mid week as well
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required