Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

11 days in a row of racing...April 1st through 11th? (could lose a few more to snow, etc)

Started by HogFanInBryant, March 02, 2015, 11:04:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogFanInBryant

Why not just close out the meet with a bang?  Have racing every single day from Wednesday April 1st through Ark Derby on April 11th?  They could really PROMO it up and market it as 11 days in a row of racing!  I'm trying to find a way for this to be a stupid idea but haven't yet...thoughts?

holeinthewall

kingoftherapids

Honestly I rather see 2 races added to each card.   Monday Tuesdays are just hard to have big pools. That's why no big tracks race on Monday/Tuesday's

HogFanInBryant

Quote from: kingoftherapids on March 03, 2015, 10:01:10 am
Honestly I rather see 2 races added to each card.   Monday Tuesdays are just hard to have big pools. That's why no big tracks race on Monday/Tuesday's

I do know the deal about Mon and Tues...but if Oaklawn were to advertise it as their big bang to the end of the meet they could get some play by being the only major track running on those days.  If the weather is nice each day it would only be a bonus!

Rendezvous Cook

holeinthewall

Right so add in 2 extra days and make it a full week and a half.  If people knew about it and there were stakes races each day people would plan to atend. Weather is finally nice. Good for sitting on the steps outside drinking a few beers soaking up some sun and watching the drunks. 

cbhawg03

Personally not for adding Monday and Tuesday racing. I don't see the benefit. Oaklawn is a gathering spot in a way, somewhere everybody can go on the weekends, witnessed by the attendance, which is always in the top 5. I think the Florida Derby drew like 12k a year or two ago meanwhile Oaklawn will draw 12k on a Saturday with good weather for a $50k Arky bred stakes race.

Attendance would be extremely low if you added a Monday and Tuesday. There is basically no benefit. Also, you have to consider that the track would then have to either add stakes races for those two days or take stakes races away from other days, which they would come from Derby Day (4 or 5 stakes races). I don't like the idea of taking away 1 or 2 of the stakes on Derby Day to add to a Monday or Tuesday card.

Oaklawn is trying to get attendance up on the days that aren't as big though. The boat/truck giveaway has always been a Rebel Stakes staple, but not this year. I think it is 2 weeks after the Rebel ??? No clue as to the reasoning behind that other than to get attendance up on the lesser days.