Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mediocrity.............

Started by Tweeter, February 21, 2018, 01:46:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BoarEd

Strongly disagree with the idea that SEC football is stronger than SEC basketball. Especially this season. The SEC is going to send up to 8 teams to the NCAA Tournament this year. Which means that more than half the conference has a legit opportunity to win a national title. And I don't mean like, "if you're the SEC conference title winner in football you're gonna play for a national title" that people throw out at the begining of every football season. I mean, more than half of the SEC will actually BE PLAYING FOR a national title this year.

If "mediocre" Mike Anderson achieves his career average of winning 2 out of every 3 games he plays, in arguably the strongest basketball conference in the country, it would be idiotic to want to fire him. In fact, it think it ALREADY IS idiotic to want to fire him. He wins 2 out of every 3 games. Lol

k.c.hawg

Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

BoarEd

Also, strictly speaking, no,  Anderson isn't "mediocre". He is about 16% points above mediocre.

He's probably not going to be a consistent national title contender at 66%, but he can get teams that jump up to that level occasionally. 75% wins will get you consistent national title contention. Same as the game itself. If your team shoots 75% from the free throw line, you'll be a title contending team. Same as in football. Win 75% of your games and you're elite.

It's all right there in the numbers. Anderson is way above mediocre.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: BoarEd on February 24, 2018, 01:45:28 pm
Also, strictly speaking, no,  Anderson isn't "mediocre". He is about 16% points above mediocre.

He's probably not going to be a consistent national title contender at 66%, but he can get teams that jump up to that level occasionally. 75% wins will get you consistent national title contention.

Ok.  When the Frank is he going to do it? Starting in 2021?
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

99toLife

Quote from: BoarEd on February 24, 2018, 01:45:28 pm

He's probably not going to be a consistent national title contender at 66%, but he can get teams that jump up to that level occasionally. 75% wins will get you consistent national title contention. Same as the game itself. If your team shoots 75% from the free throw line, you'll be a title contending team. Same as in football. Win 75% of your games and you're elite.

It's all right there in the numbers. Anderson is way above mediocre.

When exactly has his teams ever been a National contender?  Once maybe I guess. 

k.c.hawg

Quote from: cityhog on February 21, 2018, 05:04:35 pm
Considering we are in the bubble yet again, I'd say there are at least 50-55 teams that aren't mediocre.

Have you ever followed basketball or are you on here just trying to show you lack of intelligence about the game. The best "50-55" teams don't make the tornament. There are a good 20 teams that qualify for the tourmnament that would never make it without being an automatic qualifier. Almost every metric that measures these teams has Arkansas as a #30-#35 team and comfortably in the field.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

BoarEd

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 24, 2018, 01:48:05 pm
Ok.  When the Frank is he going to do it? Starting in 2021?

Well, for starters this season isn't over. So maybe this year. I'm not ready to give up on this team yet. Arkansas lost the Kentucky game because the stage got too big for some of our bench players. They were off their game and Anderson had to play his starters too much.

But we have seen this team appear explosive at times.

Just keep plugging at it and see if you can get it all clicking in the tournament.

But also, as I said before, if they make the tournament again this season (and I believe they will as they only need two more wins to do it (including SEC Tournament)), he will be playing for a title this very year. Again.

All this talk about "yeah, but he hasn't made the sweet sixteen" is ridiculous. It's shifting the goal posts. When it gets to the tournament, you either win or you lose. And at some point you'll have to beat some damn good teams in order to win. The goal is to make it to the tournament and give yourself a chance. If you lose, you lose, and it doesn't matter which round.

So if he makes it to the tournament again this season it will have been 3 of the last 4 that had a shot at the title. And I am at a loss as to how people could see that as anything other than great. Especially considering where our program has been the last TWENTY DAMN YEARS. Lol. Mike Anderson is a great coach. Some people just can't see it for whatever reason.

BoarEd

Quote from: 99toLife on February 24, 2018, 01:49:07 pm
When exactly has his teams ever been a National contender?  Once maybe I guess.

Yeah, once, last year. And again two years before that.

See my above post about shifting goal posts before responding.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: BoarEd on February 24, 2018, 01:55:36 pm
Well, for starters this season isn't over. So maybe this year. I'm not ready to give up on this team yet. Arkansas lost the Kentucky game because the stage got too big for some of our bench players. They were off their game and Anderson had to play his starters too much.

But we have seen this team appear explosive at times.

Just keep plugging at it and see if you can get it all clicking in the tournament.

But also, as I said before, if they make the tournament again this season (and I believe they will as they only need two more wins to do it (including SEC Tournament)), he will be playing for a title this very year. Again.

All this talk about "yeah, but he hasn't made the sweet sixteen" is ridiculous. It's shifting the goal posts. When it gets to the tournament, you either win or you lose. And at some point you'll have to beat some damn good teams in order to win. The goal is to make it to the tournament and give yourself a chance. If you lose, you lose, and it doesn't matter which round.

So if he makes it to the tournament again this season it will have been 3 of the last 4 that had a shot at the title. And I am at a loss as to how people could see that as anything other than great. Especially considering where our program has been the last TWENTY DAMN YEARS. Lol. Mike Anderson is a great coach. Some people just can't see it for whatever reason.

Goal posts haven't moved.  How long will use this ID?
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

99toLife

Quote from: BoarEd on February 24, 2018, 01:57:55 pm
Yeah, once, last year. And again two years before that.

See my above post about shifting goal posts before responding.

Wow, Okay... I guess your definition of a contender is JUST GETTING IN THE NCAAT.. That's special right there. 

BoarEd

Quote from: 99toLife on February 24, 2018, 01:59:26 pm
Wow, Okay... I guess your definition of a contender is JUST GETTING IN THE NCAAT.. That's special right there.

That's because it's true.

99toLife

Quote from: BoarEd on February 24, 2018, 02:02:11 pm
That's because it's true.

Okay like I said that's what you believe.  Problem is in the last 17 years I have never heard any people that report and follow college for a living say a Mike Anderson Coach team was a national contender except maybe one year. But you carry on in your bubble if it makes you feel better.

liljo

February 24, 2018, 02:17:10 pm #62 Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 05:13:59 pm by liljo
Quote from: Tweeter on February 21, 2018, 04:16:43 pm
you're exactly right........all we here is "oh we are good, just got beat"  or "it's hard to win on the road"   If this was the football program, the house would have been cleaned out already.

Oh, really? If the football team had an above .500 conference record, the house would have been cleaned out already?

Hmm. 0-8, 2-6, 5-3, 3-5, and finally the house was cleaned after 1-7.

But Coach Anderson should be on the hot seat with an 8-7 conference record in a year when the SEC, by many experts, is one of the toughest conferences in the country?

Tough crowd over here in...let me double-check..."Hog"ville. 
Slow down, son. You'll ride past a lot more good stuff than you'll ever catch up to.

BoarEd

A truly mediocre team would be .500, right? Average. If 75% is the magic metric that makes a coach/team elite the margins are very small,  Anderson is closer to elite level than average.

ETA: Nolan Richardson won around 75% of his games and he played for two straight national titles.

BoarEd

On top of this mediocrity argument, how about addressing the FBI corruption probe that Mike Anderson appears to have kept Arkansas clear from, in a time that could see half of the SEC face federal indictment.

It's a no-brainer about Mike Anderson's worthiness of his position of Head Hog. We are lucky to have him. Truly.

daprospecta

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 24, 2018, 01:58:32 pm
Goal posts haven't moved.  How long will use this ID?
The goal posts have certainly moved.  In Mike's fourth year, we wanted to make the tourney consistently.  Since then, we have made the tourney 3 out of 4 years(ESPN says we are in this year) and now the complaint is not getting past the round of 32. I totally understand increasing expectations but let's not act like the expectation was getting past the round of 32 when he was hired.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: daprospecta on February 24, 2018, 03:11:50 pm
The goal posts have certainly moved.  In Mike's fourth year, we wanted to make the tourney consistently.  Since then, we have made the tourney 3 out of 4 years(ESPN says we are in this year) and now the complaint is not getting past the round of 32. I totally understand increasing expectations but let's not act like the expectation was getting past the round of 32 when he was hired.

WTH?  They weren't?   I know you want no expectations. Why the hell did we hire him then?

Goal posts haven't moved.  What you are talking about is the minimum which should have kept him employed. 

99toLife

Quote from: BoarEd on February 24, 2018, 02:59:22 pm
On top of this mediocrity argument, how about addressing the FBI corruption probe that Mike Anderson appears to have kept Arkansas clear from, in a time that could see half of the SEC face federal indictment.

It's a no-brainer about Mike Anderson's worthiness of his position of Head Hog. We are lucky to have him. Truly.

Yes were are, at $2,500,000.00 a year and worrying if we will even make the NCATT every year, makes us lucky I guess.

BoarEd

Quote from: 99toLife on February 24, 2018, 03:17:19 pm
Yes were are, at $2,500,000.00 a year and worrying if we will even make the NCATT every year, makes us lucky I guess.

Eh. You've stated your case. As have I. Luckily, the AD appears to see him as an asset to our program and not a hindrance.

daprospecta

Quote from: 99toLife on February 24, 2018, 03:17:19 pm
We haven't left the bracket ONCE this year.  ESPN says even if we lose out we should be in. We have no bad losses ACCORDING TO ESPN. We didn't worry last year once the season ended, we were in and we didn't worry in 2015 and it looks like we won't be worrying this year. 

pigface

Mike has always said he doesn't expect to win on the road.  Must be tough for our players to believe they can win.

BoarEd

Quote from: pigface on February 24, 2018, 03:39:42 pm
Mike has always said he doesn't expect to win on the road.  Must be tough for our players to believe they can win.

Didn't last year's team go 6-3 on the road? What is it with you guys? Do you live in some sort of alternate reality?

99toLife

Quote from: daprospecta on February 24, 2018, 03:29:20 pm
We haven't left the bracket ONCE this year.  ESPN says even if we lose out we should be in. We have no bad losses ACCORDING TO ESPN. We didn't worry last year once the season ended, we were in and we didn't worry in 2015 and it looks like we won't be worrying this year.

Okay, as Boarhead posted that means we are National contender again this year.  Awesome. 

99toLife

Quote from: daprospecta on February 24, 2018, 03:29:20 pm

Okay a 21 point loss to LSU at BWA is not a bad loss. As long as they say that great.  Lets roll on. ESPN is all knowing.