Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If Matt Jones was the QB in 06, does Arkansas beat LSU and Florida?

Started by Sweet Feet, February 08, 2017, 04:50:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TrueBlue

Quote from: HogScoutMaster on February 21, 2017, 01:08:06 pm
We are talking about Matt NOT Clint

Dude you are totally confused.

I know who we are speaking about...the guy that pissed away his talent, had poor work ethics, and threw away a career in the NFL that most people only dream about.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on February 21, 2017, 12:06:03 pm
Here's a little Tim Tebow vs Matt Jones.

Remember, in Tebow's 4 years at Florida, he had 2 National Championship teams around him. This included excellent receivers, running backs and especially offensive line. There's no way a so-so passer without lightening quick feet could thrive like he did without those great offensive lines. Take away all that talent—probably the best stretch Florida ever had—and Tebow is barely honorable mention all conference.

Matt, on the other hand, didn't have that luxury. He did it largely on his own. Our offense was great Matt's junior year (Ced Cobbs' senior year). Overall our team wasn't very good Matt's senior year.

How about this comparison—
Matt rushed 382 times for 2535 yards (6.6 per carry).

Tebow rushed 692 times for 2947 yards (4.25 per).
That is 300 MORE rushing attempts than Matt. If you take out Matt's measly 4.8 yards-per-carry average his soph year, he would have averaged about 7.5 ypc for his career.

And what was the passing yards and total tds for both in their careers?

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tim-tebow-1.html

Tebow did a lot more than just run the ball. He averaged 66% passing threw for 88 TDs and he also had over 9k yards passing. He ran for 57 TDs.

Total yards over 12000

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/matt-jones-1.html

While Matt jones passed for 5500 yards had a 55% passing percentage and 53 passing TDs. He ran for 24 TDs in his career.

Matt Jones total yards over 8000

If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

EastexHawg

Tebow also got almost 1,700 combined runs and pass attempts in his career.  Matt got a little over 1,100.  Someone's coach is a future Hall of Famer who designed his offense to get his primary weapon as many opportunities as possible.  The other played for a nitwit.

For his career, Tim Tebow averaged 7.25 yards every time he ran or passed the ball.  Matt Jones averaged 7.38.

LZH

It's inconceivable that Nutt took snaps from MJ and played Clark, Jackson, and Sorahan....but he did it. Took the best player on the field and stood him on the sideline and watched the offense spit and sputter like an old jalopy. What an idiot.

EastexHawg

I can see how it happened early in Matt's freshman year, but after the 7OT win in the duel against Eli Manning in Oxford any coach with half a brain would have figured out that he needed to focus his offense for the next 3-1/2 years around getting Jones as many opportunities as possible.  He was Vince Young before Vince Young was, only a faster and better runner.

PonderinHog

I suppose in a perfect Hogworld, Mallett would have completed a lot of passes to Jones for beaucoups yardage and Jones would have run for even more on well timed reverses.  And McFadden would have played safety.  Who frikken knows?

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 21, 2017, 08:26:02 pm
Tebow also got almost 1,700 combined runs and pass attempts in his career.  Matt got a little over 1,100.  Someone's coach is a future Hall of Famer who designed his offense to get his primary weapon as many opportunities as possible.  The other played for a nitwit.

For his career, Tim Tebow averaged 7.25 yards every time he ran or passed the ball.  Matt Jones averaged 7.38.

Simple question.

Swap Tebow for MJ , does Florida still win two national titles? Nope.

End of discussion.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on February 22, 2017, 09:26:50 am
Simple question.

End of discussion.

I love it when unproven and totally unprovable opinions are stated, then followed with "end of discussion".  Since as far as I know none of us have a DeLorean time machine to test this theory we'll have to just leave it at that...an opinion.

I find it somewhat odd how Tebow is typically vilified and denigrated on this forum...except when he is compared to Matt Jones.  In that case his statistics are hoisted high for all to see and his own personal responsibility for producing two national championships is lauded.

Personally, I like Tebow and think he was one of the greatest players in college football history.  I also know that during their respective college careers Matt Jones outgained him on average each time either of them ran or passed the ball.  That's not my opinion, that is a fact.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on February 22, 2017, 09:26:50 am
Simple question.

End of discussion.

I agree with this because one had a work ethic and the other didn't know what work was.

TrueBlue

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on February 22, 2017, 05:28:27 pm
I agree with this because one had a work ethic and the other didn't know what work was.

This totally.

He even left his radio gig at the Buzz because he didn't like the "daily grind". What "daily grind" is there in radio? You show up, sit your butt down, and speak your mind.

hawgXi

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on February 22, 2017, 05:28:27 pm

you think this "work ethic" stigma could just be misinformation from hootie to cover his own (dumb) a$$ for keeping MJ on the bench for half the snaps of his college career to justify the "two headed monster"???

personally I like tebow, but imo, MJ could do everything tebow could do and more in that florida offense.

who knows, with the right coach in the right system, MJ could have won 3 NC + heisman at florida????

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: hawgXi on February 25, 2017, 09:53:55 am
you think this "work ethic" stigma could just be misinformation from hootie to cover his own (dumb) a$$ for keeping MJ on the bench for half the snaps of his college career to justify the "two headed monster"???

personally I like tebow, but imo, MJ could do everything tebow could do and more in that florida offense.

who knows, with the right coach in the right system, MJ could have won 3 NC + heisman at florida????

No the work ethic showed how much when he was also playing in the pros for the jags. He was lazy and it showed in his lack of performance and stupid decisions off the field. He got away with it in the college game because his talent was greater than the rest on the team.  In the pros he was shown the door. 

hawgXi

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on February 25, 2017, 10:04:09 am
No the work ethic showed how much when he was also playing in the pros for the jags. He was lazy and it showed in his lack of performance and stupid decisions off the field. He got away with it in the college game because his talent was greater than the rest on the team.  In the pros he was shown the door. 

MJ just couldn't buy a break.

he went from a terrible coaching situation into what may have been a worse coaching system w/ del rio at the jags.

matter of fact MJ may have been the best QB on the jags while he was there???

could have been a lot of peer pressure on MJ at jville too.

I could see it frustrating him?

as they say, it's hard to fly with the eagles when you're being coached by a bunch of turkeys.

HiggiePiggy

MJ had all the breaks that he worked for. The guy was the guy at Arkansas and didn't have to work for it.  Then he got drafted in the first round as a receiver even though he had never played the position in college and all he had to do was try. Heck he had 5 TDs in his first year with the jags.  But got lazy and del rio didn't allow that. He ended up with drugs in the back of a car and being done in the pros.  He had the break he let them slip away. 

passinghog

Would've been amazing to have 3 true 4.4 guys handling the ball on every play on offense to pair with that defense. That team beats LSU for sure. Too much speed on offense. Imagine the read option with Jones, McFadden and Felix...

hawgXi

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 22, 2017, 10:59:57 am
I love it when unproven and totally unprovable opinions are stated, then followed with "end of discussion".  Since as far as I know none of us have a DeLorean time machine to test this theory we'll have to just leave it at that...an opinion.

I find it somewhat odd how Tebow is typically vilified and denigrated on this forum...except when he is compared to Matt Jones.  In that case his statistics are hoisted high for all to see and his own personal responsibility for producing two national championships is lauded.

Personally, I like Tebow and think he was one of the greatest players in college football history.  I also know that during their respective college careers Matt Jones outgained him on average each time either of them ran or passed the ball.  That's not my opinion, that is a fact.

here's a couple lines of specific comparisons between Tim Tebow & Matt Jones to support Eastex's post:

yards per completion average:  Tim Tebow 14.0; Matt Jones 14.1
TD per passing attempt:  Tim Tebow 11.5; Matt Jones 14.2
yards per rushing average: Tim Tebow 4.3; Matt Jones 6.6
TD's per touch combined rushes & pass attempts:  Tim Tebow 11.64  Matt Jones 14.7

bennyl08

True or false

Felix had more production per touch than McFadden
Felix was the superior back to Dmac
Having a higher ypc can often be easier with fewer touches
Ypc is not an end all be all for determining greatness.
Dennis Johnson had more total yards than Felix as a KR
Dennis Johnson was the superior KR of the two
Sometimes total yards is simply a function of opportunity rather than skill
Total yards is not the end all be all
Who is a greater player is full of nuance.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 21, 2017, 09:31:17 pm
I can see how it happened early in Matt's freshman year, but after the 7OT win in the duel against Eli Manning in Oxford any coach with half a brain would have figured out that he needed to focus his offense for the next 3-1/2 years around getting Jones as many opportunities as possible.  He was Vince Young before Vince Young was, only a faster and better runner.

No he wasn't

A) Vince had a FAR FAR superior arm
B) Vince was far more focused

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: hawgXi on February 26, 2017, 09:15:21 am
here's a couple lines of specific comparisons between Tim Tebow & Matt Jones to support Eastex's post:

yards per completion average:  Tim Tebow 14.0; Matt Jones 14.1
TD per passing attempt:  Tim Tebow 11.5; Matt Jones 14.2
yards per rushing average: Tim Tebow 4.3; Matt Jones 6.6
TD's per touch combined rushes & pass attempts:  Tim Tebow 11.64  Matt Jones 14.7

Tim Tebow - 2 national titles, Matt Jones ZERO with matt jones probably being the more gifted athlete

/thread

hawgXi

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on February 28, 2017, 06:39:17 pm
Tim Tebow - 2 national titles, Matt Jones ZERO with matt jones probably being the more gifted athlete

/thread

Urban myers - 3 NC
Hootie = zero

/thread