Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 25, 2024, 09:55:46 pm

Texas

Started by jackflash, June 30, 2016, 11:17:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jackflash

anybody surprise were not doing better in Texas.

AirWarren

Quote from: jackflash on June 30, 2016, 11:17:00 am

Trading Texas for Florida. Sounds like a fair trade to me.

ricepig

2/16 from Texas, seems about right. I suspect we'll get a couple more to finish out the class.

cpohog

Considering we have 1 from Alabama, Nevada, Georgia, Mo, Miss, Ariz. and OK.......someplace has to give. Looks like TX is the place.
Historically we do not pull from NV or AZ. We do not consistently get recruits from Georgia and Alabama. 

Arthur pigby sellers.

I think the Nevada guy had a lot of Texas connections. He was from Texas and I think he moved back there or was at least considering it.

ricepig

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on June 30, 2016, 12:12:42 pm
I think the Nevada guy had a lot of Texas connections. He was from Texas and I think he moved back there or was at least considering it.

He's from Texas, never played in Nevada, so he's a Texan.

Arthur pigby sellers.

But to answer the OP's question, I do want us to get a foothold in Texas and start getting 5-6 per year from the Texas top 100.  We don't seem to have the street cred with enough of the top recruits in Texas. 

Kevin

We are doing very well in bayou country. That is a great trade
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

cpohog

There was a time when we hit the DFW area really hard.......seems we lost that foothold.

I agree with previous posts that as long as we continue to do well in Florida and LA, we don't  have to depend on TX as much.

The Big 12 runs the style of offense (Spread) that most of these Texas kids run in high school. More or less their comfort zone. So you can see why the B-12 schools are able to do well recruiting in TX.

SEC is more smash mouth and a lot of these kids are not used to that style of play.

AirWarren

Quote from: cpohog on June 30, 2016, 12:44:27 pm
There was a time when we hit the DFW area really hard.......seems we lost that foothold.

I agree with previous posts that as long as we continue to do well in Florida and LA, we don't  have to depend on TX as much.

The Big 12 runs the style of offense (Spread) that most of these Texas kids run in high school. More or less their comfort zone. So you can see why the B-12 schools are able to do well recruiting in TX.

SEC is more smash mouth and a lot of these kids are not used to that style of play.

I enjoy seeing us snatch LA and FL kids away from the gators, Miami, fsu, and LSU. Programs that have had better college football than most of the Texas schools recently. Aside from the fluke A&M, TCU and Baylor teams.

Wildhog

The emergence of TCU and Baylor, along with TAMU joining the SEC, have really hurt us in Texas.  I'm glad we're devoting fewer resources there.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

AirWarren

I am glad that some see it how I see it.

With zero sec presence there we could go pick kids there occasionally. As well as other sec schools.

Ancillary Texas schools are soaring with TAMU and Texas becoming stagnant which has caused a huge shift in talent attending the TCU's and Baylor's of the world. Any SEC school would have loved to have had Michael Crabtree on their team when he played for Texas tech. TAMU Being sec ans having some success has locked in Texas Sec players who want to stay home.

I love coach B's approach. Get the athletes that can be developed. Not the ones who have 4-5 stars but end up playing to a 2*.

King Kong

Quote from: Wildhog on June 30, 2016, 12:50:53 pm
The emergence of TCU and Baylor, along with TAMU joining the SEC, have really hurt us in Texas.  I'm glad we're devoting fewer resources there.

Spot on. Texas recruiting landscape has changed dramatically. IMO we can't depend on if like we used too. Now Texas will always be a important state for us, but not at the level it once was

Vantage 8 dude

Being able to finally "close the deal" against TAM, which we've failed to do the past few seasons, would be a nice starting point as well.

Atlhogfan1

No.  Texas has long been overstated for our recruiting even though it is important to us.  We must recruit there and find contributors. But it won't be more than a few a year. 

Quote from: ricepig on June 30, 2016, 11:33:00 am
2/16 from Texas, seems about right. I suspect we'll get a couple more to finish out the class.

Yep.

This is why I have always thought the A&M in game in Dallas has been overblown in importance to our recruiting.  It produces revenue and probably has helped the university's brand.  But it wasn't going to increase some pipeline of recruits to the UA. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Since '02, Tx recruits we signed:

8 - BP's first full class
3 - After the 2012 season
2- BB's first full class

So based on BP and BB, no I'm not surprised we may be on pace to sign 4-5 from Texas this class.  I think Nutt, as we are seeing in our other major sport recently, took some low hanging fruit/projects that didn't pan out because he could sign them more easily.  I think our current and last head coach each has criteria and are more selective to what they want in the recruits they sign.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

arlhog

There's a lot of competition for the talent in tx.  More lately than in a long time.   It will let up a bit now that Baylor lost briles but just the good programs in state are a lot not to mention half of 0u's players are texas boys. 

Hawgzinbowlz

I'll trade a smaller footprint in Texas for an increase in La. recruits plus an expanded recruiting area (thanks to CDE, Coach Rhodes and CKA).

Some years more Texas recruits and some years less...As long as we fill our needs, and it appears we are doing just that.

A lot of competition for good D-1 players, and CBB seems to be finding more talent and better depth in a multitude of locations.

No worries here.

" GO HOGS "

SRV

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on June 30, 2016, 07:40:09 pm
I'll trade a smaller footprint in Texas for an increase in La. recruits plus an expanded recruiting area (thanks to CDE, Coach Rhodes and CKA).

Some years more Texas recruits and some years less...As long as we fill our needs, and it appears we are doing just that.

A lot of competition for good D-1 players, and CBB seems to be finding more talent and better depth in a multitude of locations.

No worries here.

" GO HOGS "

Agree completely.

Woo pig!
We've got entirely too many troublemakers here. Too many 40-year-old adolescents, felons, power drinkers and trustees of modern chemistry.....

hobhog

UA is the hot place to go for HS graduates in DFW area now for some reason. I am hoping it carries over to athletics.....

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hobhog on July 01, 2016, 10:53:52 am
UA is the hot place to go for HS graduates in DFW area now for some reason. I am hoping it carries over to athletics.....

For some reason I got a flash of hot girls in my head.

ricepig

Quote from: hobhog on July 01, 2016, 10:53:52 am

It is for those that don't get in UT or aTm.

hobhog

Quote from: ricepig on July 01, 2016, 11:21:07 am
It is for those that don't get in UT or aTm.

Correct. But Fayetteville is really popular for kids looking (needing) to go out of state. It has to help somehow....?

ricepig

Quote from: hobhog on July 01, 2016, 01:08:31 pm
Correct. But Fayetteville is really popular for kids looking (needing) to go out of state. It has to help somehow....?

Well, we've had some students who were/are students, and didn't get their siblings, hopefully that changes. The presence of a large alumni group in the DFW area can't do anything but help.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hobhog on July 01, 2016, 01:08:31 pm

$

Even back when I was at UA, I knew a number of out of staters who came to the UA because the tuition costs were lower than many of their own in state options.  Add in Dallas' proximity, ease of drive to Fay, UA's improving academic rep and the previously mention admission tightening at UT.  And change of scenery as well.  NWA is a beautiful area and that is even more true when you compare it to north Texas.  Doesn't hurt when kids look to leave their state.   

With football recruiting though, the tuition costs aren't an issue for the recruits nor are the admission standards in most cases.  We have to go back to the historic ties, proximity, ease of drive, academics, facilities, etc. 

FATHAWG08

Most Texas HS teams run the spread.
I love off season Football!!

BoynamedWooPigSooie

I think finally getting serious about recruiting Louisiana will pay off in spades.

Texas football has become pretty panty-waisted and we've got a lot of ground to make up as we've been very inconsistent over the last 27 years.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

jkstock04

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on July 01, 2016, 10:16:13 pm
I think finally getting serious about recruiting Louisiana will pay off in spades.

Texas football has become pretty panty-waisted and we've got a lot of ground to make up as we've been very inconsistent over the last 27 years.
There is a sterotype that has developed over the past few years (I heard an ESPN guy on radio couple years back talking about this) that Texas high school football is not what it once was and instead has become fairly limp wristed.

I see some talking about the spread. I'm not sure that's it. I think the spread evolution is more so a national thing across entire country not just Texas.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Muskliketusk

I don't care if a kid is from the moon if they can play they can play and HCBB will find em.
Our father who art in Heaven, Razorbacks be thy name. For the games we've won and battles done, on the road as it is at home. Give us this day our weekly win and forgive us our turnovers as we defeat those that play against us. Lead us not into devastation, but deliver us a title. For thine is the program, the pride and the Hogs, Amen.

-prayer I say every gameday.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Muskliketusk on July 02, 2016, 11:27:28 am
I don't care if a kid is from the moon if they can play they can play and HCBB will find em.
Bingo! Yep, whether a kid has a Louisiana, Texas, Florida, California or whatever origin I'm not as concerned as I am the level of competition and their own talent level. While I realize that MANY of the best players come from a handful of states, being able to identify and go after the ones we want WHEREVER they may live is a huge key to our future success. 

greenEGnHAWGS

Woulda helped if we coulda had a camp in Dallas or something...

...we should work on that.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Oklahawg

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on July 02, 2016, 11:58:01 am
Woulda helped if we coulda had a camp in Dallas or something...

...we should work on that.

Had one scheduled at Jerry's World but they require an in-state school serve as "host". "Texas Pride" kept in-state schools from doing so (political reasons).
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Peter Porker

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on June 30, 2016, 05:07:54 pm
Since '02, Tx recruits we signed:

8 - BP's first full class
3 - After the 2012 season
2- BB's first full class

So based on BP and BB, no I'm not surprised we may be on pace to sign 4-5 from Texas this class.  I think Nutt, as we are seeing in our other major sport recently, took some low hanging fruit/projects that didn't pan out because he could sign them more easily.  I think our current and last head coach each has criteria and are more selective to what they want in the recruits they sign.

Petrino signed a few good ones from Texas but most didn't pan out.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

nwahogfan1

I agree with you.  I figured with the coaches relationship's in Texas that we would not have any problems signing 5 or so Texas Studs.

But I am also with the other guys on here and don't really care where we sign our recruits as long as they can help us win.