Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is 2015 "THE" year for the Razorbacks?

Started by Lake City Hog, July 31, 2015, 11:24:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lake City Hog

First, let me say that I have some fairly high expectations for 2015. Maybe not quite as high as some of you, but pretty high!

I tend to look at things from what I call a "realistic" point of view and I'm just not sure that 2015 is our best chance for a successful season for a couple of years. I personally think that we are simply on an upward trend that 2015 will see continue in 2016.

Part of my thought process is based on few if any Juniors leaving early for the NFL. Believe it or not I think that Darius Philon may have helped us in that respect. Leaving early and falling to the 6th round probably cost him a ton of money and I think that BB uses that to persuade some from leaving.

So based on that premise I say 2016 should be another step up the ladder.

On Offense we will return 3 of 5 starting Offensive Linemen, 2 very experienced Running Backs, a LOADED group of Tight Ends and a very good group of Wide Receivers. We will also return a Redshirt Junior QB with some SEC game experience who will be pushed by a RS Sophomore and an immensely talented RS Freshman QB. With a former QB tutoring those guys all season, spring and then in fall camp I expect a much smaller drop-off than we might have expected before the coaching change.

Offensively I expect 2016 to only be slightly worse and possibly a bit better. I expect this because I truly believe that all of our QB's will get much better under Enos.

On Defense we will return everyone except for 2 back-up D'Linemen and a starting Safety. Our Defense should by all accounts be the strength of the team in 2016. We will have several Seniors scattered throughout the Defense and a LOAD of quality youngsters gaining experience for the future.

Again, I see where the 2016 Defense could be even better than this year's version.

Tell me where I am wrong.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

PonderinHog

Looks to be on the money to me.

What if Kirkland and Skipper decide to leave early?

LRRandy

2015 fall camp hasn't opened yet. You got your cart before your horse there sir.
This is fun, isn't it.

Hawghiggs

I expect to be playing in the SEC championship game come December.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Lake City Hog on July 31, 2015, 11:24:55 pm
First, let me say that I have some fairly high expectations for 2015. Maybe not quite as high as some of you, but pretty high!

I tend to look at things from what I call a "realistic" point of view and I'm just not sure that 2015 is our best chance for a successful season for a couple of years. I personally think that we are simply on an upward trend that 2015 will see continue in 2016.

Part of my thought process is based on few if any Juniors leaving early for the NFL. Believe it or not I think that Darius Philon may have helped us in that respect. Leaving early and falling to the 6th round probably cost him a ton of money and I think that BB uses that to persuade some from leaving.

On Offense we will return 3 of 5 starting Offensive Linemen, 2 very experienced Running Backs, a LOADED group of Tight Ends and a very good group of Wide Receivers. We will also return a Redshirt Junior QB with some SEC game experience who will be pushed by a RS Sophomore and an immensely talented RS Freshman QB. With a former QB tutoring those guys all season, spring and then in fall camp I expect a much smaller drop-off than we might have expected before the coaching change.

Offensively I expect 2016 to only be slightly worse and possibly a bit better. I expect this because I truly believe that all of our QB's will get much better under Enos.

On Defense we will return everyone except for 2 back-up D'Linemen and a starting Safety. Our Defense should by all accounts be the strength of the team in 2016. We will have several Seniors scattered throughout the Defense and a LOAD of quality youngsters gaining experience for the future.

Again, I see where the 2016 Defense could be even better than this year's version.

This is our break out year.  Allen is a red shirt senior QB—you don't see many of those in college football.

Our D will be better than 2014, especially by game 4.

We have an O coordinator who will utilize our backs out of the backfield in the passing game, which will be devastating for opposing Ds because of the ground game we have. 

For the first time D teams will have to play us straight up making our O better than ever at eating the clock and scoring at the end of long drives.  I see this as a step all right, but it will formidable step in a series of them.

Winning the West would not surprise me in the least.

PonderinHog

Quote from: LRRandy on August 01, 2015, 07:51:44 am
2015 fall camp hasn't opened yet. You got your cart before your horse there sir.
Yeah, those suspensions pop up at the most inopportune times!

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 01, 2015, 08:07:00 am
Is that you, Urban? ??? >:(

LRRandy

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 01, 2015, 08:07:00 am
troll. :-)  yeah, there is never a good time for all-Americans to get suspended.

I was simply referring to the fact that he is breaking down 2016 and the first whistle for the 2015 camp has yet to be blown.
This is fun, isn't it.

NuttinItUp

In 2016 we travel to TCU for one of our non-conference games, which might be kind of brutal if they continue to be as good.

Lake City Hog

My only point is that many people are saying that this is the year and that we probably take a step back in 2016. I just don't think that is true.
Yes we haven't snapped the first ball in 2015, but it is the preseason and everything should be wide open for discussion.

As I said in my preface, I do have some pretty high expectations for 2015. I don't truly expect a NC Trophy, but I do expect to win a lot of games.

LRRandy

Quote from: Lake City Hog on August 01, 2015, 11:38:56 am
My only point is that many people are saying that this is the year and that we probably take a step back in 2016. I just don't think that is true.
Yes we haven't snapped the first ball in 2015, but it is the preseason and everything should be wide open for discussion.

As I said in my preface, I do have some pretty high expectations for 2015. I don't truly expect a NC Trophy, but I do expect to win a lot of games.
im just picking nits. Anything can be discussed anytime. The title of the thread claimed 2015 as THE year and the thread broke down 2016. Kinda funny.
This is fun, isn't it.

Lake City Hog

No, the title of the thread questioned whether or not 2015 is :the: year. I'm just making the assertion that 2016 can be just as good and possibly better than 2015.

I really regret not getting Enos last year. I think that if BA had him on the sidelines we might have won the ATM and MSU games and finished 8-4 rather than 6-6. For that reason I think that our Quarterbacks could be even better in 2016.

HogWall Jackson

2015 will be a Good year with a Minimum of 8 Regular Season Wins and Probably 10 Maximum Regular Seasons Wins. I am predicting 9 Regular Season Wins an 10 Total Wins. I look for our Defense to be a Work in Progress all year.

A Good Year, but is we continue on the same Track we will win a Conference Championship in the next 5 years.

Cinco de Hogo

Homerism at its finest, long live Homer!!!

All I can say is who knows what a year will maketh.  We could either lose a couple underclassmen or keep them.  We could either get a couple wham bang recruits from JUCO or not.  We could either have a couple serious injuries or not.  We could either lose a couple coaches or not. 

In the end I think the OP was laying eggs in CBB's basket and that's a good thing...having a coach you trust that much.

ricepig

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 01, 2015, 03:16:19 pm
Homerism at its finest, long live Homer!!!

All I can say is who knows what a year will maketh.  We could either lose a couple underclassmen or keep them.  We could either get a couple wham bang recruits from JUCO or not.  We could either have a couple serious injuries or not.  We could either lose a couple coaches or not. 

In the end I think the OP was laying eggs in CBB's basket and that's a good thing...having a coach you trust that much.

From the 8 egg omelet he made the other day, I'd say Bret could always use some eggs. We're loading up, not 100% sure if we're there, yet.

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: NuttinItUp on August 01, 2015, 10:43:10 am
In 2016 we travel to TCU for one of our non-conference games, which might be kind of brutal if they continue to be as good.

TCU will be losing Boykin and we will see Kenny Trill again! But I think they do lose more than us if I'm not mistaken, a decent amount on both sides of the ball. It'll be a competitive game between two highly ranked teams.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: ricepig on August 01, 2015, 03:19:19 pm
From the 8 egg omelet he made the other day, I'd say Bret could always use some eggs. We're loading up, not 100% sure if we're there, yet.

I think we're there but we could still lose 3-4 games.  Being there doesn't have to be a conference or national championship.  If we are capable of playing good solid football we are there in my book.  Other than that, let the chip fall and we can discuss the chips.

ricepig

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 01, 2015, 04:32:16 pm
I think we're there but we could still lose 3-4 games.  Being there doesn't have to be a conference or national championship.  If we are capable of playing good solid football we are there in my book.  Other than that, let the chip fall and we can discuss the chips.

I'm 8-4 as of today, "there" is 10 wins IMO.

nchogg

What excites me is the coaches coach B brings. He makes the final decision. In his interview he also lets the defensive or offensive coaches talk to them and listens to their input before he makes a final decision. He makes sure his staff are on the same page so transitions are smooth. I see improvement on both sides of the ball. Look at things our RB coach brought. His hires make all the coaches and players better. "Are you ready for some football" Go Hogs!

alohawg

Cautious optimism for me, otherwise I might hyperventilate in anticipation of 2015.  :)
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

hawgXi

Quote from: Hoggish1 on August 01, 2015, 07:55:45 am
This is our break out year.  Allen is a red shirt senior QB—you don't see many of those in college football.

Our D will be better than 2014, especially by game 4.

We have an O coordinator who will utilize our backs out of the backfield in the passing game, which will be devastating for opposing Ds because of the ground game we have. 

For the first time D teams will have to play us straight up making our O better than ever at eating the clock and scoring at the end of long drives.  I see this as a step all right, but it will formidable step in a series of them.

Winning the West would not surprise me in the least.

no surprise to me either

threeNout

Just getting around to reading this and it's indicative of similar debates lately.

It's good logic and I agree to a point.  Our base, our foundation should be broader and stronger in 2016 than in 2015.

But the foundation is pretty strong now, at a time when we have a wealth of experience and talent in the backfield.  We should be able to continue to plug new talent into that backfield starting in 2016, but don't under estimate the value of having two SRs and a JR in the starting backfield now.

It also comes at a time when much of the SEC is breaking in new QBs, I predict this will make it a volatile year in the SEC, as some new QBs perform better than expected, some worse.

I believe we can survive the SEC with only a loss or two, and that could be enough to win the West.

Having said that, if Enos takes us to the next level offensively, we have the tools to win them all.

as always, we have to stay healthy, and back to your point, we will be able to sustain injuries better from 2016 onward than we can in 2015.

QB, LB, WR,  We can't afford injuries in those three positions for sure, but I feel like we have the hosses in 2015 to win the SEC, and wouldn't need near as many breaks, or "luck",  as we would have needed in year's past, it's a good time.

HF#1

This is the year it begins imo.  You can see the depth building at every position.  You can see the development from year to year of players.  I don't see any drop offs coming. 

Even when BA leaves, we have a Junior who has been in the Enos system two years already in Austin Allen.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Cinco de Hogo

If the Enos experiment is everything most of us seem to think its is it would follow thst we won't have worry so much about the QB situation and that includes the backups.  No team in the league has an experienced backup for their former backup thst is now the starter.  See how that works and I think it is actually a positive for Arkansas not a question mark, at least not anymore so and possibly even less thst any other team in the SEC.

gmarv

we look to me to be better than a 8 win team,a few good breaks and we will be a 10 or 11 gamewinner.i don,t see us winning less than 8.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: LRRandy on August 01, 2015, 10:38:56 am
troll. :-)  yeah, there is never a good time for all-Americans to get suspended.

I was simply referring to the fact that he is breaking down 2016 and the first whistle for the 2015 camp has yet to be blown.

Yeah I didn't get that before.. I'd say 2015 we will be better record wise than 2016... I just don't see a first year QB getting us where we need to be. 2017..? Prolly better...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

AugustaHog

The main support for your debate about 2016>2015 would be what we return on D.  The only significant loss would be Rohan Gaines from this current D.  There is no true heir apparent at that spot, but we would've said the same prior to the emergence of Liddell last season.  Our D should be absurd next year.  I think with outstanding years, we may see guys like Skipper, Kirkland, Henry, and/or AC leave for the NFL early.  If all of those guys return, I could see 2016 being built for big things.  We would be able to minimize the pressure and what is required of our new QB, whoever that may be.  There are too many question marks about what that team may look like since we don't know who's leaving early, who's transferring, who would be coming in from the HS ranks/JUCO, and what our coaching staff will even look like. 

Hogwild

QuoteTell me where I am wrong.

I would say here-

Quotewe will return 3 of 5 starting Offensive Linemen, 2 very experienced Running Backs

With the success I think we will have this year, we will lose some JRs.
I have a feeling we lose both RBs next year, knowing that Chubb & Fournette are coming out the following season.

threeNout

strike while the iron is hot.

2016 can be about repeating.  :)