Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Here we go...maybe the last great TIME WASTING thread of the off season...

Started by WizardofhOgZ, July 31, 2015, 02:05:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

This came up because I submitted a candidate to a client; he was subsequently hired (I'm in the staffing business) and started yesterday. The client emailed me a little while ago to razz me because it turned out that I had spelled the candidate's last name wrong.  I had presented the last name as "Reid", when - in fact - it was "Ried".  Not a huge deal - I know this client pretty well, but he was busting my balls a little bit, because our mistake caused him to generate the wrong ID, etc. (getting his workstation set up) because of the error.

Turns out the mistake was made when our admin - who transfers "raw" resumes to our formatted version - "read" it as "Reid" (easy mistake to make in this case, IMO) and when I got the resume (it had been sourced by someone else in my office) to present to my client, I saw nothing wrong with the name Reid (sounded like the name she had told me) and just forwarded it after proofing.  Had it been, say, "Smjth" instead of "Smith", I'd have seen it right away.  But I don't ever think I've seen the last name Ried; if I have, I don't remember it.  On the other hand, I've seen "Reid" and "Reed" many, many times, so there was nothing unusual that stood out.

It got me to wondering, and I found this (see link below) site that you can put virtually any existing last name (this is for the USA), and it will tell you where that name ranks in terms of most frequently held among US citizens (based on the Census).  Sure enough, "Reid" is about a top 200 name (averaging the last 2 censuses), and "Reed" is even more common - around the 50th.  However, "Ried" is down around 19,000.

It's a fun thing to play around with.  Everyone will put their own name in - of course.  Then, probably, their spouse's maiden name, in-laws, friends, etc.  Just an interesting little time-killer for the last few days of summer doldrums.

http://www.pbs.org/pov/thesweetestsound/popindex.php?name=white&Submit=Submit

The site asks if you can identify the most common 7 surnames in the USA.  I took about 2 minutes and jotted down 7 - four of them were correct.

HogShat

pignparadise

111,703 for mine. My wife's name did not exist in their database
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

MO.Hog

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: MO.Hog on July 31, 2015, 02:33:24 pm
#1 here

And I'll bet that neither you, nor anyone else was/would be surprised by that name being #1.

MO.Hog

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on July 31, 2015, 02:34:26 pm
And I'll bet that neither you, nor anyone else was/would be surprised by that name being #1.

Not at all, didn't stop me from making sure though haha.

Sow’sEar

nice.

here is another good site if you are interested in how many people have your same first and last name combo

www.howmanyofme.com

hawginbigd1

thirrdegreetusker

I tried to guess the top names, without looking at the list. Of my first 6 guesses, 5 were in the top 7.

Sow’sEar

Another neat site to kill time on is:   www.globalrichlist.com

put in your net annual income and it will tell you how wealthy you are compared to the global population.

its unreal how wealthy we are in this country...  makes you really think...

Biggus Piggus

In 1990, Poot was ranked #54858.
In 2000, Poot was ranked #61159.

The name Poot has been searched 4 times
out of 2965162 total searches on the Popularity Index.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Piggus, as a surname, does not exist in this database, because it is not among the most common names in the United States.

You are the first visitor to this site to enter that name (out of a total of 2965164 name entries).
[CENSORED]!

Doug

Quote from: Lulu Hognice.

here is another good site if you are interested in how many people have your same first and last name combo

www.howmanyofme.com
There are 9 people with my name... and two of 'em are here, in Georgia. The other DH works for Coca Cola (mid-level executive, I believe). I'm the only one, when my full name is used. :)
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

robs4516

I was shocked, shocked to find that Smith is the #1 name in the USA!!!

In 1990, smith was ranked #1.
In 2000, smith was ranked #1.

The name smith has been searched 29740 times
out of 2965230 total searches on the Popularity Index.
First of all, I didn't start it...
Second of all, they were all still alive when I walked out

WarPig88

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on July 31, 2015, 02:05:28 pm
This came up because I submitted a candidate to a client; he was subsequently hired (I'm in the staffing business) and started yesterday. The client emailed me a little while ago to razz me because it turned out that I had spelled the candidate's last name wrong.  I had presented the last name as "Reid", when - in fact - it was "Ried".  Not a huge deal - I know this client pretty well, but he was busting my balls a little bit, because our mistake caused him to generate the wrong ID, etc. (getting his workstation set up) because of the error.

Turns out the mistake was made when our admin - who transfers "raw" resumes to our formatted version - "read" it as "Reid" (easy mistake to make in this case, IMO) and when I got the resume (it had been sourced by someone else in my office) to present to my client, I saw nothing wrong with the name Reid (sounded like the name she had told me) and just forwarded it after proofing.  Had it been, say, "Smjth" instead of "Smith", I'd have seen it right away.  But I don't ever think I've seen the last name Ried; if I have, I don't remember it.  On the other hand, I've seen "Reid" and "Reed" many, many times, so there was nothing unusual that stood out.

It got me to wondering, and I found this (see link below) site that you can put virtually any existing last name (this is for the USA), and it will tell you where that name ranks in terms of most frequently held among US citizens (based on the Census).  Sure enough, "Reid" is about a top 200 name (averaging the last 2 censuses), and "Reed" is even more common - around the 50th.  However, "Ried" is down around 19,000.

It's a fun thing to play around with.  Everyone will put their own name in - of course.  Then, probably, their spouse's maiden name, in-laws, friends, etc.  Just an interesting little time-killer for the last few days of summer doldrums.

http://www.pbs.org/pov/thesweetestsound/popindex.php?name=white&Submit=Submit

The site asks if you can identify the most common 7 surnames in the USA.  I took about 2 minutes and jotted down 7 - four of them were correct.

I thought this would be another stadium debate thread.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 31, 2015, 04:42:54 pm
Piggus, as a surname, does not exist in this database, because it is not among the most common names in the United States.

You are the first visitor to this site to enter that name (out of a total of 2965164 name entries).

Oklahawg as well. Doug's site shows that there are "1 or fewer" of me. Many would suggest "fewer".
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Dr. Starcs

Hog N Bama

I just remember the general rule I before E, except after C. That's how I remember to spell Bielema  ;D

Hoggish1

longtimeHogfan

I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: Doug on July 31, 2015, 04:45:05 pm
There are 9 people with my name... and two of 'em are here, in Georgia. The other DH works for Coca Cola (mid-level executive, I believe). I'm the only one, when my full name is used. :)

Before I retired there were two of us in our company with the exact same first, middle & last names.  We were constantly getting our 401K, Credit Union, Expense reports, etc., etc., confused.   When dealing with anything financial within the company we got to where we'd both caution that there are two of us in the system and I'm the one down here or up here as the case may be. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

BirmingHam

There were two of us in my Air Force basic training flight with the same first and last name  On the initial roll call, the TI was getting pissed until he looked down the list and saw two with same first and last names.  The other guy was from Minnesota, both of us were white and around the same height.  I was about to beat the sh@# outa that other guy after the TI called my name 3 times with two people yelling "here".

RebelliousHog

"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci