Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Overlooked Newcomers for 2015

Started by scruf, July 31, 2015, 06:14:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

scruf

July 31, 2015, 06:14:51 am Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 08:09:51 am by scruf
Of course we're all talking about Jeremiah Ledbetter, Hijalte Froholdt, Dominique Reed and Will Gragg, as we should be. Those players should figure into the rotation immediately and play meaningful snaps in big games. Let's take a minute to talk about some of the new guys that aren't getting as much attention.

My pick for most overlooked player (so far) is La'Michael Pettway from Nashville, AR. At 6'2", 205lbs (and growing), La'Michael already looks the part of an SEC receiver. He has great hands, ample speed, and knows how to find holes in the defense. He uses his body to shield smaller defensive backs when working in tight spaces, like the end zone or the sidelines. We don't have a WR on the roster built quite like him but if I had to pick a role for him it would be similar to what Keon Hatcher does: Move the chains. Make big blocks. Run the sweep. He's pretty salty on the other side of the ball as well:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1569890/highlights/209911376/v2

La'Michael was offered by Alabama (where he has two cousins on the roster), defending champ Ohio State, and a host of other P5 powerhouses but stayed home instead to play for the Hogs. He was tabbed the #60 WR in the country by ESPN Recruiting and #55 by 24/7. If we average his positional ranking (58) and then take the number of P5 teams + Notre Dame/BYU (66), we can draw additional conclusions about his potential at the collegiate level. What am I talking about?

Every year, teams try to go out and get at least 1 difference maker at WR. One guy who they think can feature in their offense. In any given year, there are 66 WR recruits who will fill those roles and because of this, any wide receiver ranked above #66 at his position (whether by the recruiting services, or, more importantly, by a P5 coaching staff) is deemed to be a guy that could be "the guy." La'Michael is one of those guys.

If we look past his #58 *composite WR ranking and focus solely on his offer list, his rating goes up.

Best Offers:

Alabama
Arkansas
Auburn
Louisville
LSU
Mississippi
Ohio State

The fact that La'Michael was offered by half of the teams (Alabama, Ohio State) that made CFB's inaugural playoff is big. The fact that those two offenses both ranked in the Top 10 in total offense last year in the FBS (1-A) is no coincidence. Those programs put a premium on offense and don't have time to waste on players lacking the requisite potential. The LSU offer really stands out as well. Let's look at the success they've had with the position over the last 15 years (Saban, Miles):

First-round picks last 15 years: 4
Top three rounds: 10
Total drafted: 14

That's second only to Miami over the same span.
(http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000495322/article/uwho-lsu-miami-top-contenders-for-title-of-wide-receiver-u)

What does all of this mean for La'Michael and the Hogs? The good news is that there's no pressure on either party to get on the field early, even though he's physically ready now. La'Michael graded out in college as a WR that can have impact at the next level for teams that expect to win big. How well LP transitions in fall camp will go a long way in determining how early and often he hits the field.

I like his odds.  :razorback:

Who do you think has been the least talked about newcomer to this point?

* I couldn't find his position ranking on Scout and his position ranking on Rivals was an outlier (outside the Top 100 WR)

Steef

ricepig

scruf

Quote from: steefhog on July 31, 2015, 06:21:13 am
Nice post.
Thanks man! It will be fun to see new stars emerge this year.

HogWildBison2011

Love the info in this post. My overlooked Newcomer is Dre Greenlaw aka "Big Play Dre". He played S in high school at Fayetteville but Robb has told him he will compete for the WLB spot. This guy played on both sides of the ball and kick/punt returns and is a heck of a tackler. Will he break into the 2 deep at LB this season I'm not sure but I do believe he will be a immediate help on special teams. Anytime I watch his film I keep thinking I would love to see him as a gunner on punts chasing guys down in open space. He posted on social media recently that he is up to 228 lbs and still has 4.5 speed.

http://247sports.com/Player/Dre-Greenlaw-23767
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1904714/dre-greenlaw

MultipleScoreGasms

Wow.  Well thought out.  Really enjoyed it.

MuskogeeHogFan

Jamario Bell and Derrick Graham might make some noise this year. At least I hope so.
Go Hogs Go!

PGTIGERHOG

I like Jamario Bell.  Underdeveloped due to going from sport to sport to sport all throughout HS.  He did not have as much recruiting interest because he committed early and never waivered.  With is athletic ability and concentrating on one sport there is no ceiling on what he can do.  Give him a year to develop and I believe he will be one of the leaders of the defense for three years.

rzrbaxfan

I like Josh Harris.  He'll be overlooked because of his size, but this kid has a football mind.  He's always around the ball and can hit hard.  I'll guess that we'll hear his name called on special teams early on, and he'll make some noise when he's on the field at LB.

HF#1

Great post.  Agree on all fronts.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

davispard

There are several of these '15 guys that are going to help early, but my favorite recruit in this class is Cantrell.  He's going to get on the field early and often.  He'll likely play a couple of different positions, but this kid is as an athlete through and through.  Before he's thru with his career, I predict he'll be one we'll be remembering for many years.  JMO...

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: HogWildBison2011 on July 31, 2015, 06:41:51 am
Love the info in this post. My overlooked Newcomer is Dre Greenlaw aka "Big Play Dre". He played S in high school at Fayetteville but Robb has told him he will compete for the WLB spot. This guy played on both sides of the ball and kick/punt returns and is a heck of a tackler. Will he break into the 2 deep at LB this season I'm not sure but I do believe he will be a immediate help on special teams. Anytime I watch his film I keep thinking I would love to see him as a gunner on punts chasing guys down in open space. He posted on social media recently that he is up to 228 lbs and still has 4.5 speed.

http://247sports.com/Player/Dre-Greenlaw-23767
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1904714/dre-greenlaw

There are quite a few I've got my eyes on, but I like your pick.

I just think this kid is WAY under-rated, and he's going to be a difference maker against those spreads that we'll see.

A coaches kid's brain with the right combination of size and speed and instinct.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

AugustaHog

I would have to agree with the guys who are touting the new LB's.  There is more opportunity at that spot than any other on the roster.  Obviously, we expect Reed and Ledbetter to get time, but they are JUCO guys.  The true FR that have the best chance to see the field early are guys like Greenlaw, Graham, and Jackson.  If they are physically prepared, they may cut into the 2 deep by SEC play.  I think there are some good ones in that bunch and if they are cultivated properly, we could really have a nasty LB rotation for not just this season, but the next as well.  Most are projecting a downturn for our team in 2016 based off all the SRs/Jrs moving on, but our D returns nearly everyone.  We should expect our D to be even better in '16 and I think these guys will be a big part of that.

PIGmalion

Quote from: davispard on July 31, 2015, 07:43:36 am
There are several of these '15 guys that are going to help early, but my favorite recruit in this class is Cantrell.  He's going to get on the field early and often.  He'll likely play a couple of different positions, but this kid is as an athlete through and through.  Before he's thru with his career, I predict he'll be one we'll be remembering for many years.  JMO...
^^This^^ I believe Cantrell is one of those "freak athletes", 6'3" 250 lbs, ran leg of 4X100 relay team in high school and finished second in the state in shot put. I can see this guy at slot, FB, TE, DE, LB. I'm not trying to put any expectations or limits on him, but I believe he is a Matt Jones type of athlete. I can't wait to see what this kid will bring to our team. However, there are many in this class that I believe we will enjoy watching over the next 4-5 years. WPS

Theolesnort

Quote from: davispard on July 31, 2015, 07:43:36 am
I see you did your homework. ;)
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

scruf

Quote from: DeltaBoy on July 31, 2015, 08:56:26 am
JC boy Dominic R.

Quote from: scruf on July 31, 2015, 06:14:51 am
Of course we're all talking about Jeremiah Ledbetter, Hijalte Froholdt, Dominique Reed...
I kid, I kid  ;) :razorback:

JIHawg

TDHawgs

Jamario Bell is going to be a beast for us, not sure he will get much playing time this year, but watch out for him because he's the real deal!

smb

Hope they make huge strides this year.
GeorgiaHOG

The Kig

Great thread...  Looks like we have a few gems in this class. 

Sometimes it's easy to overlook players who come from NW Ar, sign early, or in state kids from small schools over highly touted and out of state.  The reminders (aka information) detailed out above are much appreciated. 

Would love to see one of the Fr/redshirt Fr make a splash at LB
Poker Porker

ifghog

Quote from: scruf on July 31, 2015, 06:14:51 am
Of course we're all talking about Jeremiah Ledbetter, Hijalte Froholdt, Dominique Reed and Will Gragg, as we should be. Those players should figure into the rotation immediately and play meaningful snaps in big games. Let's take a minute to talk about some of the new guys that aren't getting as much attention.

My pick for most overlooked player (so far) is La'Michael Pettway from Nashville, AR. At 6'2", 205lbs (and growing), La'Michael already looks the part of an SEC receiver. He has great hands, ample speed, and knows how to find holes in the defense. He uses his body to shield smaller defensive backs when working in tight spaces, like the end zone or the sidelines. We don't have a WR on the roster built quite like him but if I had to pick a role for him it would be similar to what Keon Hatcher does: Move the chains. Make big blocks. Run the sweep. He's pretty salty on the other side of the ball as well:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1569890/highlights/209911376/v2

La'Michael was offered by Alabama (where he has two cousins on the roster), defending champ Ohio State, and a host of other P5 powerhouses but stayed home instead to play for the Hogs. He was tabbed the #60 WR in the country by ESPN Recruiting and #55 by 24/7. If we average his positional ranking (58) and then take the number of P5 teams + Notre Dame/BYU (66), we can draw additional conclusions about his potential at the collegiate level. What am I talking about?

Every year, teams try to go out and get at least 1 difference maker at WR. One guy who they think can feature in their offense. In any given year, there are 66 WR recruits who will fill those roles and because of this, any wide receiver ranked above #66 at his position (whether by the recruiting services, or, more importantly, by a P5 coaching staff) is deemed to be a guy that could be "the guy." La'Michael is one of those guys.

If we look past his #58 *composite WR ranking and focus solely on his offer list, his rating goes up.

Best Offers:

Alabama
Arkansas
Auburn
Louisville
LSU
Mississippi
Ohio State

The fact that La'Michael was offered by half of the teams (Alabama, Ohio State) that made CFB's inaugural playoff is big. The fact that those two offenses both ranked in the Top 10 in total offense last year in the FBS (1-A) is no coincidence. Those programs put a premium on offense and don't have time to waste on players lacking the requisite potential. The LSU offer really stands out as well. Let's look at the success they've had with the position over the last 15 years (Saban, Miles):

First-round picks last 15 years: 4
Top three rounds: 10
Total drafted: 14

That's second only to Miami over the same span.
(http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000495322/article/uwho-lsu-miami-top-contenders-for-title-of-wide-receiver-u)

What does all of this mean for La'Michael and the Hogs? The good news is that there's no pressure on either party to get on the field early, even though he's physically ready now. La'Michael graded out in college as a WR that can have impact at the next level for teams that expect to win big. How well LP transitions in fall camp will go a long way in determining how early and often he hits the field.

I like his odds.  :razorback:

Who do you think has been the least talked about newcomer to this point?

* I couldn't find his position ranking on Scout and his position ranking on Rivals was an outlier (outside the Top 100 WR)
Fantastic man! +1

younghog

Scruf good Pick and info on Pettway 

Great thread as well.. I'd have to go with a DFW local in RWIII .. RW is the REAL DEAL.. Hoping he does not see the field this year but when he does..

I would rank him as not DMAC ready i.e. freshman year as there is no need but worthy to take the helm behind AC as I hope AC is still in the fold next year.

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

scruf

Quote from: rzrbaxfan on July 31, 2015, 07:31:44 am

I like Josh Harris.  He'll be overlooked because of his size, but this kid has a football mind.  He's always around the ball and can hit hard.  I'll guess that we'll hear his name called on special teams early on, and he'll make some noise when he's on the field at LB.
He's been discounted by some on here due to his size. I'm sure opponents won't feel the same way.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

This thread (and the other one about surprise stars) http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=595849.0   ...lead me to believe our last two classes have been better than we know.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

gmarv

Bigdavis

Pettway was coached up by one of the best in the business too. Coach Dawson is a guy I will never forget. He was the only person that could ever motivate me to work harder.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2015/jul/31/growing-expectations-20150731/

Billy Dawson believes big things are ahead for La'Michael Pettway.

The Arkansas Razorbacks hope he's right.

Pettway, 6-2, 210 pounds, did plenty of big things the past two seasons as a play-making receiver and defensive back for the Nashville Scrappers, but his former coach said his best days are ahead of him.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on August 01, 2015, 03:36:01 am
This thread (and the other one about surprise stars) http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=595849.0   ...lead me to believe our last two classes have been better than we know.
My thoughts exactly! IMO last year was one of our best recruiting classes ever, top 3 at least, couldn't care less about rankings and stars this class was loaded with studs! I might say best ever if we had landed OL guy from Houston.

Just a what if thinking about these guys, nickel or dime situations, Dre come in and play outside and move Ellis to the middle?