Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

9 Years Ago Today

Started by LSUFan, July 31, 2015, 12:21:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

LSUFan

http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2006/07/31/eells-dies-in-car-accident-update

UPDATE (10:56 p.m.): Arkansas State Police trooper Bradley Gilkey reports that Eells died in a two-vehicle accident on Interstate 40 in Russellville. The driver of the other car, Billie Jo Burton of Dover, also was killed.

The accident occurred at approximately 8:13 p.m.

Damn I miss him, He was a good, kind, genuine person.

Prayers for the Burton and Eell's Family.

I do not celebrate his death, I celebrate his life, and how he made this world a better place, outside of his broadcasting career.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

Justifiable Hogicide

He was one of the nicest men ever associated with the Razorback program.
Paul will be long remembered.

Arazorbackguy1

I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

hamsam

Great sportsman was Mr Paul Eells! No one will ever replace him as far as I'm concerned. The only one that would have come close was Scott Inman...
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

OneTuskOverTheLine™

I say it every time he is mentioned, but I have never met a public figure more humble and selfless.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

goodguytex

Everything about him and the way he lived his life seemed to be selfless and giving of himself to others. He will always be loved and remembered by Razorback nation. May his family have comfort and peace on this 9th anniversary of his death.

HF#1

Miss that guy.  Can't hardly listen to a call without getting choked up and teary eyed. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

gmarv

I never met him, but I think about him regularly during football season.he was ,is, always will be the voice of my razorbacks.God bless Paul Eels. 

smb

Nobody could say Touchdown Arkansas!!! like Paul.
GeorgiaHOG

davispard

Quote from: smb on July 31, 2015, 07:39:49 am
Amen!!!!

hoglady

It's always seemed weird to me that the 2 best "voices of the Razorbacks" - Paul Eells and Bud Campbell were both killed in auto accidents. What are the odds on that? I was stunned and saddened by both.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Theolesnort

When I think of a mellow golden voiced singer I think of Jim Reeves. When I think of a mellow golden voice of the Razorbacks I think of two, Bob Cheyne and Paul Eels. We were very fortunate to have had them both.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

DeltaBoy

Prayers sent for His and Her Families today and for all of us who miss him.

Sad to think Paul and Bud Campbell both died tragic deaths and in the Prime of their Broadcasting careers.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hoglady

Quote from: DeltaBoy on July 31, 2015, 08:26:48 am
Prayers sent for His and Her Families today and for all of us who miss him.

Sad to think Paul and Bud Campbell both died tragic deaths and in the Prime of their Broadcasting careers.

Campbell was truly in his prime. I had forgotten how young he was when he died - 51 I believe.
I was a teenager then so he seemed old to me at the time - I realize now he was in the prime of his career.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Hoggish1

Quote from: LSUFan on July 31, 2015, 12:21:18 am
http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2006/07/31/eells-dies-in-car-accident-update

UPDATE (10:56 p.m.): Arkansas State Police trooper Bradley Gilkey reports that Eells died in a two-vehicle accident on Interstate 40 in Russellville. The driver of the other car, Billie Jo Burton of Dover, also was killed.

The accident occurred at approximately 8:13 p.m.

Damn I miss him, He was a good, kind, genuine person.

Prayers for the Burton and Eell's Family.

I do not celebrate his death, I celebrate his life, and how he made this world a better place, outside of his broadcasting career.

Well said, LSUFan.

It was a very sad day for all of us!

DeltaBoy

Quote from: hoglady on July 31, 2015, 10:25:14 am
Campbell was truly in his prime. I had forgotten how young he was when he died - 51 I believe.
I was a teenager then so he seemed old to me at the time - I realize now he was in the prime of his career.
It also sad that we don't have as much online recordings of Bud either.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

razorcash2

Quote from: smb on July 31, 2015, 07:39:49 am
...NOBODY.

razorcash2

Hoggard

I was very lucky to have met Paul more than once. As a kid at games my parents would point him out and he was ALWAYS smiling. As a young adult (recently married) I ran into him in Maumelle. My wife (a texas native) had no idea who he was and couldn't understand why I was making such a big deal out of having ran into this guy. To her he was just another guy. And he was so humble he wouldn't have had it any other way.

I thanked him for all the years I had enjoyed listening to him be the voice of the Razorbacks. And without question he was one of the most gracious and most genuine person I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.

IMO there is NO replacing a legend like Paul.
God is Love. Its as simple as that. It's the one fruit I can and WILL judge you by.

Hoggard

Oh I just want to add one more thing. I also met Steve Sullivan a few years later. And as Forrest Gump would say. Thats all I have to say about that.
God is Love. Its as simple as that. It's the one fruit I can and WILL judge you by.

Omahabound

Hard to believe it was that long ago...Still calling TD Arkansas from Heaven. How awesome to sit next to the Lord Jesus Christ and watch a Razorbacks game.

hoss cartrack

Quote from: HF#1 on July 31, 2015, 07:29:09 am
Miss that guy.  Can't hardly listen to a call without getting choked up and teary eyed.

same here.  it will never be quite right again on the radio.
hey baby....you look like a real bad idea.   come on over herel

hoss cartrack

Quote from: Omahabound on July 31, 2015, 01:17:07 pm
Hard to believe it was that long ago...Still calling TD Arkansas from Heaven. How awesome to sit next to the Lord Jesus Christ and watch a Razorbacks game.

I plan to know one day....get to watch and listen with Dad again.
hey baby....you look like a real bad idea.   come on over herel

Omahabound

Quote from: hoss cartrack on July 31, 2015, 01:39:36 pm
I plan to know one day....get to watch and listen with Dad again.
Same here! My mom joined the Razorbacks Heavens last year!

JudgeHogg

Probably the nicest and most genuine man I ever met.
JudgeHogg

hawginbigd1

He is in rare company in my book, only person I would compare is Keith Jackson and no not the PARK one! Missed truly! RIP PE!

Medic821

I pass by where the accident occurred all the time.  Miss him.

Pigdiana Jones

"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

sowmonella

Paul lived around the corner from me. A finer man I have never met. I remember driving by his house early the next morning and seeing Coach Broyles walking up the driveway to the house.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

SamBuckhart

Quote from: hoglady on July 31, 2015, 08:12:43 am
It's always seemed weird to me that the 2 best "voices of the Razorbacks" - Paul Eells and Bud Campbell were both killed in auto accidents. What are the odds on that? I was stunned and saddened by both.
Two great voices, for sure.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

PonderinHog

They were both great, but Bud had just the right amount of gravel in his throat.   :razorback:

lumphog

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on July 31, 2015, 04:50:13 am
I say it every time he is mentioned, but I have never met a public figure more humble and selfless.
I fish with Levon's God son, and was fortunate to meet him several times.....and got to meet Paul once.... They were both humble "down home" guys......I miss them both.... Great men, and there aren't many left.

Torqued pork

Paul Eels the man won't ever be replaced.

As for Bud Campbell goes, having been born in '61 Bud, Frank and Orville were the three most important men in the world as far as I was concerned.

Professor Psychosis

I think about that every time I pass through Mile Marker 83 on I-40.

I came upon the wreck site after it happened that night.  Cops were detouring people to the offramp.

Just crazy to think that next year, it'll already be 10 years.

OLDHOG

Quote from: Omahabound on July 31, 2015, 01:17:07 pm
It doesn't get any better than that. Sounds like heaven, don't it?

BigPapaHawg

WOO PIG