Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Start of Fall Practice?

Started by garazorbacker, July 30, 2015, 12:05:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

garazorbacker

Can someone please tell me the players' report date and the first day of practice for the fall? Thanks

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: garazorbacker on July 30, 2015, 12:05:36 pm
Can someone please tell me the players' report date and the first day of practice for the fall? Thanks

I believe that Bielema mentioned August 5th, but Mike Irwin should know for sure.
Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 30, 2015, 12:11:26 pm
I believe that Bielema mentioned August 5th, but Mike Irwin should know for sure.

I'm thinking, report on the 5th, first practice the 6th. Not that they all aren't here anyway, but I believe that is correct.

Mike Irwin

There's no "report" date these days because the players are here all summer. I think today is the last summer workout.

The first team practice is next Thursday. Based on what's happened in the past, the first few days there will be no video except what the school shoots. Bielema, his coaches and selected players will talk after practice approximately three days a week.

It's possible they will open up one of the early Saturday scrimmages. An official August schedule has not been posted yet.

Mike Irwin

I'm pretty sure the players will be allowed to go home for a few days if practical. So Wednesday would technically be a report date even though it's not like it was in the old days when most of the team would come in for the first time in the summer, take the pre-season conditioning test and get issued equipment.

As I recall there will be a team meal at the FOC Wednesday evening. Last year the media was allowed to take pictures, get video and talk to some of the players.

ricepig

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 30, 2015, 12:25:14 pm
I'm pretty sure the players will be allowed to go home for a few days if practical. So Wednesday would technically be a report date even though it's not like it was in the old days when most of the team would come in for the first time in the summer, take the pre-season conditioning test and get issued equipment.

As I recall there will be a team meal at the FOC Wednesday evening. Last year the media was allowed to take pictures, get video and talk to some of the players.

Correct, thus the "report" date.

Mike Irwin

Yes. Like if you want to go home for a long weekend fine but make sure you're back here by Wednesday.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 30, 2015, 12:30:51 pm
Yes. Like if you want to go home for a long weekend fine but make sure you're back here by Wednesday.
When can we expect your report ???

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 30, 2015, 12:31:44 pm

Probably when he has something to report on.

Just a guess though.
This is my non-signature signature.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 30, 2015, 12:31:44 pm
Up to about 2002 report day was a big deal. We'd go over and video the players getting fitted for their equipment. This was especially significant for incoming freshmen like Batman Carroll. It would be the first time fans would get a good look at a kid like that. We could interview them. It made for a good story after a dull summer.

I remember shooting video of Batman as he was getting fitted for shoulder pads. He kept complaining that they didn't fit. The equipment guy told him tough, those were the pads he was going to get. Batman whipped out his giant cellphone and called D-Nutt who came downstairs and made sure he got shoulder pads that fit.

The day after the report day they'd have the pre-season conditioning test. I still remember when the freshman QB from Clarksville failed it which was astounding. Joe Ferguson called him out on TV and the next day the kid snuck away from the first pre-season practice and quit the team.

Compared to what there is to report these days (the players eating a meal) that stuff was compelling.  ;D

So in answer to the question, I guess my first report will be Wednesday as we show the players breaking bread together.

PonderinHog

Well, in the meantime, can't you make something up ???

We're dying up in here, Mike, and Grober's being mean to me.

I've reported him to Ricepig, but he won't do anything about it.

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 30, 2015, 12:52:14 pm

Hell, I encouraged him.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 30, 2015, 12:52:14 pm

If you want something made up go to Jump Ball. They're very creative over there.

Professor Psychosis

If practice starts August 6 (next Thursday), then going from memory, I would expect August 22 (the second Saturday after that, and 2 Saturdays before UTEP) to be the open scrimmage date, if Bielema does one this year.  I've gone to both of the ones he's done, and it seems like the scrimmage has been 2 weeks before the first game, but, I could be wrong (memory is a funny thing sometimes).

Mike Irwin

Hog N Bama

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 30, 2015, 01:36:07 pm
If you want something made up go to Jump Ball. They're very creative over there.
Can you find Reed and ask him how he is?  ;D

Mike Irwin

We'll get shot of him eating and ask him the secret to his sub 4.3 speed.

HogFan1973

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 30, 2015, 12:47:11 pm
Up to about 2002 report day was a big deal. We'd go over and video the players getting fitted for their equipment. This was especially significant for incoming freshmen like Batman Carroll. It would be the first time fans would get a good look at a kid like that. We could interview them. It made for a good story after a dull summer.

I remember shooting video of Batman as he was getting fitted for shoulder pads. He kept complaining that they didn't fit. The equipment guy told him tough, those were the pads he was going to get. Batman whipped out his giant cellphone and called D-Nutt who came downstairs and made sure he got shoulder pads that fit.

The day after the report day they'd have the pre-season conditioning test. I still remember when the freshman QB from Clarksville failed it which was astounding. Joe Ferguson called him out on TV and the next day the kid snuck away from the first pre-season practice and quit the team.

Compared to what there is to report these days (the players eating a meal) that stuff was compelling.  ;D

So in answer to the question, I guess my first report will be Wednesday as we show the players breaking bread together.

that's good stuff right there.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 30, 2015, 01:50:48 pm
We'll get shot of him eating and ask him the secret to his sub 4.3 speed.

We had a guy take an physical fitness test (Army) this morning and was one second faster on his two-mile run than last week. Discussed it. Must have ate mexican food last night and it was the gas. If he's eating a bowl of beans, you have your answer.
This is my non-signature signature.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on July 30, 2015, 04:19:29 pm
We had a guy take an physical fitness test (Army) this morning and was one second faster on his two-mile run than last week. Discussed it. Must have ate mexican food last night and it was the gas. If he's eating a bowl of beans, you have your answer.
I'm sure it depends on how many time he chews his food before he swallows it.  Would someone count his chews, please?  This is important!

yodcw2003

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 30, 2015, 12:47:11 pm
Joe Ferguson called him out on TV and the next day the kid snuck away from the first pre-season practice and quit the team.

My dad was a TE from '72-76 and tells a great Joe Ferguson story. We're also from Shreveport, so my dad kinda knew Joe a little bit coming in as a freshman. He thought Joe may show a little hometown favoritism towards him.

During the first day of fall ball they were running routes when Joe fired a pass to my dad that him square in the nose. He was all dizzy and seeing stars running back to the line when Joe turns to him and says:

"Catch the f*%king ball freshman."

smb

Look forward to starting of practice counting the days till game time.
GeorgiaHOG

Wmhog

Quote from: yodcw2003 on July 31, 2015, 09:13:09 am
My dad was a TE from '72-76 and tells a great Joe Ferguson story. We're also from Shreveport, so my dad kinda knew Joe a little bit coming in as a freshman. He thought Joe may show a little hometown favoritism towards him.

During the first day of fall ball they were running routes when Joe fired a pass to my dad that him square in the nose. He was all dizzy and seeing stars running back to the line when Joe turns to him and says:

Now that is how a QB should run the huddle.  Great and Funny story!

Texas Burning

Joe could run the huddle and team. It's a shame they wouldn't let him call the plays.

SamBuckhart

Quote from: yodcw2003 on July 31, 2015, 09:13:09 am

Thanks for sharing. The name Doug Yoder flashed thru my feeble old mind
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: Texas Burning on July 31, 2015, 01:56:58 pm
Joe could run the huddle and team. It's a shame they wouldn't let him call the plays.

That's why Hooty's first two teams at Arkansas did as well as they did. Joe Ferguson was standing next to Hooty telling him what plays to call. When Joe quit after what happen with Brashears, things really went down hill.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!