Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Most unbreakable individual football record in Arkansas history

Started by JackJohnson, July 27, 2015, 03:00:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JackJohnson

A couple stand out

1- Tyler Wilson's 510 yards passing against A&M in 2011 (next closest was Wilson 419 yards against Rutgers in 2012)
2- Cobi Hamilton's 303 yards receiving against Rutgers in 2012 (next closest was Wright 281 vs A&M in 2011)

Going deeper
3- Cobi followed that Rutgers game with 162 yards against A&M.  That is 465 yards receiving over a 2 game stretch, or 232.5 yards per game.  (next closest was Derek Holloway 367 in 1981)

Others

4-Felix Jones' 8.74 ypc for the season in 2007 on 133 attempts (next closest was Eckwood's 7.62 on 104 carries in 1975)

5-Felix's 7.66 ypc for his career on 386 carries (next closest was Matt Jones 6.64 on 382 carries)

RazorBassin

JaxFlaRazorback

Steve Little's field goal against Texas, 67 yards on October 15, 1977.

JackJohnson

MJ2

I think Broderick Green had a 99 yard run that can only be tied, not broken.

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

HappyHogFan

Wear Schoonover had 5 INTs versus TX in 1929 That wont be tied or topped ever.

That's the top of the list .

BorderPatrol

Quote from: MJ2 on July 27, 2015, 03:35:20 pm

About like the 100 yard interception returns.....or the 100 yard kickoff returns.

bp

Steef

Quote from: MJ2 on July 27, 2015, 03:35:20 pm

Didn't we have a 100 yard interception return for a touchdown last year?

SouthSide Johnny

Some Say it's Raining Elephants but They Go Outside Anyway..

HappyHogFan

Quote from: BorderPatrol on July 27, 2015, 03:51:56 pm
About like the 100 yard interception returns.....or the 100 yard kickoff returns.

bp

Both of those ARE possible though because the yardage begings counting wherever the defender took possession of the ball. That's why you can have a 105 yard INT return. The defender intercepted the ball 5 yards deep in the endzone and returned it for a touchdown. Conversely an offense can NOT being a play on the goal line, so neither a run or a pass could possibly be longer than 99 yards. I mean yeah it might be 99 yards 2 feet and 11 inches, but I'm not entirely sure where the ball was spotted when Greene ran one 99 yards, so that would even be debatable whether it was longer than Greene's or not.

SouthSide Johnny

July 27, 2015, 04:12:34 pm #12 Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 04:26:30 pm by SouthSide Johnny
Quote from: HappyHogFan on July 27, 2015, 03:58:33 pm
Both of those ARE possible though because the yardage begings counting wherever the defender took possession of the ball. That's why you can have a 105 yard INT return. The defender intercepted the ball 5 yards deep in the endzone and returned it for a touchdown. Conversely an offense can NOT being a play on the goal line, so neither a run or a pass could possibly be longer than 99 yards. I mean yeah it might be 99 yards 2 feet and 11 inches, but I'm not entirely sure where the ball was spotted when Greene ran one 99 yards, so that would even be debatable whether it was longer than Greene's or not.

For the Record

In the NCAA records, Steve Rosga's 105-yard interception return is listed at 100 yards (the NCAA does not now allow for end zone yardage).
In order to make room for Rosga in the CU record book, the category "Longest Interception Return" had to be amended. In 1938, when total return yardage was still counted, Dick Kearns returned an interception against the University of Denver 102 yards. Both returns would now be recognized as being a mere 100 yards. (Johnny Ziegler was also to be found in that category. Ziegler returned an interception for exactly 100 yards against Colorado Mines in 1942).
Some Say it's Raining Elephants but They Go Outside Anyway..

thirrdegreetusker

thirrdegreetusker

Highest punting average, single game

Steve Cox                  70 ypp v Texas , 1980

BorderPatrol

I don't believe this is correct. I think they are still listed as 100 yards.

bp

Cinco de Hogo

Some people just heard a Woosh!

Some fine examples given, now take the best and do a poll do we can declare a winner.

3kgthog

DMac's career rushing total. Until BB leaves, RBs will be sharing a lot of carries. The game has changed, too. I doubt we'll ever see another coach here as run heavy as Nutt was. Finding another athlete in our lifetime with DMac's talent isn't likely, either.

For perspective, JWill is 10th on our current list and needs 2,269 yards to pass DMac. JWill will have a great season if he gets even half that total.

HogWall Jackson

threeNout

Kendall Trainor's consecutive FG streak may last a very long while.

I remember the record breaker was a 50+ yarder that bounced off the upright  and through against Miami in'88.

hogfooey

Quote from: threeNout on July 27, 2015, 11:41:56 pm
Kendall Trainor's consecutive FG streak may last a very long while.

I remember the record breaker was a 50+ yarder that bounced off the upright  and through against Miami in'88.

Think it was 58 yards to be exact.
If the Hogs are wrong!  I don't want to be right!

SooiecidetillNuttgone

How about the QB Rating of some OL's career?  Considering they almost always throw TDs, that would have to be astronomical.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

bigbadhog

Any passing records will now stand for the foreseeable future...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: bigbadhog on July 28, 2015, 09:56:07 am
Any passing records will now stand for the foreseeable future...

Too easy!

We may break the completion percentage record.

Großer Kriegschwein

Interception Return Yards in a Game-129-Chris Houston vs. Mississippi State

Kickoff Returns in Career-119-Dennis Johnson (Also SEC Record)

I'd say those one is pretty unbreakable.
This is my non-signature signature.

bjnordin

McFadden running for 323 in a single game against South Carolina in 2007 is going to be a hard one to break.  There's a reasonable chance that won't be broken in our lifetime.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: bjnordin on July 28, 2015, 12:07:43 pm
McFadden running for 323 in a single game against South Carolina in 2007 is going to be a hard one to break.  There's a reasonable chance that won't be broken in our lifetime.

It wasn't against South Carolina, but if we had wanted to, either running back could have broken, against Nichols last year in the 1st Half.

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: pigture perfect on July 28, 2015, 12:12:25 pm
Dmacs consecutive years of being ripped off by FAR inferior players runner-up streak for the Heisman.

Fixed it for ya.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Großer Kriegschwein

Dmacs consecutive runner-up streak for the Heisman.

That and 5881 career all purpose yards. Second only to Kevin Faulk.

HappyHogFan

Dmacs consecutive runner-up streak for the Heisman.

One? Yeah we might not have another runner up.

Oh wait, do you still claim that Tebow shouldn't have won the year he became the first college QB to both run and pass for 20+ TDs in a season?

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: HappyHogFan on July 28, 2015, 12:17:25 pm

Oh wait, do you still claim that Tebow shouldn't have won the year he became the first college QB to both run and pass for 20+ TDs in a season?

It was irritating due to the change in standards for the Heisman.

McFadden's first year, no sophomore had ever won it, and they gave it to Troy Smith. Invited Darren to NY more to recognize his accomplishments, Even though he did come close to getting enough votes.

The following year, they didn't care about the upperclassman crap. Tebow had a better year, but the following year it hadn't mattered.

I can see why everyone was upset.

PonderinHog

Quote from: HappyHogFan on July 28, 2015, 12:17:25 pm

How many of Tebow's touchdown runs were the fullback up the gut type, 3 yards or less?

pigture perfect

I think he could have won it either year. Certainly had he come back a third time.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

HappyHogFan

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 28, 2015, 12:23:56 pm
How many of Tebow's touchdown runs were the fullback up the gut type, 3 yards or less?

So what?

Could DMac have won it that year? You bet. Did he get screwed? Hell no, Tebow had an incredible year.

It's just being a crybaby sore loser to say otherwise.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: HappyHogFan on July 28, 2015, 12:32:52 pm
So what?

Could DMac have won it that year? You bet. Did he get screwed? Hell no, Tebow had an incredible year.

It's just being a crybaby sore loser to say otherwise.

Pure bull.

Tebow had amazing STATS.  DMAC was by far the most dominant player in the nation that year.

Tebow was far less deserving of the Heisman that year, but was simply higher profile, and sportswriters are not all that bright.

But, based on your post, that issue is not limited to sportswriters.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: JackJohnson on July 27, 2015, 03:00:58 pm

5-Felix's 7.66 ypc for his career on 386 carries (next closest was Matt Jones 6.64 on 382 carries)

The irony for both of these is that neither shows up in the SEC record book because of the conference's arbitrary decision to only include those with 400 or more carries in this category.  I say arbitrary, because while it IS important to not include, say, someone who had 23 carries and averaged 12.6 yards per carry (so few carries that one or two plays could significantly skew the average), there is virtually no significant statistical difference in someone's average at 350 carries vs. 435 (for example).  By that point, there is ample data that either a very big day - or, a bad day - won't make a big difference in the average.

http://assets.espn.go.com/SEC/football/2015/Record%20Book.pdf

(Scroll to page 30)

That aside, it's interesting that we have produced both the RB (Felix) and QB (Matt) with the highest YPC in the history of the SEC.  Matt would rank 5th overall (n the SEC) if the standard was 350 carries, but if sacks were not included (they are for QB, not for RB - who never are sacked because they don't pass the ball very much, if ever), Matt would be number one at over 8 yards per carry, and Felix #2.

HappyHogFan

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 28, 2015, 12:43:17 pm
Pure bull.

Tebow had amazing STATS.  DMAC was by far the most dominant player in the nation that year.

Tebow was far less deserving of the Heisman that year, but was simply higher profile, and sportswriters are not all that bright.

But, based on your post, that issue is not limited to sportswriters.

Your forgot to call me a caca head.

Your opinion doesn't match that of those who actually hand out the Heisman, deal with it.

bennyl08

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on July 28, 2015, 12:11:09 pm
It wasn't against South Carolina, but if we had wanted to, either running back could have broken, against Nichols last year in the 1st Half.

That game was against SC because I was there at the game. Oh, maybe you are saying while Nichols isn't as good as SC, we could have broken it. Could and would are two different things. We could have passed for 1000 yards in a single game during the petrino era against some of those teams, but we wouldn't because that would risk injury an the such.

Also, to the guy posting about interception return yards in a game, that one is totally beatable. Have a guy with 3 int's, one for 80 yards and two for 25. Now, 5 int's in a single game will be very hard to top.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: HappyHogFan on July 28, 2015, 02:17:06 pm
Your forgot to call me a caca head.

Your opinion doesn't match that of those who actually hand out the Heisman, deal with it.

Hahahaha!!  I've seen the Heisman committee hand out their trophy to the wrong guy many, MANY more times than they've ever gotten it right!!

So, yes, I'd much rather be on the side opposite where they decide to go.

Hahahahaha!!  Don't think I've ever seen anyone stand on their side before.

The guys who chose Notre Dame's Huarte, Penn State's Capaletti, Archie Griffin TWICE, Vinny Testaverde, Andre Ware, Ty Detmer, freaking Geno Toretta, Charlie Ward, Danny Wuerful, Jason White, and Troy Smith -- and you want to stand on the side with those clowns???

That's simply hilarious!!

Großer Kriegschwein

Benny, I am on medication, I know he did it against SC. Fingers aren't typing what I'm thinking very well. I won't charge you for the entertainment.

Actually after reading it, I could have made it more clear, but there was a comma that was supposed to be used, with a "but" just on the other side.

Hell I can't remember caca, but I also watched DMAC run them yards against SC.

Other parts, its my opinion. If you throw 2 to the same guy, well, he probably isn't gettin thrown at again. Unless your dumb. Bo Wallace could have helped us beat that one. But it hasn't happened either.

bennyl08

Heisman winner seems to have been correct post-McFadden though. IMO, he really changed how the trophy is won. If there wasn't the controversy surrounding him being a sophomore or being on a team that wasn't in the hunt for the natty, given the previous decade of heisman voting trends, I don't think guys like Tebow, Manziel, or RG3 would have won the trophies. Now, I think DMac deserved the trophy more than Tebow, but I don't think that Tebow wasn't qualified for it. The craziest year had to be with RG3, Luck, and Montee Ball. All three of those players deserved to win the trophy that year, whereas the year Ingram won it, the field was very weak.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 28, 2015, 02:39:07 pm
Heisman winner seems to have been correct post-McFadden though. IMO, he really changed how the trophy is won. If there wasn't the controversy surrounding him being a sophomore or being on a team that wasn't in the hunt for the natty, given the previous decade of heisman voting trends, I don't think guys like Tebow, Manziel, or RG3 would have won the trophies. Now, I think DMac deserved the trophy more than Tebow, but I don't think that Tebow wasn't qualified for it. The craziest year had to be with RG3, Luck, and Montee Ball. All three of those players deserved to win the trophy that year, whereas the year Ingram won it, the field was very weak.

The Heisman committee does a very good job in years when the obvious best player is on a very, very good team.  In those years everyone knows who the winner will be before that night.

jesterzzn

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: jesterzzn on July 28, 2015, 02:42:20 pm
Caca head.

Please don't ever stop posting!  I can't count the number of times you've made me laugh so loud at work that it causes people to get up to see what's going on!!

EastexHawg

Bill Burnett scoring 49 TDs in three years.  No other Hog has come within 5 TDs, and Burnett did it in only 28 career games.  Darren McFadden scored 44 TDs in 38 games.  No one else is with ten TDs of the record.

Ethan2010

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 28, 2015, 02:39:07 pm
I honestly thought Toby gerhart should have won it that year.  He was dominant that year.

bennyl08

Quote from: Ethan2010 on July 28, 2015, 04:48:31 pm
I honestly thought Toby gerhart should have won it that year.  He was dominant that year.

Gerheart was good, but his numbers weren't that much better than Ingram's and the PAC hadn't closed the gap on the SEC like they have today. The main point I was making is that I believe Trent Richardson's resume from 2011 would have won the 2009 heisman in a landslide and he wasn't even top 3 in 2011.