Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bill Polian on Russillo Show Talks Brandon Burlsworth

Started by trashcan maN, July 27, 2015, 12:48:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

trashcan maN

Polian is a former GM who drafted Brandon and is being inducted into the NFL HoF this year.

He was telling stories of high draft picks not panning out and gave a story about Brandon Burlsworth.

He said they drafted him in the fourth round and the coach saw him practice 2x at mini camp and told Polian, "He's the starting LG this year and that's the end of it." He went on to tell about how Brandon was tragically killed on the way home from that very mini camp.

I don't remember much about Brandon at Arkansas but he must've been one hell of a player to lock down a starting job during mini camp, before his first rookie preseason.

RIP Big Guy.  WPS!!!

1 hog n eldo

From what I've read about Brandon he was the type of guy you would want your daughter to marry. Anybody know when the movie will come out? Supposedly this fall. I haven't seen any advertising though.

thirrdegreetusker

Far as I know, the only UA athlete EVER to finish his Master's degree before finishing his eligibility.

scruf

Great player and looked like Drew Carey under his helmet the same way that Matt Flynn looks like Matt Damon under his.

dsgreen

Quote from: trashcan maN on July 27, 2015, 12:48:32 pm
Polian is a former GM who drafted Brandon and is being inducted into the NFL HoF this year.

He was telling stories of high draft picks not panning out and gave a story about Brandon Burlsworth.

He said they drafted him in the fourth round and the coach saw him practice 2x at mini camp and told Polian, "He's the starting LG this year and that's the end of it." He went on to tell about how Brandon was tragically killed on the way home from that very mini camp.

I don't remember much about Brandon at Arkansas but he must've been one hell of a player to lock down a starting job during mini camp, before his first rookie preseason.

RIP Big Guy.  WPS!!!

He made a big impression on the Colts in a very short time.  They even had/have (not sure if they still do) their own version of the Burl's Kids program.  http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Remembering-Brandon-Burlsworth-/01475edd-989c-4a56-b3b0-ec6c138bcf1e

supersaint

There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

flagstaffhog

Was a walk-on if I remember correctly. Underrated as a player. Definitely uncommon.....
Go HOGS Go!

BorderPatrol

This is by no means a knock on anyone posting in this thread...But...

Either I am getting old, or the posters around here are getting younger and younger....

bp

trashcan maN

Quote from: BorderPatrol on July 27, 2015, 03:47:35 pm
This is by no means a knock on anyone posting in this thread...But...

Either I am getting old, or the posters around here are getting younger and younger....

bp
Im 29, but I grew up a huge basketball fan and played basketball my whole life. Paragould had awful football programs, so I never played. I didnt start watching football until the Matt Jones era and didnt follow closely until DMac's Fr. season.

hawgdavis

Great guy off the field from all accounts and a roadgrader on it and did it all the right way. It broke my heart when I found out he had been killed. I felt like I lost a dear friend. That was the kind of guy he was. He would have done great things on and off the field. I always thought of Drew Carey with those black almost horned rimed glasses ha ha.

Pulled(PP)pork

Good player, but I'm sure Hooty is still taking credit for him somewhere

PP

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on July 27, 2015, 05:13:47 pm
Good player, but I'm sure Hooty is still taking credit for him somewhere

PP
Seems like a strange place to throw in some Hooty hate.  Burls was fun to watch and his story is quite remarkable. 

mhsbc59

he was a walk-on that used his red shirt year to transform his body.  was awarded a scholie after his freshman year. Started as a softmore.  and was All American as a seinor.  He ran the fastest Combine time for a line at the combine that year ran a 4.8
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 27, 2015, 02:27:28 pm
Hmm.  Wait a moment here - wasn't there a center several years ago - Jay (argh, I can't remember his last name) who did this?

Regardless, what a positive statement Burlsworth made about the value of education.  We need more like him and he is definitely missed.

Jay Bequette finished his undergrad degree, and was already in law school when he finished his eligibility, I think.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: flagstaffhog on July 27, 2015, 03:16:55 pm
Was a walk-on if I remember correctly. Underrated as a player. Definitely uncommon.....

All-State at Harrison, AR. Burls was an "invited" walk-on.

LSUFan

He was a better man than he was a player, and that's saying alot.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: JaketheSnake on July 27, 2015, 05:18:01 pm
Seems like a strange place to throw in some Hooty hate.  Burls was fun to watch and his story is quite remarkable.
too soon?

PP

MountainHomeHogger

I grew up in Indianapolis so I'm a huge Colts fan and people still talk about Brandon Burlsworth how he would have been one of the best lineman ever.  He had that very short weekend but made a tremendous impact on the fan base.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Medic821

hoglady

When Brandon was killed I remember being super impressed with the Colts organization - first class.
They seemed to treat his family so well you would have thought he had played there for years.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

HOGGISHABOUTAR

Burlsworth was special! Unique! Humble! Talented! Etc. Loved the kid.

1 hog n eldo

Quote from: HOGGISHABOUTAR on July 28, 2015, 05:00:58 pm
Burlsworth was special! Unique! Humble! Talented! Etc. Loved the kid.
Houston? Is that you??

murfvol

I was assigned to write the Burlsworth feature for a game program his senior year. I was a student assistant in Sports Information. The problem was, I couldn't get interview time with him. He wasn't rude, he just didn't want to talk. I left messages with him, Russ Brown, and Grant Garrett, trying to find out when he might be available. Crickets.

Deadline approached, so I wrote the story with no quotes. After reading it, Kevin Trainor kindly noted it might be better with some. I didn't want to tell him what happened, so I asked for a 24 hour extension. Miraculously, Brandon picked up on a call, and I got a brief interview.

The feature wasn't great, but the memory is. He just didn't care about publicity. That game program is one of my most prized possessions.

-And yeah, long story on my user name.

SemperHawg

Worth noting that the O-Line coach who watched him for two mini camp practices and decided he was the starter was non other than Howard Mudd.  If you are looking for an O-line coach with better credentials there is none.  A testament to Burlsworth's skill and ability.

TomasPistola

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 27, 2015, 02:27:28 pm
Hmm.  Wait a moment here - wasn't there a center several years ago - Jay (argh, I can't remember his last name) who did this?

Regardless, what a positive statement Burlsworth made about the value of education.  We need more like him and he is definitely missed.

I was thinking Josh Melton had his masters before he left as well.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Rocket23

Jay's brother Chris also finished before his eligibility, and either was working on his masters degree or finished it.

threeNout

Quote from: 1 hog n eldo on July 28, 2015, 04:42:32 pm
http://m.imdb.com/title/tt2950418/?ref_=ttrel_rel_tt
Can't wait for this to come out.

along with Brandon, they seemed to do a good job casting this,  the actors playing Lucas and Stoerner look the part.

surely someone will be playing Nutt, but I didn't see him.

SamBuckhart

Quote from: SemperHawg on July 28, 2015, 10:37:12 pm
Worth noting that the O-Line coach who watched him for two mini camp practices and decided he was the starter was non other than Howard Mudd.  If you are looking for an O-line coach with better credentials there is none.  A testament to Burlsworth's skill and ability.
Followed the Colts since Unitas days. Was excited to see Brandon drafted by them. Last game I saw him in was senior homecoming against ole miss. 34-0. He was a real inspiration to many.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

wholehog92

I played HS ball with him.  When he was a freshman, I mentored him as a senior lifting weights off season.  He took my number when I graduated.  It's hard to think about him being my age.  I still remember that baby-face smile that hid his determination.  It was like watching two very distinct people for me at that age.  On one side you had this very polite almost meek kid.  On the other was a savagely determined worker that had no quit in his nature.

He's #57 in this pic.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

RickJames

Shows the entire cast under full cast link. Brandon Paul Eells is playing Paul Eells. I'm assuming he is Paul's son.