Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It's all about matchups

Started by Piglet, February 04, 2018, 06:42:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Piglet

I watch a lot of SEC basketball games and I am always amazed at how a so-called "weaker" team can beat a good team in this league.  Home court is always an advantage, but the player matchups are another huge factor.  One player, that an opposing team has no answer for, can make a big difference in a game.

This year's Razorback team has some serious matchup problems on defense.  They struggle against teams with good ballhandlers that can easily defeat their traps.  They don't have a player who can lock down and stop a quick penetrating guard.  They don't have enough versatile players who can defend well in a switching man defense.

They also have similar problems on offense.  If the other team has 2 exceptional defenders that can take Barford and Macon out of their game, it's all over.

This team is not as well-rounded as I thought at the first of the year.  Their weaknesses have been exposed as they have gotten into conference play.  I am hoping the coaching staff can make the necessary adjustments and a couple of other players can elevate their game to overcome some of the problems.  If not this season is probably headed downhill. 
Treasure your ignorance.  Once it is lost you can never get it back.