Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

McPherson: 2019 big man Mahamadou Diawara is no stranger to Arkansas, Gafford

Started by Jason Carroll, December 17, 2018, 04:06:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogwood

Let's not take this too much farther. I think it's fine to discuss possible transfer scenarios but let's not be so blatant about kids getting the boot.

The most unlikely IMO is Bailey. Unless he's the one who wants to leave, which I don't see. Bailey will be the only senior next year, and this staff as well as any coaching staff loves and respects their seniors. Bailey is a great kid, with excellent character. You want a quality senior like that in your locker room with a young team.

I would hope Henderson and Phillips stay. Henderson has a lot of developing to do no matter where he goes, so I think he stays here where he's at home, if the coaches think he can develop that is. Phillips shouldn't have much to gripe about. It's not the coaches fault that he was injured. He obviously is behind on conditioning or else he'd be on the floor.

Ali was the best candidate from the beginning. Late addition, and everyone knew he was a project. Gabe has not progressed much IMO. I'm looking ahead at potential depth charts, and it's hard to see him getting much PT unless he really turns it on.

Heck I hope they all turn it on and challenge for starting positions, but we all know that won't happen for every player in this conversation. The staff seems to be intent on bringing in 2 more forwards to this class, which means 1 current forward will have to transfer.

razorback1829

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on December 21, 2018, 06:53:46 pm
I'm afraid Phillips is going to be another Nick Babb situation

No offseason program or preseason program, conditioning.... he got none of it. He's getting it all in practice. He's just not ready yet. He's not going anywhere I can tell you that. Gonna be a good one. He's definitely getting his bounce back.. just has to develop some chemistry thru practice and adjusting to speed of the game still.

Worst thing you do is rush him back or not put him in the right situation to succeed on the court and hurt his confidence. We sure could've used a full strength Jordan Phillips in our losses.

MakingPlays

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 22, 2018, 07:45:17 am
Phillips didn't get to do any of the training or conditioning the other players did due to his injury. I dont blame Mike for not playing him more in these tight games.

Never thought I'd see the day where you were defending CMA and I was the person being critical of him.  Regarding Phillips I think you have to let the kid play.  I just don't believe that Gabe and Bailey can bring more to the table than he can, regardless of him missing time.  That's my one criticism of CMA his rotations and always favoring playing the upperclassmen even if they aren't as talented.  Bailey has scored 2 points and 0 assist in his last 50 minutes of playing time, that's like playing 4 on 5 on offense. I just don't understand how you can justify continuing to put a kid out there that isn't giving you anything just because he's a junior.  If he was a freshman after his first 2-3 minutes of playing that bad he wouldn't have seen the court anymore.

So far since Phillips has got back he's only played against bad competition and was only put in when we already had the game well in control, playing only a couple minutes here and there.  He's never going to get the feel of things doing that, he's got to get some meaningful minutes against some good competition.  You look in the NBA, guys miss months and entire training camps, and if they have potential and talent coaches put them in the rotation and let them get the feel of things.  They don't just give them mop up minutes and hope that's enough to get them back in the swing of things.

We seen what happened with Nick Babb, most hog fans agree he wasn't handled correctly here, he would come in the game do some good things then he wouldn't see the court for the next 4 or 5 games, but Manny Watkins couldn't hit anything other than a wide open layup and he'd get all those back up guard minutes that should have been going to Babb.  Babb was just a better talent than Watkins and still is.  And looking at last year, Darius Hall would play his butt off and do some really good things, yet Anton Beard got the majority of 3rd guard minutes, when everyone could see that Hall was the better talent.  And even looking at Daniel Gafford last year, it took 10 games for CMA to finally start him over Trey Thompson.  And it looks like it took him 10 games to realize that Chaney is better than Bailey.  I'm a firm believer in you gotta play your more talented players.  Being a "glue guy" or a "blue collar" player can only get you so far, there's a bunch of Manny Watkins and Kikko Haydars out here, they are good locker room guys but they aren't winning you any championships.

mhuff

Quote from: MakingPlays on December 22, 2018, 11:57:35 am
Never thought I'd see the day where you were defending CMA and I was the person being critical of him.  Regarding Phillips I think you have to let the kid play.  I just don't believe that Gabe and Bailey can bring more to the table than he can, regardless of him missing time.  That's my one criticism of CMA his rotations and always favoring playing the upperclassmen even if they aren't as talented.  Bailey has scored 2 points and 0 assist in his last 50 minutes of playing time, that's like playing 4 on 5 on offense. I just don't understand how you can justify continuing to put a kid out there that isn't giving you anything just because he's a junior.  If he was a freshman after his first 2-3 minutes of playing that bad he wouldn't have seen the court anymore.

So far since Phillips has got back he's only played against bad competition and was only put in when we already had the game well in control, playing only a couple minutes here and there.  He's never going to get the feel of things doing that, he's got to get some meaningful minutes against some good competition.  You look in the NBA, guys miss months and entire training camps, and if they have potential and talent coaches put them in the rotation and let them get the feel of things.  They don't just give them mop up minutes and hope that's enough to get them back in the swing of things.

We seen what happened with Nick Babb, most hog fans agree he wasn't handled correctly here, he would come in the game do some good things then he wouldn't see the court for the next 4 or 5 games, but Manny Watkins couldn't hit anything other than a wide open layup and he'd get all those back up guard minutes that should have been going to Babb.  Babb was just a better talent than Watkins and still is.  And looking at last year, Darius Hall would play his butt off and do some really good things, yet Anton Beard got the majority of 3rd guard minutes, when everyone could see that Hall was the better talent.  And even looking at Daniel Gafford last year, it took 10 games for CMA to finally start him over Trey Thompson.  And it looks like it took him 10 games to realize that Chaney is better than Bailey.  I'm a firm believer in you gotta play your more talented players.  Being a "glue guy" or a "blue collar" player can only get you so far, there's a bunch of Manny Watkins and Kikko Haydars out here, they are good locker room guys but they aren't winning you any championships.

Kevin McPherson

* '19 Arkansas interest & ESPN 4* Mahamadou Diawara @13Diawara (6-10 F/C with 7-3 wingspan, Massanutten Military Academy in Virgina) said he expects Arkansas assoc HC Melvin Watkins will see him play during MC tourney weekend of Feb 9-10 ... offers incl GaTech, Penn St, Temple, VCU

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/1091416131926142977

Kevin McPherson

* '19 Arkansas interest & ESPN 4* Mahamadou Diawara @13Diawara (6-10 F/C w/7-3 wingspan, Massanutten Military Academy in Virginia) confirmed that Hogs assoc HC Melvin Watkins watched him score 16 pts on Sunday in W vs West Nottingham ... offers incl GaTech, Penn State, Temple, VCU.

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/1094985588426575875

HogFaninMemphis

Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

Kevin McPherson

hogwood

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on February 13, 2019, 12:38:31 pm
No.

Appreciate your question, but not getting into the specifics on that at this time.

Hopefully a good reason, otherwise it's foolish.

navyhog24