Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Eureka Springs

Started by HognotinMemphis, May 07, 2018, 11:11:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

Going for just a night and parts of 2 days later this month. Drove through there for a few hours and had lunch this past December and that is my total experience in ES. Staying at New Orleans hotel and thinking about having dinner in the restaurant in the basement of the New Orleans, restaurant name is Le Stick Nouveau. Anyone stayed at this hotel and/or dined at this restaurant?

Anything in particular we should see or do in or near ES during our brief upcoming visit? In our pass through there in December, we drove up to the Crescent Hotel and walked around, so we have seen that tired old lady. Thanks.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

DLUXHOG

Local Flavor is best restaurant in town.   Bubba's big pig BBQ is unmatched.... cheap.... etc...
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: DLUXHOG on May 07, 2018, 12:36:56 pm
Local Flavor is best restaurant in town.   Bubba's big pig BBQ is unmatched.... cheap.... etc...
On our drive through in ES this past December, we ate lunch there. Very good experience. I can see why it is best in town.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

DeltaBoy

Give us a report cause I not been to Eureka Springs in 30 years.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 08, 2018, 03:23:59 pm

30 years?  You'll be amazed when you go back.....  do eat at Bubba's BBQ and Local Flavor though.....  two different environs and two different classes of customer, but both have really awesome food....

HawgWild

The other restaurant by the owners of Local Flavor, Aquarius Taqueria, is pretty good as well.

majestic

Watch out for the aggressive gays, they will attack straight people. Just ask Guv.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

PharmacistHog

Quote from: majestic on May 08, 2018, 05:22:35 pm
Watch out for the aggressive gays, they will attack straight people. Just ask Guv.

Definitely don't walk down the street holding hands with your wife. 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 08, 2018, 03:23:59 pm
Will do. Staying the 1 night at New Orleans Hotel on Spring St. Eating at Local Flavor for dinner, Aquarius Taqueria for lunch, Mud Street Cafe for breakfast, and undetermined for lunch spot the day we leave.

GolfNut57

Ate at some barbq joint on the west side of town out towards Thorncrown Chapel a few years ago but can't remember the name of it. Place was kind of small but the food was darn good though.

I'm assuming you aren't going to go to see the Passion Play? It is worth the trip alone in my opinion.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

hog.goblin

Do yourself a favor and have a nice dinner at Rogue Manor.  Thank me later.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: GolfNut57 on May 09, 2018, 05:20:06 pm
Ate at some barbq joint on the west side of town out towards Thorncrown Chapel a few years ago but can't remember the name of it. Place was kind of small but the food was darn good though.

I'm assuming you aren't going to go to see the Passion Play? It is worth the trip alone in my opinion.

None of the plates or silverware matched.....  great BBQ....  that would be Bubbas "big pig" BBQ.... one of my regular stops every time I pass through...

rtr

Quote from: hog.goblin on May 09, 2018, 09:09:38 pm
Do yourself a favor and have a nice dinner at Rogue Manor.  Thank me later.
This and try the pan fried oysters.  Rogues has the best selection of whiskey, especially single malt this side of NYC.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

HognotinMemphis

Back from Branson and ES yesterday.

Level 2 is better than any steakhouse in LR based on quality of filet, quality of preparing the steak, and quality of the wait staff.

New Orleans Hotel in ES was pretty cool and best location in the entire town for hotels. Old and needs upgrading and maintenance but was very clean and comfortable. Only 22 rooms. Built in 1892 after the great fire of 1888 so no central A/C and no elevator. Loved it.

Dined at Local Flavor for dinner and Mud St Cafe for breakfast. Both experiences were excellent. We were practically the only people in town in ES on Wednesday. Crowd seemed to be picking up when we left there yesterday at noon.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on May 27, 2018, 06:15:17 pm
Unless you are gay or a biker there's not much for you there.
There are much of both there but the only thing that bothered me were the self-absorbed, fat, bearded losers riding loud bikes with their music blaring way louder than it should be. Very rude. If I was an ES cop and heard them playing music that loud, I would ticket the hell out of them for it. It's a small town with tight streets and the music reverbs like crazy.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: HoginMemphis on May 25, 2018, 11:36:58 am
Back from Branson and ES yesterday.

Level 2 is better than any steakhouse in LR based on quality of filet, quality of preparing the steak, and quality of the wait staff.

New Orleans Hotel in ES was pretty cool and best location in the entire town for hotels. Old and needs upgrading and maintenance but was very clean and comfortable. Only 22 rooms. Built in 1892 after the great fire of 1888 so no central A/C and no elevator. Loved it.

Dined at Local Flavor for dinner and Mud St Cafe for breakfast. Both experiences were excellent. We were practically the only people in town in ES on Wednesday. Crowd seemed to be picking up when we left there yesterday at noon.

THIS is when I love Eureka the most.  If y'all ever want to feel this sensation on steroids, visit late, late, late fall.....  after fall colors are gone....   stay in a cabin at Red Bud Valley Resort.....

oldman1015

What if you're a gay biker?
Arkansas, the left lane state.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: oldman1015 on May 30, 2018, 10:53:34 am

Then you search out Guv and his wife and kick his ass for not being gay and holding hands in public with his wife. 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: oldman1015 on May 30, 2018, 10:53:34 am

I recommend the Blue Oyster Bar.

Must know how to tango.
This is my non-signature signature.

HognotinMemphis

Hogwild

Are you serious?  This is almost as depressing as the ball game.
Was trying to get the wife to go back, I even recorded the tail end of a TV show about the animal rescue.

Backstory, family moved to NWA when I was young, good memories. Fell in love with sports/razorbacks, we then moved few times. (Dallas/Memphis/NO areas)
Married a girl(shame you have to state that) from Oklahoma, but whose family had recently moved to Shreveport. Didn't have much money, but a lot of love and were getting married in Shreveport, where she hated even more than I did. 

So I convinced her to honeymoon in Eureka Springs, February of '96.  Two of the best decisions I've made in my life. (Still happily married 22 years later)
Like Janis Joplin sang, I'd trade a 1,000 tomorrows for one single yesterday.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on June 02, 2018, 12:52:48 pm
I recommend the Blue Oyster Bar.

Must know how to tango.

I bet that Blue Oyster has a cult following..................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HAWG MAFIA

Rockin Pig Saloon in the best restaurant in ES. It's advertised as a biker bar, but it's not really a biker bar.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: PharmacistHog on May 30, 2018, 12:27:24 pm
Then you search out Guv and his wife and kick his ass for not being gay and holding hands in public with his wife. 

I laughed much harder than I should have at this one.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

hillbilly

Bump. Any suggestions on places to stay or eat that aren't mentioned above would be appreciated! Going to be making a trip there in December. Thanks!

porque

Quote from: hillbilly on October 29, 2019, 10:23:28 am
Bump. Any suggestions on places to stay or eat that aren't mentioned above would be appreciated! Going to be making a trip there in December. Thanks!

There are some really cool places on AirBnB

HawgWild

Quote from: hillbilly on October 29, 2019, 10:23:28 am

We rent a house on Lake Lucerne. Close to town but with an out of town feel. http://historiccottages.com/the-cottages/

hillbilly

Quote from: HawgWild on October 29, 2019, 05:38:34 pm
We rent a house on Lake Lucerne. Close to town but with an out of town feel. http://historiccottages.com/the-cottages/
Good suggestion, think we are leaning this way now!

cardinalhawg

My favorite restaurant in Eureka Springs is Devito's.  Their ravioli and trout tastes awesome.  It is an evening time place and on weekends it can get more busy to where you wait outside.  They are closing the Eureka location at the end of the year with the owners retiring but the location north of Harrison will still be open.  I like the Local Flavor Cafe too.

Turpentine Creek outside of town and the Promised Land soon nearby in Missouri are fun.  Quigley's Castle is a unique house to see.  The narrated trolley tour at 1:00 and 3:00 is fun as you get a good taste of the history and sights as the tour goes through the historical district with stops at the Crescent Hotel and Grotto Spring for exploring.  The Passion Play is worth seeing as they change it up each year.  Doing the Holy Land Tour on the grounds is a neat and education experience as is the backstage tour of the Passion Play where you learn what goes into the production and get to see the sets and see the animals. 

Eureka Springs also does their Christmas Homes Tour on the Saturday before NW Arkansas (Fayetteville, Springdale, Rogers, and Bentonville) does theirs on Sunday.  This year the Eureka Springs Christmas Home tour is December 7.

justin2000m80

I like Eureka.  There are a lot of bikers and it is gay friendly. It is an odd town.  You have the passion play there and the Christ of the Ozarks, but you have a lot of ghost tours and people that are big into paranormal.  You have leather wearing bikers but a gay community.  The ghost tour at the Crescent Hotel is awesome and a good history lesson.  I like to go to The Blue Spring Heritage Center on the west side of town.  There are several Italian places that are good, Bubbas BBQ, and Rogues Manor.  The passion play is neat if you are into that thing.