Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sounds like it's Chavis?

Started by ricepig, December 11, 2017, 01:26:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on December 12, 2017, 08:28:12 am
Its the most hogville thing ever to snub your nose at Chavis. We have had a bottom dweller defense for the past recent memory in the SEC, and we are too good for one of the more decorated veterans in the game.
your memory must be short af. we had a top 10 defense two years ago...
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

HamGrowsOnTrees

Its just my opinion but I think CMM has already been "Gus'ed".

I sort of think it was Venables and when the rumor started Clemson charmed him into staying $...

Now I think our number two is a guy that is at home with his family in Tennessee and is weighing coaching again or retiring. Chives never has lived with his family while working at LSU and TAMU. He may be sick of it.

Im going to actually feel sorry for CMM if it ends up to the third man up and its someone that really isnt even close to the "best in CFB".

Hog Red

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 12, 2017, 09:46:46 am

Top 10 Defense in the SEC?

Arkansas Defense rank yds/g (out of 128)
2015 #72
2016 #74

Wildhog

Quote from: Hog Red on December 12, 2017, 09:57:10 am
Top 10 Defense in the SEC?

Arkansas Defense rank yds/g (out of 128)
2015 #72
2016 #74

He meant three years ago.

We had a top ten D (in the nation) in 2014.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

hogsanity

I look at ppg given up over yards. Can give up a ton of yards but if you bow up and keep a team out of the endzone it can be batter D than one that is pretty stingy all game, but gives up 3 or 4 big plays for scores.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hog Red

Quote from: Wildhog on December 12, 2017, 09:58:50 am

Still don't see a top 10 Defense, but they were good

Arkansas 2014 defense rank out of 128
Total yds/g #24 (345)
Run yds/g  #22 (124)
Pass yds/g #57 (221)
Points per game #15 (20.3)

PorkRinds

Quote from: HenduHog on December 12, 2017, 09:33:49 am
Nor am I.  If it were why wouldn't he have signed by now? He has no obligations to TAMU.

COuld be contract stuff. Not saying it's him.

King Kong

Quote from: Hog Red on December 12, 2017, 10:12:07 am
Still don't see a top 10 Defense, but they were good

Arkansas 2014 defense rank out of 128
Total yds/g #24 (345)
Run yds/g  #22 (124)
Pass yds/g #57 (221)
Points per game #15 (20.3)

Not sure where you are getting your numbers. But your yards per game is incorrect. #10 right behind Chavis at LSU

http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/leader/national/team/defense/split01/category10/sort01.html

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 11, 2017, 11:42:31 pm
this is the clemson style spread. it's 4 main plays from a ton of formations with misdirection. Not so much like chip kelly's other than the tempo.

Incredible how you can be so analytical when you promised to "eat crow and then take a dip" from the board just a few days ago.   ;)

We'll see how it plays out, but generally speaking, the "go fast" teams still rely on mismatches and quick hitting plays that develop quickly, which rely on missed tackles and fatigue from the defense.  They always seem to stumble along the way...Baylor and TCU are other examples of teams that looked like world beaters MOST of the time, but then inexplicably...would lose out of nowhere. 

BUT...we are critical of those losses, because people always want to point at the new offenses as being gimmicky.  The reality is...without them, those teams likely don't blip the radar.  So...it goes both ways, and it's hard to argue that the kids that Arkansas produces and the surrounding states' style of play lines up much better with this style than with CBB. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Hog Red

Quote from: hogsanity on December 12, 2017, 10:06:11 am
I look at ppg given up over yards. Can give up a ton of yards but if you bow up and keep a team out of the endzone it can be batter D than one that is pretty stingy all game, but gives up 3 or 4 big plays for scores.
Arkansas points per game defense (rank and points)
2014 - #15  (20.3)
2015 - #75  (27.3)
2016-  #84  (30)
2017-  #116 (36.2)

Here was Texas A&M ppg defense ranking under Chavis
2015- #29 (21.6)
2016- #37 (24)
2017- #82 (28.7)

Wildhog

Not sure where you got your numbers but we gave up 19.2 ppg in 2014, good for 9th in the country.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/leader/national/team/defense/split01/category09/sort01.html
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Yeah, I'm guessing the ESPN link doesn't include the bowl game.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Smashmouth2004

My son who is a coach in the Dallas area spoke to a H.S. coaching friend who has sources within SMU and was told that Venables will be our DC. His wife wants to move back to this area and the fact that the Morris/Venable family are close. I had earlier heard from an SMU supporter that Morris had lobbied for the A&M job promising Venables was coming with him. I think the longer it goes without an announcement, then the odds increase that Venables might be our DC.

Wildhog

Of course, that awesome 2014 defense was built around NFL talent.  It's all about the jimmies and joes.
1909/1964/1965/1977

justmakeit2thebcs

HeathWimp

Quote from: Smashmouth2004 on December 12, 2017, 10:29:09 am
My son who is a coach in the Dallas area spoke to a H.S. coaching friend who has sources within SMU and was told that Venables will be our DC. His wife wants to move back to this area and the fact that the Morris/Venable family are close. I had earlier heard from an SMU supporter that Morris had lobbied for the A&M job promising Venables was coming with him. I think the longer it goes without an announcement, then the odds increase that Venables might be our DC.

Inside source.  Sounds legit
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

Smashmouth2004

Danimal

Gus's wife wanted to move back to the area also -- It helped the Malzahn's get a nice raise at Auburn........   ;)

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Wildhog on December 12, 2017, 09:58:50 am

yeah, my bad, this year went by so fast and was so meaningless.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 12, 2017, 10:21:42 am
Incredible how you can be so analytical when you promised to "eat crow and then take a dip" from the board just a few days ago.   ;)

We'll see how it plays out, but generally speaking, the "go fast" teams still rely on mismatches and quick hitting plays that develop quickly, which rely on missed tackles and fatigue from the defense.  They always seem to stumble along the way...Baylor and TCU are other examples of teams that looked like world beaters MOST of the time, but then inexplicably...would lose out of nowhere. 

BUT...we are critical of those losses, because people always want to point at the new offenses as being gimmicky.  The reality is...without them, those teams likely don't blip the radar.  So...it goes both ways, and it's hard to argue that the kids that Arkansas produces and the surrounding states' style of play lines up much better with this style than with CBB.
y'all could have got rid of me. I offered the ban bet. nobody took it. and I ate my crow about which sexton client we'd end up w/, but i was right it wasnt gus and it was decided the day the thread started. it just turned into morris later on.

this spread offense still can get shut down, but not very likely with the 4 main plays working together setting each other up the way they do. It's almost like Tecmo bowl where they would have to pick your play over and over to stop you. And they have to pick it with tempo working against them. The dive, off tackle, wr screen, and jet sweep along with QB read /RPO/tempo/spacing  aspects make this offense basketball on grass.
@Slackaveli

HogCommander

I doubt it is Chavis.  If it was Chavis he would have been here last week.

RebelliousHog

Quote from: Danimal on December 12, 2017, 10:55:50 am
Gus's wife wanted to move back to the area also -- It helped the Malzahn's get a nice raise at Auburn........   ;)

Well judging by who each is married to, I'd come 1000% closer to believing  Mrs. CCM.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

hogsanity

Quote from: Wildhog on December 12, 2017, 10:30:07 am
Of course, that awesome 2014 defense was built around NFL talent.  It's all about the jimmies and joes.

Not according to some of the geniuses here. According to them it is all just the administration and the players " wanting to win ".
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: hogsanity on December 12, 2017, 11:09:45 am
Not according to some of the geniuses here. According to them it is all just the administration and the players " wanting to win ".
yep.
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on December 12, 2017, 10:36:16 am
This is from the NCAA... ESPN didn't include the bowl game against Texas
thanks.

see , guys? Top 10 just three years ago. It can be done.
@Slackaveli

IronHog

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 11, 2017, 09:42:06 pm
This was one of the reasons I mentioned Joe Lee Dunn earlier.  He kind of made the 3-3-5 famous.  He played a minnow bucket defense.  Players would hover around the line, some of them down, some of the standing up, moving, switching, no way for the offense to pre-read the defense.  That kind of mindset must be brought back to cause these offenses to slow down and think.  Again, just my opinion.

BP was recruiting tall DL to implement an similar concept

But wrecked
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 12, 2017, 11:09:45 am

Some 3* linemen and a JUCO linebacker

Point is to recruit men not *'s
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

ur

So does that mean we get a LB commit also or does she just like the area more than watching her son play college football?

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ur on December 12, 2017, 12:21:38 pm
So does that mean we get a LB commit also or does she just like the area more than watching her son play college football?
a 4* LB would certainly be in the works.
@Slackaveli

elksnort

This seems reasonable and possibly true. Thanks.

ricepig

Quote from: elksnort on December 12, 2017, 12:38:09 pm
This seems reasonable and possibly true. Thanks.

Yeah, because there were posts stating that Gus was 100% coming from Arkansas high school coaches........Hopefully it's true, but I don't think so.

elksnort

Quote from: ricepig on December 12, 2017, 12:40:13 pm
Yeah, because there were posts stating that Gus was 100% coming from Arkansas high school coaches........Hopefully it's true, but I don't think so.
Well, you know that I don't know. It makes you wonder why it is taking time to announce the new DC. I guess the obvious answer would be that said DC is still coaching. And I suppose that the longer it takes, then it would indicate the new DC is still coaching.
Great fresh logic, huh? lol

pigture perfect

With a fast pace quick scoring offense, I don't look for us to have great numbers on defense. We would have to build up our depth on the defensive side especially because they will be on the field longer. Whoever we get will have their work cut out for them. I look back at Willy Robertson. We sure didn't care for him too much or appreciate what it was to do what he did. I have to admit though, he did well for what he was given.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

hawgball40

:-X

not a big fan, but i guess its better than what we got. He runs an aggressive attacking 4-3 style which i've always liked. the question is can we get the horses, as always. Guess we'll see, huh?

ricepig

Quote from: elksnort on December 12, 2017, 12:43:57 pm
Well, you know that I don't know. It makes you wonder why it is taking time to announce the new DC. I guess the obvious answer would be that said DC is still coaching. And I suppose that the longer it takes, then it would indicate the new DC is still coaching.
Great fresh logic, huh? lol

Or.......he's having to go further down his list.

PorkSoda

Quote from: ricepig on December 12, 2017, 01:06:07 pm
Or.......he's having to go further down his list.
what is the list that consists of top DC's not coaching a bowl?

I'll wait...

people checking in every day or every hour to see if we have hired a DC yet are going to have along wait.  to the tune of about 3-4 more weeks.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PORKULATOR

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 12, 2017, 09:46:46 am
his memory is shorter than those old veterans he's complaining about.
Our D was for real 2 or 3 years ago.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

CaliforniaHawg

Quote from: pigture perfect on December 12, 2017, 12:46:42 pm
With a fast pace quick scoring offense, I don't look for us to have great numbers on defense. We would have to build up our depth on the defensive side especially because they will be on the field longer. Whoever we get will have their work cut out for them. I look back at Willy Robertson. We sure didn't care for him too much or appreciate what it was to do what he did. I have to admit though, he did well for what he was given.

I'm kind of looking at things the same way. We're going to give up yards and points, that's a given. What we need is a defense that can force some turnovers.

FraggleHog

Calling the Hogs from DFW

hogsanity

Quote from: PORKULATOR on December 12, 2017, 02:01:42 pm
his memory is shorter than those old veterans he's complaining about.
Our D was for real 2 or 3 years ago.

3 years ago, as in 2015, when the Hogs gave up 51 to MSU, 52 to OM, 46 to aub ( in 4 ots ) , and 35 to TT. Gave up an avg of 27ppg?

Their best D was in 2014 when they put up back to back shut outs of LSu and OM.

redeye

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on December 12, 2017, 08:02:23 am
I had the same thought, but CMM said he was the best DC in college football. Maybe I'm reading too much into semantics here but he is not in college football.

Not anymore, but he was the DC for LSU under Saban.

It seems odd that Trey would just tell us who it will be and no one else is saying anything.

If it is Chavis, we could do a whole lot worse.  He likes smaller, fast players and has a lot of SEC experience.  Grinch is my pick, but I hope our fans won't cry like babies if it's Chavis. 

Next1_04

Finebaum said on his show it will be Chavis.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Next1_04 on December 12, 2017, 02:41:36 pm
Finebaum said on his show it will be Chavis.

This plus the plane make it almost certain now that it will be Chavis.

bob slydell

Maybe I'm just thick; but why would an SMU source know anything about the UofA DC position?
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

HOGKING

Chris Low is currently on bo's show and said he doesn't think it's Chavis.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Bob Slydell on December 12, 2017, 03:11:26 pm
Maybe I'm just thick; but why would an SMU source know anything about the UofA DC position?
I think he was saying that before he got the arkansas job he was going after the TAMU job and that he told TAMU that he could get venables.

not sure if that is true, but that is what he is saying.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

King Kong

Quote from: HOGKING on December 12, 2017, 03:42:41 pm
Chris Low is currently on bo's show and said he doesn't think it's Chavis.

Chris Low is very plugged in with people that know Chavis.

That being said he did say never say never

TX HOG

The longer it drags out makes me think it might be our #1

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: TX HOG on December 12, 2017, 03:54:28 pm
The longer it drags out makes me think it might be our #1

I hope so. Venables is my top choice. If it's not him though I wonder if it could be Mike Stoops. With Bob Stoops retiring when he did, Lincoln Riley didn't really get to hire his own staff. I could see Venables making that connection since he's worked with both Stoops and Morris.