19   South Florida   
20   Kansas State   
21   Virginia Tech   
22   West Virginia
23   Texas   
24   Washington State   
25   Tennessee

PorkRinds

Texas in the top 25? 5-7 and no bowl game, but deserve a top 25 ranking?  :puke:

hogsanity

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 21, 2017, 11:37:00 am
Texas in the top 25? 5-7 and no bowl game, but deserve a top 25 ranking?  :puke:

wait, being in the top 25 and DESERVING to be in the top 25 are two very different things.

Should not be any polls released until after the 1st Sat in October.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HotlantaHog

Quote from: hogsanity on August 21, 2017, 12:41:49 pm
wait, being in the top 25 and DESERVING to be in the top 25 are two very different things.

Should not be any polls released until after the 1st Sat in October.
It's not about last year; it is about expectations for this year.. Last year's record is irrelevant ...

hogsanity

Quote from: HotlantaHog on August 21, 2017, 12:43:29 pm
It's not about last year; it is about expectations for this year.. Last year's record is irrelevant ...

So you say Texas DESERVES to be in the top 25?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GoHogzzGo

August 21, 2017, 12:49:00 pm #5 Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 01:05:53 pm by GoHogzzGo
No TCU? Or did the eclipse already make me blind?

Thought they were going to be in there so we can whoop a ranked team at DWRRS.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

hogsanity

Just watch how they prop up  USF all season. They play no one and are the only non p5 hope for a ny6 bowl appearance.

bville_hog

Anyone who voted for Tennessee should have their voting privileges revoked.

ricepig

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on August 21, 2017, 12:49:00 pm
No TCU? Or did the eclipse already make me blind?

Thought they were going to be in there so we can whoop a ranked team at DWRRS.

#26, so will probably move in after the first weekend with normal upsets.

Polecat

Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

ricepig

mizzouman

Hogs-n-Roses

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Seebs

Quote from: Polecat on August 21, 2017, 01:29:45 pm
Whisky?
I'm more of a sure thing guy. What did you have in mind?
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 21, 2017, 11:37:00 am

Voting the Coach, just like Louisville.

Tejano Jawg

Ahhh the first AP poll. Always worth a chuckle.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

gchamblee

jkstock04

I have no doubt Texas will now get back to top 25 status since they have a good coach now...but it is laughable how they get in every single year despite what happened the year before.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

GuvHog

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 21, 2017, 02:11:53 pm
Voting the Coach, just like Louisville.

I'm not surprised that they have Louisville up there. They return a lot of starters including their Heisman winning QB and are 1 of the favorites to win the ACC.

The polls are underestimating the Hogs though, I still feel like this is going to be a big year for them.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

verticalhog

What?  No Notre Dame?  Maybe we are in the end times!

GunnerHawg70

It's a popularity poll from the start.  There are teams who haven't done crapola but manage to find themselves ranked every year only to fall out in the middle or at the end of the season.  I try not to put any stock in the pre-season polls.  Someone mentioned polls shouldn't come out until after October and I agree 100%!!!

FineAsSwine

If Kansas State can make the top 25 (at No. 20 no less) then that leaves hope for us. If not this year, then next for sure.

K-State recruiting rankings since 2013 from https://kansasstate.rivals.com/commitments/football/2018

2013    No. 65
2014    No. 47
2015    No. 45
2016    No. 80
2017    No. 63
2018    No. 88
Hogs up! Covid down!

PorkSoda

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on August 21, 2017, 02:33:00 pm
It's a popularity poll from the start.  There are teams who haven't done crapola but manage to find themselves ranked every year only to fall out in the middle or at the end of the season.  I try not to put any stock in the pre-season polls.  Someone mentioned polls shouldn't come out until after October and I agree 100%!!!
I agree and disagree.  preseason polls give a starting point and something to talk about.  no meaningful poll is released until 4-6 games into the season.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2017, 02:51:25 pm
I agree and disagree.  preseason polls give a starting point and something to talk about.  no meaningful poll is released until 4-6 games into the season.

Ok, the only problem I have with PSP's is that the majority of teams who played mediocre or just flat out sucked are only back in due to name affiliation and archived success from years past.  But I agree it generates a buzz and sparks convo's which is exactly what we're doing right now. 

31to6

Quote from: FineAsSwine on August 21, 2017, 02:45:04 pm
If Kansas State can make the top 25 (at No. 20 no less) then that leaves hope for us. If not this year, then next for sure.

K-State recruiting rankings since 2013 from https://kansasstate.rivals.com/commitments/football/2018

2013    No. 65
2014    No. 47
2015    No. 45
2016    No. 80
2017    No. 63
2018    No. 88
Coaching matters. Snyder tends to have Texas' number. With a SR QB and a strong defense you have to like their chances to win 10 games.

I think @ Vandy is a tossup.
TX and OU have 1st year coaches. I still think they lose to OU and Okie State.

So the @TX and vs. WVU could determine their season.

PORKULATOR

That top 25 is hilarious. It deserves an asterisk.
'*'

There... Now I feel better.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

AirWarren

Obviously ESPN led snub.

Polecat

Quote from: Seebs on August 21, 2017, 01:57:47 pm
I'm more of a sure thing guy. What did you have in mind?

Whisky (Wisconsin). Not whiskey

Surprised to see the Badgers in the Top Ten
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

#1Fan

Quote from: Polecat on August 21, 2017, 03:32:44 pm

I think they finished the season in the top 10 last year and are supposed to be better this year and have an easier schedule.

PorkRinds

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 21, 2017, 02:23:38 pm
I have no doubt Texas will now get back to top 25 status since they have a good coach now...but it is laughable how they get in every single year despite what happened the year before.

They've been down for years now.

factchecker

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 21, 2017, 02:23:38 pm

Do you remember what happened last year after Texas beat an overhyped (as usual) Notre Dame?

The media always looks for a reason to rank Texas.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 21, 2017, 04:06:52 pm
They've been down for years now.

Which is crazy.  Recruiting alone should put them somewhere close to the top 25 year in and year out.  Why did Coach Strong do so bad there?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

31to6

Quote from: factchecker on August 21, 2017, 04:12:03 pm
Which is crazy.  Recruiting alone should put them somewhere close to the top 25 year in and year out.  Why did Coach Strong do so bad there?
He had to boot half the players off the team.

He did not want to just recruit another team full of entitled problem children.

Herman's recruiting is going to layer on top of a very solid foundation.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

It's so amazing what a great coach to do to turn a team around. Examples: penn st, Michigan, Louisville, USC, Miami

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

2013    No. 65
2014    No. 47
2015    No. 45
2016    No. 80
2017    No. 63
2018    No. 88

Great coaching

ricepig

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on August 21, 2017, 04:16:18 pm
It's so amazing what a great coach to do to turn a team around. Examples: penn st, Michigan, Louisville, USC, Miami

Yeah, Strong did a good job at Louisville.

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on August 21, 2017, 04:19:37 pm
Yeah, Strong did a good job at Louisville.

No doubt Strong did a great job of recruiting at Louisville and laid the foundation for Bobby but a good coach has to be able to develop his players and Strong hasn't had much success doing that.

Lou Holtz was just the opposite. He could take another coaches good foundation and have success for a while but eventually his inability to recruit would catch up to him.

factchecker

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on August 21, 2017, 04:16:18 pm

In what way did Louisville need to be turned around?

Strong left a very good foundation.  His Louisville teams went 11-2 (with Sugar Bowl win over Florida) and 12-1 before he went to Texas.

Strong turned around a Louisville program that went 5-7 and 4-8 the two seasons before.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

GoHogs1091

Quote from: GuvHog on August 21, 2017, 02:29:10 pm
I'm not surprised that they have Louisville up there. They return a lot of starters including their Heisman winning QB and are 1 of the favorites to win the ACC.

The polls are underestimating the Hogs though, I still feel like this is going to be a big year for them.

Louisville has to go to Tallahassee.  Florida State will be striving to punish Louisville because of last season.

Louisville does get Clemson in Louisville.  Lamar Jackson though shouldn't expect to run around on Clemson's Defense.

GuvHog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on August 21, 2017, 04:35:09 pm
Louisville has to go to Tallahassee.  Florida State will be striving to punish Louisville because of last season.

Louisville does get Clemson in Louisville.  Lamar Jackson though shouldn't expect to run around on Clemson's Defense.

Florida State hasn't been a force under Jimbo Fisher and Clemson lost a lot from last year's team. The schedule sets up good for Louisville this year.

Arkansas Fan

2013    No. 65
2014    No. 47
2015    No. 45
2016    No. 80
2017    No. 63
2018    No. 88

It's called coaching.

Hogwild

Quote from: GuvHog on August 21, 2017, 04:50:24 pm
Florida State hasn't been a force under Jimbo Fisher

???
1 of three active coaches with a national title to his credit,   4 top 10 finishes and 78-17 record in 7 seasons.

PossumFan

Quote from: Polecat on August 21, 2017, 03:32:44 pm

Whisky is how the Scots spell the alcoholic beverage. Whiskey is the Irish spelling (and the one used for American spirits of the same type). There's no "h" in Wisconsin, hence Wiscy.

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on August 21, 2017, 04:35:09 pm

Clemson sucks. So does Brent Venables.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: GuvHog on August 21, 2017, 04:50:24 pm
Florida State hasn't been a force under Jimbo Fisher and Clemson lost a lot from last year's team. The schedule sets up good for Louisville this year.

On Offense, Louisville lost six seniors who started their bowl game against LSU, as well as a Tight End who was an occasional starter.

On Defense, Louisville lost four senior starters, each of whom were NFL Draft prospects.

Last season was the season for Robert Petrino to get it done, even with also having an unexpected Heisman winning QB.  Robert got out-coached though last season and he didn't get it done.

davglo35

I think lack of depth caught up with Louisville down the stretch. I also think the Heismen should have went to Watson at Clemson. He probably wouldn't want it since it's more often than not a curse.
Preseason polls are always guessing game.

Hogwild

2013    No. 65
2014    No. 47
2015    No. 45
2016    No. 80
2017    No. 63
2018    No. 88

Kansas State's recruiting #s are also deceptive since the sign a good number of Jucos each year, which don't count in their point total.  I didn't go through all their classes, but the first two combined to have 9 players who had a zero score.