Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESPN FPI Predicts Arkansas's 2017 Football Season

Started by Youngsta71701, June 17, 2017, 06:44:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bigeasyhog

And they went to the Citrus Bowl with our old crappy coach

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bigeasyhog on June 24, 2017, 10:28:03 pm
Interesting how Louisville never used that crutch when they evolved from CUSA, to the Big East , and on to the ACC.

They don't play in the SEC. If we played in the Big 12, we would do better. I think we would do very well if we played in the ACC Coastal or the Big Ten West. It isn't an excuse to say that the SEC West remains the toughest conference in all of college football.
Go Hogs Go!

bigeasyhog

Yes, the SEC is a very difficult conference to navigate; I agree. However, that being said, strong programs evolve . You sound like everyone else; making excuses. Losers make those. Louisville doesn't make excuses for moving from CUSA to the ACC . We do. Hell, some of our SWC brethren like TCU and Houston( that we use to own) have embraced the step up in competition. We, on the other hand, use it as a crutch to explain away our underperformance .

factchecker

Quote from: bigeasyhog on June 25, 2017, 05:44:15 pm
Yes, the SEC is a very difficult conference to navigate; I agree. However, that being said, strong programs evolve . You sound like everyone else; making excuses. Losers make those. Louisville doesn't make excuses for moving from CUSA to the ACC . We do. Hell, some of our SWC brethren like TCU and Houston( that we use to own) have embraced the step up in competition. We, on the other hand, use it as a crutch to explain away our underperformance .

In what way has Houston "embraced the step up in competition"?  They play in a G5 conference.  They got beat by a horrible SMU team and was destroyed in their bowl game.

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bigeasyhog on June 25, 2017, 05:44:15 pm

OK, here's an honest question for you since you brought up TCU and Houston who according to you, don't make excuses. How do you think that they would fare in the SEC West? Think they would run the table? Win 5 or 6 conference games every year?
Go Hogs Go!

bigeasyhog

I don't know; good point. Who would they be huge underdogs to ? Bama , yes . Maybe an LSU or Auburn ? But outside of that , I see them in all the rest, honestly. Plus, depending on who they draw in the East, yeah, I do think they could win five plus.

rhames

I saw today bama was a 28 point favorite. Not sure if it was relaibe but

Ouch
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bigeasyhog on June 25, 2017, 06:21:13 pm
I don't know; good point. Who would they be huge underdogs to ? Bama , yes . Maybe an LSU or Auburn ? But outside of that , I see them in all the rest, honestly. Plus, depending on who they draw in the East, yeah, I do think they could win five plus.

You sir, are delusional. Houston doesn't play anywhere near the difficulty of schedule of anyone in the West and TCU tends to look good most of the time because they play in the Big 12. Good team, and I think TCU plays us tough in RRS this year, but they may challenge for the Big 12 Championship this coming year. Play a very physical SEC West schedule all year long and it would be a different story.
Go Hogs Go!

bigeasyhog

Muskogee, football is not a contact sport; it's a collision sport. We all know this. The fact is we'll never get to see either of them play our division schedule. But as much as we hang our hats on how difficult our division is, that doesn't mean any team can't cosistently win in that atmosphere. I certainly didn't get out on a limb and suggest they would win the division and represent us in the title game. But, to say they couldn't compete week in and week out, is a stretch as well.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bigeasyhog on June 25, 2017, 07:08:09 pm
Muskogee, football is not a contact sport; it's a collision sport. We all know this. The fact is we'll never get to see either of them play our division schedule. But as much as we hang our hats on how difficult our division is, that doesn't mean any team can't cosistently win in that atmosphere. I certainly didn't get out on a limb and suggest they would win the division and represent us in the title game. But, to say they couldn't compete week in and week out, is a stretch as well.

Football at the college level is both a collision and a contact sport, though I am not sure where you were going with this line of thought as it applies to one conference vs. another. Not sure I see the relevance.

What I will say is that playing in the SEC West, because of its physical nature and overall talent level, is more demanding and takes a greater toll on teams than playing in other conferences. That isn't something that is really up for debate and not because I say so, because others have said as much as well.

It's like saying that ACC teams have a better record against SEC teams in bowl games. Oh yeah, they won, but you can't account for the mindset of SEC teams after the season is over and they haven't achieved their goals. I guess you could say the same about other teams from other conferences as well, but when you play in the big dog conference and underachieve, mentally you just aren't as strong. You should be, but it always seems as if there is some drop off from teams who have played a very challenging SEC schedule all season long.

Listen, I would welcome any of the teams that you mentioned playing an SEC West regular season schedule every year and having to suffer the same physical and mental beat downs every week that every other team has to face. Any team can beat another team on any given Saturday, but to play at the level of most of the SEC West competition week in and week out is a different kind of animal.
Go Hogs Go!

Youngsta71701

"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Polecat

Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Al Boarland on June 27, 2017, 12:48:27 pm
https://twitter.com/sportstalkwbo/status/879431280726855680

But he also said this, which I am sure would surprise a lot of people.

Bo Mattingly‏ @SportsTalkwBo

Fuhrman: I would not be surprised if the TCU game line flipped, and Arkansas ended up being a short favorite.
Go Hogs Go!

rhames

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 27, 2017, 12:55:00 pm
But he also said this, which I am sure would surprise a lot of people.

Bo Mattingly‏ @SportsTalkwBo

Fuhrman: I would not be surprised if the TCU game line flipped, and Arkansas ended up being a short favorite.

So he expects us to win onky 2 sec games. 

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: rhames on June 27, 2017, 01:37:04 pm

So he expects us to win onky 2 sec games. 

Sounds like it, but no one knows at this point.
Go Hogs Go!

rhames

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 27, 2017, 01:42:16 pm
Sounds like it, but no one knows at this point.

Well no. No one does. Thanks for pointing that out lol

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: rhames on June 27, 2017, 02:13:12 pm

Well no. No one does. Thanks for pointing that out lol

I wasn't meaning to be obvious, I just meant that none of these prognosticators know anything right now. Everybody has a projection.

The only reason they pick us at 6-6 is because it is their safe space, meaning they really don't know what to make of us anymore than we do. They expected the Hogs to do well in 2012, but nope. They figured we would be better in 2013 than we were, but again, nope. In 2014 they picked us to be last in the conference, nope again. Then in 2015 they picked us to possibly contend for the SEC prior to the season, but we fooled them again.

6-6 is safe. If we do worse it won't be much worse and they won't be very wrong. If we do slightly better, say 8 wins, that isn't that much better and they still claim to be mostly right. Frankly I hope we win 9 or 10 and really make them wrong.
Go Hogs Go!

rhames

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 27, 2017, 02:35:15 pm
I wasn't meaning to be obvious, I just meant that none of these prognosticators know anything right now. Everybody has a projection.

The only reason they pick us at 6-6 is because it is their safe space, meaning they really don't know what to make of us anymore than we do. They expected the Hogs to do well in 2012, but nope. They figured we would be better in 2013 than we were, but again, nope. In 2014 they picked us to be last in the conference, nope again. Then in 2015 they picked us to possibly contend for the SEC prior to the season, but we fooled them again.

6-6 is safe. If we do worse it won't be much worse and they won't be very wrong. If we do slightly better, say 8 wins, that isn't that much better and they still claim to be mostly right. Frankly I hope we win 9 or 10 and really make them wrong.

I know. You've said it a million times.

depressed_fan

I don't see where they are getting Auburn as a 80% chance to beat us at home either unless they think we'll just be busted up from Alabama and roll over in the Auburn game too. I would think it would be more like 45/55.

Basically it's saying 6-6 is our most likely record. 7-5, and 5-7 both have a reasonably likelihood too. If your more optimistic than 7-5 you're probably going to be disappointed.

Hogwild

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 21, 2017, 07:38:47 pm
Look at what Phil Steele predicted from 2013 through 2016 and think back about our results and how it might have conflicted with what others were predicting.

Phil Steele's prediction for Arkansas for 2016 was anywhere from 5-7 to 9-3. That's a fairly large difference in predicted outcome. Too many possible variables to nail it down more closely.

Prior to 2015 he had us as a #22 pre season pick and suggested us as a contender in the SEC West but also picked us to come in at #5 in the West.

Prior to 2014 he had us picked last in the SEC West.

Prior to the 2013 season he also had us at #5 in the West and projected the Hogs to be one of his most improved teams over 2012.

Steele's prediction for the SEC standings were released today, same as previous years.
http://alabama.247sports.com/Gallery/Phil-Steele-predicts-SEC-order-of-finish-conference-champion-53398525/GallerySlides/590725

West:

1. Alabama
2. Auburn
3. LSU
4. Texas A&M
T-5. Ole Miss
T-5. Arkansas
7. Mississippi State

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hogwild on June 30, 2017, 07:56:19 pm
Steele's prediction for the SEC standings were released today, same as previous years.
http://alabama.247sports.com/Gallery/Phil-Steele-predicts-SEC-order-of-finish-conference-champion-53398525/GallerySlides/590725

West:

1. Alabama
2. Auburn
3. LSU
4. Texas A&M
T-5. Ole Miss
T-5. Arkansas
7. Mississippi State

We will end up around 3 or 4, not essentially tied for 5th with 1 other team in the West. Miss State will finish above Ole Miss.
Go Hogs Go!

Arkansas Fan

Mitch C

EVERY year it's the same story.  News outlets always project a more modest season than what we as fans expect, every year we spend the pre-season cutting the media down and saying they are missing something.  Yet every year after a few games we are shocked at our poor performance and after the season we are reeling over the disappointing season.

Maybe people say we suck because we suck.

LZH

We spend roughly half what Tennessee does in recruiting. I think that's a very telling number.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Mitch C on July 01, 2017, 09:58:59 am
EVERY year it's the same story.  News outlets always project a more modest season than what we as fans expect, every year we spend the pre-season cutting the media down and saying they are missing something.  Yet every year after a few games we are shocked at our poor performance and after the season we are reeling over the disappointing season.

Maybe people say we suck because we suck.

Not exactly.

In the pre-seasons leading up to each of the seasons since 2012 here is how it has worked out.

2012-Media predicted we would be better (like 2011) and we disappointed.
2013-With the arrival of Bielema they again predicted we would be at least decent and again, we disappointed.
2014-They predicted us to be at the bottom of the West and again, we surprised them.
2015-The Media thought we would contend for the West. Again, they couldn't get us figured out.
2016-For 2016 we were picked to finish either 4th or 5th in the West by most of the Media. We finished 5th.

One year out of the last 5 the media has got it right. It isn't any wonder they are predicting we will go 6-6 this year, maybe 7-5. It's a safe prediction in their eyes. Their "safe space". Can't blame them, they can't figure us out anymore than we as fans seem to be able to figure out what our team is going to produce.

I know this. We should have won more than we actually did the last 3 years. JMO, but Bielema needs to win 9 this year to show progress in the program.

And, we don't suck.
Go Hogs Go!

HamSammich

Quote from: southeasthog on June 17, 2017, 11:34:04 am
But Hamsammich says that Austin isn't really that good and the Allen Brothers will be the downfall of Beliema and Long. Now I don't know what to believe.

You'll be choking on this post buddy. Have fun

HoGFromTheStart

I'm going to be optimistic and say 8-9 wins. Close games at that. We have a senior QB who is great. Especially seeing him playing in person at the Texas Southern game, LSwho, and Bama. He got the crap knocked out of him.  So many people see the stats on sacks but I myself and don't quote me "75,000" other fans saw who were also there and let's say I million people watching on TV watched him get after so many plays. If he has nothing else but being a leader and tough as a badars I think we would be good but we all know he can throw and when he has time make some huge plays. Also we have Dre on D in the the back and also Pulley. So if we have an offense  line: like I expect that we should, then I can see an 8 win reg.season and to top it off with a bowl game to make 9.Im not the biggest cbb fan but with the new D, I say we beat Bama on the road, but lose to SC, LSU, Auburn and A&M. I may have to eat my words but I was a "Hog from the start." That's a 28 year, solid die hard loving this team youngbuck compared to some of the O.g hog fans.
     So yeah that's my say!! Go Gogs Go!!! I could always be a 3 and 7 year hahaha. But 8 or 9 wins would rejuvenate this very talented football team. WPS!!
DSTo (not a journalist) suck it trebek!

Al Boarland

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 30, 2017, 07:58:51 pm
We will end up around 3 or 4, not essentially tied for 5th with 1 other team in the West. Miss State will finish above Ole Miss.

Why do you state things as fact when they have yet to happen? Very strange.

rhames

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 02, 2017, 07:35:13 am

He is just being safe because he can't figure us out.  ;)

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 02, 2017, 07:35:13 am

It's called an opinion. I think you and Rhames are both familiar with those.
Go Hogs Go!

rhames

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 02, 2017, 07:57:11 am
It's called an opinion. I think you and Rhames are both familiar with those.

I think it's more of the fact that you discredit anyone who thinks the hogs are in for another 6 or 7 win season. I'm pretty sure every year you predict an 8+ win season and there is nothing wrong with that. I hope that happens. However there is more reason to believe we are in store for another average season.

I was just thinking last night while watching miss state highlights from our game with them that the best word to describe the Bret era is inconsistent. The guy has won some tough games here. What he has done on the road the past 2 seasons is kind of awesome. It is truly mind boggling that his team can dominate a good team on the road then drop a turd.

You can say all you want that we should have won more games. We didn't. I like Bret but it's hard to see why we shouldn't expect anything other than what we have been getting.

I'm sure we will upset a team and I'm sure we will lose to someone we aren't suppose to.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: rhames on July 02, 2017, 08:14:17 am

I think it's more of the fact that you discredit anyone who thinks the hogs are in for another 6 or 7 win season. I'm pretty sure every year you predict an 8+ win season and there is nothing wrong with that. I hope that happens. However there is more reason to believe we are in store for another average season.

I was just thinking last night while watching miss state highlights from our game with them that the best word to describe the Bret era is inconsistent. The guy has won some tough games here. What he has done on the road the past 2 seasons is kind of awesome. It is truly mind boggling that his team can dominate a good team on the road then drop a turd.

You can say all you want that we should have won more games. We didn't. I like Bret but it's hard to see why we shouldn't expect anything other than what we have been getting.

I'm sure we will upset a team and I'm sure we will lose to someone we aren't suppose to.

I don't think I have actually discredited anyone, I might have debated or disagreed, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Is it possible that we will only win 7 or 6 or even 5? Sure, anything is possible. It's also "possible" that we could win 11 or 12. I don't think we will, but it is possible.

We have definitely laid some eggs over the past 3 seasons and that is why, looking back, I can say that we very well could have been 9, 10 and 10 the last 3 seasons. That isn't more devastating or disappointing to us than it is the team and the staff. Still, I think we would all agree that we left potential wins on the field.

And it is because of this that I have said repeatedly that for me, Bielema has to win 9 this year to be able to make a case for the program getting better. I've even said that if we win only 8, the 4 that we lost better have all been games where we played the opponent tough and close and consistent, where we didn't just hand them the game. If that were the case and we only won 8 while playing very competitively being "in" every game right up to the finish, I would be good with that.

As much as I like everything else that he does with the program, I'm not giving Bielema a pass this year. It's time to show significant improvement as I described it above.
Go Hogs Go!

daBoar

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 02, 2017, 08:44:07 am
As much as I like everything else that he does with the program, I'm not giving Bielema a pass this year. It's time to show significant improvement as I described it above.
My view is the program regressed last year.  Going backward in Year 4 is not a good sign of a program that's "building".  I agree with the need for 9 wins...just to cancel out last year's debacle on the trend line.

98hogs

Quote from: hog of steele on June 17, 2017, 11:51:50 am
Disclaimer: I still love CBB and I think he has done well for us.

The buyout protects him for another year. 5-7 will not cost him his job. But it would definitely put him on the clock. 5-7 this year, followed by 5-7 next year would probably finish him. But I expect we will win 7 or 8 this year.
5 and 7  he gone

GuvHog

Quote from: 98hogs on July 02, 2017, 02:35:54 pm
  5 and 7  he gone

Yeah, if the Hogs go 5-7 this year, Bret would be bought out. The big money boosters would band together to make that happen.

That said, I don't see the Hogs losing 7 games.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on July 02, 2017, 04:47:30 pm
Yeah, if the Hogs go 5-7 this year, Bret would be bought out. The big money boosters would band together to make that happen.

That said, I don't see the Hogs losing 7 games.

No. He will still be here. It isn't up to the big money boosters.

Also, people with money didn't get it by blowing it on things such as paying a football coach to go away.

Plus it isn't just Bret's buyout. It's the staff. The buyout for the new coach. Right now that would/could be around 20MM plus just to get rid of him. Not going to happen 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: rhames on July 02, 2017, 05:00:47 pm

Also, people with money didn't get it by blowing it on things such as paying a football coach to go away.

Plus it isn't just Bret's buyout. It's the staff. The buyout for the new coach. Right now that would/could be around 20MM plus just to get rid of him. Not going to happen 

Bielema isn't going anywhere before 2018 is over, short of going 5-7 or worse in 2017 (JMO). But should Bielema win 8 or less (minimum with close losses in the other 4 games), I think as much as Jeff Long would hate to do it, he has to pull that list out of his right hand desk drawer that lists potential successors and start networking that list.
Go Hogs Go!

DLUXHOG

Quote from: 98hogs on July 02, 2017, 02:35:54 pm
  5 and 7  he gone

And..... what if they go undefeated?   Not saying they will, but not one game of the 2017 season has been yet played, and..... anything is possible.   So if they go undefeated, will you, and all the other pissers and moaners on here rapel from the top of Hawksbill Crag down to the Buffalo River?  You guys could make it a team event....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

GuvHog

Quote from: rhames on July 02, 2017, 05:00:47 pm

It won't just be the big money boosters. If the Hogs go 5-7, Jeff Long would be under serious pressure from the PTB to make the buyout happen. This wouldn't be the first time he caved in to pressure.

GuvHog

Quote from: DLUXHOG on July 02, 2017, 06:07:25 pm
And..... what if they go undefeated?   Not saying they will, but not one game of the 2017 season has been yet played, and..... anything is possible.   So if they go undefeated, will you, and all the other pissers and moaners on here rapel from the top of Hawksbill Crag down to the Buffalo River?  You guys could make it a team event....

I badly want Bret Bielema to be successful here at Arkansas so I would be absolutely thrilled if the Hogs go undefeated this year but that's not likely to happen.

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on July 02, 2017, 06:36:16 pm
It won't just be the big money boosters. If the Hogs go 5-7, Jeff Long would be under serious pressure from the PTB to make the buyout happen. This wouldn't be the first time he caved in to pressure.

Ohhh the ptb.....

Jeff Long's boss cares more about athletes' grades than winning. As it should be. Jeff is left to run the athletic department. This isn't the old days

Bret will be here until either Jeff thinks it's time for a change of Jeff isn't here anymore.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: rhames on July 02, 2017, 06:43:41 pm

Ohhh the ptb.....

Jeff Long's boss cares more about athletes' grades than winning. As it should be. Jeff is left to run the athletic department. This isn't the old days

Bret will be here until either Jeff thinks it's time for a change of Jeff isn't here anymore.

I know that you believe that, but I don't think you are right in your opinion.
Go Hogs Go!

GuvHog

Quote from: rhames on July 02, 2017, 06:43:41 pm

Ohhh the ptb.....

Jeff Long was pressured into hiring Bobby Petrino and he was force fed Mike Anderson like a baby in a high chair.  He caved in to the pressure both times and he'll cave again if pressured to do so.

rhames

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 02, 2017, 06:46:06 pm
I know that you believe that, but I don't think you are right in your opinion.

What part isn't right?

I think you take me trying to be critical of upper level university officials. I'm not. They are more focused on academics and such.  That's the way it should be. I'm not one of those people who think Jeff long doesn't want to win. I know he does.

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on July 02, 2017, 06:48:03 pm
Jeff Long was pressured into hiring Bobby Petrino and he was force fed Mike Anderson like a baby in a high chair.  He caved in to the pressure both times and he'll cave again if pressured to do so.

He wasn't pressured to hire Bobby. He didn't really believe Bobby wanted the job until Bobby's lawyer/agent (Bobby usually acts as his own in most cases) got in touch with long.

It wasn't the "PTB" that forced long to hire Anderson. It was a movement of former players that said it would be the best hire and convinced long they were right.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: rhames on July 02, 2017, 06:48:19 pm

What part isn't right?

I thimk that if we don't get to 9 wins in the regular season, or 8 wins with narrow losses that are extremely competitive, that Long pulls out his list and starts a search, more quickly if we win less than 6. But given that you have been monitoring my posts, I am surprised that you are even asking.
Go Hogs Go!

rhames

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 02, 2017, 06:54:43 pm
I thimk that if we don't get to 9 wins in the regular season, or 8 wins with narrow losses that are extremely competitive, that Long pulls out his list and starts a search, more quickly if we win less than 6. But given that you have been monitoring my posts, I am surprised that you are even asking.

In what way did I say that wouldn't happen? I said he would still be here if he only won 5. He has 2 more seasons

I'm not monitoring your posts. There are basically 3 active threads with about 5 active posters. Don't flatter yourself

Deep Shoat

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 02, 2017, 06:54:43 pm
He has two seasons to reel in 17 wins or get to the playoffs.  Doesn't matter how he gets there.

5 wins this season (not going to happen) just means he has to win a playoff game next season.
All Gas, No Brakes!