Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UA Track

Started by COACHINTEXAS, June 15, 2017, 09:10:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

COACHINTEXAS

What has happen to our track program? We were the cream of the crop, the Norte Dame of football and we have fallen so far so quickly. I personal blame Jeff Long for a very mediocre hire. I don't understand why you wouldn't hire John McDonald's top assistant, Dick Booth. Coach Booth could have wore 40 national championship rings to recruit and Buckman has nothing to show. It just doesn't make sense to me. When you have the history that we do in track, you don't hire a guy from Northern Iowa. In my opinion, it just goes to show that Long cares more about money than winning. I wish the guy would leave!!
No one plans to fail, they fail to plan!!!!

rhames

I blame Jeff Long for your English skills
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

COACHINTEXAS

If you are concerned about English skills on a sports site, maybe your fan card needs to be revoked!

hog of steele

This year...
The No. 4 Arkansas men's track and field team was named the John McDonnell Program of the Year after being the only team o post top-five finishes at the cross country, indoor and outdoor national meets.

Top 5 in all three disciplines doesn't sound too terrible to me.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Oh good Lord.  Coach Bucknam has been here 9 years!!! 

He just won the national "Track Program of the Year" award.  He won a national title and will win others.  He has something like 18 SEC championships and at least a dozen conference coach of the year awards. 

COACHINTEXAS

He's been here 9 years and you're proud that he has won 1 national championship in 27 tries. Now, I know what's wrong with UA.

hog of steele

Quote from: COACHINTEXAS on June 15, 2017, 09:30:14 am
He's been here 9 years and you're proud that he has won 1 national championship in 27 tries. Now, I know what's wrong with UA.

I do as well. We have fans who try to run off coaches. I don't know why they do this. Maybe its a fun game to them. Won one. How many have we finished in the top 5 for?

limitless

Really?  I posted about this a few days ago when Bucknam's team won the John McDonnell award.  There will NEVER be another John McDonnell. Period. And get over not hiring Dick Booth, he's over 70 now and retired.

Bucknam's philosophy is different from John's.  I get it.  He's a different coach, a different person.  What he has done very well is surround himself with real coaching talent.  And he gets a lot out of his athletes at the key times.  No we don't have the distance teams from the past, but he puts up good teams year in and year out.  And I say this as one of John's former distance runners.

tbhogfan

I'll ping in as a former track athlete under John McDonnell.  I've had my differences with Coach Bucknam, especially when it came to his handling of Coach Booth, and his insistence at the time of betting the Field Event Farm on Multi-Event athletes.  That being said, Coach Bucknam is an outstanding track coach who was put into the bad position of following a legend.

I would like people to give the following a bit of consideration:  How would we be treating CBB if he had just won the SEC Championship game, played in a BCS bowl and finished #4 in the country?  How would we be treating CMA if we had gone to the Final Four this year, after dominating Kentucky at the SEC Championship?  Would either of these accomplishments be considered a failure or a slippage of the program?

The bottom line is that the Track Hogs are CONSISTENT SEC champions under Coach Bucknam (this year the SEC finished 1,2,4,5 at NCAA outdoors just in case you think that it's a weak track conference), and are also CONSISTENT NCAA top-10 finishers. In addition, the Hogs have won a NCAA championship under Coach Bucknam. 

I defy you to name ANY other coach or program at the UA that has come anywhere near these accomplishments, aside from the greatest track coach of all time.
Go Hogs!

rljjr

Quote from: tbhogfan on June 15, 2017, 10:29:05 am
I'll ping in as a former track athlete under John McDonnell.  I've had my differences with Coach Bucknam, especially when it came to his handling of Coach Booth, and his insistence at the time of betting the Field Event Farm on Multi-Event athletes.  That being said, Coach Bucknam is an outstanding track coach who was put into the bad position of following a legend.

I would like people to give the following a bit of consideration:  How would we be treating CBB if he had just won the SEC Championship game, played in a BCS bowl and finished #4 in the country?  How would we be treating CMA if we had gone to the Final Four this year, after dominating Kentucky at the SEC Championship?  Would either of these accomplishments be considered a failure or a slippage of the program?

The bottom line is that the Track Hogs are CONSISTENT SEC champions under Coach Bucknam (this year the SEC finished 1,2,4,5 at NCAA outdoors just in case you think that it's a weak track conference), and are also CONSISTENT NCAA top-10 finishers. In addition, the Hogs have won a NCAA championship under Coach Bucknam. 

I defy you to name ANY other coach or program at the UA that has come anywhere near these accomplishments, aside from the greatest track coach of all time.

There you have it folks, perspective, and from somebody who has been there and done that and probably has multiple team national championships next to his name.

ICEman

Quote from: COACHINTEXAS on June 15, 2017, 09:10:20 am
What has happen to our track program? We were the cream of the crop, the Norte Dame of football and we have fallen so far so quickly. I personal blame Jeff Long for a very mediocre hire. I don't understand why you wouldn't hire John McDonald's top assistant, Dick Booth. Coach Booth could have wore 40 national championship rings to recruit and Buckman has nothing to show. It just doesn't make sense to me. When you have the history that we do in track, you don't hire a guy from Northern Iowa. In my opinion, it just goes to show that Long cares more about money than winning. I wish the guy would leave!!
Arrrggggg!!!
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

3kgthog

We've seen how we'd treat a coach that went to a BCS bowl and finished top 5 in the country. He got fired. Remember?

311Hog

Quote from: 3kgthog on June 15, 2017, 10:48:48 am
We've seen how we'd treat a coach that went to a BCS bowl and finished top 5 in the country. He got fired. Remember?

lol wow.....

yraciv

That Lance Harter has a pretty good "Women's Track" program going as well.

Oklahawg

Poor Coachintexas. Came to HV to stir the pot and had it dumped over his head.

We have serious fans who bash the track coach and bash DVH. I get that you might find fault with CBB or CMA but Bucknam and DVH? Puh-lease.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

runninhog

We're still a dominant program, just a different type of program and in an era where there's a lot more emphasis by schools on having top flight track and field programs.

We're not the power we were in CC or in the distance events on the oval, but still not too bad.

Arkansas and Oregon are probably the only schools in the country where fans are "concerned" about the track program. That says a lot about our program!

Inhogswetrust

UMMMMM. We've covered this......................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PorkRinds

I wonder how many championships and awards coachintexas has won, and if he holds himself to the same standard.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Oklahawg on June 15, 2017, 11:25:40 am
Poor Coachintexas. Came to HV to stir the pot and had it dumped over his head.

We have serious fans who bash the track coach and bash DVH. I get that you might find fault with CBB or CMA but Bucknam and DVH? Puh-lease.

If either our football or basketball programs were ranked as high as our track program has been under Bucknam then they would could make RRS seat 100,000 and there would be a waiting list for season tickets and BWA would have a huge waiting list like it did when it first opened.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PorkRinds on June 15, 2017, 11:46:26 am
I wonder how many championships and awards coachintexas has won, and if he holds himself to the same standard.

That's one of the best questions posted on here in a long time. Good work. Let's not hold our breath waiting on him to respond..........................

Hog Fan...DOH!

I'd also like to add that in the track world, Arkansas Track was far superior, and remains far superior, to Notre Dame football. 

tbhogfan

Quote from: yraciv on June 15, 2017, 10:58:54 am
That Lance Harter has a pretty good "Women's Track" program going as well.
Lance gets about one billionth the recognition he deserves. 

When John left, I thought that there was an outside chance that they would name Lance the coach over both the men's and women's programs.  Several of the top programs have a single head coach over both men's and women's programs, and I always thought it would have been a good move.
Go Hogs!

Vantage 8 dude

Well one thing we DON'T have to wonder: Whether or not this poster is a total troll/moron. He clearly pointed out that fact by this post. Enough said........

runninhog

Quote from: tbhogfan on June 16, 2017, 01:10:02 pm
Lance gets about one billionth the recognition he deserves. 

When John left, I thought that there was an outside chance that they would name Lance the coach over both the men's and women's programs.  Several of the top programs have a single head coach over both men's and women's programs, and I always thought it would have been a good move.

My daughter ran for Lance. He's one of the top coaches in the country, especially for middle distance.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PorkRinds on June 15, 2017, 11:46:26 am

Well here it is with the weekend about over and I'm not surprised he hasn't said yet as to coaching standards for himself! I'm betting big bucks he hasn't won many championships if any at all................................

Oklahawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 18, 2017, 08:18:45 pm
Well here it is with the weekend about over and I'm not surprised he hasn't said yet as to coaching standards for himself! I'm betting big bucks he hasn't won many championships if any at all................................

He can't take time to login - too busy counting his participation trophies?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Tejano Jawg

Great post tbhogfan. And remember the old saying...you don't want to be the coach who follows a coaching legend.

Our track program under John McD was the most dominant in history, in any sport (with the possible exception of Iowa wrestling, and ours still may be better). So, there's following your garden-variety legend, then there's following the greatest EVER. Despite that, I'd say Bucknam has been pretty respectable. Heck, I recall 'disgruntled' threads like this one a year or two after he took over.

Nationally, we're solid. And I've always been a fan of all those SEC Triple Crowns we've won under Bucknam. That has a nice ring to it.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

BorderPatrol

Well, this didn't work out like the OP thought it would.

bp

kp72204

I believe the track programs is the best one we have to offer. Other SEC teams have to go S-E-C  cheering for the Hogs when they do nationals. 4th in the country ( I'd kill for those results in football) is better than not qualifying.

Stephen Greene

Fire Mike Neighbors  >:(

runninhog

Quote from: Stephen Greene on June 20, 2017, 02:13:12 pm
Fire Mike Neighbors  >:(

He finished strong last year. Only lost the last 11.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

HAve we not fired anyone yet.!? [/sarcasm]

I see my sarcastic "Fire SOME Butts" post got deleted because I failed to use the sarcasm font before...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Youngsta71701

"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

June 21, 2017, 11:54:08 am #33 Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 12:27:17 pm by Youngsta71701

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdwXuB1mkqI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN0ZmK5QTNY
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

runninhog

I realize the OP mentioned track in their post, but the cross country team isn't what it used to be. We won 11 national titles, but the last one was in 2000. And yeah, we've never lost an SEC title, but the SEC is a weak conference for cross.

Our distance dominance started slipping after the 2005 season. By 2007, we'd slipped to 23rd in cross country and 28th in 2008. Back up to 5th last year, but you really don't get the sense we are a big challenge to Oregon, Colorado, Stanford or even Okie State.

hog of steele

Quote from: runninhog on June 21, 2017, 02:47:31 pm
I realize the OP mentioned track in their post, but the cross country team isn't what it used to be. We won 11 national titles, but the last one was in 2000. And yeah, we've never lost an SEC title, but the SEC is a weak conference for cross.

Our distance dominance started slipping after the 2005 season. By 2007, we'd slipped to 23rd in cross country and 28th in 2008. Back up to 5th last year, but you really don't get the sense we are a big challenge to Oregon, Colorado, Stanford or even Okie State.

OP is just stepped in it. Probably should just take a mulligan.

I imagine different coaches have different philosophies about how to get stuff done. Coach Mac believed in the distance running and did something special. This coach is doing a fine job keeping us up in the rankings. If we stay around the top we will eventually break through again. Nobody could say our program is anything less than fantastic. But it is hard to win championships.

runninhog

Quote from: hog of steele on June 21, 2017, 04:40:00 pm
OP is just stepped in it. Probably should just take a mulligan.

I imagine different coaches have different philosophies about how to get stuff done. Coach Mac believed in the distance running and did something special. This coach is doing a fine job keeping us up in the rankings. If we stay around the top we will eventually break through again. Nobody could say our program is anything less than fantastic. But it is hard to win championships.

That can definitely happen. Arkansas still has a legendary aura in the distance community. There's an interesting thread in letsrun about the old days at Arky and some of the legendary workouts Arkansas distance guys did. I've talked to some former All-Americans at Tennessee about what it was like to line up against us once we entered the SEC. A lot of respect from those guys and they had people like Todd Williams just before we showed up. Todd was as good as they come.

ICEman

While perusing the startlists for the USATF Championships I spotted this anomaly. Does anyone know if Lexi has joined the pro ranks?
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

HiggiePiggy

Lol this is why you never want to be the coach that replaces a legend because no matter how good you have done it doesn't compare to what the person before you had done. Razorbacks are still pretty damn good in track.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

runninhog

Quote from: ICEman on June 22, 2017, 03:13:24 pm
While perusing the startlists for the USATF Championships I spotted this anomaly. Does anyone know if Lexi has joined the pro ranks?

No. She's still a member of the Arkansas team. College track athletes participate as "unattached" for several reasons, most often due to redshirt status. That's the case here, but it basically means she's not representing Arkansas at the meet. So why would her sister be listed as an Arkansas athlete? Not sure. It may have to do with some rule about colleges having more than one athlete in a U.S.A. championship event, or it could have to do with qualifying marks. If you get the A, the school probably pays for your travel. If not, you can qualify, but you pay your own travel and enter as unattached. She'll probably still vault in the Arkansas signet.

runninhog

Nikki Hiltz got 6th in the 1500 yesterday. Not bad for someone that just wrapped up 3 championship meets and was surely tired. She went out up front with the leaders (she says her idols), including Jenny Simpson, a former world champion and held on as long as she could, still beating some really great runners. She's a strong contender for a national title next year and could end up as the Arkansas record holder in that event. She ran 4:10...the record is 4:08.

hawgmasta

Quote from: BorderPatrol on June 19, 2017, 02:18:43 pm
Well, this didn't work out like the OP thought it would.

bp

Lol. He got hogpiled.

ICEman

Quote from: runninhog on June 25, 2017, 09:38:10 am
Nikki Hiltz got 6th in the 1500 yesterday. Not bad for someone that just wrapped up 3 championship meets and was surely tired. She went out up front with the leaders (she says her idols), including Jenny Simpson, a former world champion and held on as long as she could, still beating some really great runners. She's a strong contender for a national title next year and could end up as the Arkansas record holder in that event. She ran 4:10...the record is 4:08.
Though she did not move on to the world's, D. Harper ran a couple of 50 points in the rounds of the 400m.