Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My main problem watching the officiating in this tournament

Started by 40MinutesOfHellFOREVER, March 24, 2017, 09:14:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

40MinutesOfHellFOREVER

Refs seem lazy as hell..and by that I mean, WHENEVER they see a player trip/fall to the floor or whenever they see two players come into contact with each other, it seems to me that they AUTOMATICALLY BLOW THEIR WHISTLE to call a foul, rather than waiting to actually following the action intently and waiting to see if a foul occurs/occurred.  I have seen this a lot...where an offensive player will slip on the floor or trip over his own feet, and the refs automatically blow a whistle just because he fell with a defender nearby, so they automatically assume he was fouled.  What the heck happened to watching the action intently and only blowing your whistle IF You actually saw a foul occur, rather than blowing it when you think a foul is ABOUT TO OCCUR or when you ASSUME A FOUL HAS OCCURRED, without any direct visual evidence?  Has anyone else noticed this or just me?

The Boar War

Quote from: 40MinutesOfHellFOREVER on March 24, 2017, 09:14:22 pm
Refs seem lazy as hell..and by that I mean, WHENEVER they see a player trip/fall to the floor or whenever they see two players come into contact with each other, it seems to me that they AUTOMATICALLY BLOW THEIR WHISTLE to call a foul, rather than waiting to actually following the action intently and waiting to see if a foul occurs/occurred.  I have seen this a lot...where an offensive player will slip on the floor or trip over his own feet, and the refs automatically blow a whistle just because he fell with a defender nearby, so they automatically assume he was fouled.  What the heck happened to watching the action intently and only blowing your whistle IF You actually saw a foul occur, rather than blowing it when you think a foul is ABOUT TO OCCUR or when you ASSUME A FOUL HAS OCCURRED, without any direct visual evidence?  Has anyone else noticed this or just me?

I can think of a specific instance when they did swallow the whistle (cough, cough UNC).

In all honesty it seems like they've let them play more than we usually see in the SEC.  Some of the conference games have been free throw shooting contests.  In that sense I do agree that anticipatory fouls make for a poor experience.

HardCore

For me...the 20 personal fouls for Arkansas vs. the 10 for NC.  No team plays that flawlessly compared to the other.  That provides a huge advantage when one team is in the double bonus toward the end of the game and the other is not.  Then, any tricky-tack foul earns one team an automatic (unearned) 2 points relative to their opponent (who has to earn theirs).
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

hogsanity

Quote from: HardCore on March 24, 2017, 11:24:33 pm
For me...the 20 personal fouls for Arkansas vs. the 10 for NC.  No team plays that flawlessly compared to the other.  That provides a huge advantage when one team is in the double bonus toward the end of the game and the other is not.  Then, any tricky-tack foul earns one team an automatic (unearned) 2 points relative to their opponent (who has to earn theirs).

Hogs had a game like that against a&m where Hogs had 4 fouls the entire 2nd half.

Quote from: 40MinutesOfHellFOREVER on March 24, 2017, 09:14:22 pm

Except at the end of regular time in flas/Wisconsin where the wisc player crushed the fl player when he was catching the ball on the long pass with 2 seconds left.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

RagingHawgOn

F*cking Berry got by with the same crap late in the game today. BS!