Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

LB COACH

Started by Dropkick, February 07, 2017, 04:31:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dropkick

Looks like we filled the DL spot. Now who for LB coach? Someone with 3-4 background?

ricepig

Nope, going for an offensive analyst guy for this job. Who knows, we need a better recruiter for that side of the ball, but I know of no one to fit that bill.

jackflash

with us going to he 3-4 this will be the bigger hire

colbs

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.  I imagine it will be someone that has prior experience in the 3-4.  Also, I wonder if BB will be looking toward the NFL ranks again.  To me it's a little concerning that it's almost they are looking for help with the 3-4.  That's a little scary as it kind of seems they are not that confident in themselves in knowing the 3-4 well enough.  Other teams that run the 3-4 have hired position coaches that coached 4-3 defenses.  Hopefully it works out.

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: colbs on February 08, 2017, 09:28:02 am
It will be interesting to see how this plays out.  I imagine it will be someone that has prior experience in the 3-4.  Also, I wonder if BB will be looking toward the NFL ranks again.  To me it's a little concerning that it's almost they are looking for help with the 3-4.  That's a little scary as it kind of seems they are not that confident in themselves in knowing the 3-4 well enough.  Other teams that run the 3-4 have hired position coaches that coached 4-3 defenses.  Hopefully it works out.

A coach whose experienced both 3-4 and 4-3 defenses and that can win the living room would be my best guess...

wachhog

Quote from: lilRockNDubb on February 08, 2017, 03:57:40 pm
A coach whose experienced both 3-4 and 4-3 defenses and that can win the living room would be my best guess...
your guess as to who they  woukd like to hire? Surely, not your best guess as to who they'll actually end up with...

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: wachhog on February 08, 2017, 10:00:56 pm
your guess as to who they  woukd like to hire? Surely,not your best guess as to who they'll actually end up with.

Fixed it for ya...

RazorPiggie

colbs

Yeah surprised no names are being thrown around.  Which tells me that people on HV really don't know many LB coaches.  So the majority will complain about the hire because they never heard of the guy.

grayhawg

We are rapidly getting used to no name hires.

colbs

Quote from: grayhawg on February 09, 2017, 08:18:46 pm
We are rapidly getting used to no name hires.
To be fair I bet majority of fans can't name many assistants from other schools besides coordinators.

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: colbs on February 09, 2017, 08:22:47 pm
To be fair I bet majority of fans can't name many assistants from other schools besides coordinators.

Unless the coach was in the news, a big name, or a Broyle's award finalist most assistants are "no names" even coordinators.

Pork Twain

Quote from: lilRockNDubb on February 09, 2017, 08:40:55 pm
Unless the coach was in the news, a big name, or a Broyle's award finalist most assistants are "no names" even coordinators.
People only forget this when the Hogs make a hire
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

ADavisTheGOAT

Vernon Hargreaves isn't our LB coach anymore?
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

factchecker

Quote from: Hogfan991 on February 09, 2017, 09:29:45 pm
Vernon Hargreaves isn't our LB coach anymore?

We are going to have 2 LB coaches.  Inside and outside.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

colbs

At signing day in the Rock he said he would have his staff completed by I think he said 2/29 but it's not a leap year so maybe I heard wrong. The reason I bring up is because he had set date.  So I wonder if it has to do with one of the coaches he is going after has a buyout that drops after that date.  It could simply mean that is when he plans to have everything wrapped up though.

RedyorNot

Is Scott Jr. going to be handling Special Teams too like Segrest did? I haven't seen anyone labeled with that responsibility, and that area really needs help.

Jimmy Chitwood

Quote from: colbs on February 10, 2017, 10:11:40 am
At signing day in the Rock he said he would have his staff completed by I think he said 2/29 but it's not a leap year so maybe I heard wrong. The reason I bring up is because he had set date.  So I wonder if it has to do with one of the coaches he is going after has a buyout that drops after that date.  It could simply mean that is when he plans to have everything wrapped up though.

I think I read that he said he would have the full staff in place by 2/20 when Spring Ball starts.
Good things come to those who wait, but only what's left behind by those that hustle.

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: Jimmy Chitwood on February 10, 2017, 10:54:44 am
I think I read that he said he would have the full staff in place by 2/20 when Spring Ball starts.

That is correct..
but sooner.

ricepig

Spring ball doesn't start until March, but he said the staff would start meetings for spring ball on Feb 20th.

hvsupastar

"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

colbs

Ok that makes sense.  I didn't think about spring meetings starting in February.

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: hvsupastar on February 10, 2017, 11:08:04 am
Kevin Greene

As in Kevin Greene who was just hired last month by the Jets as OLB coach? That Kevin Greene?? Interesting..

Dropkick

I will make a guess.................................Dan Lanning - Univ. of Memphis

RazorPiggie

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Dropkick on February 10, 2017, 11:49:32 am
I will make a guess.................................Dan Lanning - Univ. of Memphis

Interesting name. Seems to be a guy on the way up

ricepig

Read elsewhere where he will be announced tomorrow.

hawgjr

Quote from: ricepig on February 10, 2017, 08:10:59 pm
Read elsewhere where he will be announced tomorrow.
Where's this info coming from? Inquiring minds want to know! ;D

ricepig

Quote from: LFC Hog on February 10, 2017, 08:32:57 pm
Where's this info coming from? Inquiring minds want to know! ;D

From unverified sources, haha. I'm not sure I'm buying it, just yet.

hawgjr

Quote from: ricepig on February 10, 2017, 08:41:05 pm
From unverified sources, haha. I'm not sure I'm buying it, just yet.
Any name or names being bandied about?

bennyl08

Bob Babich would be a great, though unlikely hire. 3-4 experience, some college experience though several decades ago. Decent NFL DC for a few years even.

Tulsa (1984)
Graduate assistant
Tulsa (1985–1987)
Outside linebackers coach & tight ends coach
Wisconsin (1985–1987)
Outside linebackers coach
Tulsa (1990)
Bowling Green (1991)
Inside linebackers coach
East Carolina (1992–1993)
Inside linebackers coach
Pittsburgh (1994–1995)
Linebackers coach
Pittsburgh (1996)
Linebackers coach & special teams coach
North Dakota State (1997–2002)
Head coach
St. Louis Rams (2003)
Linebackers coach
Chicago Bears (2004–2005)
Linebackers coach
Chicago Bears (2006)
Assistant head coach & linebackers coach
Chicago Bears (2007–2008)
Defensive coordinator
Chicago Bears (2009)
Defensive coordinator & linebackers coach
Chicago Bears (2010–2012)
Linebackers coach
Jacksonville Jaguars (2013–2015)
Defensive coordinator
San Diego Chargers (2016)
Linebackers coach
Buffalo Bills (2017–present)
Linebackers coach
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

Might have been mentioned before, Reggie Herring.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reggie_Herring

Would actually a really good hire. Plus, he now has a lot of NFL level 3-4 experience coaching LB'ers.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Pagac

Fred Pagac. Hasn't been in college ranks for a while but was a long time coach as tOSU, has recently been the OLB coach in the NFL and has 3-4 experience. College experience includes nearly 20 years as the LB coach for ohio state, before moving up to DC and asst HC.

bennyl08

Gary Gibbs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Gibbs

Former HC of Oklahoma. LB experience for the 3-4 in the NFL, obviously has college experience.

ricepig

bennyl08

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sal_Sunseri

Sal Sunseri. Has 3-4 NFL experience. Massive college experience in about every possible position.

bennyl08

Quote from: ricepig on February 10, 2017, 09:00:41 pm
https://twitter.com/RazorbackFB/status/830249428191690752

That was totally going to be my next post ;)

(only half joking. Wiki had a list of coaching staffs for the whole NFL so I was browsing through any LB coach or assist to the LB coach, so he was on my list of tabs...)

nchogg

Welcome Coach Walker. :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

PorkSoda

"Less than a week removed from coaching in Super Bowl LI, Walker becomes the second addition to Arkansas' defensive staff this offseason after spending the last two seasons with the Falcons"

"Walker spent two seasons as a defensive assistant on Nick Saban's staff at LSU, handling quality control duties"

"His two seasons at Oklahoma featured an 11-2 record in 2013 that included a win over Alabama in the Sugar Bowl."

seems to have a habit of being in the right place at the right time...
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PonderinHog

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 11, 2017, 04:11:28 pm

seems to have a habit of being in the right place at the right time...
I hope that wears off on his linebackers...

Jonteviosk

Jus curious what does this guys resume look like as far as handling 3-4 scheme.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Jonteviosk on February 12, 2017, 06:43:34 am
Jus curious what does this guys resume look like as far as handling 3-4 scheme.

Stellar in that regard.

Jonteviosk

Ive never heard of him that doesn't mean anything I just don't know any of his resume.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

Dropkick

Quote from: Jonteviosk on February 12, 2017, 03:42:36 pm
Ive never heard of him that doesn't mean anything I just don't know any of his resume.
How many assistant coaches have you heard of, anywhere?

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: colbs on February 08, 2017, 09:28:02 am

Loads of projection in that statement. If you're an automobile manufacturer specializing in trucks, and you're installing a quad cab for this year, you're going to be looking for guy to install backseats. You may have built every vehicle in the world, and/or taught others to do so, but you're going to be in the boardroom. You want someone else who already knows what's up to be training and supervising your guys...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 10, 2017, 08:45:56 pm
Bob Babich would be a great, though unlikely hire. 3-4 experience, some college experience though several decades ago. Decent NFL DC for a few years even.

Tulsa (1984)
Graduate assistant
Tulsa (1985–1987)
Outside linebackers coach & tight ends coach
Wisconsin (1985–1987)
Tulsa (1990)
Bowling Green (1991)
Inside linebackers coach
East Carolina (1992–1993)
Inside linebackers coach
Pittsburgh (1994–1995)
Linebackers coach
Pittsburgh (1996)
Linebackers coach & special teams coach
North Dakota State (1997–2002)
Head coach
St. Louis Rams (2003)
Linebackers coach
Chicago Bears (2004–2005)
Linebackers coach
Chicago Bears (2006)
Assistant head coach & linebackers coach
Chicago Bears (2007–2008)
Defensive coordinator
Chicago Bears (2009)
Defensive coordinator & linebackers coach
Chicago Bears (2010–2012)
Linebackers coach
Jacksonville Jaguars (2013–2015)
Defensive coordinator
San Diego Chargers (2016)
Linebackers coach
Buffalo Bills (2017–present)
Linebackers coach
did you really take the time to type all of the above ?  goodness gracious sakes alive, if you did, you should be the LB coach for you are tougher than any coach we could hire
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

bennyl08

Nobody tell him copy paste exists. I want to keep my internet tough points. :)

PonderinHog

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 12, 2017, 07:04:20 pm
You're a bad man, Benny!

ricepig

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 12, 2017, 07:04:20 pm

He'd probably just eat it......

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on February 12, 2017, 07:27:20 pm
He'd probably just eat it......

Tastes like peppermint.....